Strange request: Anyone willing to mentor?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Strange request: Anyone willing to mentor?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Strange request: Anyone willing to mentor?

This might not be the right place to put this, but I figured I'd ask it anyway... Is anyone willing to mentor an average aspiring artist?

I don't know any way to get better. I've been trying and trying, and unfortunately the pictures all look extremely sub-par compared to the stuff I see here drawn in a day! 0.o
    Now here's a little background:
    I've been drawing for around 10 years, but you couldn't tell it, because I truthfully don't draw daily, and when I do draw, it tends to be the same type of thing over and over. Let alone, little pieces all the time. It just gets frustrating really quickly to see artists spit things out that would take me seriously like 2 weeks to do. I just don't know where to go for assistance. I'm in school for graphic design (which seems a lot different than I expected it to be, but hopefully it'll help land me some form of job) when I'd really like to doing some form of concept art or 'free-er' art than the constricted graphic design art. I originally wanted to be an enviornmental artist for VGs (3D or otherwise), but quickly changed my tune when I noticed how not only is the industry itself not family friendly, but I'd need to increase my skill 100-fold to even be on par. I've been trying to participate in the DSGs but I only get like 5% done with a single piece a day. Ugh... sorry I'm rambling.

ANYWAY... the point I'm trying to make with all this is:
    A) Is there anyone that can point me in the right direction for art instruction or whatever?
    B) Someone that can point me to the right tools to make decent digital art (I'm alright on the traditional media front, with colored pencils at least)?
    And, C) Advice on different art fields and how to get my foot in the door later when I actually feel on par?

Thanks to anyone that responds. Oh, and if you'd like to see a sample of my work, I can e-mail it or post here... might take a few days or something to post due to scanning art. And anyone that wants to respond other than here my e-mail is MalakaiSinClair@yahoo.com

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    With a bit of pointing in the right direction, CA is almost a mentor by itself.
    Start a sketchbook in the Sketchbook section, pimp it in your signature and post your doodles in there. You can also pick up the assignments in Seedling's Concept art 101, Idiot Apathy's Peer Project. You can also engage in the community activities like the 3CH or the Creature of the week, these should stop you from always drawing the same thing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Qitsune! :-)

Malakai, this place is teeming with potential mentors. Try perhaps leaving some comments and critiques for folks whose work you admire, and ask them to stop by your sketchbook thread to give feedback on your work. If any among those who reply strike you as mentor material, then ask them if they would continue to help you learn. They'll be flattered by the request. :-)

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What supplies would I need? I've been hearing that lots of digital artists use a Wacom tablet (digi-art seems to be my forte)
    I have no idea how they work other than they look like a giant mouse pad with a pen lol.
    I've just recently started up a sketchbook, so maybe you guys could check some of that stuff out? I'm going to start posting in sketchbooks for artists that I enjoy and maybe the more my post count goes up, the more people will look at mine. I suppose it's all about quantity versus quality at this point. As long as I keep drawing, it should improve steadily... I hope.

Thanks for replying guys!

Oh and seedling -- you are a video game artist? How is that field... I've been so scared of entering it because of not only the fact of needing improvement and the competition, but the consumption of actual time. I've heard that you have to work like 60 hour work weeks or something... UGH this was my dream when I was younger, but now I have a fiancee and might be starting a family soon. I hear it's not a very family friendly industry. I just want to have time to spend with <generic kid name here> so that I can actually have an effect on my child while still making decent amounts of cash (Last I checked game artists are supposed to make ~30k starting?). Like I said... I'm scared of it because I need my own time as well. Any advice on what it's like in the field?

Last edited by Mat Kaminski; March 27th, 2007 at 03:41 PM.
    My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.