Parental Convincing...

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Parental Convincing...

So...the other day I was discussing the fact that I just been accept to Art Center College of Design to my dad. I had found out, not until after being accepted, that only a few of my credits would probably transfer and that I will basically have to "Start over" at ACCD. I am currently finishing up my third year at Humboldt State University...

My dad got into an upset response and his commentary came down to this:
    "I see no reason for you to spend three+ years at that college when you instead could finish up at your school (currently Humboldt State) and THEN get and MFA at Art Center..."

I would be an Illustration Major, FYI.

So I looked up Art Center's MFA programs and I'm not finding an Illustration MFA...

We are going to fly down to Art Center and have a "talk" with the administration to discuss wavering classes and so forth.

I've tried explaining to my dad the REASON they don't want to accept practically any of my art courses is because their program is VERY precise and meant for a certain field of study.

I've actually started looking up Art Academy in SF as a backup option since they have both a BA and an MFA in Illustration and seem to accept more credits than ACCD.

So what I'm asking you guys is how I might be able to convince my dad to let me transfer with the reasoning of letting me try and get my BA Illustration.

OR

If I am in fact wrong in my transferring idea and should in fact just finish up at Humboldt and then get an MFA Illustration at AA SF?

Carpe Diem.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Masters degrees in art are largely pointless. For that matter, so is any degree in art. It's all education, and what you do with that education, that matters.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Check out the forums at www.pensketch.com, it's run by Art Center Students. I had a lot of questions about going there as well and they gave some really good advice as I'm sure they would, that might help you talk to your dad about going there.

Art Centers MFA program (or more specifically from what I know, their industrial design/enviromental mfa program) is excellent. Some really great alumni graduated from that school from their MFA programs. But yeah, definetly check out pensketch, I'm sure they'll help ya.

Best if luck to ya.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I definately see your father's POV on this one. You are so close to finishing a degree where you are, plus one more yr at the uni and two at an art school will add up to the same time spent, but bonus "expertise" should you ever want to do something like teach college courses later (or sooner) in life.

My question is why you waited until your third yr to transfer and didn't contact Art Center in the beginning of your school career to see what classes were applicable?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also keep in mind, that if you wait till you get your degree you won't be able to get any federal aid for school.
    I have a friend who was in a situation like you. He was a year away from graduating at a regular university before he decided he wanted to get into art, and since he needed the federal aid to be able to afford going Ringling (and yes, he had to start all over just like you would) he left the universty before he graduated to go to Ringling.

So that's just something to keep in mind. But if money really isn't an issue for you, then I would just finish up the degree.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirana
    I definately see your father's POV on this one. You are so close to finishing a degree where you are, plus one more yr at the uni and two at an art school will add up to the same time spent, but bonus "expertise" should you ever want to do something like teach college courses later (or sooner) in life.

My question is why you waited until your third yr to transfer and didn't contact Art Center in the beginning of your school career to see what classes were applicable?

I basically came back Fall semester 06 3 weeks late because I had planned to study abroad for a semester. The program had fallen apart (in England) and I had to come back and catch up in all my coursework - at teh same time I was developing my portfolio for Art Center...

Soooo...that's the reason I'm a bit behind and got a late start at the same time.

Carpe Diem.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seedling is absolutely right, as all working professionals know. However, Seedling, there seems to be no way to get many folks to believe that it's all what you know, what you can do - as demonstrated to potential employers by your portfolio.It's also your professionalism - your ability to take direction, meet deadlines and work with other people. You can get get the skills you need, if you're lucky and find the right school, in one place or you could study different things in different places at several art schools and/or ateliers and come out stronger than folk with masters degrees.

Is your father wondering if all the tuition money will lead to a career? I undertsand that a large percentage of BFA holders don't find employment. Once again, think about the quality and depth of professional training that you will receive. Ask how many graduates find employment in their fields, and get it in writing.

Last edited by Maxine Schacker; March 22nd, 2007 at 04:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Special K
    Soooo...that's the reason I'm a bit behind and got a late start at the same time.
    It's better late than never. Ultimately your parents want you to be happy. Sometimes they just don't understand the field your plan on going into but that's okay; you just need to convince them that you will be happy doing this as a LIFELONG career. Show them examples of where you can get work, tell them of how much this field has expanded and of all of the opportunities out there. When they ask you awkward questions- don't take it personally; they actually have an answer they're looking for. You just need to catch your breath for a second and tailor your answer to let them hear what it is they want to hear. I'm not saying lie to them but give them cause to believe in your choices (they want to!).

Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Storyboard Dave
    It's better late than never. Ultimately your parents want you to be happy. Sometimes they just don't understand the field your plan on going into but that's okay; you just need to convince them that you will be happy doing this as a LIFELONG career. Show them examples of where you can get work, tell them of how much this field has expanded and of all of the opportunities out there. When they ask you awkward questions- don't take it personally; they actually have an answer they're looking for. You just need to catch your breath for a second and tailor your answer to let them hear what it is they want to hear. I'm not saying lie to them but give them cause to believe in your choices (they want to!).

Good luck.
    That's EXACTLY right... thank you for the personal answer. I've been discussing and throwing ideas back and forth with my Dad. He's a smart guy- he owns his own company so I would hope so!

We figured out that I would talk to the companies AND the people who have graduated from Art Center about the outcome of an MFA OR a BA Illus. @ Art Center...
    I've decided to e-mail my dad some Resumes of people who have worked from Art Center with just the BA in Illustration.

I found out yesterday that only 12 credits transfered, but that's better than nothing. That almost takes away a semester??? XD

Anyways...
    I gave a talk with my dad which explained how WONDERFUL an opportunity like this occurred and that I feel with Art Center I will be propelled into a job industry that I have desired since I was a lil artist.

I'm willing to work hard for this placement and I appreciate all the help you guys have given me!!!
    *tearful hug*

In the end, I realize that any which way I go I will still end up pretty damn comfy in life...
    (which is always awesome.)

Carpe Diem.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Credits" can be ambigious...how many classes transferred?

Hmm, any which way you go you'll have to work hard! I don't know how "comfy" that might be...satisfying, perhaps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirana
    "Credits" can be ambigious...how many classes transferred?

Hmm, any which way you go you'll have to work hard! I don't know how "comfy" that might be...satisfying, perhaps.
    3 credits per class.... so 4 classes transferred.
    Hahaha comfy as in I won't have to worry about loans or being in this whole thing by myself!
    I think I'm lucky to have such support...
    And trust me...I the hard work... why do ya think I'm trying so hard to convince just my parents!!!

Carpe Diem.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.