Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: scribbles 'n things (traditional & digital)

Thanks
    You're really coming along nicely! It's cool to see the difference from the first page to the last, so much improvement! Haha it's fun that you were afraid to post humans 'cause you weren't too good at them and now look at those portraits! Amazing! Congrats and keep it up!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckyCharm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I can not call it a approved method but if i have problems with the proportion I myself do one of these three things:

1. Trying to convert the object into simple forms.
    I find them easier to compare.

2. I start out with a "starting line". (One line of the object)
    Everytime I draw another line of the object I compare it to my "starting line".
    Is the other line in comparision to the other too big or to small?
    And so on.

3. Try to look at the nagative space of the object. For example I like to imagine a square which is my frame. This helps me if I am too focused on the proportions of the object but I seem not to go anywhere with it.

Other than that I wish you fun while improving and hope you can get to the level you want yourself to be.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Warforce17 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

update

LuckyCharm: thanks, I'm glad you see so much progress!
    It's true, sometimes it feels like learning starts all over again, at each drawing or painting. Although I know I must be learning stuff. It's not easy to pinpoint exactly what I've learned, it is somewhat diffuse. Quite unlike learning for an exam for example, where you know it, or you don't.
    I do have a better, firmer understanding of drawing people now

Warforce17: thanks! I'm sure I've read all these tips somewhere before, but it's good you remind me of them. I shall have to incorporate them into a more structured approach to becoming a better artist.
    I am having fun while drawing/painting, so I've got that part covered.
    Thanks for the encouraging words, I'll take 'em to heart.

Went back to a few older works that were lying around and tried to make them better. Also went ahead with a flower painting.
    Update on Darth Maul is due, took a crappy picture. Need to change some things.

I know it's not much conceptart lately, but that'll change soon enough.

Attachment 1377043

Attachment 1377044

Attachment 1377045
    "...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks

update..chaos!

Ok, so I was going to finish Darth Maul, and the portrait of the woman, and the flower, and the creatures.... and... but, but.. I started some other drawings instead!
    Lol, I laugh at my brain. Stubborn brain.

Ah well, here it is, more stuff to finish. But first, the Darth Maul, the portrait of the... you get it.

sketches of women, painted in acrylics, kinda rough

Attachment 1377924

dragon, old sketch I decided could use some paint. Work in Progress.

Attachment 1377926

sketch for a bookcover of a friend of mine.
    The book concerns a sort of Buddha/Christ kinda dude. Seeking truth.

Attachment 1377927

Sketches of badgerskull and badger.

Attachment 1377928
    "...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks

updateje

Ok, so I've started to open some sketches in photoshop and see if I can push them into the digital realm.
    I know next to nothing of photoshop, so no shortcuts, just handpicking colors (greyscale atm) with a round brush,
    setting opacity to either 100 to block out forms and then to roughly 50 to fill in those forms.
    No idea if this is anywhere near what you're supposed to do, but only one way to learn it - and that is just do it.

Still work in progress, so lots of unfinished areas (still fiddling around with composition, where the wings and legs and arms should go and so on). The sketches are somewhere in my sketchbook - I dunno, maybe I should put them side by side for comparison?

If you'd be so kind as to rip it to shreds - I need to build a digital portfolio within a week - lol ! Thanks in advance. And stay tuned!

Attachment 1378065

Attachment 1378067

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks

update

Hey peoples of CA!

For now, a small update - still working on digital portfolio.
    Holy crap - what have I gotten myself into.

I've put off working in photoshop for quite a while as I want to get better at workin in traditional media.
    But who am I kidding: I want to be a better visual artist - in any medium available. Including photoshop.
    So, I shall venture forth drawing, painting and photoshopping into the future.
    I really want to become the best I can be - and make a living with my art eventually.

So. Even if I don't get the small job that I might get through a friend, I'm learning shitloads in photoshop right now.
    Did anyone ever notice that building light/shadow is a pain? I've got to understand that sometime too.

I have put up the original sketches as well, for comparison.
    Any tips/tricks/advice on improving these?

Attachment 1378630

Attachment 1378634
    Last edited by Harmageddon; December 8th, 2011 at 04:08 PM.

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks

update

I managed to do very little in the past 2 days - so much other stuff going on in life, so few hours in the day
    So without further ado, a shameless bump of my sketchbook.

I did do a colortest on the catdemon thing, took about 10 minutes.
    Since I have seen many more professional guys on these boards making black/white drawings first and slapping on colors later, I figured I'd do the same.
    It does seem to work as you don't really have to think about colors when drawing. Figuring out and trying all kinds of brush options.
    How to color those things efficiently I don't know yet - but I'm learning a lot and I see potential in the options Photoshop has to offer.
    Drew everything with a round brush, sizes 90 something to about 16 at the smallest.

Hopefully a big update soon.

Thanks for looking, H.

Attachment 1380151
    Last edited by Harmageddon; December 11th, 2011 at 07:00 AM.

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks

update

...but first a small update

I've been practicing in photoshop - this time, an old environment sketch that I've decided to finish in photoshop. Work in progress. . .

My workflow is very chaotic btw; the sketch for this is on the 2nd page I think. Sorry if that makes following the process somewhat harder.

H.

Attachment 1380997

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks

update

Man, I feel ashamed of the quality of my work of late.

Been browsing some sketchbooks and hot damn!
    There is so much serious asskicking going on I may as well quit.
    20year olds tumbling over one another, outclassing me on every turn.

Fuck it.

I will go on to crawl from under the crumbs that are left for me to feed on and I will kick ass, damnit!
    All I have to do, is remember that it will take a while before I do so.
    Just bide my time, keep working, working, working and then, when everyone's asleep: bam! Whaddaf*ck? Awesomeness!
    *keeps dreams alive*

For now, 2 more scribbles in photoshop. Put in some backgrounds this time.

till next time, thanks for looking,
    I'll keep working, H.

Attachment 1381681

Attachment 1381683

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks

update

Sorry for the ramblings in the previous post.
    I'm drawing quite a lot lately and there are definately some improvements.
    So I should be happy. It just feels that I'm not improving fast enough.

I guess we all go through those feelings once in a while, so no worries there.

A small update; still working on my digital pieces, but I cannot help it, so I'm sketching in between. I just like making new things I guess.
    Here's a few sketches and a small update on the painting of the dragon.
    Any comments or crits are much appreciated.

Keep it up, all of you! H.

a bee-man
    Attachment 1383029
    a bladeling, which is a monster from the roleplaying game Dungeons&Dragons
    Attachment 1383030
    a deathbringer, which is a monster from the roleplaying game Dungeons&Dragons
    Attachment 1383031
    ..update on the painting of the dragon
    Attachment 1383033

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Hey there my friend! Good thing that you are working really hard! Nice updates. I really like this, Darth Maul painting and this. Allthough I think the lips should be more tilted, they are not in the same line with the eyes now. I think your face proportions are looking good, you just have to take the time on each work to make the measurements and see for example how tilted the head is and how it affects the facial features. Anyways good job, keep it up! Also I envy you imagination with these creatures.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Satu For This Useful Post:

Thanks

update

Hey guys and gals!
    Welcome, to another fascinating episode of..... update!
    An ongoing series in which multiple storylines are intertwined and plots revolve around one another in an ever ongoing quest for perfection.
    And deep, immersive characters will keep you coming back for more.

"Ok," you say. "I see the multiple intertwined storylines. In other words: chaos."
    "But where are the deep, immersive characters?"

Ah, well, you'll have to keep coming back here to get to know them, eh?

Satupeikko: thanks, my friend! Yeah, the painting of the woman is still a work in progress; needs some tweaking still. It has been stopped for now, since I'm working very hard to build a digital portfolio that might get me a small job as an illustrator. *fingers crossed* .. no, cannot draw like this! *uncrosses fingers* phew!
    Btw: fairy tale ogre? Are you like, a 10ft (3meters) tall fairy?

.. so, some practicing environments coloring (b/w) in photoshop, a colortest on the zergling thing and some posemaniacs where I just drew the pose for like 10 minutes, to learn where muscles go. Feels like I'm learning a little more about anatomy - but still a long, long way to go.
    Attachment 1383859

Attachment 1383860

Attachment 1383862

Attachment 1383863

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Haha nope I'm more like 100-150 meters tall goblin from tha fairytales. True story. Wikipedia even has a very good description of me: "A goblin is a legendary evil or mischievous creature, a grotesquely evil or evil-like phantom." Yeah.
    Anyways I would still like to see more darker values on your pencil drawings. Or is it just the scanner that lightens them?

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast