Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: scribbles 'n things (traditional & digital)

Thanks

update

Windmaker: thanks man! That means a lot, coming from you. *Bows for Windmaker* I hope to be able to do what you do someday soon.

I've not been as productive as I would have liked, but hey, real life has other interesting things to indulge myself in. Anyway, I have been sketching some more.

Joined the COW challenge, mariana trench beatst, then drew nothing for 2days. Hope to finish the beast today though.

Ive also started modifying the bulette/landshark sketch from a few posts back.
    Painting/drawing digitally is a whole new realm, so it still is rather intimidating. But also very cool. I'm learning with every stroke of the pen, it seems.
    Hopefully, I'll pick up the tricks and tools pretty quick. We'll see.

I have set myself on drawing the enitre book of Hogarth, cover to cover, for studies. That'll take a while, but it will hopefully assist in understanding human anatomy, as that is still a rather weak spot.
    I should probably do more environments too, but I can't do everything at once - so that will have to wait a month or two.

Any comments/crits are welcome.
    Thanks for looking.

Attachment 1292023

Attachment 1292024

Attachment 1292029

Attachment 1292030

Attachment 1292031
    "...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

update

Well, my foray into digital painting is fun - yet also frustrating at times.
    I feel like I'm learning to draw all over again - yet way faster than before.

I've set myself the task to draw 5 pages of Hogarth's book every day
    (save sunday, because as a creator, I like to rest
    So far, I almost made it. Now at page 46.
    I hope to have drawn the entire book by the end of next month.

Painting is slower than I wish, and drawing, well, also.
    But here it is: an update nonetheless!
    Some posemaniacs, sketches from Spartacus (great series!)
    sketches for COW challenge: demon whisperer and a photoshop
    attempt at an orc. Supposed to be eye-gouger, for Chow but started way too late.

Attachment 1297404

Attachment 1297406

Attachment 1297407

Attachment 1297420

Attachment 1297410

Attachment 1297412

Attachment 1297416
    "...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks

update

Figured I might as well post some of these Hogarth studies.
    I try and make 5 a day of these; hopefully it will help me progress drawing humans from imagination better.
    I will not post them all because there's a pile of them already, and I think it's far more interesting for visitors to my SB to see all kinds of things going on.

I realized I not only suck at drawing humans, but also that my understanding of light and color is, well, kind of, absent. So I will try and conquer that mountain in the coming weeks.
    Updates might be somewhat slow, as I should also get very busy painting for an expo soon - I'll post some progress on the paintings when there is some. Peace.

Attachment 1297998

Attachment 1298000

Attachment 1298001

Attachment 1298002

Attachment 1298003

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Leaps and bounds man! New stuff is looking great. Just remember to not confine yourself to the hogarth styling, study many different masters -loomis, bridgeman, so that you don't end up drawing in one style.
    Watch proportion, negative space and measuring - some of the legs where they meet the hips is very skinny.

And I know you're probably itching to dive into light and color, but perhaps start with value studies. It looks like you only use one pencil for most of your drawings. Try using a couple different levels (I prefer all B's, 2, 6, 9). Just when you think it looks pretty good, you put another level of value in there and kapow! It starts really coming together.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to carakhan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,281 Posts
    i REALLY DIG ALL YER DRAGONS AN ANIMAL CREATURES AN AWESOME STUDIES XD

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks

minor update

carakhan: thanks! Really? Great! Then it seems to be working
    I know I should study other stuff besides Hogarth on anatomy as well.
    I am actually doing 30 posemaniacs a day, and well, since there's only so much I can do at once,
    I decided to plow through Hogarth first. Now on page 50 something.
    At 5 pages a day, I'll be done with that one in about a month from now.
    Then, I'll turn to Loomis, Bridgeman, I don't know yet.
    Thanks on reminding me I should experiment with different pencils too!
    I'll get to that in the coming week.
    SMILEFACE: thanks man! I hope they get more awesome soon!

Did another 5 Hogarth pages and some posemaniacs.
    This is turning into my current recipe to improve on human anatomy.
    Which I can then use to make awesome stuff later!
    But I figured those are too boring to post.
    So instead; some other sketches I made today, and update on a painting.

Attachment 1298716

Attachment 1298717

Attachment 1298718

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Heh yea the only reason I point it out to anyone I see studying one particular figure master is because when I was in school people went around talking about Hogarth like there was no other expert on the subject, and then they all started rendering in his style in all their work as if that was the only way to draw a person.
    And pose maniacs is good for gestures or quick studies, but they aren't really anatomically correct, just simple 3d figures.
    I like the new warrior dude with the ax, the values in there are starting to look cool! For the guy next to him (same guy?) think about what would make him more dynamic. If he was swinging a huge ax, he would need to compensate by having a wider stance. His legs are really stiff.
    keep it up dude

11. The Following User Says Thank You to carakhan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,240 Times in 800 Posts
    Really like the Hogarth studies; it looks like it's really helping you to think about the figure as a complex form made up of simpler 3-dimensional shapes. It's nice to see that you're putting so much time into your posemaniacs studies, but I don't think those are really helping you in this particular area. It looks like you're pretty much just copying the outlines of the shapes that you see without really thinking about how the figure exists in space. Think about arms and legs as cylinders and the pelvis as a box or jar, and so on. Use wrapping lines that follow the surface of the form to help you image the volume and mass of what you're drawing. That will really help you when drawing the figure to different angles and perspectives from imagination. And when you're done with Hogarth, I suggest you try out Figure Drawing Design and Invention.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks

update

@carakhan: thanks. I understand, I really have somewhat of a personal style already although that might change around completely.
    I figured since I've neglected drawing humans for so long, I should just do a speed course
    and get as much information on the human figure in my head in as little a time as possible.
    And since I don't feel like drawing bones and muscles all the time, Hogarth seemed a quick and easy beginning for starters.
    Although I've learned it is not THAT easy.
    Yeah, the legs of the axe swinging guy are stiff - it's actually reffed from pictures I found at mjranum DEVIANT gallery
    I'll keep it up, girl! You too, huh?

@dierat: thanks! I'm glad you like my Hogarth copies.
    Hogarth is excellent study material, indeed!
    Yeah the posemaniacs are for now just outlines, trying to quickly copy the form, without thinking too much about what's going on.
    Although I do feel that doing Hogarth studies simultaneously makes me look at posemaniacs differently.
    In a good way, I think.
    And you're right, I should probably use wrapping lines to get a feel for 3D shapes in space.
    It just feels too much like work instead of play.
    Then again, I try to playfully work my ass of as I really want to get better at drawing, and soon, painting humans, without reference.

@both of you: Thanks for taking the time to write in my SB.
    I'm sorry for my late reply. I have this personal rule not to post in my own SB without adding at least one picture,
    and meanwhile I've been busy breaking out a wall in my house, which results in large dustclouds, no painting and little sketching.
    Maybe I should reconsider my rule of no picture, no post.

But here's a little study/sketch of birds (how fitting ) I made yesterday.

Attachment 1303353

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 604 Posts
    I like the birds & wolves studies and the first 4 creatures/characters of #67
    & the fact that you haven't been slacking at all - wasn't too long ago since I visited and you have done a lot since.

One thing though - several of your sketches are very nice, but still very rough - and you can do good lines as seen in

scribbles 'n things (traditional & digital)

& wouldn't it be nice to take some of your best to their full conclusion at least in the way of line?

I think it would be rewarding for you both progress wise and motivational.
    SB. p31 updated 25.04.2012.

Thanks

update

@dan liimatta: thanks man. Your visits are much appreciated.
    It feels as though I'm slacking, but maybe it isn't that bad. I don't know.
    Seems there's always so much more I could have done...anyway.
    You are absolutely spot on with your advice.
    I'll take it to heart and finish off (at least linework wise) some sketches in the coming days. I'll let you know if it works motivation wise.

oh and a sketch from today - practicing horses.

Attachment 1303501

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Really nice updates here! I've been actually visiting here every time you update something but haven't got really that much time to comment on other people's beautiful sketchbooks. Will try to pull myself together on that!

Anyways you have produced some really good studies! You're anatomy is already starting to look better and better and it is really good that you are starting to do more experimenting with the values and adding the more darker values on your drawings also like in this one. It is also good that you are doing posemaniac studies but I agree with dierat that you should try to see the actual figure and its form and movement more when doing these studies. Try to really feel the movement and empathize to it. Glen Vilppu video's and book have been a great help for me on that! It would be really good if you could get your hands on some of his videos. He makes things really easy to understand and his humour makes them also really fun to watch! It would be also cool to see more still-life studies from you. I have done them pretty much myself lately and I already feel that they have somewhat improved my values and overall perception.

Don't think too much about other people's progress and if someone is making a quicker improvement than you. Also don't take too many projects at a same time that you don't get overly stressed! You have already made nice improvements since page 1 and I see a really good talent in you! Everyone makes their own journey and improve on their own speed. We cannot know what the future has to offer us but the most important thing is that you just enjoy the journey and that you do what you love to do. Or these are the things that I have learned while lurking here Just keep practising and you do keep better with every pencil stroke you make. Don't get discouraged!

Thanks

update

Finally, I'm back!

It's been a while .... I decided to redecorate my house, well the one I rent from my parents anyway, and took out a wall, the ceiling, the old electrical circuits and put a wood burning fireplace in the room. That took a little more of my time than I anticipated.

So drawing, and painting, has been on the backburner for a while.
    But it itches, it tickles...I have to get back to drawing and painting soon!

I attached a sketch of some birds (reffed from pictures on the internetz), about 5 to 10 min. each. Just to have something to justify an update.
    But you guys and gals deserve more. Stay tuned, for I'm about to unleash myself unto the world.

Satupeikko: thanks so much for your kind words.
    Yeah, I usually also browse several, sometimes dozens of sketchbooks and finished stuff without leaving a comment at all. Or sometimes one or two. That's how it goes.

I'll improve myself, both as a person and as an artist. Because deep down I know I've always wanted to be one. I just got derailed, and demotivated because of other stuff. Is it useful to the world? Isn't it better if I'd help improve science, or human rights? Or nature? But I'm beginning to realize that we are all good at something. And cultivating that, we can do more for the world and the people around us, than could be measured or calculated easily. There's just too many variables to take into account. So I'll try and bring joy to the world, being me and drawing and painting my inner world into this one. I hope it inspires someone, somewhere.

I just want to say to all of you that are on this board: keep up the great work! Improve yourself, for you yourself are the best tool you'll ever get. If you enjoy drawing, painting, art in general, keep enjoying it! There is too much money-making, planet-raping shit going on anyway. All of you bring joy and happiness, and beauty into this world. And everyone of us needs more of that. You are the frontrunners for a better world, all of you. I can't be bothered to copy/paste this into every sketchbook I lurk in, but this is for all of you on this board.

Attachment 1337785

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast