Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: scribbles 'n things (traditional & digital)

Thanks

update

dierat: thanks dudette! I'm trying to push forward, and following mainly the most read advice on these boards: draw more.
    Thanks for your constructive criticism, very much appreciated.

I agree, I start fiddling with small brushes too soon and that is why my work is not as crisp as I would like it to be -
    or in your words, my work seems muddy.
    I said that in another sketch book somewhere, true
    I think most of my crits on other's people's work are kind of crits of my own work too. (I don't know if that goes for you, too I'm just explaining myself)
    I try to simplify forms and get the essentials down quicker, working with bigger brushes (also when I'm painting in oils or acrylics) to force myself to learn that.
    I do enjoy detailing stuff though, so when I stray and lose focus, I suddenly wake up finding myself drawing hairs on an animal or something similar.
    I do find rendering in photoshop more tedious than with real paint somehow, but I guess that's also just an area to work on.
    Thanks again, I'll try your advice and render the shit out of a piece of fruit or cuttlery or something. Cheers.

Some stuff I'm working on; more wips. I couldn't help myself
    Minas Morgul and IronMan. Studies. Both reffed (obviously)

Attachment 1398497

Attachment 1398500
    "...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,240 Times in 800 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harmageddon View Post
    I agree, I start fiddling with small brushes too soon and that is why my work is not as crisp as I would like it to be -
    or in your words, my work seems muddy.
    I said that in another sketch book somewhere, true
    I think most of my crits on other's people's work are kind of crits of my own work too. (I don't know if that goes for you, too I'm just explaining myself)
    Yeah, I get that too. Sometimes I'll be in the middle of writing a crit and realize that I'm describing a problem I suffer from myself and that I should stfu and take my own advice But that's one of the many benefits of critiquing the work of others. It allows you to see problems similar to your own but from a fresh perspective. Or something like that ^^

Thanks

update

dierat: yeah, exactly.

small update. . .
    little more work on the Minas Morgul study, some lion sketches.

Attachment 1399021

Attachment 1399022
    "...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks

update

study study study...
    spam spam spam

small update on the iron man (trying to convey metal) and a crabman

Attachment 1399503

Attachment 1399504

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Cool updates! The enviro and the shark in post #123 looks really good. I also love the horse painting and the iron man! I think you are pretty good with colors already. I would like to see some more value studies from you though. And of course anatomy studies, but these latest muscle dudes are looking fine. Keep it up!!
    Last edited by Satu; January 14th, 2012 at 07:00 AM. Reason: spelling errors

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Satu For This Useful Post:

Thanks

update

Satupeikko: thanks! I'll keep it up *nnggg*

I'm quite happy with the colors on the latest studies.
    For me, Now I should probably focus on using bigger brushes longer and getting the right shape with correct proportions down faster.
    I do intend to practice my ability to polish these pieces to their finish (at least as far as I'm able to) because I'm still pretty much
    lacking in that department. It's not so much lazyness, as chaos. Or creativity. Whatever you call it.
    Don't feel to creative atm though; doing mostly studies to get better.

small update.. I was not very productive these past few days.
    Then again, been seeing some friends, have been climbing, celebrated the birthday of one of my sisters.. in short, life. It was good.

Update on the iron man study and the painting of the arab horse. Both reffed.
    Meh. Crappy picture quality of the horse. Oh well.

Attachment 1401166

Attachment 1401167

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks

update

Some studies from photos over at portraitphotos.
    Both are still wips, made them both in the past 2 hours or so.
    Old man is hard.. but interesting.

Sorry for the spam, next update will take a while, with some real stuff in it

Attachment 1401313

Attachment 1401314

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    I agree with dierat.
    I think you need to simplify your workflow. I can imagine that right now you might be overwhelmed by the amount of information you have to put into a painting all at once and it can be very depressing to not be able to do it.
    I would even go as far as to say that you would greatly benefit from focusing on value studies and saving colors for later.
    Right now there's a weird mix of hard and soft edges going in your paintings and the messy lines make everything look really dirty and muddy.
    So work with big brushes(preferably hard edged), only paint in black&white and try to do as many studies as you can.
    You will eventually develop a more efficient workflow which will drastically improve the appeal of your paintings. Until then, say goodbye to details.
    Hope that helps

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Xelar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

update

Xelar: Thanks for taking the time to help me out regarding color in Photoshop.
    I had to read your comment twice though
    First, I just wanted to say "f#ck you, you photoshop smartass" - because I felt you used a way to negative vibe to express your concerns.
    But then I realized you are right. My colors in photoshop are muddy.

Actually, I am not so much overwhelmed, nor depressed about what I have to put into a painting in general.
    I have been depressed a few years ago about other stuff, and let me tell you, don't go there. It is very destructive.
    I am overwhelmed by the tricks and special options in photoshop - there's so much to learn! I find it mostly exciting.
    Although I do tend to want to learn everything right now, instead of gradually.
    I find it very hard to grasp mixing of colors in Photoshop and way easier to apply color in drawings or paintings.
    I guess it has to do with color theory? and I just wanted to be a photoshop whizzkid in 2 weeks.
    So yeah, a little frustration there. I'm no whizzkid yet.
    However, I managed to learn a great deal already. So I'm happy.

I took a step back, looked around and realized that I have piles and piles of paintings lying around, demanding to be finished.
    And I want to make more paintings as well. Many, many more.
    Of course, I also want to improve in photoshop, and work to become a conceptartist one day.
    But first things first.

Update on a painting from ages ago. Decided this one is going to be finished first. Unless it is overtaken in the left lane by another painting
    By the painting of a lion I recently started, for example.

Till next time, thanks for watching and Xelar, thanks again dude.
    Much appreciated.

Attachment 1402935

Attachment 1402936
    Last edited by Harmageddon; January 18th, 2012 at 06:04 AM. Reason: speljink erros

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Sorry if I was being too harsh!
    People on Conceptart are much more critical than on other art sites and
    I always find constructive criticism way more helpful/motivating than praise, even though it can be very unpleasant at times.
    I was referring pretty much just to your digital work, by the way. The colors on the lion from the last update are gorgeous and so are the values.
    The reason why I said you should focus on b&w was that the update from January 15th. Considering that I had a similar approach when I started in Photoshop I know what would have helped me improve. It looked like you haven't quite figured out the optimal brush settings yet and tried to handle everything at once: proportions, brush settings, values, hues, saturation.
    Starting out is easier if you take out hues and saturation which also saves you a whole lot of trouble if you're not familiar with picking colors in Photoshop.
    Maybe this is useful for you:
    -use a hard edged round brush
    -enable pen pressure on opacity and size
    -Keep the opacity high (>60%) and flow relatively low (20-40%)

Just because I don't say anything positive doesn't mean I dislike your artwork, it's just that I find the positive things so obvious that I often neglect them!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Xelar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

update

Xelar: thanks man! That is the sort of comment I was hoping for!
    I know you were just trying to help, and you did.
    The faces in the jan 15th post are muddy, blegh, crap studies.
    Color is all over the place and you are right that I had no clue what I was doing.

I find it very hard to comprehend mixing colors in photoshop, and since I have to work on
    anatomy, structure and composition also, it was maybe a bit too much.

Your tip on how to put my pen and tablet settings is golden I'm sure!
    That's the stuff I want to hear: concrete, to the point, and forward.
    Thank you so much.

As soon as I get back into photoshopping (somewhere next week) I'll use your settings and see where it takes me.
    First, got loads of paintings to finish.

small update on the lion painting..

I've been busy with other stuff, but I'll dump that later, when it's ready.

Thanks for watching, comments/crits appreciated and I'll try and comment some more in other sketchbooks soon. I lurk too much, I say!

Attachment 1404282

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks

update

update on several paintings.
    All works in progress.

I'm going to change the background of the horse, because it's way too boring this way.
    Other than that, I like where they're all going.

Attachment 1405841

Attachment 1405836

Attachment 1405838

Attachment 1405839

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Thanked 1,240 Times in 800 Posts
    Love that tiger, man, and the in-progress shots are beautiful as well. Keep it up!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast