Painter X cursor issue?
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Painter X cursor issue?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Painter X cursor issue?

I don't really know how to explain this issue I've been having with Painter X, so I figure I'll post a picture:

When working, the brush seems to 'skip' at the very end of a stroke to a different position on the page, resulting in these thin lines radiating towards a point. If I position the canvas in a different area it shifts where the lines radiate.

Very frustrating and is unique to Painter. Photoshop has no issues at all!

So far I've reinstalled my tablet drivers (Intous3) and other pointing devices as well (Logitech G7 wireless mouse, Logitech S510 wireless keyboard). All to no avail.

Any advise/suggestions welcome.

Industrial Designer - Illustrator

DMBoyleDesign.com
    DMBoyleDesign Art Blog
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

From your demo image and description, I don't see what this has to do with the cursor. Maybe you can explain a bit more.

Questions:

• What brush variant are you using (exact brush category name and exact brush variant name)?
    • Do you have Straight Line Strokes enabled? (Property Bar, third icon from the left depressed)?

Suggestion:

• Restore all brush variants in the currently loaded brush library to their default state (Brush Selector menu > Restore All Default Variants). Then check to see if the problem remains.

Let us know if that helps and if you can provide any more details.

Good luck!

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i know that such problems are happening with tabletpcs when you are switching between landscape and portrait mode... So my guess is that its a wacomproblem... but I never had the problem with an intuos, so I'm not sure...
    maybe ask the wacom support?

▄▀▄▀▄▀■ - GORILLA ARTFARE - ■▀▄▀▄▀▄

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry, I didn't know how else to describe it so I called it a cursor issue- my bad!

All settings are default, and here's a new image showing the same issue with multiple brushes.

I thought the problem might be the tablet itself, however Painter is the only program that has exhibited any issues, so I'm skeptical.

DMBoyleDesign.com
    DMBoyleDesign Art Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Through continued experimentation I think I may have found the issue.
    Through my Wacom Tablet Properties menu, I have the pen mapping set to 'mouse' because my tablet is large and it's more comfortable to work with.
    Setting the mapping to 'pen' seems to solve my issue with the pen skipping, but it leaves me with the other problem of not working comfortably!

As I've said, Photoshop has had no issues... Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Also, straight line strokes are disabled.

Thanks for the input so far.

DMBoyleDesign.com
    DMBoyleDesign Art Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

If you're using a mouse, I can't make any suggestions except to use your Wacom Intuos 3 tablet and stylus.

I have an Intuos 2 tablet and never use the mouse that came with it. It gathers dust sitting on top of my computer as I use my stylus for everything, both in Painter and everywhere else on my computer.

Mouse(s) (mice?) drive me nuts, they're so cumbersome.

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, I'm talking about the pen mapping feature in the Wacom Tablet Properties window, like this;

Mapping the pen as a 'pen' makes the tablet surface map directly onto the screen. If I tap the lower right corner of the tablet, it taps the lower right corner of the monitor. It's a 1:1 mapping scheme.

If I map the pen as a 'mouse' I'm allowed to pick up my pen and move it around as I would a mouse. This lets me draw more naturally as I can pick up the pen and place it wherever I want.

You'll see what I mean if you have this feature.

DMBoyleDesign.com
    DMBoyleDesign Art Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have that feature and don't use it because it works fine for me in Pen Mode and, from what I've read over the years in many forums, for most people using a Wacom tablet and stylus.

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I understand that, but the point I'm trying to make is that I'm having problems with painter when everything else works fine.

I have a very large tablet. It's 9x12. If I were to set my tablet to 'pen' based mapping I'd have to drag my stylus all the way to the top of my tablet to get to options such as 'File', 'Edit', etc. This is a huge pain. I got the large tablet because I tend to have a very long stroke (long perspective lines, car designs, etc.).

Setting the tablet to 'mouse' based mapping allows me more freedom in stylus movement, I don't have to drag my stylus to the top of the tablet to reach my file options. It behaves more like a mouse in that I need only to move slightly to reach options, etc..

'Mouse' based mapping is the way I prefer to work and it's been fine for Photoshop, Opencanvas, and any other program I've used it with. With Painter I have the issues explained above.

DMBoyleDesign.com
    DMBoyleDesign Art Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

I don't know what else to suggest except that you can customize your keyboard shortcuts to use them for a lot of the menu commands and/or use Custom Palettes to add menu command buttons so with a single click you can initiate a menu command.

If you place your Custom Palette in a convenient location on the screen, that might make it easier for you. Keyboard shortcuts should work in any case, as long as they can be customized for the menu commands you want to use.

Best wishes!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well I could suggest a couple things but I don't know if it will solve your problem.

1. Why not change the mouse speed to see if it helps.
    2. Change the mapping area of your tablet. Instead of using the whole tablet because it is large, have it map a portion of it to the screen.

I think wacom has a training thing for you to get accustomed to using your stylus on large areas too, you might want to try practicing them even if they're boring so you'll get used to the movement with less hassle too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't mind using the tablet set to 'pen' mapping, but I just find it nicer using the 'mouse' setting. I had been using it set to it's default settings for a longest time and then discovered the 'mouse' setting and just prefer it.

I'll try changing the mouse speed to see what happens.

This is really a matter of preference, but I think the issue within Painter should at least be explained. I'm kind of empty handed here.

Thanks for the advise so far even though I don't like it.

DMBoyleDesign.com
    DMBoyleDesign Art Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry, let me explain that again. I'm not talking about pen mapping versus mouse mapping.

You can select an active area of your tablet to make your workspace smaller if you find it too large. That may help with your problem.

Select the Tablet, and you'll see an option for mapping, do not select the pen in this case. Your left area will show an image of the Tablet itself. Select an area you want as active.

This means it's less cumbersome for you to move across such a large area and have pen mode enabled too.

You'll notice I have the tablet flipped, this is because I'm a leftie, and at work I take an intuos 4x5 in which I need the strips active with my non dominate hand XD

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Arshes Nei; March 20th, 2007 at 03:29 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, sorry I know what you mean. But then my big tablet is defeated

Oh what a vicious circle! I'm not giving up though! I'll try anything I can!

Thanks again

DMBoyleDesign.com
    DMBoyleDesign Art Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Espezito
    Yeah, sorry I know what you mean. But then my big tablet is defeated

Oh what a vicious circle! I'm not giving up though! I'll try anything I can!

Thanks again

I can't exactly activate it right now but here's a question, can you make the mapping specific to painter then?

The other thing I guess is cursor orientation in Painter and seeing if that helps.

The other reason I suggested the mouse speed is because it may be clocking your mouse speeds too fast, and maybe either slow down the mouse speed or try seeing if Brush Tracking (in Painter) will take care of the problem.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No dice on either of those options either.

My only guess is that Painter wants me to use the stylus in 'pen' mapping mode, and windows/wacom is telling it different. However, it's strange because it happens sporadically and only at the very end of a stroke, as demonstrated.

I'm assuming something needs patching or some-such...

I'd just use photoshop but I'm in love with painter.

DMBoyleDesign.com
    DMBoyleDesign Art Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry to let you down, but the pen mapping may not be it. I'm having the same issues, and I have mine mapped properly to Pen Mode. Also I'm using Painter 9.5. I was getting ready to start reinstalling drivers and such myself. Apparently this is not a common issue, or we would see more folks chiming in.

Just out of curiosity, what size intous are you using? I'm on the wide format 6x11.

"Stickin feathers up yer butt does not make you a chicken!" -Tyler Durden

Come by Sendak's Playground to check out some of my sketches!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm using the Intuos3 9x12...

I sent a mail off to the painter team at corel to see if they might know anything. Hope they might have some good news.

I've done reinstalls already, no dice.

Woe is me!

DMBoyleDesign.com
    DMBoyleDesign Art Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PROBLEM SOLVED!!! Or so I hope...

I tried everything, up to and including, reinstalling Painter and the tablet drivers to no avail. So I finally decided to back up everything on my machine and wipe the hard drive. 2 days later (and seriously wishing I had the cash to get a Mac so I can stop putting up with this crap) I have just finished getting all of my software loaded. I have been trying my tablet out in Painter, Photoshop CS2, and Illustrator CS2 and I'm having no problems in any application.

I'm no tech wiz, but I would have to say that the cursor skipping issue has to be caused by something in the registry that is screwing with the way the tablet communicates with Painter.

Also, I was having other issues with my tablet prior to this and I found that it was caused by the (most recent) Vista Compliant driver. I'm sticking with XP until I can afford a Mac, so I switched my driver back to 4.93. Whatever makes the tablet driver "Vista Compliant" seems to make it XP non-compliant. Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm sorry you are having this problem, Espezito, but I can't help but feel somewhat vindicated by this thread.

I fully expect a slap on the wrist for saying this, but for some people, myself included, there is a problem with the way the cursor works in Painter versions after Painter 7. Those who haven't experienced the problem think it is a user problem that can somehow be fixed by the user, yet in every reported cursor problem that I've read, the problem is similar to my own; it only exists in Painter. No problem in Photoshop or other applications. That leads me to the conclusion that it has to be a Painter problem, a Wacom problem, or a combination of both.

Corel recognized a cursor problem with Painter 8. They listened to users and offered more cursor options in Painter IX. Happily, one of those options helped me experience at least 90% the cursor accuracy I had in Painter 7. Kudos to Corel for that.

I am, and have always been, an ardent Painter fan and that is why I get so upset if my favorite software program doesn't work as it should. I don't see recognizing a serious problem as Painter or Corel "bashing." I still love the program and don't know what I would do without it, but when there is a problem, I will say there is a problem. That is the only way problems will ever be corrected.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredbt

.........but when there is a problem, I will say there is a problem. That is the only way problems will ever be corrected.
    Yep, Fred, and it helps a lot if we write to the Corel Painter Development team with enough specifics so they can figure out what's going wrong and fix it.

painterteam@corel.com

You're right, that's not bashing, it's just taking the time to help Corel help us.

Keep on speaking up.......... and don't forget to include Corel in the process.

A lot of people would be surprised to know how much time I spend letting Corel know about problems, and encouraging others to do the same. The developers want to hear from us.

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Jin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Spurious brush marks

Espezito:
    I was having a minor problem similar to yours with Painter IX, then upgraded to X and now I have a major problem. It is really quite frustrating and it slows me down considerably because after every fourth or fifth brush stroke I have to stop and erase several keystrokes to take out the tail shooting off at a weird direction at the end of my brush stroke. All my tails go left and up. It seems like yours go in somewhat different directions.
    If you are able to solve your problem, please post is here to help others.
    Tonto

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Tonto, I think I saw your post on cgtalk.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to solve the problem yet. I sent an e-mail to the Painter team at Corel about 3 days ago. Still waiting for a reply.

So far I've tried everything recommended in this post. I've also removed/reinstalled Painter and my Wacom drivers.

I also got the idea to fuss with the dampening of the brush strokes, that didn't help either.

It seems the core of the problem is Painter itself. I wish there was a tool for Wacom settings within Painter itself, that would be swell.

I'm not giving up yet, I'm going to keep trying different solutions and also contact Wacom about the issue. We'll see if something comes up.

Don't lose hope! Painter is an awesome program, we just gotta get it working for us.

DMBoyleDesign.com
    DMBoyleDesign Art Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would just like to offer an opinion, perhaps advice, to anyone who is using Painter with a Wacom tablet and the associated pen: you really should be working in the 'pen mapping' mode, not the 'mouse mapping' mode. I know previous posts have described this as a matter of personal taste and style, but I think you are setting yourself up for future disappointment if you continue to use the mouse mapping mode.

If you are lucky enough to afford to graduate to a Wacom Cintiq, you MUST get used to pen mapping mode. It would make no sense to do otherwise.

Likewise, if you wind up with one of the many tablet PCs (and I just read some interesting stuff about ModBook, a modified MacBook tablet computer), you will need to get used to working in pen mapping mode.

Granted, the sleight of hand necessary to work a regular Wacom tablet to the right and screen to the left (or vice versa, depending on your handedness) is strange at first, you can get used to it, and when you do, I think you'll do much better technically with software like Painter. My advice is to do everything you do on your computer with a pen in pen mapping mode for a month. Even browsing the web, moving the scroll bars. Learn to hit the spots. After about a month (or maybe even less), you will wonder how you worked it any other way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Espezito, I was having a similar (but not identical) problem with my Wacom tablet in the hand-writing input features on Vista. I found that the problem was the "Double Click Distance" setting in the tablet options. The fix was to set the slider to the lowest setting (small). Dunno if this is the same thing, but you never know... Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face I solved faulty brush stroke problem

Espezito:
    I had an identical problem as you regarding a spurious brush mark flying off at a weird angle from the end of a brush stroke I was making. I was referred to this thread in my attempt to get a handle on it. Unfortunately it did not help. I finally did solve my problem though. I solved it by unplugging my Wacom tablet from a docking port and plugged it directly into my computer. After that, no weird brush strokes.
    Tonto

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright everyone, give Tonto a hand for being a GENIUS.

I had my tablet connected to my monitor, which has a powered USB hub. I disconnected it and connected it to the computer itself.

BAM!!!

No more lines!

To anyone else possibly having problems like this: Connect the tablet to the computer itself! Hubs don't seem fast enough.

Tonto, I bow to you.

DMBoyleDesign.com
    DMBoyleDesign Art Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW!!!

How odd is that? Funny thing is; I said that I fixed mine by wiping the hard drive and reinstalling all of my software. But for the sake of convenience I also switched my connection from my monitor to the computer on the same day. It is entirely possible that was the fix and not the massive reinstall.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That has been a MAJOR point of frustration with me as well. Although it's not an issue specific to Painter, Wacom says it's possible to run a tablet through the hub, and everytime I try it, there was always problems.

The only intuos I didn't have this problem in was the first intuos. Intuos 2 would revert back into "mouse mode" or not respond to the wacom drivers when in the hub, and the intuos 3 wouldn't respond at all.

So yes, lesson for people with a wacom, please use your computer USB ports, and not hubs or secondary usb outlets (ie monitors). You'll just encounter problems.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    God bless Tonto!!!

Thank you soooo much, man!
    I also have this problem with painter and my intuos tablet!
    It was really frustrating issue... but now it´s great!!!
    What an funny complication, i never thought about that thing...

Once more thank you Tonto, my hero!

Xaya

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.