Thread: sb's little sketchy book

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

sb's little sketchy book

Newer stuff => further down

GO GO GO!

Last edited by seanblanton; June 17th, 2007 at 10:46 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Envisor is offline 21 year old artist workin' to improve! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Me want now!!!! So get to it.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"- Albert Einstein

Eric wants to LEARN! Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awww....I feel let down *kicks rock sadly*

"Every portrait that is painted with feeling is a portrait of the artist, not of the sitter." -Oscar Wilde

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *poke*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I seem to remember you having a link to your photography-- maybe you can keep us busy with those while you prepare your other work?

And why not post your painting in progress? It'd be cool to see the steps to completion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the huge delay! I really am. please don't crucify me for being late, just be ruthless in your crits.

Okay first off.
    a lot of you (who will read this) probably already know that I am not an illustration major, I'm actually a photo major. In fact, I didn't even know what concept art WAS until I ran across this site, and I have since taken interest in it.

I am not a very good illustrator or painter, so help and critique is much appreciated. Right now I am trying to discipline myself in traditional art so I don't get destroyed my first year at ccad.

two things I am very very bad with: anatomy and foreshortening.
    And I know next to nothing about perspective
    so I'll be working on those first, and my imagination will come second.

i have also just began working with digital painting for the first time. I will post the first thing I have done. Any suggestions or tips involving that are GREATLY appreciated since I have no idea what I'm doing in painter. I just picked a brush and started painting.

here's whats been going on recently. 1 and 2 are hands. 3 and 4 are random scribbles and some loomis stuff so i can try to get a hold on the human head in anatomy. 5 and 6 are eyes ive done a bit ago and 7 is the first thing i did in painter.

5 & 6

7 (k somehow i did some housecleaning and lost the image, so this is actually a scan from when i printed it off right after i got done sketching it, hence the super super low quality. oops)

end

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    by the way, if you guys wanted to see my photo work, that's at my web site (in my sig, but also at the bottom of this post)

i'll post pictures of my painting in a few days, after more definite things get fleshed in, right now it looks like random blobs of color.

www.sean-blanton.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks productive!

Before I go onto my comments, it seems like everyone but me is doing studies. Are there any book recommendations for such things- perhaps internet? I'm not very familiar with line ruiles/guides except the weird ones I make up on the spot, and am interested to learn from you and others about those things.

Now for the sketches. If I were you, I'd try drawing where you see dark and light, just blobs, then add in guiding lines later. Sometimes when I'm just following a line, not looking at the thing as a whole, things can get a little stretched or flat (like the hands on the first pic). (Wait, that's another hypocritical thing to say, being that almost all of my sketches are line drawings...)

I like your stylized faces- they remind me of something I've seen on TV or something but I just can't quite place it.

Anyway, 5 & 6 are beautiful! Very well done! May I ask what size they are in real life?

As for the mouse one, it looks good. Perhaps you should clean that bottom edge a little, just because the shading within the mouse is so refined, the countour edge looks just a little out of place.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking productive, Sean. I would suggest to break down each anatomy part into simple shapes (cylinders, and blocks) so you can learn them quicker. Don't worry about the details for now. Just learn general shapes and proportions.

As for painting, I posted a tutorial in Data's thread but here it is again

http://www.simplestroke.com/wp/?page_id=11

He's using photoshop in the tutorial but the same approach is the same as with traditional media. It teaches you how to see.

Data-String: Andrew Loomis's books are available to view online here:
    http://www.fineart.sk/index.php?cat=1

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah i have all the loomis stuff.
    thanks alot for the suggestions guys.

data - 6 and 7 are nearly true to size. they were just little things i did when i was trying to get a feel for the reflections in some eyes before i started a full piece.

i am probably going to be working more in painter for a bit, but ill try to post equal amounts of painter and pencil sketches.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start here. The eyes look pretty good and hands are pretty tough to do but you'll get the hang of it. Keep practicing!

By the way...nice photography!!

"Every portrait that is painted with feeling is a portrait of the artist, not of the sitter." -Oscar Wilde

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are defenitely on the right track, keep practicing 3d perspectives and anatomy. I would suggest muscle and bone anatomy

Thanks for dropping by!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cmoreland: thanks.
    dejakhalz: thanks. any references/tips for 3 point perspective? also, would you suggest just doing straight studies of bones, and then the same study again but with muscles over it (ie: focus on femur only for a bit or something)

Envisor is offline 21 year old artist workin' to improve! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start. Id suggest to work on proportions now for the most part. It seems you have nice clean lines, so getting your proportions down would be a great next step for you. Also, when sketching, draw lightly at first and then go over your final lines, this is especially targeted toward your Loomis studies, all of your lines are the same, when you draw the circle for the head, draw it lightly, it will be easier to erase or remove later. I dont know, maybe its just my computer, if so, then never mind. Hehe... Cant wait for more.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"- Albert Einstein

Eric wants to LEARN! Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah it's cause when i scaned it, you coudn't see anything so i had to go into photoshop and up the levels

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woot for loomis!
    Everyone's basically hit on what I was going to say...
    -breaking things up into shapes
    -sketching lightly instead of going straight towards trying for perfect contour lines

Not bad at all for your first digital painting, it's mighty fine
    I think I've seen your eye drawings before... but anywho, they look good

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah. I haven't been keeping up. I know. I suck.

But i need some help.
    i'm starting quite the painting. 4 foot by 2 foot. oils.
    does anybody have ANY tips on hyperrealism painting? This is my first attempt at it and im sure i'm going to need all the help i can get.

any tips of making it go faster would definitely help. or the overall process. I'm just wingin it.

thanks

ps ill try to post sketch in the next day or so

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I assume hyper realism painting should be approach like any other paintings with oils, just with more attention to details and control. Anyway you look at it it's going to be quite a project. You can't show much brush strokes and if you blend too much it will look "photoshopped"
    Unfortunately my paintings are far from hyper realism so I can't offer any tips.
    Do post work in progress shots though. Keep us updated. Cheers

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Sean! I really like the eye studies you did, Scarlett Johansson was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw them. The shading values are very nicely rendered, and I could almost see the top eye darting about. The color values on the mouse is very well-done too.

Keep practicing with the studies, start with some basic shapes and then move onto the more complex stuff.

Just visited your photography site, great design coupled with strong photos. Nice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't really have many painting tips to offer. I'm eagerly looking foward to painting fundamentals this semester... I need it badly x)
    In the one and only big oil painting that I did, I had to continually experiment to find what worked best. It's very easy to overblend. Try to work all over and not focus on just one little spot at a time. If you finish one little spot to perfection, but neglect the rest, it's hard to get the whole painting to match, thus the realism is lost! oh noes! These are just my little thoughts and musings... good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't read all of the above post, but I'll give you some tips that have helped me along my way. Since your good @ photography I think that once you get good @ drawing it will also help out the compositions and images you take with your camera.

First off, Think of everthing in terms of boxes. Every object, shape, whatever has sides to it; even spheres (they just have so many sides that it appears smooth. So I would suggest (as boring and lame as it sounds) drawing boxes. Many Many boxs then shade them. Also find the core shadow and cast shadow of a sphere...That will really help u understand form.

Do you have photoshop or just painter? If you have photoshop I would recommend starting with that before you get into painter for the simple reason if you don't understand traditional art you won't understand how to use painter. Photoshop on the other hand is easier to navigate & is noob freindly. It has the two basic brushes you will need; a Big round (B Shortcut) & an eraser (E Shortcut). Additionally if you have a wacom tablet it makes digital painting ohh so easy in photoshop.

Hope that helps...Here's a quick little instructional image.

Note: Also you might try drawing on ur hand with a pen and map out its geometrical surface I mentioned that to another fellow CCAD member and I think it would do you some good as well.

Attached Images Attached Images        

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.