Art: Distant Shores - matte painting

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Distant Shores - matte painting

My aim in this painting was to capture the huge scale of seashore environments. A trip to the "Serra da Arrábida", here in Portugal, really impressed me and luckily I had my trusty digital camera with me, which allowed me to capture some of the things I had seen that day. There is such a sense of freedom when you are standing at the tip of cliffs, hundreds of meters above sea-level, contemplating those magnificent views all the way to the horizon...it is really mindblowing!
    This painting was inspired by the magnificent matte paintings of Dylan Cole, Steven Messing and Yannick Dusseault. It was all done in Photoshop and took me about 3 days to complete.

If you are curious you can find a tutorial of this painting at my homepage.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some details:

Some of the photos used:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    beautiful work. my only problem is with the main building structure. it looks modern to me. like a modern day hospital, almost. yet the boats in lend an old world feel. is this from a specific era, or just a general fantasy piece?

-: [ sketchbook | sour.org ] :-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    niiice! as a true concept nird though, I feel I must comment on the actual castle. It's a bit of a let-down. I was planning on commenting the same thing on your other castle piece but I let it go.

You sort of build up this amazing magical atmosphere, and then the jewel of the painting, the castle, is just a bunch of boxes. I dont mind it looking modern, I just think its bland, thats all. If youre going for a certain style here, following rules for some reasons, then im OK with the design, but if youre hands are free, why not try out something more exciting? It would give the piece soooo much more ooompfh.

sorry if Im harsh but I just had to say this Love the atmosphere.

rock on!

-t

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First off this thing is a complete Jewel! Absolutely love it, but alas the crits are true and the castle can be saved by simply changing the tops of each tower with the correct alternating brickwork. Judging by the rest of the painting though your skill set should allow you to do this with complete ease.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agree, beautiful, but the castle seems diconnected (in the design of its architecture) from the romantic fantasy you've set up elsewhere.

Yes, you could add the fortified tops or some triangular tower tops and that would definitely help it be more castle-like, but I also think that there are other inherant problems with the idea of a castle. For one, yours has a TON of windows, and they're all placed on such an organized grid. Real castles had very few windows because they were all about defense and the integrity of the walls; the few windows they did have, they were not so well organized in a pattern. I like you little arched area, I think that fits as something of a cloister (a realistic addition to a castle), but the area below it has WAY too many windows. That's why it reads as so modern. We design buildings with windows because we want light, we have the building materials (metal skeleton) and we're not trying to fortify against catapults. Finally, your castle is made up of a lot of ajoined boxes, creating a lot of peculiar angles and sides. Real castles designed for defense were based around simple, strong, symmetrical shapes. Yes, they had towers, but a castle is more likely to have a rectangular base. Now, if you wanted the castle to be about beauty rather than defense, cylindrical towers with pointed tops would be your best bet, like Hogwarts, Disney, and Neushwanstein.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.