Corel Painter Magazine?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Corel Painter Magazine?

I initially read about this on John Derry's blog (thanks John! ) and thought "Finally! After seeing umpteen Photoshop magazines, there's one for Painter." And then I saw the price: $183 CAD for 13 issues. Yikes. That's a lot of dosh.

Has as anyone here subscribed? Do any subscribers have any comments on it? To the bone: is it worth it?

Much thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't seen it anywhere, but it looks pretty promising. I always get ImagineFX, which is more suited towards Photoshop users, but which software you choose is really irrelevant, and it's all just a matter of choice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is it on sale here in the US yet? I live in Sacramento area in Calif and would love to know if they plan to sell the mag in the US.

It is worth it if they have at good price and it had tools you can use.
    I have seen too many mags just get over bloated with the same tools and images that it makes it hard to find a good one these days.

will have to go search out on the stands tonight for this mag.

CC

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've got issue 1 (UK same price as imagine fx though sub price is less)

Some good parts in it, though it seems to have quite a bit on cloning.

http://www.paintermagazine.co.uk for the webby

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've seen a lot of Imagine magazines on the shelves here in Canada (Photoshop, Photoshop Creative, Web Design, etc) but not the Corel Painter mag (and I've gone out to a few local bookstores to check).

In any case, I've gone ahead and ordered the first issue today ($22 single shot instead of a $182/13 issue commitment). I'll give my amateur impressions once I give it a good read.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll have to just keep an eye out for it and i will have to talk to the local book store as to weather they will be getting it as they do carry the other titile this company publish. Looking at the time of month I should be seeing the next issue of ImagineFX soon as well. we're about one month behind the UK and the local Borders is a bit confused as to were IFX should be placed. I keep putting in the fine art section and they Keep putting it in the Gaming and Computer area. the manager seem to be ok with me moving it to the fine art area as i see it Art is Art Old school or digital.

I figure they will hide this mag as well ..most likely end up with something non related like quilt making lol

the web site has a lot of info but i hope for more content and tools for all current versions of Painter like 8 to X maybe some of the older versions as well.

I hope some post if they see on the stand here in the US.

Later

CC

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by CCorsair
    I'll have to just keep an eye out for it and i will have to talk to the local book store as to weather they will be getting it as they do carry the other titile this company publish. Looking at the time of month I should be seeing the next issue of ImagineFX soon as well. we're about one month behind the UK and the local Borders is a bit confused as to were IFX should be placed. I keep putting in the fine art section and they Keep putting it in the Gaming and Computer area.
    Haha! Yeah, same situation in Canada. Friggin' distributors can't keep a deadline....

If it is being shipped to North America, we should probably see it in stores this Friday.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've ordered the first issue by internet...

i'll probably not buy the other ones....

The mag is expensive (though quite pretty)...
    A significant part is about cloning...
    The reviews (Painter X, Wacom A6 wide, Some digital camera) seemed pretty useless to me...basically everything is great, awesome...
    Less diverse than Imagine FX...

Some good basic tutorial, might be useful for beginners...

I see it as an semi-useful mag for absolute beginners in Painter...
    Users who knows the program and are regular frequanter of ConceptART r CGsociety might be dissappointed..

0.02$...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the same on getting more than one issue. I would have to see more tham stuff on things i know about Painter(all version) I will have to review the mag before buying right out but i will get issue one to show support.
    I still sold more on ImagineFX than on a mag that cover just on program.
    the Photoshop and Computer Arts mags seem to be on using PS and Quark and there in .

I have the fund set for both and will see what this new mag has to offer..

Anyone have full list of items on the DVD? Fonts? Brushes? Etc?
    Pallets? A good deal why some buy these mags are the for what is on the cd/DVD these days and Tools are great way to get people to buy.

CC

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This thread sent me off to the book store last Wednesday to see if they had the Painter magazine, They didn't, but it was a worthwhile trip anyway.

I had a couple of gift certificates hanging around since Christmas. With those and a couple of bucks, I walked out with several good UK published Photoshop + CD mags that I probably wouldn't have bought otherwise. There's a lot of good reading there to keep me busy for a while.

Now I have to decide how I'll spend all of my iTunes gift certificates. My kids keep giving them to me and they just keep piling up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got the magazine this week at Barnes and Noble. It is pricey, ($17.75) but not more so than similar Photoshop magazines by the same publisher.

It is geared more toward the beginner than the advanced user.

Included on the CD:

20 fonts, (Mostly ones that have been around, available elsewhere and dismal in my personal opinion).
    30 day trial of Painter X for both PC and Mac,
    A 20 page Painter X users guide in Adobe Acrobat,
    The photos to be used in the 5 tutorials (Very basic for beginners)
    20 stock photos,
    Pictures to be used in a Readers Challenge,
    and a portfolio of 12 pieces of art created in Painter. (These are difficult to see because they are partially hidden behind the interface of the slide show presentation. They are not available as stand-alone images on the CD).

I'm sure I will look future issues over more carefully before shelling out $17.75, minus my Barnes and Noble discount, to buy one.

Not a lot of useful stuff for advanced users in this first issue.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredbt
    I got the magazine this week at Barnes and Noble. It is pricey, ($17.75) but not more so than similar Photoshop magazines by the same publisher.

It is geared more toward the beginner than the advanced user.

Included on the CD:

20 fonts, (Mostly ones that have been around, available elsewhere and dismal in my personal opinion).
    30 day trial of Painter X for both PC and Mac,
    A 20 page Painter X users guide in Adobe Acrobat,
    The photos to be used in the 5 tutorials (Very basic for beginners)
    20 stock photos,
    Pictures to be used in a Readers Challenge,
    and a portfolio of 12 pieces of art created in Painter. (These are difficult to see because they are partially hidden behind the interface of the slide show presentation. They are not available as stand-alone images on the CD).

I'm sure I will look future issues over more carefully before shelling out $17.75, minus my Barnes and Noble discount, to buy one.

Not a lot of useful stuff for advanced users in this first issue.

Thanks Fredbt for your informative review of the magazine I currently sucrbibe to Imaginefx and there only about 4 of the magazine have anything on painter tutorials so far. Nonetheless it is a great magazine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A friend of mine was asked to make a tutorial on digitally painting clouds for the magazine (the finished image http://featherdust.critter.net/temp/...ngsunrise.jpg). I checked out the website when she told me about it and was excited to see a contest with a year subscription as the prize! I was quickly disappointed to see that you are required to use a photo they provide in the final piece somehow. Many of the galleries on the site are also photopaintovers. I know and understand that they are marketing to as many people as possible, but it makes me cranky to see the paintovers conveniently not labelled as such. One could certainly still use the photos they want people to use for the contest without making the whole piece a paintover, though. :3 I haven't seen a magazine yet, i am waiting for Jennifer's issue to come out. If there are more tutorials and work like hers, painting from scratch like with real media, I would certainly invest in the magazine. As it is, I'd like to get my work in it. : D

Time will tell!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ashrumm View Post
    Thanks Fredbt for your informative review of the magazine I currently sucrbibe to Imaginefx and there only about 4 of the magazine have anything on painter tutorials so far. Nonetheless it is a great magazine.

Check out 2dartist www.2dartistmag.com It has painter and photoshop tutorials and is an absolutely outstanding magazine even though it's pdf.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I picked up the first issue finally but I don't think i will get another unless it has some really really great stuff in it as the cost of the mag on the stand hre was like $17.99 and that a lot for a mew as it hits the stands the same time ImagineFX. ITs a good looking mag but seem to cover how to use Painter like you use PhotoShop or Paint shop more than a tool to do original art.

this mag is made by the same people doing the Photoshop mags and a few other mags that seem to have gone slick and more ads than resource for artist.

ImagineFX has som far done this better and for both Painter and PS at the same time as well as other programs.

I will keep looking on the stands at the mag but its just too costly to get even issue at this time.

CC

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys, I'm new to Painter X and to the forum. I just bought 2 issues from eBay:

eBay

subscription seems expensive to me so far

Last edited by Paul Dolgov; May 14th, 2007 at 02:21 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by artistpavel View Post
    Hi guys, I'm new to Painter X and to the forum. I just bought 2 issues from eBay:

eBay

subscription seems expensive to me so far
    You can order a single issue from their web site. Order a couple of issues and see if you like it. The subscription for a full year is rather expensive for me as well, so I just order by the month.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.