just got accepted

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

just got accepted

i noticed there's a lot about SCAD here. i'm a senior and an AP Art student at Rockwall High School. I've been drawing since about kindergarten. i've seen a lot of the art work here and i am probably not at your level yet but i aspire to be. Currently i'm planning on majoring in sequential art and hopefully work as a concept artist doing character designs, animations, and so on. my actual goal though is to be a graphic novelist. i have a wild imagination. in any case, i'd like to know about the sequential art program and what it's like. i know all the drawing classes will be tough but i'm REALLY looking forward to the challenge. a friend of mine is studying there as well and i heard through the grapevines that she's loving it. anyway, if anyone can tell me about the program as well as any little tid-bits i should know than that would be great. i'm looking forward to starting next year.

(btw, i don't want to hear any b/s about accredidation. it's accredited by the same group that accredits Duke and that's good enough for me.)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I think Mirana just finished up her degree in Sequential Art at SCAD. She's super duper helpful with SCAD tidbits.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats on being accepted! Go kick some butt.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bluefruitbowl
    Hey, I think Mirana just finished up her degree in Sequential Art at SCAD. She's super duper helpful with SCAD tidbits.
    really? well, i hope she replies to this. also, if i can get any advice for surviving freshman year there it would be great. i hear it's a really good school despite the bad press. i admit, getting in was too easy, but i'm pretty sure staying afloat would be more difficult. at the very least it will be easier for me to make my way up the ranks through the slackers. i just didn't want to have to go study at Ai (no offense to Ai students).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, it's easy to get in, it's harder to get a scholarship and extremely hard to stay afloat unless you breathe, sleep and eat drawing.

I don't know what to say about "surviving freshman year" as I spent my first two yrs at a much more afforable university down the street from SCAD, getting all my core done, which is what I recommend to EVERYONE. I wouldn't pay $2K on a math/science/english class that I could only spend $200 at a uni for. I also lived in the the Savannah area for about 7 yrs before I went to SCAD, so I didn't live in dorms or have a need to do the "college hang out" for friends. I could only tell you the scene from what my other classmates have said.

I will say that it is a mistake to take early classes lightly, no matter WHAT they may be. Not only does it make a difference to your GPA and set a trend for your later learning, but as a concept or comic artist, you need to be well versed in EVERYTHING. At some point, every class you take will be referenced in the art and storytelling you need do. Big companies that visit other departments always call on ours for student portfolios (animation, film, game design, illustration, etc) because of this versatility.

Let me know what specific questions you have (about the school, Seqa dept, area, etc) and I can answer any of them. I just...need to know what YOU want to know so I have somewhere to go from.

(Oooh, yah--You guys CAN PM/email me if you've need of answers. I don't always see every posting/have time to check these things. Others have no problem doing so and I don't bite...often.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congratulations! Well done.

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Members who have read this thread: 2