Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: FourTonMantis' (USED to be BigZam's) Sketchbook Of Despair UPDATED WITH NEW JUNK!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

FourTonMantis' (USED to be BigZam's) Sketchbook Of Despair UPDATED WITH NEW JUNK!

Eh!

My name's Derek and I'm 16 years old. I've been prowling around here for some time and figured it's about time to start a sketchbook. I would love crits if you could spare some.
    Last edited by FourTonMantis; December 3rd, 2007 at 11:22 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Thanks
    I'll start off with some anatomy studies.

This one was done in Conte crayon in my normal sketchbook.
    FourTonMantis' (USED to be BigZam's) Sketchbook Of Despair UPDATED WITH NEW JUNK!

The rest of these are done on newsprint with various mediums.

This one was done in oil pastel.

These were drawn from stills from Pirates Of The Carribean.

And finally, some fun stuff.

This one's another oil pastel. I really like the vivid colors you can get from oil pastels.

Another Conte crayon piece.

Finally, an armored warrior, done in Prismacolor markers.

That's all I have for now, but I'll try and update as often as I can; I try to sketch out a few figures every night before I go to bed.

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by FourTonMantis; March 17th, 2007 at 05:42 PM.

Thanks
    Here's a watercolor painting of a tree I did a little while ago.

Thanks

Update!

More anatomy studies.

Here's a gouache painting I started last night. Sorry for the poor quality. My mom wants to frame it when I'm done...

That's all for now. Thanks for looking! I love comments by the way.

Thanks
    Hey! Thanks for commenting on my sketchbook, very insightful!
    I like your figures, they have a loose ethreal quality to them that could definately be worked upon!
    However, when drawing fingers, maybe you should consider the components that go into the finger and how they correspond. Just a thought. Thanks!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Springheels For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Springheels
    Hey! Thanks for commenting on my sketchbook, very insightful!
    I like your figures, they have a loose ethreal quality to them that could definately be worked upon!
    However, when drawing fingers, maybe you should consider the components that go into the finger and how they correspond. Just a thought. Thanks!
    thanks for the crits. i definitely see what you mean about the fingers, but with these studies i was mainly going for speed. thanks though!

Thanks
    Hey there! Lovin those anatomy studies, its great that you're churning them at a quick rate. I was struck by the watercolour painting of the tree though, the subtle colour changes and tones you've got going on in the tree trunk are awesome. Keep on going!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to amer-nazri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great start! Anatomy studies are something that every artist works on no matter what their skill level. It's good to see you using lots of reference for those. Get some more photo reference work in your figure studies. Hogarth is great for communicating concepts about figure construction, but his figures are very exaggerated. Try getting some good photos and applying the concepts he teaches to them. Looking for stuff like the "B" formation in the legs, or overlapping lines in photos of real will help you improve even faster! Drawing figures from direct reference is, of course, the best, however a lot of us young people don't have access to models unless we are actually in a class or something like it.

Keep experementing with your art, and make it fun and keep up the good work!

Post tons and you will improve greatly.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chance. For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Small update...

Thanks for all the crits guys, I appreciate it.

Kind of a small update, haven't had alot of time to draw due to school.

That's all I've got for now. Lame I know but I'll try to do some more drawing in the next couple of days.

Thanks
    dude, you're only 16 and already this good! Great anatomy study by the way. Just keep drawing more and more.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to d00dle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by d00dle
    dude, you're only 16 and already this good! Great anatomy study by the way. Just keep drawing more and more.
    hey thanks! i've never had someone say something like that to me before, thanks for the encouragement!

Thanks
    do u still post on this thread?
    'Education is our passport to the future,
    for the future belongs to the people who prepare for it today.'
    Malcom X

God is love.

Sketchbook

BLOG

Looking for work

17. The Following User Says Thank You to markey2d For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    GREAT Hogarth studies....1 point I'd like to mention is that don't just blindly copy his work but do read what's in the text.....it will later help you draw from imagination.....I've been given this same advice a lot of times....
    Its great that you're playing with different media.....
    keep it up
    Ratul

19. The Following User Says Thank You to rdsarna For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast