portrait. crits appreciated.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

portrait. crits appreciated.

I'm still very new at this whole digital painting thing, and while this isn't truly my first digipaint, it's the first one I put a lot of time into; a couple of hours at least.

I just wanted to hear what you guys thought for my, essentially, first paint.

Thanks!

-Derek

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there. Im kind of new here so I dont know how much my critique really matters but here is what I saw.

I love the shading that you did in the picture, it was well done; however, there are 2 areas that I could see improved:

1. The forehead. His forehead is alot smaller than it should be. We need a place to keep our over-developped brains mmmm

2. The nose looks a bit crooked to me. Try angling it down a bit more so that it is more in line with the lip.

Hope I helped some xD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey got the link from the sketch room. I think the main thing you need to do first that will help your portraits is to practice your volumetric drawing first.
    Your missing some basic knowledge on drawing heads, 1st is that the eyes are, as a starting point, located at the midpoint of the whole face. Your eyes dont have any volume to them, they arent wrapping around a ball (eyeball). So what I would suggest would be to do lots of studies of blocks, spheres, cones, cylinders, torus, and pyramids. Dont just draw them over and over but draw them and try merging various combinations of them. Also cut parts off of them and draw them in all different angles, etc.
    Until you understand those thoroughly your going to need reference if you want to make a convincing face. However, don't worry about making convincing faces, unless you need to just to have fun and break away from the boring primitive shapes.
    I hope that helps somewhat.

As a mans power and knowledge grows so the paths he may choose lessen more and more until he can choose only and whole what he must do.
    time to follow the trend: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...14#post1052814
    oh and heres a college buddy of mine:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75358

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the crits.

trying to draw on a clunky wacom doesn't help much either, i'm much better on paper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not bad, but doesnt look finished at all
    and try to fix the nostrils of his nose and try to separate the jaw from his neck.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.