City Environment Sketch
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: City Environment Sketch

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

City Environment Sketch

Looking for a freelancer to do a sketch of a city environment. Must be able to merge fantasy & modern, magic & technology, etc.

Specific details available to prospective artists. Please provide rates and samples of prior work. You may contact ICQ #4836459 or by emailing morganti@dragaerans.com.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More Information

Having received a large number of submissions, I want to reiterate that this is for sketch work of a city environment; something to provide conceptual visualization of a city where magic and technology meet.

I think the following tips would also be good suggestions for any prospective artist's job you are applying for:

Please include a link to a website showing your work, or where your work can be downloaded. (In my case, almost any format is acceptable.)

Please make sure that the images are large enough to actually see the detail. About 1/3rd of the submissions received contained images (NOT thumbnails) that were about 150x150 pixels or less.

This is environment sketch work. If you are primarily a character artist, that's fine - I have received many fantastic character images. But if you have no samples of environment work, it is impossible to gauge your skill in that area.

Thanks to all applicants thus far. While some are still under consideration, other artists are definitely invited to apply.

This is computer gaming-related work so the possibility of additional work definitely exists.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I do environment artwork. However these images have both characters and backgrounds.

These are only concept images.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/...qh=sort%3Atime

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/...qh=sort%3Atime

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/...e+-in%3Ascraps

I can do ships,cities and maps as well.

I'm even working on a few pieces that are just environments. Fantasy and sci-fi.

my e-mail is ebonyhellkitten@yahoo.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Morganti,

Have you thought about emailing directly the people whose work (in those smallish images) intrigues you the most, to request larger versions of those pics? Lots of people, due to the financial restraints of producing websites, cannot afford to place hi-res depictions of their work on the web.

If you see something that's promising, ask that person to show you something in greater detail.

Also, you use the word 'sketch' again and again. Is this an actual sketch (Dictionary: a simply or hastily executed drawing or painting, esp. a preliminary one, giving the essential features without the details), or are you looking for a tight drawing of an environment? If it is the latter, then maybe 'sketch' isn't the proper word for what you want.

Can there be a clarification on that?

Video game production is complicated work, and I wish you great luck in getting your product out.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Fed up with this guy above!

I wonder if you ever contribute anything other than a moan, man!
    Not constructive and not interested in your views. Every week I read these job forums and everyweek your sticking your oar in the middle of them.
    Two words, not constructive!

As for the actual job posted...have nothing to show just wanted to put my cents worth into this guy. Stay off the forum if there isn't anything constructive and otherwise worthwhile reading, perhaps Concept org should allow users to put someone on their ignore list. This guy would be first on my list.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that Magnut's messages are always well written and constructives, he is not trolling or anything but bringing valid points on those forums.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I don't think so

You reckon!??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mime is rightMagnut only offered a suggestion which might have found this person the right artist that would suit their needs.

Do you have any advice to this possible client other then your own moaning?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sorry!

Sorry! he was?? with what advice?? I would say he does nothing but add negative advice when possible!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jimbradyart,

I see how you're not paying attention to my specific points. Especially whenever you have 'criticism' for me, but you never have any specific points to make in response, other than your characterizing me as being negative.

Irony: you're the one being who's being negative.

I can only imagine that you are not paying your rent and bills working as a freelance illustrator, based upon your ignorant comments. If you ever do get out into the real world of making a living from your talent, you'll start to appreciate the importance of the (admittedly very annoying) minutiae of the kinds of valid points that I bring up in these forums.

Those people who are paying their bills and rent with their craft must be diligent in protecting themselves from being taken advantage of, whether it be by people looking to take advantage, or through their ignorance about how professional work standards should be.

For you to slam me with a no-substance criticism, then to respond only with sarcasm, then to respond again with even more sarcasm, and not actually engaging mime and Ebony-chan in an intelligent dialogue, shows me that you simply are incredibly ignorant of these standards, and of what freelance illustrators must go through to make a living with their craft.

Ignorance is not a bad thing! It's a great way to start learning something! So long as you engage in a dialogue with people, starting off with "I don't know" is the proper thing to do, because then you open yourself up to actually learning something. That's better than to simply slam someone (with no actual substantive point to back up your 'negative' claims), when doing so demonstrates that you simply don't know what you're talking about.

In case you are actually open to learning something, I'll clarify my point. A sketch is not a finished drawing. When someone is willing to pay a substantial amount of money to have an artist visualize an environment, they are doing so because they are going to use it for their project. Because they're paying for it, they expect a level of clarity and detail that they can use/apply to their property (book illustration, set design for animation or video game, whatever).

Using the word "sketch" in a job posting is a really big Red Flag. On the surface, it seems that anyone who is going to spend that much money for environmental design requires clear and precise illustrations, not a 'loose sketch', which according to the dictionary is something that requires nothing clear and precise at all.

When employers post an ad for a job, proper language is incredibly important.

It's a matter of clarification between employer & freelancer. This is paramount, as the freelancer must know going into the job what's expected of him. If he were to accept a job thinking only a 'sketch' was required of him, and he comes to find out that much more is actually required, then there was a miscommunication.

Based upon several decades of experience, I can tell you that when someone who is not practiced at hiring a professional illustrator is willing to pay for design work (which the illustrator will be expected to relinquish any rights to make further monies from those particular images in perpetuity) can easily (and accidentally) use the wrong terminology when posting an ad for his project. If that were to happen, then he and the freelancer will run into difficulties that might ultimately be a waste of both their times.

I bring up valid points like these because there are many illustrators out there who simply have not had these specific experiences in their careers yet. I would rather bring up these valid points now, rather than to have people become discouraged when they run into terrible disappointments based upon their ignorance, which could result in them being convinced not to pursue their career dreams as illustrators, because they feel that wherever they turn, they seem to be screwed on every job. Though in reality, they just haven't been in these kinds of situations that should clarify professional job standards.

You ignorantly think I'm negative by bringing up these subjects? I challenge you to go to a bookstore and buy (or simply take 3 minutes to flip through) the book GRAPHIC ARTISTS GUILD - PRICING & ETHICAL GUIDELINES. That will make your head explode!

And it will also demonstrate that it's so incredibly important to get Job Standards RIGHT.

Morganti is one of those very brave and adventurous creative people who has such a passion and vision for his work, that he's willing to invest in his project's development, financially. That's a really big step. I bring up these valid points, not only to help the freelance illustrator, but also people like him. It would be a terrible thing if there was a miscommunication, and then time wasted when he subsequently realizes that he maybe should have clarified his needs more precisely on his job post.

jimbradyart, these are not negative things! These are positive things!

When you get out there and start paying your rent, bills, food, clothing, entertainment, retirement, car & insurance, computer parts, and every other thing with your talent, only then will you realize that what I've been talking about are very true things in my various posts here on ConceptArt. But since you've lambasted me so vociferously (without actually having anything of substance to say in response to intelligently counter my points), I'm sure you'll never actually acknowledge that I've only tried to help you in your illustration career with actual good information.

But that's okay. You're welcome anyway!

Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

And your valid point is?

I rest my case..tell me something we all don't know! Repetitive, boring and not valid! Unless you've something positive to say that is actual industrial work experience which I see you don't and can understand why you don't.

Attitude!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Look Jim and Magnut if you two have something personal going on maybe an old grudge. I'd suggest keeping it out of the forum.

But so far Jim your the only one reacting in a negative way. Why not talk it out between the two of you through pm's?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ebony-chan,

For the record, I don't know who jimbradyart is, as I don't know who you are. I do know only one person who also posts on ConceptArt, but he never posts in the job threads.

I only post to give advice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by magnut
    Ebony-chan,

For the record, I don't know who jimbradyart is, as I don't know who you are. I do know only one person who also posts on ConceptArt, but he never posts in the job threads.

I only post to give advice.

Strange why is jim so negative towards artist who want to make a living off their art. I mean it's just like any other business. You offer a service and they pay a fee.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is not up to a client to conform to artists needs (maybe in some cases but you're not there yet). Alas, it is the other way around so send reasonably sized images or don't send them. If someone can't afford his own website then one can find free online hosting gallery.

From what I see some of present artists are minors and it is perfectly normal for them to react this way. However, I suggest you sit down, keep on practicing even when it seems pointless and don't bite eachother heads off over trivial matters.

Peace to all!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.