Sketchbook: Yoitisi's sketches (November 1 - 2010) - Page 7
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Yoitisi's sketches (November 1 - 2010)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff. Nice update.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is such a great sketchbook you have, it's always awesome to see somebody with id skills on here but it's even more awesome to see them branch out, try different things and kick ass doing it. keep at it man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man...those art crusade pieces rock! Your character is one cool dude. Hey you know what, I think your digital colorings are getting better also. Great updates again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi yoitisi ,
    totally,your sketches ,oh!!! I am pleased to see them ,comfortable for the eyes 88, good angels and Clear vision for what u feel about .u draw a lot of wheels, u seem to be vrey interested in wheels .

Esraa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No crits, just keep updating and inspirering!

Danuh is offline best taken with a pillar of salt. Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your marker work is just too damn cool. I love how you're able to add that extra sheen to everything.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    RandAlTor: Thanks for stopping by.

Quinn Simoes: Thanks, here's a small update

christ: hehe thanks man.

Exquisite Beast: Thank you.

invinciblewombat: Thanks for the kind words. We should do a duel sometime (although I already appear to have a waiting list..)

Trashy: Glad to hear that m8. Hope to see you around in IDW.

teena mom: haha you're right there, I have an obcession for wheels I guess

Lyno: There's always something to crit about I'm sure. Anyway, thanks for stopping by.

Danuh: It's actually hard to keep things from getting shiny sometimes

Anyway, small time update. Working on the next duel with Alti. Started out with a black silhouette sketch but in all the steps after that I was struggling with almost everything about this piece. Still a day to go, so who knows where it ends up.

Name:  Killermachinebenw small.JPG
Views: 2308
Size:  289.3 KB

And some more mixers I liked doing these and went kind of overboard on adding aging and some texture to it. Never really finished it though, as there should've been some more mixers in there and a background but time ran out. Markers, pencils, fineliners, the usual stuff.

Name:  guidokuip mix1 07 small.jpg
Views: 2322
Size:  229.9 KB

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice sb mate...cool designs..your ID work its really nice too...specially like the goblin shaman....keep it up!

"dear diary:..jackpot" my sketchbook

team chow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dan Valkar: Thanks for stopping by

Here's the finished piece for the duel. The topic was:

player 2 (defender) : limitations of the flesh

A - metal is your skin, oil is your raw blood, the magics suited to slay mear men dent your plated chest as you heave through the masses. your hands as gargantuan clawed things buzz and crackle with their own energies, your mind forgets what it was to be a man, you are finaly free.

Name:  Killermachinebenw3 small.jpg
Views: 2281
Size:  346.5 KB

11. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those mixers are nicely rendered, you handle markers very well. You must be familiar with Doug Chang of Star Wars fame, one of my favorite concept artists. Your b&w piece for the duel turned out great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quinn Simoes: Yep I'm a big fan of his work too. I have the book 'the Art of Star Wars' from film 1 on the shelf here

As I'm experimenting a bit with my process lately, I thought I'd save all of the steps I took while trying something for the IDW of this week. The following is not necessarily a tutorial, I just thought it'd be good to write out my own process and while I was at it, I thought I might as well do it in my SB

The topic is Deep Space Starfighter, with the restriction to take a couple of images and base the design on elements in these pictures (as in 'the objects photographed in the picture' that is).

Name:  Reference.JPG
Views: 2242
Size:  151.9 KB

Step 1: I started out by gathering some inspiration from images I had on my harddrive. Shame I don't have all the links any more, but the fruitbowl and table come from www.architonic.com I think.

Name:  thumbs small.jpg
Views: 2228
Size:  224.3 KB

Step 2: Generating ideas. Basically just doing quick thumbnails while keeping in mind what elements of the reference I wanted to keep. One important part I liked was the floater of the Grumman Duck, so I tried to base the thumbs on that. Nothing special maybe, but I'm used to creating thumbs with just my pen and paper, and doing this in PS was sort of new for me. Enjoyed it though

Name:  Fighter1 small.jpg
Views: 2222
Size:  107.5 KB

Step 3: I wasn't too happy with most thumbs, but liked idea 4 so I decided to take it a bit further to see what happened. This step is simply blowing up the thumbnail to about 1500 pixels wide. Later on I realised I should've made it a bit bigger...

Name:  Fighter2 small.jpg
Views: 2212
Size:  125.9 KB

Step 4: Generally working out a couple of important design aspects from the rough thumb. Punching out the shape a bit more already, and introducing a couple of details like the guns and cockpit. I'm keeping an eye on the values here, as they're most important to convey the shapes.

A thing I tried here that I knew about already but never used was creating path's in PS to guide my painting. Not sure how much I like using them, as they tend to prevent some happy accidents I think. Then again, they also prevents some very unhappy accidents.

Working in color from the beginning is fun but most of the time I find I missed stuff in the shading of shapes. This time I had the same problem

Name:  Fighter3 small.jpg
Views: 2210
Size:  141.3 KB

Step 5: Working some more on the shading, basically giving it a bit more contrast all over and adding some details. Cross-sections are often more helpfull in a perspective view, but even in a side view they can help to explain the shape of the starfighter.

Name:  Fighter4 small.jpg
Views: 2195
Size:  147.1 KB

Step 6: Again, giving it some more contrast by adding stronger highlights and making the shadows a bit darker. Most of the design is now more or less clear. Time for a background.

Name:  Fighter5 small.jpg
Views: 2202
Size:  227.6 KB

Step 7: Adding a background I played around with some of M@'s brushes, as brushes are another area which I want to explore more. I opted for a muted red, as it contrasts nicely with the blue of the fighter.

Name:  Fighter z benw small.jpg
Views: 2202
Size:  134.0 KB

Step 8: I realised I should've checked it earlier: the grayscale version. I find this really helps to find out where the shading is off and where the shape isn't defined enough. Here I found I missed a quite important cast shadow, the one in the middle just before the engine exhaust. This is curved inwards, and should've a nice shadow.

Name:  Fighter6 small.jpg
Views: 2211
Size:  233.7 KB

Step 9: Added the shadow, played around with the enginebay and exhaust (and not liking it very much...) and straightened out the front pod because I found the curve didn't really fit with the rest of the design.

Name:  Fighter final small.jpg
Views: 2186
Size:  236.9 KB

Step 10: This is the final piece...for now I decided to flip it as it reads a bit better (left to right, front to back) and added a nametag.

As far as conveying the concept goes, I think it is fine. I'm not happy with certain things in the design, like the weapon system and the wings at the back, but I'll leave that for now. I can always paint over it if I like. A bigger issue is probably that I should've played a bit more with the shading as I feel not every shape is clearly defined (very important in a flat view like this). Back to the drawing board I guess.

Last edited by yoitisi; March 8th, 2008 at 06:14 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loved the tutorial, really helpful! Thank you.
    I might just have another try on IDW sometime. Lets just say I got put off on this one

Looking forward to updates mate!
    Chris

Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, it’s a very cheesy response but it’s true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -Bjørn Hurri

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

UnSharpened is offline The most terrible enmy is my lazyness... Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just can't help falling in love with your ID drawing man, sorry about that.
    And the last tutorial is awesome, though I got some questions here...How did you handle those tintytiny detail such as those thin holes on it, and did you use fineliner before going into digital?
    BTW, love #187 the mixer, it's epic (not sure is this description right for ID stuff...), 5/5!!!!

It should always be bore in one's mind that he must be responsible for his life........

Welcome to My !!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hive minD: Hehe np Hope to see you next week in IDW then.

Unsharpened: Thanks man To answer your questions, the tiny details are just done by going in with a 1 pixel hard round brush (which might resemble my fineliner drawings I guess). I also added a bit of text on the midsection, and some texturebrushes from M@. I didn't want to use a fineliner sketch on this one as I tried getting out of my comfort zone for a bit.

Little update on the design, I played around with the weaponsystem mainly. Added a nosecone with 4 lasercannons and a rocketlauncher in the forward pod. Bleh, on to the next one I guess

Name:  IDW 63 Deep Space Starfighter revised small.jpg
Views: 2180
Size:  310.1 KB

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your sb is beautiful! and I'm not even halfway. ^^ I can't stop looking.

and you have a DA account. hehe ^^

.................................................. .........
    there's only one sun and it travels the world everyday.
    - "there's only one sun" by wong kar wai

.................................................. .........

m y s k e t c h b o o k

m y g a l l e r y

m y b l o g

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Iamgale: Hey thanks for stopping by Yeah I kind of started out on DA so I still keep that account.

Here's a WIP of a hotrod I started yesterday. The sketch has some errors which I hope I can correct while rendering it. Markers, fineliners, pencils and soft pastels on cheap gray paper. Been a while since I put some effort into a single drawing like this, I almost forgot how much fun it is

Name:  Hotrod flip small.JPG
Views: 2125
Size:  471.1 KB

Last edited by yoitisi; March 12th, 2008 at 02:27 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey brother, I have to tell you, you're blowing my mind with this stuff... I love the looseness of your style, you've definitely inspired me to get out my markers!! Love the step by step, love the car drawing, even your blender is sexy! The only thing I want to see more from you is work on your characters. I have to admit that going back to Loomis and Hogarth has helped me out with gestures and faces. (you know, the usual heads hands and feet.) Bumskee's posts inspired me to do timed drills, you know, like 2 min a gesture, and do like 100 of them real quick.. I think they help you to visualize gestures on the fly, and I've noticed that I can record what I see in the real world more effectively, so my mental library of anatomy is getting stronger...just food for thought, you're bad ass enough to get there your own way! Thanks again for your support. It's always a pleasure to see what your up to!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your ID work blows me away. The rendering is superb and the dynamic perspective you keep pushing is providing a lot of information for the viewer. Excellent stuff!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Collinsully: Yeah I should work more on characters I know I should get my lazy ass into gear I guess...

Yosul Gongju: Thanks.

Small time update. Done during class, we have to draw cars from photoref. 30/40 min for each single car. Markers, pencils and some soft pastels. Fun to do but the proportions are hard to get right

Name:  car1 small.jpg
Views: 2005
Size:  500.8 KB

Name:  car2 small.jpg
Views: 1982
Size:  488.5 KB

25. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! those car sketches are great, I especially like that hotrod on the grey paper, excellent rendering!

Quinn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great work as usual man, the design and techniques is jus top notch.I'd actually really like to see a process of your marker works

you're gunna be in one of thsoe design studio press books someday soon

keep sharing!
    ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i hate you

but i also don't.

yeah..

time to draw.

Do not, ever, under any circumstances, not have fun.

Website

Blog

Sketch-ream!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice ID stuff Yoitisi !!!
    Doug Chaing is a fellow CCS alum, and your work looks very similar
    to the product and auto design taught here in Detroit.. Those ships
    are brilliant..!!! Thanks for posting..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hay wanted to finally add a comment here .. been worken on gettin the nerve too because ur so friken aswom top 5 in my favorite artist but enough with the butt kissin id have to agree u dont get enough figures done, so thats somethin id like too see more of, u ever get any free time from this asowme SB then leave me a crit it make my sketch book more worth while
    keep up the asowmeness

~You should never doubt what nobody is sure about~

Demo's Digital Damsels

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you have a very strong sense of design

if this is your first night, you have to fight.

my sketchbook - http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=121451

www.ianmillerart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quinn Simoes: Thanks

TheGnoll: I'm planning to say something about markering etc. in my mentorthread. Might take me a while though

jdeegz: Yeah, definately...

Earthenwood: Yeah the education is pretty similar I guess. Thanks for stopping by.

Epias: Thanks man

Demo: Hey no need to be afraid You're right, I should do more character and anatomy studies. Starting with life drawing lessons soon so hopefully that takes care of it.

BoiModl: Thanks.

Small update, been doodling on this critter while hanging around on IRC.

Name:  Birdthingy small.jpg
Views: 1843
Size:  115.7 KB

34. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome sketchbook man, ur id stuff is balls! esp. those cars up there^ ...
    high five

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey the hotrod its lookin' very "hot" so far mate!!..i really like ur car design...wanna see more..oh and ur stp by step its nice too...

"dear diary:..jackpot" my sketchbook

team chow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kicek: Yeah more cars on the way in a couple of weeks

Dan Valkar: Still have to finish that one, right now it hangs on the wall in the classroom Thanks for stopping by.

Did some more work today. First one is a sort of WIP for the Art Crusade, the topic is: 'Dark Abominations - Battle at the Horrors'. Have to come up with a good setting and composition for the characters.

Name:  AC Dark Abominations.jpg
Views: 1807
Size:  382.7 KB

Second one is a WIP for the current COW topic. Wasn't planning on entering that round but when I worked on the sketch I found it sort of fitted the sound pretty well

Name:  Birdthingy22 small.jpg
Views: 1748
Size:  105.7 KB

38. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 8