Sketchbook: Yoitisi's sketches (November 1 - 2010) - Page 11

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those last landscapes have a strong focus area. Although it might not have been intended, I like the idea of a dying-zebra-facility. The landscape around it too obviously embeds it though, wich seems a bit unnatural. The surface of the water on last one's cool but with more horizontal wave, reflektion, glitter-stuff on the surface, it should work better.
    Like the more curved/ organik feel to tha last vehicle concept. Since to my unscooled eye your vehicledesigns are quite a blast already, I would sense somewhat of an challange in doing organic, curve and sphere- heavy designst. Like of a squid-tank or a monowheel-snail-racer.
    Good to see you work on charakters too.

Last edited by blacky; June 30th, 2008 at 08:02 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good! Nice sketches and vehicles! And keep at it

What do you do in Delft? Study or work?

Cheers
    - Erik

Power is nothing without intelligence.

Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow nice work love your tanks expess the one in the dessert

-------> SKETCHBOOK <-------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    delicious updates!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice to see your hellmond work up here saw you work on this one on the projector http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...hmentid=402732
    a little vague but i like it anyway ^^
    great vehicle designs :o

keep it up

PORTFOLIO
    My Sketchbook
    Leslie Van den Broeck

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Texahol: Thanks a lot for your comment The problem with those latest updates is that I just don't spend enough time on them: sometimes only half an hour, up to one and a half hour max. Trying to change that lately.

Blacky: Yeah you're right about those landscapes. I did the original Zebra factory on Hyver's Tablet PC, so only when I viewed it on my own screen at home did I realise the landscape around it was pretty wonky. With the latter one I just should've put in a bit more time. The more organic designs shouldn't be too much of a problem, but you're right that my style tends to go towards angular/blocky stuff. Might try something in that direction Was good to see you again on the sketchmeet.

Erik: Both study and work I do Industrial Design Engineering at the Delft UT and work as a freelance artist.

Refriedspinach: Thanks!

Pascallo: Thanks, might do some more pencil stuff soon.

Quick Sketch: Thanks!

Ravenslayer: Hey there yeah the vagueness is partly because of the Tablet PC I was working on, I still have to get used to the colors and size of those screens.

It's been a while since my last update, but this was mainly because I was working on something bigger the last week. My holiday has started for real, so plenty of time to work on my portfolio. I desperately needed some more fully rendered designs and stuff, as most of what I did this year is a quick speedpaint or doodle, which doesn't look very good in a portfolio

A couple of pages back I posted some thumbnails of a possible replacement for the Hummer, a project I decided to push a bit more. Here's some more sketches.

scoutcar.jpgScout Vehicle sketches 2 small.jpg
    Scout Vehicle sketches small.jpg

I liked the sketch on the last page middle-right, so I decided to blow up the sketch and use it as a guide for the final rendering. I didn't like all the stuff that was going on in the initial sketch, so I quickly blocked out the main planes and parts and then produced a some more thumbnails.

Scout Vehicle 2 variants small.jpg

Looking back, I guess I still opted for something that looks quite like the original sketch, but it won't do any harm pushing things a bit further before going back This is the rough model from which I started to render. Usually, this step would've been only applying some color and a few details for me (because of lack of time..) but after doing the full render of this I realised that just doesn't work well enough.

Scout Vehicle 2 small.jpg

The upper image was done pretty quickly. Little did I know that after this I would spend some 20+ more hours on it to push it beyond what I normally do. I forgot how fun it is to noodle with all the small stuff to get it right

process render.JPG

Edit: Since people appreciated me putting up my process, I thought I might as well post my render process too. As you can see, a few things still changed during this process, not least of all the color. My apologies for the excesive tagging

Note the adding of details on the back part of the cabin, as the design felt a bit unbalanced in that department. In the end I opted for a simple box and antennae instead of the replacement wheel (which was inspired by rally cars). Also, the front changed quite a bit since I felt it'd be better if I showed something of the suspension and added things like a winch.

Another thing, on the side panels the directions of the separation lines of the armor plates is pretty wonky. A mistake I discovered very late in the process, but since I worked on a black and white layer (which was on multiply) this was easy to repair.

Scout Vehicle small.jpg

Final render. There might be a few things here and there that still need some attention, but for now I call it finished. I still have to put it into a nice layout explaining some stuff about the concept and all if I want to put it in my portfolio, but it's time to move on to the next project.

Last edited by yoitisi; July 16th, 2008 at 07:22 AM.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great looking vehicles man, loved to follow the latest's process, and the final result is really good.All the small quickies with tanks were very good too, i'm really envious on the way you hold tight to what you're working on studying all the ways to make it better.

AGain, those vehicles look great, the enviro quickies have never looked so good in here, but i still think you characters need more love, many of them feel "colder" that the vehicles for some reason (i liked the goblin guy, but didn't like the nail chewing soldier nor the average g i joe)
    i think you should apply the same principle of design in your characters too, and start with rogher bases, quick marker renderings n stuff just lke you do for the rest...argh dunno anyway, its always great to scroll thru this SB

ciao!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love thatyou post youre whole design process. Im not organized enough to have one. one of the things I always seek out from artists is the seeds of their ideas. ... there are some great beginings in the Rodin museum in paris. pencil on napkin. Looking at yours what the gnoll says is true, your sketches have more life to them than your finished renderings. think about it...if someone were going ot make this object, the only thing that isn't in the sketch, is the colour....

was fun to stop by
    roxie

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    beautiful sketchbook, can't believe I haven't seen it before. Keep up the inspiring work =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vehicle is so crisp nice work, it really looks professional, excellent job on the quality, maybe it could use some more texture though just on the metal, just to put some more life into it, but ya great work keep it up and stop by if you can
    -jedininja

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice vehicle! I appreciate watching the whole process of creating. Thank you

Anjin
    della Citta' Eterna
    "un marinaio non prega per il tempo buono... impara a navigare"
    - Anjin Art Website - - Sketchbook - - Anjin Art Blog -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some lovely designs in here!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The rendered version of the armoured car is frikking great. Nice sense of form. I like the hard edges!

Chris

Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, it’s a very cheesy response but it’s true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -Bjørn Hurri

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    TheGnoll: Thanks for the crit, much appreciated You're right about the characters, I didn't do any sketch of them before starting to paint. Guess that makes a bit awkward in the design department Then again, design wasn't my biggest concern here as I just wanted to try out rendering characters in PS. Will put some more work in them though.

Chaosrocks: Yeah I like to save my process so I can look back on it and see what needs improvement in the process rather than just having the final result. Posting it in here is also a reminder for myself, a way to stay organised The final rendering has indeed a little less 'life' in it, but that's partly intentional (in general I think it shows the final design a bit better, though sketches convey the 'feeling' of the design better usually) and partly my fault. I realised too late I should've turned the front wheels in a bit, so it would look a little more dynamic. Ah well, that's for the next one.

Eva K: Thanks!

jedininjaman: I deliberately didn't do too much on the texturing (in terms of 'ageing' like scratches and wear and tear) as this only serves for spicing things up. It makes the presentation of the actual design a bit less strong in my opinion.

Anjin: Thanks, I added some more to bridge the gap between sketch and final render

Cakeypigdog: Thanks for stopping by!

Hive minD: Thanks for dropping a note mate

For those interested in more about my process, I edited my earlier post and added some steps in between the black & white sketch and the final rendering.

And since no post of me in here should go without art, here's a quick horse study I did in between working on the Scout Vehicle above. Almost forgot I did this too

Horse 6 small.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice texture on that neck and head are huge compared to the horse but
    -jedi

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    glad to see you finally really pushing yourself.
    your work looks loads better for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Slobosaurus: Thanks

jedininjaman: Hm yeah, thought the horse in the reference image has these proportions. I found that there are a lot different breeds of horses with each their own typical proportions.

Texahol: Thanks man. I should do more of those I guess

Spend some time on the ortho's of the scout car above. I've come to realise how handy it is to have a 3d program Though I can perfectly well render it without such a program, it certainly makes the process a lot easier. Translating stuff from the render to 2d ortho's wasn't easy and took more time than I anticipated. Having a drawing table with ruler attached is really useful too. I kept the colors a bit muted and plain on purpose, so as not to mess up the lines and clarity of the drawings too much.

orthos scout final.JPG

And a sort of work in progress. Changed some stuff on the horse that wasn't in the reference image (lengthened the legs for example) and added a rider. Needs more work, but since it started out as a study I don't feel it's fit for making it a real painting.

Knight small.JPG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The vehicle looks great. Thanks for posting the in-betweens! It still baffles me just how you can "quickly block in" something that is correct in perspective.

I like the expression of the horse. He has a nice, passive air about him.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work man the horse is beautiful, I love the sheen on his coat. The
    Vehicle is nice and crisp, very cool design
    keep it up and stop by sometime
    -jedi

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome vehicle designs and renderings in post #307. Its very cool to see your process.

Quinn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guido, nice horse there. that latest design is very orthogonal, cool! designwise, i really feel that the tires are too big. i would like to see the car to be lower to the ground... i think... but maybe its me.. i guess its me hehe

cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nightblue: Perspective is easy I guess I should finish that horse and rider one day..

Jedininjaman: Thanks, I'll stop by your sketchbook soon.

Quinn Simoes: Thanks

Teh Gosu: hm you're partly right, I think in the front view the wheels should've been a bit wider apart, which would solve both problems. Then again, for a all-terrain vehicle the ground clearance is pretty important.

Couple of updates today. First some lazy sketches, as I intended to tackle a landscape this week, but then I started on my IDW entry and found I liked to work on that instead.

boar july 27 small.jpgsketches1 small.jpg

I've also been working on the layout and content of my portfolio, as basically I never really had one :/ I usually just gathered some stuff I had on my HD and would send that to clients or possible employers. I might have to change several of the landscape pieces, but the colors in these pieces seemed to work well together so far. I'll have to check and rewrite the text too I think.

Pages landscapes2 small.jpg

Pages Scoutcar 1 small.jpg

And my sketch so far for the current IDW round: Thirteen Treasures of the Island of Britain. This actually comes from Irish mythology, but is allowed within the scope of the topic. As you may notice, it's already in the layout of my portfolio as shown above, because I intend to put it in there when finished

Spear2 small.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you very good in vehicle designs. great render job!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Amazing stuff

The perspective you give your subjects and the attention to detail (especially with regard to the robots) is pretty much amazing.

You've got such ability as far as perspective goes I'm sure you could make some really convincing lighting/shadows that would make your work more interesting to look at.

Very inspiring.

HELP ME!
    MY SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zweidee: Thanks man

Wilbur: Thanks for the comment, I'll keep it in mind. Sometimes however I opt against dramatic lighting and all so the design is more clear, but this often makes it slightly duller to look at I guess.

Been doing a 1 hour Thunderdome on IRC for the Daily Sketch Group thread. Topic was 'personal flapping-wing flying device is known as "Hummingbird"'.

Flapping wings humming bird person small.jpg

Also an update on my IDW piece. Still very much a work in progress.

Spear5 small.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your art process is refreshingly vibrant - the organization, the thought, and the time and the effort put forth. I remember when you murdered that EOW topic. Gonna enter another one of those anytime soon?

Website

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice sketch man,all of those is good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Once agin amazing updates love all the vehicle desigins and renderings but i feel that that part of your portfolio reflects your skill better then your landscapes do

-Demo-
    -Sketch Book Updated Sporadically-
    My Blog
    Tumbler & Wookmark (finished pieces and Cool stuff I find)
    -Facebook(always on but never post)-

If you see me on FB, or CA Talk to me, never to busy to talk and love to hear from you, chat me up about anything (Music, Games, art, ect)
    If anyone is interested in streams or hangouts let me know!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn, yoitisi I go on vocation for 7 weeks I come back and you've taken your work to a whole other level. keep it up man.

it is better to have sketched and sucked than to never have sketched at all.

Visit my sketch book at
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ghlight=Devere

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5