Thanks

freelance? what freelance?

hey all, i wana know how you do work for freelance? like sombody wants a poster deigned and then they pay u. where do i find people who want such things doing ? sorry its hard to explain, how do I get people who want me to do freelance work.

anyway whoever can understand the dribble i just said please respond lol

ty

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    You just have to become one of the best artists in tha industry and create a name for yourself.
    Than people are looking for you and not other way around.
    Voila- You r a freelancer now!

Easy realy.

Thanks
    lol easy?!!?

Thanks
    Actually, if you can get any job at all, you can work freelance. Freelancing is all about building a network of people who know you and trust you. And that can start anywhere. I actually got a bit of freelance work based on a CD jacket I had done for a friend. I did it for nothing more than the experience, as an educational thing, but once the CD went on sale, people started asking about it. And one thing led to the next. Unfortunately, I ran out of gas before I really got anywhere (freelancing is exhausting at times), but I think the advice is still good.

Build that network, man!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,434 Times in 2,935 Posts
    exposure is key

doing the kind of work you want to do is key....only show the kind of work you want to do if you can...take jobs that pay less if they are publishing your work and it is the kind of subject matter you enjoy.

you need a website...and you need to post in all the art forums...and you can also send out mailers...hit the magazine racks and write down all the art directors name and send them the stuff to the addy of their business which is also inside the magazine.

you have to get your work out....only show your best stuff...and send appropriate stuff to appropriate places...dont go sending some monster concepts to stuff magazine...send illustrations of music or film artists or a babe...ya know..be specific.

it will work....i have plenty of friends doing it. including myself now that im leaving Vivendi tomorrow.

j

Thanks
    where is Vivendi?
    -http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks
    thnx for the very very usful help guys, what is a mailer though?

Thanks
    darkcult, I don't think you have to be one of the best artists around to do freelance!......I certainly don't consider myself to be one of the best artists around, but I do have clients calling me up to do some freelance work for them and have been doing this for years.....
    word of mouth is great too, if you do good work and you keep a good relationship with the client, chances are they will call again, and will bring more cllients.

Thanks
    yeah, listen to Jason. he knows what he's talking about.

Important people look at these forums and might hire you for a freelance job based on what they see. I know cause I've recieved a few freelance jobs just from people seeing my work here and at my site (although i havent posted any work in forever........must..update...soon.. ) And I'll tell you, its alot better than having some shitty job for the summer while im not in school.

So anyways, thank you Jason and Andrew (etc.) for having this forum and keeping it going, I know its helped me out along with lots of other people.

-wes

Thanks
    Also though, a word of advice is don't take on TOO much that you can't handle. Doing all the illustrations for a 200 book when you just get out of highschool is not adviseable for anyone wondering Be sure your ready for the work if you are going to do it. I know even I did some work for someone through a friend but I didn't realize how much work was actually involved in it. You also have to be good, and unfortunately even though I could draw decently it wasn't easy becasue it took me forever to get something good turned out. It's too bad he didn't ask me this summer, woulda been so much easier
    Just make sure you really do know what your doing and don't jump into it too early because it can hurt your chances.
    As a mans power and knowledge grows so the paths he may choose lessen more and more until he can choose only and whole what he must do.
    time to follow the trend: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...14#post1052814
    oh and heres a college buddy of mine:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75358

Thanks
    Nah, don't listen to them guys.
    You just have to become one of the best artists in tha industry.

Thanks
    P.S. Glad you didn't lost your sence of SARCASM and HUMOR guys. Bah.

:baby

Thanks
    wow great advice guys, thnx for replying. even you darkcult

im building up my online portfolio and im gonna try and keep posting work on this forum to get freelance work. I shall also try mailing art magazines some of my stuff.

thnx again guys.
    :chug: