anybody know...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: anybody know...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

anybody know...

does anybody know of any type of community service that has to do with art or video games (or both)?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ?

I see someone needs to fill up some volunteer time. Helpful hint; do things that anyone can respect. Having 'taught elderly how to pwn at runescape' isn't going to be as impressive as 'helped rebuild run-down student center' on a resume.

But if you must, community service with art is easy; try to find a volounteer mural gig. If you're in a city it should be somewhat easy to find, depending. Other than that you could hold a fundraiser art festival and donate all the entrance/food money to a local charity or something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlySlippers
    does anybody know of any type of community service that has to do with [...] video games?
    I'm sorry...that made me laugh out loud. XD Way to take the easy way out...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well its not really an easy way out, cause it has to do with my senior project. and its a lot easier to write about this for my project and incorporate it, it if along the same lines.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yes. If you are already in the games industry, then you have the option to teach what you know to those who aspire to get into the industry.

Another option for anyone with any job is www.icouldbe.org, where you can mentor highschoolers and be a representative of your particular career.

There are all sorts of small development companies out there who make “serious games”, including idealistic educational games. I’m sure some of them could use volunteers or interns.

Volunteer options involving games are going to be a lot more limited if you are just someone who happens to like games, and don’t have any experience making them, because game are generally just a source of amusement. You might as well go looking for a volunteer opportunity that has to do with building sand castles. However, if you’re smart and ambitious and wanting to be a leader, I bet you could come up with a way to combine sandcastles and community service, or games and community service. You could start your own project and get others involved.

A possible idea:

Find out if you have a local game company.* Introduce yourself to them, and arrange for a representative of the company to give a presentation in the auditorium of your school. Advertise the event around the community, charge two dollars for admission, and donate the money to the school, or to Child’s Play.

As a bonus, if you have ambitions of making games, this sort of activity would be great on your resume. It says you have management potential.

Best of luck to you.

*I see you are in Marin County. You have lots of local game companies to choose from!

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't your mother tell you that spray-painting your initials on Hondas was a bad idea?

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks seedling, that was a lot of good information. The only problem with gettin a presentation going at my school, is that the community service aspect of my project is a very small part of it, and I am limited on time. But I'll see what i can do.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.