C.O.W. - #080: Winged Healer
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Fozzybar is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow C.O.W. - #080: Winged Healer

Round #080

Topic:
    Winged Healer

Deadline:
    Tuesday, 20th March 2007

- for any questions or help go here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37512

note: The deadline won't be EXACTLY after a week...it can last up to 24 hours more, i am human and have to work also, you know

Post your creature for this week!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanx to TomCardin again for a nice topic!

ADDITIONAL INFO

- creature must have wings
    - creature must have the ability of healing (comprehensible)
    - no individual or character

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1. Placeholder!
    2. I curse you Fozzybar! Curse you with the powerful name of
    Fafarafa the Bleble, god of unfinished pics! Two or three hours more,
    and I gonna put the final piece for Lava Swimmer.
    Why you make the poll so rapidly? Grhaa! :]

-- Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still. --
    -- My New Not So Sick but Yet Sick Sketchbook is here! --

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heh.. it happens man. this should be an interesting topic.. having a hard time deciding on a direction to take with it. i like the challenge - JAG

it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    INFORMATION

btw, here is a thread where we are thinking out loud about making a COW book...go here and add your thoughts:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92339

INFORMATION

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hard topic once again I think I'll have to start thinking outside my own box for COW...which is probably a good thing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CC always welcome

The year is 2057 and the scientists at Clonecorp are celebrating their 5th anniversary of their greatest creation. Little had they known years ago when they were trying to perfect the perfect household companion that they would have stumbled upon one of natures greatest secrets…extended life.
    As the worlds population grows and there is less and less free range for both man and beast the greatest scientific minds got together to form the think-tank that is now Clonecorp. Your average household pet had become passé, and with allergens on the rise, along with shrinking living spaces the idea came about to use the latest cloning and DNA splicing techniques to come up with what would be the perfect household pet.
    After thousands of sad (undocumented dangerous) combinations, some of which still plague the outside world today, a variety of new animal was developed. A lucky combination of soft and cuddly, cute and sweet, protective and defensive, along with hypoallergenic, and relatively maintenance free.
    Dubbed the "wonder pet", it went on the market for just less than a year when it was found that mammary secretions from this new animal were the only common factor in what seemed to be rejuvenated owners.
    Immune systems became strengthened, colds were eliminated, virus’s killed, and in general people became healthier and were living longer. It would seem that the milk from these wonder pets actually had a healing effect, and they became affectionately known as “Winged Healers”.
    Now a hot commodity winged healers are being sold for incredible amounts, and it would seem that only the early owners and now the wealthy elite will be able to own such pets…most donations from Clonecorp now go to Retirement and Assisted Living homes, keeping our aged loved ones around with us for as long as possible. Clonecorp vows to continue to helping this population along and produce even more of these lifesaving companions... for a price of course.

Last edited by Woodlandwalker; March 15th, 2007 at 07:14 AM.
    Drawing is the honesty of the art. There is no possiblity of cheating. it is either good or bad. ~ Dali

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WTH?!?!?!? A WIP post already?! lol ur the man Woodlandwalker

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by njoo
    WTH?!?!?!? A WIP post already?! lol ur the man Woodlandwalker
    ssshhhh... slow day... hehe

Drawing is the honesty of the art. There is no possiblity of cheating. it is either good or bad. ~ Dali

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He's fast too! Looking good Woodlandwalker.

Can't wait to see what creatures this topic generates. Thanks Fozzybar!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the topic Tom. It's going to be a tricky one to pull off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    O_O bright colors and shininess much? I might concentrate on the teen challenge this week. >.<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ChaoticKnight> Well, you can make your totally cool dark healer too...

Fozzt> How do you mean that "(comprehensible)"? Well, I am not sure... The creature has to heal in comprehensible way? Like Woodlandwalker's concept is disqualified? Hmm.. I hope it's meant just like it has to be clear that the creature heals... Ok, when writing this, I am sure yet.. Nevermind

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah just to be sure.. im fuzzy on the whole must be able to heal' thing. as in it can heal itself?? or it can heal others?? i guess technically it can do both, or just one, huh?

ok i get it.. forget me talking - JAG

it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, nice topic!
    Where´d you get all these fantastic inspirating ideas?

Well, for me, the "winged healer" means something like an angel. By that, i mean it does not really heal injuries, but heals the mind and soul. Like religious aid or something.
    For me now its hard to decide whether i should take part on COW or EOW. For both i´ve got ideas......ah, speaking of ideas; do you guys often have got the same problem as i do? I read the topic and have the image for it in my mind at an instant. Then it´s hard for me to think of other ideas because the idea remains in my head for days, and I dont feel very well to just draw the very first idea and to not really have clearly thought of other ways..... oh well i guess i bore you, sry. ;P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mydrim
    Like Woodlandwalker's concept is disqualified?
    oh for cryin out loud... yes please.. Foz let me know, hate to be canx right from the get go... let me know and Ill change my storyline

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, Ill try to enter this one too. And try REALLY hard to make a acual nice design... xD;

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WIPlaceholder!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, here's my first attempt ever at COW. The sketch below is obviously a WIP, critique appreciated...other than what I just realized, that being that I may have just drawn a swarm of flying, bat-winged vaginas....>_< Yeah um...I'm officially claiming the flying blue vaguely carnal image concept, so I'd best not see any feathery phalluses after I post this...though that would be amusing.

the image:

Native to the steppes, foothills, and mountains of the Pyrethian highlands, the Blue Firamyksh, known by the inhabitants of the region as the "Winged Healer," is a relative of the common bat and a member of the rodent family. They travel in swarms, and feast solely on red polypore fungi, which grow rampantly in the region. Through processing in their primitive digestive system, the fungus' spores are converted from germinating bodies into a thick yellow gelatinous substance that collects on the bottom half of the Firamyksh's body. This yellow gunk is harvested from the corpses of the beast by local tribesmen, and is hailed for its antiseptic and healing qualities.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is my first attempt at the COW, I see the rules says one image, but are you allowed to have lets say an image of the creature flying and then on the same Image the mechanics of how the creature heals?, or different angles like in an anatomy book. Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, just make sure it is all in one image [i.e. 1 jpeg]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Justin -

That looks sorta like a Skree Griffin from Guild Wars....and for anyone who doesn't play....they are healers in the game.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've sketched three different creatures to fit this concept. and I'm thinking about doing them each. One a day, if I can. Maybe not tomorrow, I'm going to go see 300 on Imax!! But I plan to have three done by the end of this comp. Here is my first. Done tonight in quicky fashion...

The Winged Healer is a carrion eater found in humid swamps. It is so called because of it's use by doctors. It is used to clean festering wounds, and damaged tissue like medicinal maggots. It will ONLY eat rotting flesh with it's amazingly sensitive beak and probing with the sensory pads on it's feet. It also secrets a strange organic chemical from glands in the wrinkles of it's medial beak that have been proven to act as an antibiotic. It's odd cone of feathers around it's neck is believed to be both a display during estrus periods to attract mates, and to keep it from soaking it's flight feathers in ichor from feeding.

Heavily referenced Njoo's tut for the Lava swimmer to do this as quickly as possible, but also to get enough information in there to have it feel painterly as well as visually explanatory. You guys tell me if I pulled it off. CHEERS! One down, two to go!

--------------
    Wickedness is a myth invented by good people to account for the curious attraction of others.

My Blogspot

www.cannibalcandy.com

Look at the monkey wh0re himself out:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=78819

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44658

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Cannibalcandy: that looks sweet some crits though: I'm missing something that connects the legs with its body. Also, the shadows and colors on the cone seem to differ from the rest of his body (the green reflection, where does it come from that it only shows up on the crest?)

Anyway, crank out the other two, I'd love to see em

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The green bit was an attempt to do transilluminosity. Light coming through the feathers and visible on the backside... As for the legs... What do you suggest to improve the connection to the body? Thanks for the crit! ^_^

--------------
    Wickedness is a myth invented by good people to account for the curious attraction of others.

My Blogspot

www.cannibalcandy.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im so jealous canibal! i want ur talent!

And they lived happily ever after..until Snow White got hit by a car.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Removed because I have a huge creative block right now.

Last edited by FlyingMilton; March 17th, 2007 at 11:28 PM.
    All the cool kids ignore my ketchook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooooh, could be tricky but I'll start to work on something. I look forward to see the different interpretations you guys come up with. Good luck.

Jag har en inbyggd kompass. -Skalman

http://www.patchtogether.com/members...rs/showprofile Vote for my patch together designs, please?

http://www.etsy.com/shop/SirJohanna ORIGINAL ART FOR SALE

http://nanna.deviantart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I sketched these out at BurgerKing after work earlier today. You can see the bird version. The other two are comin up! I figure some crits at the earlier stage might help my anatomy or anything that needs fixin' before I get to the paints...

--------------

My Blogspot

www.cannibalcandy.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mydrim
    Fozzt> How do you mean that "(comprehensible)"? Well, I am not sure... The creature has to heal in comprehensible way? Like Woodlandwalker's concept is disqualified? Hmm.. I hope it's meant just like it has to be clear that the creature heals... Ok, when writing this, I am sure yet.. Nevermind
    I said comprehensible, because i don't want an entry of a winged elephant which is told to be healing but there is no further detail in the concpet or image...just trying to keep the entries on track. I don't want random creatures with wings, where you just claim that the creature is healing for the sake of the topic. More thinking less randomness...

And this means that Woodlandwalker is not rejected of course!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.