Art: Editorial - The weekly good finds in the depths of CA.

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Editorial - The weekly good finds in the depths of CA.

Hello all,

This is a small effort to turn these forums into a even better place.
    Our time is precious... we slide trough few pages taking the daily dose of art and move along. Yet.. we have no ideea of the ammount of gems we are missing.
    Concepart.org has grown a lot - we will try to mine trough it and bring you some of the best stuff that you are ussualy missing and we'll post it here.
    In the same regard, if you stumble uppon a thread that it is worthy to be mentioned here, feel free to report that thread to mods and admins.
    It can be the thread of a great progres, a good sketchbook entry, an interesting battle and so on.

[edit] - FEEL FREE TO COMMENT AND MAKE SUGGESTIONS IN THE LOUNGE

for the moment you can also use this address to report the good threads.

ca.editorial ~at~ gmail.com

Don't report threads from the finished area.

Don't abuse our time with announcements of things - report only threads that are usefull for everyone - a good lesson, good art, etc.

Make a note in the report "For the Editorial Team". (not if you are using the email above)

IMPORTANT: Artists, If you are featured here, please make sure the links remain available. Don't take your art down. Thank you.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Oblio; April 18th, 2007 at 07:27 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oblio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And to start.. i'll give you a glimpse of what's happening in the Weekly Activities.
    Last week winners are:

COW (Creature Of the Week)
    Topic: Heart Harvester
    Artist: VegasMike
    Concept: The Heart Harvester is a scavenger...From high above, the raptor like creature uses its keen sense of smell for blood to locate its favorite meal, the heart. The bird will fly to the kill screaching loudly and posturing with its plummage to scare off any predators around the area...It works swiftly by puncturing the rib cage with its sharp beak and serrated tip thrusting and sawing upwards through bone and cartilage...It then snips the heart from its chamber and collects it in its expanding gullet, much like a pelican...This way it can store multiple meals for its young and for the future.

CHOW (Character Of the Week)
    Topic: Chief Librarian of the Lost Sea Scrolls
    The Chief Librarian was once a lord of Atlantis. Foreseeing the city’s demise he gathered the most sacred and powerful texts and took them to a place where no mortal could find them. He now lives in solitude, the sole guardian of the secrets that allow one to control the most powerful forces in the oceans.
    Artist: D-BAKER

EOW (Environment Of the Week)
    Topic: Rapunzels tower
    Artist: XGABO
    Concept:
    The Asteroid Dark Ages and the Iconoclastic Knight

When the descendents of the human population emerged from their concrete caves into the sickly light of day, in the middle of the twentieth-third century, they inherited only a wasteland. The rolling hills of what was once Germania were burned with long stripes of esterilized black terrain, like the back of an enormous tiger, pierced here and there by twisted spears of steel that once supported imposing skyscrapers. The red eye of the sun, barely open like awakening from a hundred-year hangover, lazily gazed at the survivors like saying: "What are you still doing here?"

Having spent the last generations locked in crowded bunkers, forcibly having to swallow each other’s idiosyncracies like some kind of extended group therapy, we could not stand to look at our faces anymore. each one of us went their own way, without even saying a word. Like a precariously glued porcelain, humanity broke in familiar pieces. Eventually, new versions of old kingdoms emerged from the rubble, rekindling old customs and rivalries. I myself commited many unspeakable acts in the name of imaginary loyalties to things like “God” and “Country”. deeply ashamed, I exiled myself of the eyes of my fellow men.

30 years later, I am still roaming the land. Tired of fighting with my neighbors, I became a kingless knight; my domain extending from the acid river in the south all the way to the foot of der Schwarzwald. This region was scarred deeply by the Armaggedon, craters like wounds wherever you go. The "Asteroid Dark Ages" they say. In some points, the cuts are so deep that unreal things are surfacing from the Depths of the Earth. Demons, Deities and Fairy Tales of the old times, struggling to survive like all of us. I met many of them in my wanderings.

Even yesterday, I met "Blue Radish Girl", or "Rapunzel" in the old language. I kid you not. Looking for food in the mountains, I found an old estate where the only surviving building was a tower with no doors. Everyone knows the old story... Beautiful braids thrown down the window to allow one to reach the princess. But the prince is long dead, and the witch is loose in the world; she could not care less about her captive.

People say your hair keeps growing even after you are dead. Rapunzel’s prodigious braids not only never stopped growing from her dead scalp in centuries, but took over the entire estate, strangling the contructions around it like some poisonous vine. Black crows larger than eagles violently fought for the disarranged locks, competing for the best strands to build their nests. I've seen those birds before. They belonged to Odin, aging bastard god and self-proclameid monarch of the north lands. Like spoiled brats, the crows invaded people’s farms, stole animals and caused trouble. Killing one of the crows was to incur Odin’s anger.

Nevertheless, They were fat, and probably delicious, And I had a couple of Mistletoe arrows just in case of those troublesome Teutonic Gods caused me any grief. I quickly dispatched the largest of the birds, and the rest flew away. I knew I would pay for that, but I didn’t care. The old stories were as real as you and me, and nothing was sacred anymore in this new world.

As I loaded the carcass in my horse I looked back, and could not help but smile... For the first time in a long while I felt like a real Knight, defending a Princess (albeit a dead one) from Evil. It was dawn, and the silhouette of the tower divided clearly night and day, dark and light, good and bad. I bowed down and rode into the rising sun.

3CH (Random Topic Of The Week)
    Topic: A thundering zombie bombs a delivery dude (in black and white).
    Artist: ATAnderson
    Concept:
    It was late, my shift ended on the next drop off, I was pissed off and Dana was waiting for me.
    Everyone knew the stories, everyone had their own version - nobody believed them....but then nobody used The Route 1 Approach Road after dark either.

It was foot down the whole way - I saw something in the rear view - second glance it was gone ΦΦ- then out the passenger side, there he was, the booming sound of his engine equaled only by his devilish laugh. He was looking at me like he was waiting for something. Then I saw what he had in his hand.....

If you want to see more of those - feel free to go to this side of the forum:

LINK: http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74

we will try to provide links for every interesting area of the forums.

Last edited by Oblio; March 14th, 2007 at 11:40 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Oblio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last week in the Master Copy thread good pieces came out.

this is Sketch Monkey's piece of Sargent copy. Hope you guys know how helpfull master studies are.

Get down here to get some inspiration or to post your own.

LINK: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1246432

Last edited by Oblio; March 14th, 2007 at 11:40 AM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oblio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you like sketchbooks? Well.. the EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOKS Area has just been redesigned.

The titans need a gentle reminder to update those caves. So feel free to let them know you dig their books.

Follow this link to see more.
    LINK: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=89

Here is some stuff from the last entries.

robogabo:
    Editorial - The weekly good finds in the depths of CA. Editorial - The weekly good finds in the depths of CA.

Phuzion:

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oblio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Explore more...
    Our PHOTO section has been gathering good tallents over the years.
    Let's see some picks of the last week postings. Mostly new users.
    Thx LeGab for help.

Crucial Taunt - Untitled

Name:  taunt.jpg
Views: 46900
Size:  500.5 KB

Thread: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=91935

---------------------------------------------------

Klips - Lines

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...t=77930&page=2

DeakinLane - Untitled

Thread: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=91621

Rekno - Untitled

Name:  ranko.jpg
Views: 40681
Size:  81.6 KB

Thread: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=90346

----------------------------------------------------
    Stine - i can see clearly now the rain is gone

Thread: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...t=59222&page=4

---------------------------------------------------------

bogdan_albei - Decadent Diva

Name:  diva.jpg
Views: 43066
Size:  139.5 KB

Thread: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...t=73325&page=2

-------------------------------------------------------

Best shots of 2006 - http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85341

Winners of the photochallenge - http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61113

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oblio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So let's venture to the 3D& SCULPT sector. From time to time serious kickass pieces are popping up in that area - things that make you want to sculpt and revise your 3D love.

VISIT THIS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Here are some of the most recent posts:

Artist: Apropos Concept: Death of St Sebastian

Link: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92303
    __________________________________________________ ____

Artist : Insomniac Zombie
    Concept: Mythical Chinese Creature
    The original design -

The final painted sculpt -

LINK: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92318

Artist: dextermcspice
    Concept:
    Name:  hand.jpg
Views: 40840
Size:  336.5 KB
    LINK: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...07#post1247407

Artist: Patrick
    Concept: Fiona the Faun (natural look)

...POLYMER NUDITY AHEAD ...

LINK: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=91176

So if you think you have any excuse for avoiding your 3D skills or at least the 3D area of CA... take a sec. and reconsider.

Last edited by Oblio; March 15th, 2007 at 06:53 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oblio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just looking in the Thunderdome area.. i noticed that the Winners of the "Stylized Animal Challenge - February" were just announced.

You will see them in the 2D Artist Magazine...but before that... let me give you a preview.

Topic: CAMEL

Winner:
    CHUCKMATE
    (yes.. a big battle awaits for this man in the fight for the new King of Characters - see CHOW)

The 2nd place is shared by the following artists - both with 19 votes.

28thWing

Osrander

CONGRATULATIONS.

See the whole thread here:

LINK: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=88779

yayca

Last edited by Oblio; March 15th, 2007 at 09:39 AM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oblio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok.. we're back.
    I had to swing around the east europe countries agian hence the delay in the update.
    Let's see what else is new in the Weekly Activities Corner.
    Last week winners are:

COW (Creature Of the Week)
    Topic: Lava Swimer
    Artist: NJOO
    Concept: "Nothing should survive in such high temperature environment, however the internal structure of this mystic beast is beyond the understanding of men. While all creature must consume food to create energy to survive, the beast feeds on perhaps the purest form of energy, heat. Similar to plants, which require sunshine and water, in a mythical world, the closest thing that is a combination of the sun and water, would perhaps be lava. It's internal organs, if they can even be called organs, transform the heat into energy to "power" up this unique creature. The Lava swimmer is a slow moving beast, and swims as if it has lost its soul. Where did it come from, why did it choose to exist in such lonely world where no other lifeform exist... that's a story for another time..."

CHOW (Character Of the Week)
    Topic: Aztec Space Traveller
    Intelligent life forms have been visiting our planet for thousands of years. They created a giant landing strip in the Nazca desert. They have been celebrated as statues and other relics created by many civilizations in Central America.

Design a space traveller (humanoid or otherwise) wearing a costume influenced by Aztec or other similar cultures.

Artist: cakeypigdog
    Editorial - The weekly good finds in the depths of CA. Runner up xgabo with one vote difference: Editorial - The weekly good finds in the depths of CA.

EOW (Environment Of the Week)
    Topic: The Library of the Lost SeaScrolls
    Artist: yAnimator
    Concept:
    [B]An expedition to the Antarctic was made in an attempt to recover the lost scrolls from the advanced civilization which was thought to be destroyed by the angry Gods. A civilization that had documented all of it's technological advances onto these scrolls. Once discovered, the crew placed all the scrolls inside empty wine bottles to prevent any further damage to the already aging scrolls. Along the way back, pirates which had tailed the expedition laid in ambush waiting to attack.

The expedition's crew not wanting the lost technology to fall in the wrong hands decided they must rid the ship of all knowledge of the scrolls. All the wine bottles which held the precious scrolls were tossed into the ocean. Most ended up in the bottom of the ocean to be completely forgotten. However, there were still some that were left floating, scattered along the water's surface. These were the bottles which could not be uncorked in last moments remaining. These corked bottles protecting the precious secrets of the scrolls inside may still yet be left to be found.

The remaining library of the lost sea scrolls.

3CH (Random Topic Of The Week)
    Topic: Raptor, nerd, cellar
    Artist: Chuck-Mate

Concept:
    This has NOT been Wilbur Allen's day.
    The morning began like every other morning-
    He got to school, was beaten up by Tommy Lupertaze at lunch time, spilled his soda
    On Lorain DeMarko, got beaten up by her boyfriend (Tommy Lupertaze), blew up the science lab (spilled his soda on the test tubes. again. Got beaten up by Tommy Lupertaze. Again.) and then failed the afternoon P.T. exam. After the 15:00 O'clock beating by Bobby Aguardo (and his pal Tommy Lupertaze) he went home, just in time to find his twin brother, Billy, eating one of the neighborhood kids ("…hey, he dared me. Thought I was you, the poor sap. And you…you big pussy…this is all your fault, ya know. You're a raptor, dude, start acting like one! I mean for the love of…").
    After getting beaten up by the police officer (sergeant Henry, Sergeant Henry Lupertaze) mistaking him for Billy (who took off in Wilbur's "Gremlin"), he was incarcerated. His father disowned him saying he was never been so embarrassed in his life ("…yes we're raptors, but… eating little Timmy? I will never be able to show my face `round the office again …dear god, you're an idiot Wilbur, I mean for the love of…."),
    And come night time Wilbur got to meet his cellar mate.
    Bubba.

Nope.
    This has NOT been Wilbur's day.

If you want to see more of those - feel free to go to this side of the forum:

LINK: http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74

we will try to provide links for every interesting area of the forums.

Last edited by Oblio; March 22nd, 2007 at 10:03 AM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oblio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So... who's been in the FINE ARTS area lately?
    I'm sure that some things can help you with your work even if you don't aim for a fine arts career.
    Have a little look on this thread that Idiot Apathy started a looong time ago yet it still has it's power and magic.

LINK http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53517

so.. go and try your hand at some of the exercises:

Moving on with some other past entries in that Fine Arts Area... we find our top of the page, Marc Taro in "the life painting thread"
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...68#post1255268
    he's back into traditionals - see his sketchbook - he loves it and we love it.

Quote Originally Posted by marc_taro
    my first few oils...clicky for biggie

Editorial - The weekly good finds in the depths of CA. Editorial - The weekly good finds in the depths of CA. Editorial - The weekly good finds in the depths of CA.
    and even lower on the page Stephen is presenting a painting done in Florence - now.. that's a sort of a teaser for theWorkshop if you ask me.
    Name:  stephen-florence.jpg
Views: 35822
Size:  68.8 KB

On another note, one of the new users on conceptart (registerd this march) has a nice topic in the Fine Arts area.
    We lost another 3D animator to the fine arts side
    Check out DecktillDawn's stuff here
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=91310
    Name:  cast_small.jpg
Views: 35349
Size:  81.1 KB
    Name:  studio.jpg
Views: 35196
Size:  312.6 KB

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oblio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Time for the foto round up.
    Not so many this time - maybe next week?
    Racoon with a cigar

Thread: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...t=71820&page=3

Morbid:

Thread: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82064

EazyM

Thread: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...39#post1255839

Steve Walton
    Thread: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92783

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oblio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uh.. in case you haven't noticed - Pete Konig has a DVD to offer.
    Name:  pklargeBanner.jpg
Views: 34293
Size:  87.1 KB
    Now.. i will not use this space to advertise things but i'm a fan of the Konig teddy bear - i haven't met a guy who can Draw, Sculp, Model (CG) and Animate as Pete is. I had the pelasure to watch him work at some workshops (Austin, SF Jan. Montral) and i did missed his presence at Insomania.
    Haven't got the DVD yet - but as soon as i get my hands on it - expect some pics with the clay mess from my appartment. Btw - do you know any cleaning service around Sofia ?

More here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=91862

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oblio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok - i'll do this too.
    I dont intend to pop up here with things you guys have already seen but i will try however to pinpoint when interesting threads show up.
    This one gets the award for cool initiative turned out great.

Follow this link http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...9&page=1&pp=60 - thanks to Josef Lee for sharing his project with us.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oblio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So.. before i roll out the winners of the last week activities (by the way.. it looks like this thread works - we have new more people getting kicking ass down there) here are some small finds and cute updates.
    I'll say first congrats to Hurricane - for his 2 years old kid.
    Want to get inspired - WORK HARD - like this guy:

Quote Originally Posted by hurricane
    Hello all!

Today is my Sketchbooks 2nd birthday!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41092
    I started it at May 24th 2005 and here's some paintings it holds!

It's been quite a ride and hopefully i'll be able to show/create more art soon!
    I have quite cool news to share with this community! (as soon as i'm allowed to)

Fun facts...
    Around 2000 pictures, 71 pages of Conceptart.org sketchbook, ~4 gb of jpgs and psd's
    over 15 sketchbooks and 2700+ pages of paper sketches...

Here's is some of what i've done.

let the show begin!

there rest you can find in the FINISHED area.

Idiot Apathy.. man i hate this guy... he managed to let me know.. that he has a better thread to learn.
    Now.. i come and ask you - why you kids pay those schools when you can bust your ass online?
    If you only be so determined as Hurricane and devoted like Idiot Apathy... umm... i forgot what i wanted to say - yeah - i know - paying byg money is the best kick in the but for one self to push harder.

Here is what the Idiot has to offer. Wait... i see a Prometheus|ANJ sketch - do you get this in school?
    Name:  materials.jpg
Views: 33597
Size:  39.7 KB

Here is THE LINK:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76955

So.. let's get down to the weeklies now:
    *gets the shovel and starts digging*

By the way - NOBODY sent me any interesting link of this forum - there is an email address on the top... umm. USE IT.
    Thx.

edit - so, with the help of Cavematty i bring you another two learning initiatives.
    Conceptart 101 - http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81332
    Seedling is putting a lot of effort to bring new people into the gaming world. Thank you.
    if you feel like watching a deep take on anathomy.. then follow one of Mentler's threads.
    The Bone Doctor is going well.. to the bone of it Thank you.
    Here;s the LINK http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...93#post1159293

Once again - thank you for helping me find good threads.

Last edited by Oblio; March 27th, 2007 at 05:51 AM.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oblio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since the other weeklies have issues on selecting a winner i will just let you know about CHOW and the other beautyful discoveries and things from CA.
    So...

Progression thread of CA people - all your friends have progressed. Did you?
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...t=57331&page=3

Quote Originally Posted by MidgardSerpent
    November 2004
    My first two self-portraits

March 2007
    My latest self-portrait. Still working on it, though (floating eye and such).

But in all fairness, there was already improvement after my first two selfportraits after the initial baby-steps, so the improvement has been mostly gradual, I think.
    And I used to just visit the finished work section and checked out the stuff that had 5 stars.

But there's a lot of useful knowledge on this site and I've only been much more aware of that for the past few months. And it's very interesting and educative when more experienced artists talk about... anything, really.
    In the CHOW area - Marco Mazzoni is the new winner of the last week.
    He had A LOT of great enemies on the poll - check it out.
    Also - this week we vote for the BLACK QUEEN - which ended up with 44 entries on the poll - some showing amazing skill.

CLICK this one
    http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=84

I am waiting sign from the mods of the other weekly activities so i can pimp the winners of the last week/edition here!

And... finaly - to clean up the suspicions - no , we at conceptart dont/ do just monsters.

See the Joyfull art thread! Contribute and make sure you have this side working too.
    Thank you Seedling.

Entroid's stuff - i'd lick the paint out of this

CLICK the Joy http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...08#post1264508
    Just in time to remind us all why we have some great girls around. What? Ah.. how could i forget - the joyfull Steph is on the top list.
    Look at the thumbs above the forums. She came up there.. to make room for a whole serie of great artists. YAYCA

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oblio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok - it's time for an update here. so.. let;'s see

COW 80 winner: XGABO

just 2 votes difference from canibalcandy's entry

the rest is here
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=93131

Now.. on the EOW grounds we have a new winner:
    ArtZealot got this one as a favorite
    Check out the rest 42 entries :

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=93333

Moving on to 3CH

Behold CHUCKMATE
    that means: A sandblasted snail blesses a ninja during church. Gotta love 3CH

i'll try to come up with more from the real depths of CA. Just gimme a seccond... and a net-shovel

[edit] = oh silly me - i forgot about CHOW...
    Well... Poshspice is on the big league now. With this piece he got into the battle for the King of CHOW.
    Keep an eye there - The best character designer of all times will be decided .. in one month

The topic about the black queen - amazing entries...
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=93462

Last edited by Oblio; April 4th, 2007 at 06:38 AM.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oblio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh boy, look what 've found in the lounge.
    A link to cgSociety... but.. what a link. I can see me!

Damn Dougan - great movie my friend!

Last edited by Oblio; April 4th, 2007 at 10:55 AM.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oblio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to kind people who suggested this things for me in the lounge thread:

Carnifex was on Mattias Sketchbook. Man.. what a jewel.

Follow this link and you'll be SO inspired.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75699

Moving on... we have something else for you.
    Un autre Mathias... the respectable M@ hase some videos in his SB.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=87037 CHECK IT OUT

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oblio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In our photo section - Phill Holland.

More here
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...89#post1282789

Comments, suggestions, threads to be pimped- SPEAK UP in the lounge!
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94150 HERE

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Oblio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so - you think our SCULPT section is not serious?
    How about THIS SERIOUS?

Artist: RENWEI
    Topic: My Orc (Non Comercial use)

I say it's amazing!

And since we were talking about amazing, today MAB updated his great thread.

MAB has a lot more in this thread included painted sculpts and all.

Moving on.. here is Angela's Talbot piece. Lovely detail and amazing color work.

See the whole thread for another great shot and to leave your comments. HERE

Comments, suggestions, threads to be pimped- SPEAK UP in the lounge!
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94150 HERE

Last edited by Oblio; April 18th, 2007 at 07:12 AM.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oblio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And let's have a walk in the Exclusive Sketchbook Area - Are the pro's still doing things for fun ?

Sallaryman - ups - he dropped one:
    Thread: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75297 there's a bit more

Phuzion has dropped a lovely load
    Move to his thread and be amazed: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=71811 much more dropped yesterday.

Robogabo makes it seem easy - for him - this is lunchbreak
    Thread: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...55#post1291755

and a recent one from MATTIAS becouse i like it

moving to another thread that you should dig - Our beautyfull Emilly G is on a journey of learning next to William Whitaker.

Name:  emily.jpg
Views: 31673
Size:  260.4 KB
    Read on here
    Meow!!! Enjoy!

Last edited by Oblio; April 18th, 2007 at 07:56 AM.

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oblio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aaaahoooy - it's time for an update - right?
    sory for the big delay - i've been bouncing again half of the planet - got to SF and bought myself some CHIKCS DRAW CHICKS CALENDARS only to forget them there
    I wanted one to note all the birthdays there and some to make presents as they are really nice. well... back to Bucharest - next week i'll be in Paris for 2 days then Bulgaria then.. i'll let you know.
    Back to our business... it's time to gather the beste COW's out there.
    Back at COW #81 - Living Trap
    cannibalcandy does it again.

concept:
    The Mana Prison is not so much a creature, but more of a construct. At best it can be described as a very powerful magical flying frog. It is one of many different types of homunculi that are created by the dark order of sorcerers called the Alizarin Sons. The method and ingredients in constructing/summoning this creature are closely guarded by the Sons, but it's dangerous purpose is widely feared. The inverse bowl shaped Mana Prison attacks a wizard by swooping in from above, and enveloping the entire head of the victim. As soon as it is settled on the now cocked back head, the mind of the victim is instantly thrown into a torpor filled with dreams of consuming bliss. The Prison serves many purposes to it's master, firstly as it feeds on the latent magical energy of it's victim, it's waste becomes siphoned mana directly into the body of it's creator. Secondly, the Prison acts as a magical remote control, where the dreaming mage acts as a powerful minion of the Alizarin Son. Fortunately for us, it is very obvious when a wizard is under the control of a Mana Prison (as you can see), and he cannot be used in any discreet manner, as his spell casting and movement is jerky and awkward at best. Part of the real horror of the homunculus is that, though it is under command from it's creator, it is heavily influenced by the strong passions and desires of it's prey. So an infected wizard will often destroy or kill everything and everyone he loves. If he has the misfortune of surviving his possession, he will 'awake' to a nightmare reality of his own creation.
    The Mana Prison is used commonly in folklore to rebuke children in age old wives tales, and parables.

Moving on... one week later..
    CHOW #81 - Arctic Undead
    It's time for LOWLOW to show us some guts. This one was a nice round. Other nice entries there...
    concept:
    The Vaktu comes from an ancient time when the shape of the earth's continents were unrecognizable to the ones of the present. In those days, Vaktu walked the earth as proud beast-gods, worshiped by the lost tribe of the Kazayan. After the great war, the face of the earth changed forever, and what used to be the holy land of the Kazayan were now the cold Northern Glaciers.
    The Vaktu belonged to a family of beasts that are now referred to as the "highest echelon of reanimation" in necromancy. Many necromancers train decades in order to raise these beast-gods from their slumber. Raising a Vaktu from the dead not only required years of training, but also demanded that the necromancer traveled to the ends of the earth, to summon them from their icy graves. Because of the high level of difficulty in summoning these beasts, many necromancers lose control of their creatures, leaving the Northern Glaciers full of Vaktu free to destroy anything in it's path.

here are some others
    Vegasmike
    MattDixon

And another week later we get to one of my favorite rounds.

COW #82 - CUPID'S PET

I have to give you the link to this as SO MANY GREAT PIECES are there.. it's hard not to be amazed.
    Cutness and wirdo heart breakers are available on the spot - just see this thread. Here is the winning image and some other gems:

MarcoMazzoni
    concept
    His sacrifice of sight was the greatest gift he could give humanity, for if he was not to see, then his arrows would fly without judgment.
    While the gesture was born of good intentions, the loss of targets resulted in couplings too bizare for discription. A Blue-Tipped Faryl by the name of Artemesia was summoned to confirm that Cupid's arrows did indeed reach human flesh. Loyalty to her master far exeeded this simple task however, as she provided not only a guide for his arrows but for his path as well. She became an extention of his will.

Stephan_R
    bluefooted
    ChuckMate
    Canibalcandy

Anyway... just go ahead and visit this thread - lots of goodies there

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=95753

Moving further...
    COW #84 - Under your bed!
    masque
    concept:
    From the field audio report of Det. Lt. Marsh Dillon, Veridianopolis P.D.:
    This is the last entry in the diary of Janey Holderman, age 7:
    I'm so hungry. And cold! I finished all my bedtime snacks yesterday. And I'm so thirsty!
    It started three days ago. Mom always told me if I didn't clean my room and kept throwing stuff under the bed, someday something would come alive under there. I didn't believe her. I thought she was kidding me. But she was right. Now Mom's dead. They ate her. They eat everything!
    I woke up and the first one was there, under my bed, pushing me up against the ceiling. I screamed. Daddy came running in. It ate him. Then Mom, too. Then little Joey. Then Fluffers. Then it threw up. It looked like one of Fluffers' hairballs, but it was another one. It puked up another one of what it is.
    They ate my gerbil, then my books, then my dolls. They even ate my Elmo puppet! And they keep eating and puking and eating and puking and eating and puking. But they always stay right under my bed!
    I'm so scared. What if the bed falls of
    Diary terminates. No clues to explain the mysterious destruction of the house, nor the disappearance of the Holderman family. The child must have been delirious. No sign of any unusual creatures, though I guess it wouldn't hurt to look one more time under the
    The disappearance of Det. Dillon brought this case to our attention. We have now determined that an entirely new magical species has been created out of the nightmares of an undiscovered but extremely powerful psychic child, who unfortunately seems to have been killed by the creatures. Apparently taking form from random items the child had stored under her bed, it is fortunate that the ravenous creatures are bound to the place of their invocation -- their escape would be catastrophic! Their life cycle is fairly typical (consumption of mundane items followed by regurgitative replication), with the exception that once all edibles are consumed, they do not expire. Instead, the dominant individual eats all other members of the species, then goes into a dormant state, resembling very closely a child's large stuffed animal, until a new food source appears.
    Some of our more alarmist adepts speculate that the child did not die, but instead found herself the master of the creatures, and was able to escape, perhaps even carrying one of the smaller things off with her. We are monitoring all paranormal and mundane media for any hint that this may be true.
    -- "Report on the Veridianopolis Incident," International Journal of Magical and Psychic Events, May 2007

And that's the last one on the bunch.
    Let's see the other activities and whatever else got new on the boards since my last update.
    great art is spilled here.

Last edited by Oblio; May 17th, 2007 at 06:33 AM.

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oblio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahh.. it's good to dig the threads.
    I feel like an Anteater ... wait - what is this? Stylized Animal Challenge?
    NO WAAAAAAAYYYY

aspenboy
    chuck,mate
    28thwing

and A LOT more great pieces HERE http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=96430

Moving on to the envir section. Seems like Chaos is doing a great job. The section is picking up and we go back to EOW #50 with few selections.

EOW #50 The Architects House
    The winner:
    yanimator

and runner up
    masque
    concept:
    She opened the door that would not open for the adults, stepped inside, and almost turned and ran back to the town. The strange and chilling expanse of the room drank the light, making it hard to see much, but she sensed the insanity of the place, and sensed also the regard of some evil presence. She wanted to run away, wanted very badly to run, but for the sake of her brother and the rest of the children, she knew she would not.

some other very good pics are waiting for you here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94447

Moving on to the next one we get more juicy art.
    EOW#51 The Sacred Grove of the Machinae
    atanderson
    concept
    I knew they had noticed me a while back but they were remaining passive for the time being, besides which I had come too far to care. All these years of searching, all this time, I was here.... no program could have been written to create this, it couldn't be the work of a machine, but it was. There was no other explanation, all the myths, all the fokelore; eliminated, forever.

Unfortunatelly EOW #52 did not had the success i was expecting. No pics from that battle will be here.

45. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oblio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahhh... nothing like milking the wireless in a god morning of a Parisian hotel - got some PM's from CA friends.

Let's see what's new in CA now.

Quote Originally Posted by chaosrocks
    hi friend
    we had a td
    MODERN COMPUTER WITCH
    this is the winning entry
    deadred

k thx
    chaos
    yeah baby - but where is the link?
    poor oblio to dig it up

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=97893

go and see what our Elwell was doing 10 years ago ! Kicking stuff!

moving further... in my PM's... i get...
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Oaksford

I want you to feature a sketchbook by a small kid named Listing. Look through the last 4 pages or so.

Holy crap, you will never see more unique work out of a teenager.
    i do love the dedication - go there for a great taste of self-portraits (yes i do have a weakness for the topic), gestures and master studies as well as... pigs and stuff
    Rock and roll!

and before i go... take a look at what carni' is serving us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
    achadobu's - brilliant multifigure pictures.
    Not very work safe ! But lovely
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...t=88846&page=3

Let me see if i can attach something more... quiet!
    Attachment 126337
    weak at heart? don't click this !
    Attachment 118364

that's it! see also the suggestion thread in the lounge. PM me for other finds!

I've been around great games those last days - i'm opening my eyes with a can of "Nectar" - see the HAZE game. Uh.. and my mug might come to your screen if you're looking for Blazing Angels2
    In few hours i'll fly back to romania and then tomorrow long drive to Nessebar (Bulgaria). I'll try to bring those CHOW winners here - as we had INCREDIBLE ROUNDS LATELY !
    YAYCA!!!

Last edited by chaosrocks; May 24th, 2007 at 02:01 PM.

47. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oblio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    after losing a plane in france - i skipped one other trip - so i fanve few hours to update this.
    let's go back to the CHOW grounds where we had some amazing rounds.

After the BlackQueen we had a tie into the Space Trucker scene. Here are the winners:

moving on.. it's time for Mr. Hyde to come up to the stage. And the winner for thir round:

It was time to pinch up the character zone. The next round was about:

DEATH HORSE:
    Here is the winner and some other entries that stood up.
    What a round. There is much more there - go visit.

NExT - Red RIDING HOOD - modern.
    Winner
    and selected entries
    Red hood is a mushroom dealer, she has to cross central park each day to sell her stuff, she wait her clients in the wolf wall, is for this reason that everybody knows Marieta Nilson as the red hood!

and some from the ladies

The next round: FALLEN VALKYRIE
    Winner
    Selected Entries
    with great painting steps HERE
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...postcount=1885

before i go - here is the last 3CH round!
    Thinking that i was there (in Paris) yesterday... oh boy
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosrocks
    3ch #35 A fast load of cabbages eats a ninja in France

Chuck,mate

eye witness:
    "my god they just came out of nowhere, man. god... they were fast. they swarm right into the city, and...and...
    they... god almighty... they ATE people. I`ve never seen anything like it. enormous, ugly cabbages. ate everyone.
    even that ninja statue old Jean-Paul had in front of his oriental antique store. dear mother of god... I`m still a little shaken, man. and they`re gone. GONE, I don`t know where, man. ho my god..."

Last edited by Oblio; May 26th, 2007 at 04:46 AM.

49. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oblio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    waiting for a render... time to update this

First - for the ones not lurking in the lounge - Jason and Yumiko are in a trip in China.
    Art and a good read here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=97699

Moving to the sculpt section here are some great threads.
    TUUUTOOOORIIALLS

Veteran Kent Kidwell gives birth!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...t=85578&page=2

The Dark Power is up to a big project:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=90581
    Editorial - The weekly good finds in the depths of CA.Editorial - The weekly good finds in the depths of CA.

ah.. gotta go = i'\ll update more later...

Last edited by Oblio; May 29th, 2007 at 11:32 AM.

51. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oblio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    quick update from the Master Copy Workshop thread
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...40#post1348640
    i need to do those too. see you in that thread - ok ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mauro View Post
    leyendecker studies from a while ago.

4 values, round brush.

and...

Quote Originally Posted by tcarlson View Post
    Some Sargent copies that I made at the Metropolitan museum

53. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oblio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiot Apathy View Post
    Post of Flynt's has a great tutorial and some great discussion as well.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99413

and indeed a great post

i thought to give you guys a look at MindCandyMan
    He started drawing/painting here on CA .. a bit after me - and now he's kicking my ass. I still wonder if i should have gonne full ime on that as he did.
    Anyway - he's an amazing little guy. See his journey

from THIS:

to THIS:

and something more from M@ - as the audience request
    Quote Originally Posted by m@. View Post

and the vid

a lot more HERE
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...75#post1337275

Last edited by Oblio; June 19th, 2007 at 05:13 AM.

55. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oblio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    today's update is to pay the respects to a great artist who inspired a lot of people here on CA.

Seems like the Angel Of Death felt in love with the artist.
    Glen Angus (GANGUS) has passed away. RIP.

You can see more of his art here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=79018

Attached Images Attached Images  

57. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oblio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Qitsune
    Hello Oblio,
    I found a rather awesome thread in the finally finished which I don't think is getting much recognition, prolly because it doesn't have a shiny thumbnail or screenshot. But it has very nice animation so I'd like to nominate it for the editorial:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102808

Thank you!

Chantal
    and she's right:

59. The Following User Says Thank You to Oblio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiot Apathy
    Hurroh Mr. Fantana - how the hell are you?
    Going to be in Shanghai for the workshop? I'm going to try my best to be there.

Anyhow, this thread in FF is pure pure genius in my opinion - they get better as you go along even

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=102584

i'm a long time fan... i'm really glad to see the Skelewags comming to CA... and getting some new images on. Hell... i'd paint my car with those little guys
    it surely is fresh meat for CA regulars. Check it out.

61. The Following User Says Thank You to Oblio For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4