Sketchbook: Joe Solo's Sketchbook of Solitude

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Joe Solo's Sketchbook of Solitude

NEW STUFF ON PAGE 5

Should be sketching, but I shall take this time to right down a few things before I retire to bed. I have returned from my journey to the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco. It was a four day life changing experience to say the least. I can honestly say that in four short days I have grown. I can’t say I knew what to expect. I really did not. But on day one I just put on my shoes, stepped outside and took my first steps down a long road heading toward greatness. I was able to meet Andrew Jones, Jason Manley, Tyco, and see some old friends, as well as make new ones. I must have shook hands with hundreds of people. My legs still hurt, I am still quite tired, but a new desire has taken over. And old ideals, and thoughts I had upon graduating high school have returned and grown themselves with a desire to say a fuck you to all those who say it is impossible for me to accomplish What I say I will. A new time has once again started and in my final approach to graduation I shall try my best not to do societies dance of mediocrity and to pave a pure path not based on fear, one based on wanting to grow even more and knowing that I can attain my goals as long as I stick to them and do not waver.

I am not new to concept art.org my old handle was vances22. Now based on age and all new things experienced I think It is time for a change. And that includes this new book. I don’t know how often I will post up this time around, but I appreciate all who Stop by and leave me feed back. This time there is no more messin around.

the old book: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...t=55266&page=4

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JoeSolo; November 1st, 2007 at 10:15 PM. Reason: updates
    Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is some of the sketching I have been doing on my spare time and what not. A few studies and doodles. It's been an eventful couple of weeks. School quarter is finally over. I did alright, and I just got a job concepting buildings and things for the metaverse(thats what they call it) second life! So I am very excited. Its my first contract gig. Comments and Crits always welcome.

Last edited by JoeSolo; April 21st, 2007 at 12:05 AM.
    Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Happy mankeymankeymankeymankeymankey. My car got egged, as well as did the rest of the block, so though I had to wash mine and my parents cars. I got some art done today. I shall scan some later, in the mean time here is a nose paint study. I have a book about traditional painting that was left to me in a will and I am trying to apply its process' digitaly so here is a nose study.

Last edited by JoeSolo; July 19th, 2009 at 05:41 PM.
    Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that looks good cept the hiighlights are 1 to many, hold out on highlights for the best effect... lookin strong, but im drawing, so ill have to in depth crit later, stop by my book and take alook, id appreciate that as well!... i will be bak here tho, thats a promise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    welp got home in time to do some paintin. Another nose study from that book, and I also got rid of the highlights that were not working as per someones crit Also started a still life of some objects on my desk, the sun is setting now so the light is changing a bit too much so I shall work with it more tomorrow. Anyway comments and critiques always welcome and wanted.

Burning Eyes: Hey man cool, yea for sure come back and give me your in depth thoughts. I shall be visiting and critin your book as well. Thanks for the highlights tip I was trying something and it obviously did not work lol.

Last edited by JoeSolo; July 19th, 2009 at 05:42 PM.
    Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HEy everyone,
    Here is an update of the environment. I am fixing the perspective and just messing with some color. I am doing some pencil designs of everything before I commit anything and start rendering. So this is an iteration/test more or less. Comments and crits always welcome.

Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A cowboy. ABout 30 minutes of paintin.

Last edited by JoeSolo; July 19th, 2009 at 05:42 PM.
    Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice color choices in this thing so far it's got harmony, the planes of his face are being adressed very nicely also. I'd say either crop him at the thighs or put him on the ground a.s.a.p. cuz you might have to change the hips and gesture to set him on the ground nicely, and I don't know about the background, squares are strong geometric shapes and I think they're fighting for attention.

looking good so far just my $00.02

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welp you guessed it, another nose. haha. Anyhoo this one was done in painter. I am obviously Quite rusty with the program. I must be re-aquainted with it. So a nose painted rather quick in painter. Comments and Crits always welcom and wanted.

Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first of quite a few characters I am doing for a mod. He is a bank robber, part of a team. And he has an uzi....DANGEROUS!!! haha. And I drew an uzi in a few different angles to get the feel of it and because I never really draw weapons.

Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find the studies the most interesting pieces. You seem more confident in your abilites (or more relaxed) when using a reference. These pics are alot bolder and more defined than the rest.

Good start to a SB btw.

my sketches here... http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92997

www.sevans.co.nz , visit them or a puppy dies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sevans - Thanks man. I am overcoming that problem. The fear is slowly leaving. I see your crit for sure. Need to get the same kind of quality across everything. Thanks for the compliment and for stoppin by

Jonny 5 - Yeah I can agree with most of that. I think I am going to try and make the squares work haha. I know they are not at the moment and I completely Agree that they are competing for attention.

Forewards

I originally was not going to post this. When I was finished with it, the piece was a bit too personal. But I figured what the hell Everything, the bad, the good, and the ugly goes in the sketchbook....sometimes even the kitchen sink! So here is an abstract piece done in painter. It represents impatience and being enveloped by it. The buildings surround the beacon of light and reason that wants to escape to freedom but is trapped. Though lights everywhere are reminders of hope that indeed this little ball of light shall escape.

Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Generally I don't care for a lot of abstract stuff, but I really like that last piece. Very nice!

Warrior Style

The first rule of Warrior Style is, You do not stop drawing.
    The second rule of Warrior Style is, You DO NOT stop drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Act.Appalled - Always nice to strike a chord

Welp here is a quicky of an un-findable scissors I had to invent for my interface class.

Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MY COW WIP

a demon gorilla

Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, like your studies you should check up on hands and parts of the body you feel unsecure of. Keep doodling!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wasker - Thanks for the crits man. I like how you hinted at the fact hands don't seem to be the best thing I do hehe. I shall continue y studies and start including more hands.

Here is an update of my COW WIP, Went straight for color, no black and white. It isn't seomthing I normally do, so I thought it would be a good challenge. This piece is being done in Painter.

Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another Update of my COW. This has been quite a learning experiance with painter and I like that. Anyway, Here is also the Final painter sketch that I painted on top of

Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd love to see you do another hour on the cowboy painting from a little while back...it looks like you had such a good start, would like to see it progress to the next step.

Agreed on the highlights on the nose study - that one was looking really shiney. I too have a tendency to go in there and pull up the highlights, because that's one of the fun things to do - it really feels like you're painting, and it's easy to go overboard, not realizing that a little usually goes a very long way...

Keep up the good work!

www.costumesketch.com
    I looked at yours, now you look at mine...sketchbook here

"The doctor said I wouldn't have so many nosebleeds if I kept my finger outta there." - Ralph Wiggum

"Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

"Ordinary morality is only for ordinary people." - Aleister Crowley

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Madhatter - Thanks man. It is sooo easy to get carried away with highlights! I think i shall spend more time with the cowboy. With what I have learned painting the creature this week I think it shall get a lot stronger. My buddy jonny 5 has been asking me to paint that thing for a month. So since there seems to be a small demand I think I shall lol.

Another itteration of my C.O.W. this week. I am really enjoying this. I am constantly learning from this piece

Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some Bridgeman studies amongst other things. Crits and comments always welcome.

Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone here are some environment building thumbs for a job I am workin on. I can't post any finals, but I don't see the harm in posting the thumbnails and nonsense looking stuff. hehehehe.

Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I cannot really give a descent critique on the thumbnails, because I think they are an amazing start to some great environments. Good work, keep it up!

Last edited by porcelinedoll; April 17th, 2007 at 07:19 PM.
    M.A.C.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    porcelinedoll - Thanks babeh. It is kinda hard to judge a silhouette, but thank ya. Hopefully it turns out alright!

Another update of my creature of the week. Still trying to push on through. Having some problems trying to render the hands. (not all that good with hands actually).

Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am sure you are all tired of seeing me post its wips. It has been a journey. The first comp I have done in about 6 months. comments and crits always welcome. The c.o.w. # 63 final....

Description – I envisioned cupids pet at first fuzzy and nice, much like everyone else did. But cupid is kind of a nice guy too. So I went with this demon gorilla thing. Why? Well I feel cupid needed something that contrasted him. Something that could protect him. And something to straighten out anyone who did not fall in love from cupids arrow. You see from time to time people defy cupid, and as such his pet has to come in and either eat their soul (hence the green ethrall mucus coming from his mouth) or scare them into following orders. Because cupid knows that if people do not fall in love from his arrow, his credibility amongst other mythical beings is gone. Think of the chains like his leash. Cause I am sure you would not want cupids pet chasing your car down the street

Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    POst before I leave class and head to the almighty doctor!

Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep it up man, improvement seen, those anatomy studies is good work, keep them up at a good pace, and youll be kickin ass, as long as u implement it in your work, even if u have to reference back... ok gonna take my own advice now, and goin to draw !!! stop by my new book sometime, this by the way is burning eyes_ new handle now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    trying to take a break from .org for awhile and concentrate on my work. But i figured I would throw this up. A wip of a model I am working on.

Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welp, finally some characters. Gonna throw them into painter and do soemthing with them now, get some ortho's going and clear up some issues. For a first run of these guys I don't think they came out too shabby. Here are the silhouettes as well that led to the orc thing. Did a lot of them in watercolor. And there is a page of thumbs for the boy.

Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeaaaaaa motherf***er!!!
    those couple character are looking mighty fine.
    I almost want to try and model the ogre character!!

Good work man

Warrior Style

The first rule of Warrior Style is, You do not stop drawing.
    The second rule of Warrior Style is, You DO NOT stop drawing.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.