Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    solid stuff Joe. You draw a hell of a lot more than I do. I'll be checking back often. Remember...'Suck is not a style.'

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    factorZero - I will always remember that. And drgaon 2.0 is not a concept, you remember that hehe. Dude I just do what I can, I think that is what all of us on here do. Its not how much you do it, but how much you learn from. Thanks for stoppin by.

With that said here is my c.h.o.w. W.I.P. for number 72. Still roughing it in for the moment. Started it during class hehe. Going to try and finish.
    Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    Here is the head of a brush model I have been working on, as well as a steer skull. They shall be used as normal maps.
    Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    Here is an updated w.i.p of my scavenger for chow!
    Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    all the 3d stuff is very solid, I'm glad your learning all the inns and outs of 3d because one day when I finally sit down and do a 3d portfolio I shall have 5000 questions for you.

I think that your finished paintings could benefit from more contrast - not contrast in the sense of light vs. shadow but contrast in the sense of cool vs. warm, hard edges vs. soft edges, saturated areas vs. desaturated areas etc. etc. whether these battles take place between the background and the subject or within the subject itself doesn't matter just try to cram them in there somewhere. For example all the edges on the gorilla and the chains are quite hard and it sorta flattens out the piece. kudos for choosing a hard pose Burne Hogarth would be proud haha.

the feet on the cow skull guy bug me a little. It's not really the anatomy it's just the overall shape of the boot, they look bulbus in the front and it kind of makes them look cartoony maybe a more snowboarding boot type shape would resolve this. anyway that's just me being nit picky - all the stuff in here is solid and shows progress, and I hope this wasn't to long of a critique.

oh and that chow is looking very cool

Thanks
    Jonny 5 - Thanks for the crits. The boots I am going from the concept, So i think i shall keep them that way, at the end I might re-consider, but for now I think I will keep them the way they are, I shall keep that in mind though. I agree with your paint crits. Its like gesture drawing you ahve to have balance of hard and soft, straights and curves. I need to apply these more to my paintings. Not too long at all man, and feel free to pick my brain. I always like in depth crits.

Chow update. I don't know if I am going to be able to finish, this has moved from a weekly to something I actually want to pursue. So it will get done, but I don't know if I want to rush it.
    Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    Here be 2 paintins arrgggg

haha going to finish up the scavenger concept. I really want to take it into 3D, nd other people want me too as well, So i need to finish it up and do an ortho, so here is an update of that

Here also is this weeks chow. Still working out the kinks

I know that the industry is almost all photoshop, but painter and I get along so well. My updates and fixes to these two pieces have been done in painter. Ijust feel I am stronger in it, so I think I shall stick with it....
    Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    some thumbs of the environment of the week i am working on, hopefully I can finish, but I doubt it...did these in class.
    Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    This was my c.h.o.w. final for the sould collector, it was sci fi, i was thing arm gun that sucked up souls into a backpack unit. No poll this time, but if we ever get a topic maybe next time!

and a note to self, I need to start finishing stuff!
    Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    About to get to the homework and let the demo reel stuff sit for a bit, here is an update of my zbrush sculpt that will be baked for a normal map, and some normal map renders. These are all tests, the u.v.’s were done in a few minutes and the color map was painted with just a brush with noise, just to see if everything is working, and to see what else I need to do.
    Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    one last update before bed time. tried to squeeze this in between homework. but i got a w.i.p going for e.o.w. I just had to produce something soley for me or I was going to go nuts.
    Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    kick ass thumbnails you got going on man.
    what kinda marker are you using if you dont mind me asking?

also, your 3d work is great. that head is turning out nicely

Thanks
    Your thumb nails kick ass, Great job amigo, if there was any critique I wouls say work on your digital painting skillz. Other than that, great sketch book!

Thanks
    nice stuff, i liked that abstract piece because it's not meant to be anything in particular but you can see different aspects of things (correct me if i'm wrong, but thats why i like it) great stuff.

GrundybuG

Thanks
    Looking good on the floating bazaar so far. redefine your focus in it. You've lost a lot of what the design was from the original thumb. Good luck with it.

Thanks
    the environment look really cool. very moody. I'd like to see you step up the detail in it more. Also: the 3d character model look good. Do you plan on adding more to his outfit? The mask is interesting but the rest of his clothes look really boring in comparison. Making his clothes flow more with the design of his mask would improve the character more, imo. Keep up the good stuff.

Thanks
    Here is a classtime doodle, chick witha gun and some grenades. Always a classic.

dkounios - cheers man. If you mean overall, I use copic markers for my marker stuff. The Environment thumbnails were done in photoshop, some of the silhouettes were done in water color and Copic marker, others were photoshop or painter

jay_gunz - i conquer, I do need to improve the paint skills, I think I need to also start finishing more stuff. I think that would help, thanks for the crits man

grundybug - Yeah man, it's all totally random stuff. Everyone sees a little golden monkey though hehe. Can you see it?

Beelow - Thanks for stopping by man, I was thinking the same thing when I posted the wip, A lot of the intensity was leaving, I actually started it over once you said something, cause that means probably a lot of other people are noticing it too. Will post a new w.i.p. soon.

factorzero - In refferance to the model the clothing that is in the zbrush pass are like his base clothes. On top of that is a lot of cloth pieces, which all have to be brushed seperatly and that why they are not attatched to the model now, because I have to do lpha cards and all kinds of things when I texture it. I will post a version up soon with all the pieces in place so you can get a better look. You going to sketchgroup this week?
    Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    Here is an update of my smog thrower. I am on a mission to finish it.....comments and crits welcome. I think right now my values on everything are a little too close.
    Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    Here is 2 , count them 2 characters I am working on. Took the smog thrower back to formula lol. Got way to caught up in other aspects of it, other than the ones I should be concerned with. I am likeing it a lot more now. No worries though, both of these guys will be done.
    Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks

hey

sup joe, found your aborted treasure chest, we should paint sometime. if you have time over vacation, a group of us are going to try and meet a few times to practice and learn off eachother. you in?

Thanks
    I am no concept artist, but sometimes it seems you get better over night. I rarely get to see the progress of a piece that you work on everyday, but your environment and the chow character look great. And it seems as if they really came together overnight. Nevertheless, good jaerb!
    M.A.C.

Thanks
    here is a w.i.p. for my c.h.o.w. # 77

1.15.19 Update: Joe Solo's Sketchbook of Solitude
    1.15.19 Update: Joe Solo's Sketchbook of Solitude
    Last edited by JoeSolo; June 20th, 2007 at 03:39 AM.
    Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks

hey

how you doing joe? a few of us, (me, meo, nino, and teddy) might be meeting up this monday at school to sketch or cg. id like for you to go if you are interested, =)

btw i think you should try to go for more variations in shapes and forms, but keep that balance you have in most of your work. also perhaps adding more different materials to characters, like cloth, leather, rocks. and im a big fan of slightly detached or hovering equipment. anyways keep it up!

Thanks
    darkartist3 - Hey man, sounds good. I have my weekly sketchgroup that night, and you all are welcomed to attend. I agree with your advice. I think it would help add a good mix of things to my work

porcelinedoll -
    Thanks babe, I just have to keep pushing

And here we go a w.i.p. I have been working on. DN if I can finish the th chow, been busy working on the portfolio. I will post some of the life drawing stuff from wednesdays session tomorrow, to lazy to scan it right now haha.
    Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    nice drawings and paintings, i also like the 3d model.
    keep it up!

Thanks
    designboot - thanks for the motivating words man. I shall keep pushing.

With the advice of many i started the armored paladin guy over haha. I have many many crits on it, so I aborted it and started again. This one is comign along much better. I started this one by doing the whole anatomical pose first then built on top of it.
    Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    some nice armor designs here.
    Concepts and Cartography by Jared Blando

My professional Website:
    www.theredepic.com

Conceptual stream here on Conceptart:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=240160

Sketchbook here on Conceptart:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...64#post3437064

Thanks
    Stormcrow135 - Thanks! I checked out your site, you would be the authority on armor it think.

Well here is a w.i.p of the restarted paladin......gotta....finish....haha comments and crits always welcome
    Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    Here is another update of my paladin guy. He is coming along. I seriously have meant to scan some stuff, I just need to do it! haha
    Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    Nice SB going here... really like whats happening...

Nice thumbnails, they look really nice...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast