Sketchbook: progress of a procrastinator

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

progress of a procrastinator

ello! well i decided to start a sketchbook! and that's kinda obvious i suppose..well im hoping this will keep me in touch with my inner artist i'll just start off by posting some folio things and sketches i did when i was bored..remember kids, more to come !
    (m'escuze for the VERY bad quality of these...i promise to get a scanner sometime soon)

this be Hector ! he be whistlin'!
    my hand (string for yo-yo)

ahh im too lazy now but i'll upload my other sexy sketches soon

C&C always welcome

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

March 12, 2007

A painting of Ron still in progress as you can tell!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    photos of a life drawing Brenda is having us make =P im happy that it actually looks like the model..alot i should say, looking at all the times i never drew the face

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So far this is a drawing, not a painting. Your major problem is that, like most beginners you've underestimated the pelvis - your drawing is off! Take another look. If it's too late to make another start, keep this in mind for next time. Second: every time you work, composition comes first. Every piece of work we do exists on an abstract basis. As representational artists, our work also has to "make it" on many other levels, but without a good composition the best painted apple, or head, or fantasy creature is worthless. Next time think about the whole page. Your "design" should work even if you hold your painting upside down! If you are working in line, the quality of the lines becomes one of the compositional forces. If you add values, then there is a passage of light, a passage of middle tones, and a passage of dark through the work and the movement of these values becomes part of the composition.

Your page doesn't look as if you thought about these things when you were doing thumb nails and thinking about composition....You need to develop "page sensitivity," that is start "feeling" the page before you begin working. Even in your sketchbook you need to feel how what you are about to draw will sit on the page, how the shapes you are creating around it will work with it. When you study the work of great artists, think how they are using the page. You are at the beginning and there is always a great deal to learn. I hope this encourages you.

PS Say hello to Brenda from Maxine (Max the Mutt Animation School, Toronto).

Last edited by Maxine Schacker; March 17th, 2007 at 11:26 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.