A new start, please critique
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: A new start, please critique

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A new start, please critique

Heya, i'm new to ConceptArt, and though i don't think my work could even come close to rivaling most of the work on here, i'm still desperately craving the input I need to improve.

I'm trying to work in a more angular drawing style into my art, hopefully it adds an edge to it and doesn't just make it look akward.

Anyhow. I'm looking for some help on this image. It will be colored in marker. In particular i'm conserned with weight distribution (as the character is supposed to have fallen asleep slumped against the table.), the swords (I know.. they look like toys, but how can i make them realistic but still distinctly different?), the perspective on the table and 'chair' (only drew in the boxy forms without detail because i realise they need a lot of work in angles and positioning before i can finish them).

Also i'm looking for suggestions on the final layout of the page, ideas for background details, and coloring advice.

Of course any and all critique is appreciated. THe character is based on my WOW character, but i do want to eventually change her design to remain in the fantasy D&D type universe, without being so strongly suggestive of the MMORPG.

redlines, especially with the perspective of the furniture, are very appreciated.

oh yeah, ignore the stupid smiling face in the corner... that was done mostly to entertain me.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    look carefully at the straight line between his shoulders (they seem unbalanced), and the length of his thigh. Also, the feet appear a bit small, so think about them in relation to the size of his head.

A "from life" figure drawing would really help here, so see if you can ask a friend to pose in the same position, and have a careful look at the proportions.

It's a nice pose however - keep it up, and keep practising!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice to meet a fellow beginner,

I think the table is a bit too high, and the arms seem to differ in size a little. It’s a nice base sketch though.

I do look forward to seeing the finished product, good luck with it!

-The Gekko

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The arm on the table is much bigger than the arm hanging down. Both in width and length. The dagger dangling in her hand is just weird looking. Dont have the handle angled and the blade being curvey. Pick one and if you really want them both to be angled then dont have the handle bent to the side, that doesnt make any sense.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    anatomy anatomy anatomy. as was mentioned, tha arms are 2 different lengths and widths. she/he also doesnt have much of a torso and extremely long thighs. the shoulder is also too small.

the best advice for this is to do what Meddling Kid suggested and get a friend to pose in this manne, then draw it at keast twice to make sue you get all the details. just remember to start generally then get specific to cover al details. dont get caught up in costumes and swords until you have properly drawn the subject. and keep practicing. - JAG

it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    redrawing it with reference it is. I had drawn the image while I myself was in the pose, hoping i could judge by my own positioning, but actually seeing another humane being in the pose is alwayse best it would seem. I'll have a couple new sketches up and ready for critique by tomarow night if all goes well, sans clothing and swords.

Thanks to all for the critique.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.