Sketchbook: Cartoons, pixels and fluffy things! - 23 Sep update

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cartoons, pixels and fluffy things! - 23 Sep update

I have been lax recently on actually showing my work to people and getting feedback, so hopefully this will really help. All I want to do is improve and see some progression. I do an animation degree and I'll be finishing that soon. I want to get back my passion for creating art and fun illustrations as a hobby though, as animating just seems like too much at times, here goes.

Any feedback appreciated and welcomed ^_^ I'll try my best to reply to everyone.

All these are from the past 2 weeks.

I used to stay away from drawing from photographs as I thought it bypassed most of the creative process. However, it fills up big gaps in my knowledge of form, light, muscles, etc, so now I use ref photos quite a bit.

None of these are particuarly finished. The first three just doodles in Painter. The other 3, pixel drawings using Photoshop. Strangely enough Painting helps pixel arting quite a bit. Well the last one is from a photo of me, but I realised I picked a bad photo - no smile and hamster cheeks ( ^_^ )
    One of the good things about pixel art is it's easy to convert imagery to their basest forms... but this I haven't really done much of. Something else to work on.

SHare your thoughts. x

Attached Images Attached Images            
    Last edited by alenacat; September 23rd, 2007 at 01:12 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The lowered light source on that second one is a tricky thing to try. You did it fairly well. But her chin is awfully big and square.
    Keep 'em coming.

Gilead Artist on Facebook and Twitter
    website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gilead - thanks for your reply. Does look quite awkward, and there is no real change of tone there, even with the equally awkward hat-thing. And her chin is the same size as her knee !

The Painter work is one thing, but with the pixels it's even more important to get a good lightsource going, one thing I'll practice more... any advice appreciated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The lighting on the first girl looks cool to me - but lighting and anatomy are my 2 biggest problems.

Cool pixel art - do you have any more? I would like to have a shot at it some time. The pixelart of the girls face is cool - you got all the main features down but the girl in the photo is way hotter then the pixel version.

Keep up the good work

Adam.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks ATAnderson!

Here's another pixel art icon I did last night and a giant dog walkcycle which is the piece of PA I've done I'm most proud of.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats cool ^^ The walking dog looks a little thin around the chest area though, meaning you can see the ribcage, but maybe thats how you wanted it to look?

Note to self: START DRAWING FROM LIFE!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ello ello
    you started a new one, I well impressed by the painter work i cant use painter to save my life especially the artists oils.

The pixel stuffs looking really good too, keep posting.

Poland //Where bears walk down the street
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The walking dog is great and nice walk cycle but the tail is not moving
    cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmm so cute u made me try some pixel art 2 very intereseting
    keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The icon of the walking dog is simply amazing! I have no idea how you can get so much out of a couple or three pixels! Bravo!

(Thanks for coming to look at my sketchbook by the way. )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your pixel works are nice!! I'd love to see some more paintings too, keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Alena's work - 16 March 07 - Pixels & pretties

JtO: Yeah, I wanted it to be kinda like a camel. It was for a game and they were ferocious downtrodden dogs, but myseriously could be friendly to their masters.
    I don't think the game will get off the ground though.
    Adam: Yey, go artists oils ^_^ and a thankyou. I can only ever peek at your sketchbook when I'm in uni. This connection it takes hours >_< but the stuff you do amazes me.
    mrpank: doh! I suppose the tail should be flicking left and right?
    radu.andrew: I hope you do! it's a fabulous transformation
    nervetonic: Being subtle with the small pixelwork really helps see the detail in larger works... Thankyou for visiting back!
    drunknmunky: cheers I will do !

I was watching House M.D and made these. Although I'm not too happy. I might make a whole set of the characters.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is painted from a screengrab from Hyperdrive

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool stuff here !!
    post more i want to see more !

good day everyone ! enjoy your life

sean's sketch book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your pixel art is pretty cool, I've tried that a bit before and its really tough, so congrats. I like the design on the dog, but the animation could use a bit of overlap. Try offsetting the head and the tail (I know you don't have many frames but give it a try), I think it will help a lot in making him look less stiff (the head should hit its downmost point a frame or 2 after the chest does). Lets see some work, keep posting.

My Sketchbook

-Anthony

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love your colors, specifically on the girl stretching, but your form is kinda wonker and your anatomy is holding these images back. perhaps making "tick" marks where you plan joints to be and then measuring them out to verify they are correct would help this. Speed painting photo ref will help you out allot too. Keep up your studies, Im curious to see how your sketchbook will look in a year

Edit: on the speed paints try to keep it to around 10 min to get it as realistic as possible then stop there. this teaches you whats most important to lay down. also, the human face is oily, so there will be bright spots on the bottom lip corners, the chin, the lip of the bottom eyelid, and the inside under sweep of the eye. the darkest spots are the notch right above the lip corners where the cheek starts, and the two insides between the nose and the eyes. the only place where there will be pure white is the eye highlights, and the tip of the nose, keep these parts to 1-3 pixels max over the colored highlights. these things are key to any good portrait.

Last edited by Raptor; March 29th, 2007 at 11:19 AM.
    Visit my Portfolio

My Book Illustrations : A Children's book in progress that follows a young Raptor. Take a look, let me know what you think.

Inkblot Robots daily rampage!

~la bonne nuit ma colombe, Oui?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love this site and the feedback!! more useful than any of got in schooling. cheers !

What Raptor said really gave me some things to think about. I think with my Painter stuff I've essentially missed the sketch stage... I am not sure why I do this.

I am doing an animation course right now and sometimes my lack of anatomy knowledge/planning lets me down. I was a self-taught artist for many years and have been told that my style is wonky.

I will work on anatomy for a bit, and plan the figures a lot better.

Last edited by alenacat; March 29th, 2007 at 10:15 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You might want to participate in the Anatomy group thread under Fine Arts to practice your proportions... but continue your personal work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This sketchbook has lots of potential. I hope you keep updating often. The boy on the turtle look really good. keep working on proportions/anatomy/ect. Even though it's not fun, you begin to realise how much it helps very quickly. Keep sketching!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice head drawing
    interesting facial expression
    you can draw thing bigger than you can draw more detail .
    keep drawing

good day everyone ! enjoy your life

sean's sketch book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Speedpaints here with painter, trying to go for accuracy of muscle placement with linework as tight as possible. About an hour.

Last edited by alenacat; April 2nd, 2007 at 07:11 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These look good. Did you use reference?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I think that working on anatomy is a really good idea, it'll help clear up some inconsistencies in your paintings. The hardest thing for me to understand in drawing for animation was actually the gesture, so try working on getting a nice flowing line of action in your work too. Then build up on top of it with basic cylinders and cubes (I'm sure you've heard that a hundred times before at school ) If you don't already have it, pick up a copy of the Vilppu Drawing Manual, the bible for animation based figure drawing so far as I'm concerned. Some of your line studies above are looking good, I'd recommend keeping up with those for a while and maybe holding off on color for a bit. If you do really want to render it though, try to pull the brush around the form, so it really feels solid and 3 dimensional.
    Hmm, thats a little longer than I usually post.. too much info?
    Keep posting, theres progress already.

My Sketchbook

-Anthony

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks AvatarJimmy. I will look that book up definitely! expect a lot of gestural drawing here soon!

Where I study animation, we all are in a cramped basement. People act out the funniest poses. The other week I kept letting my hand slap against the lightbox. No odd looks here. So I will prance around, get some actions going and photograph them in time release for practice.

FactorZero: yes I used reference, lazy me!

The second one here, I want to make a pixel rendition of my house, so I did a couple of studies of some model houses my family have, concentrating on form and value.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey. For the rabbit two posts ago, make sure that the impression of fur that you put in follows the contours and volume of the rabbit. Right now they are following straight horizontal lines and that's really flattening out the shape of it. The quality of your most recent post is a little blurry... Hurray for anatomy studies, you've got some really nice lights and darks going on. The first two don't really look like you are really "seeing" what you are drawing and are instead drawing what you think you are seeing. The bottom images are really too blurry to comment on. Keep drawing, and do alot of anatomy studies, they really help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That skull on the right is really nicely rendered. On the other faces, listen to bluefruitbowl. Don't think about what you are drawing, instead focus on the shapes that make up the form and just draw them. Ever read the book 'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain?' I had a chance to read a bit of it at the bookstore. anyways the book says you need to clear you mind of 'symbols.' 'Symbols' are what is already in you head, what you know. Don't draw a face like you know a face is supposed to look, draw what you see, what is actually there in front of you. Drawing is seeing. Sorry for the rant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those pictures aren't accurate as they were from a CSI book, a computer simulation that renders faces. However it doesn't do it accurately and realistic. I should have mentioned this.

bfb: Good thinking with the fur contours, it crossed my mind but then I thought "screw this maybe I'll come up with something symbolic/comic styled" but hey it didn't work. Expect some jackalope Ester-themed pics though

FZ: I actually have that book! mm yep, and a lot of the exercizes in it I then did again on my current degree. Its a nice way to get a new look at what you see everyday, to draw it upside-down or left-handed or suchlike.

No art today I'm afraid, been putting all my creativity into cooking, but maybe some later.

Edit: Here's a mock-up piece of an animation I'm working on.
    It is about a cat who has a flea

Cartoons, pixels and fluffy things! - 23 Sep update

Before anybody complains about the perspective being unrealistic, it is meant to be skewed. ALthough I want to get more of a fish-eye dynamic effect than erronous.

Last edited by alenacat; April 7th, 2007 at 02:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really intresting stuff but i think you should do more studies (maybe anatomy)when you find time in your scheduel. this should help with your animation too.

good luck with your degree.

'Education is our passport to the future,
    for the future belongs to the people who prepare for it today.'
    Malcom X

God is love.

Sketchbook

BLOG

Looking for work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Alena's Sometimes Daily SB - 19 April update(sketches)

The router reguarly needs resetting in my household and the person who's room the router is in was away, so apoligies to my SSG for lack of updates.

Found out recently that I have been approved for some Inspiration sessions held my channel 4 in Birmingham, that include talking about my work for 2 minutes in front of other creatives. Also some folks from Aardman (animator of Angry kid) and Eboy (pixel artists who did work for coke) will be there so I'm naturally hyped for that, but kinda stressed at uni stuff. It gets a bit directionless at times (my fault)

Last weekend involved sitting with the patio doors of my room open in the sun drawing, fantastic.

First one here - bg environment for my Catflea animation. Some other anatomy studies.

Can anyone reccomend me a program for balancing my monitors colour profiles. Everything looks lighter than on other machines.

Last edited by alenacat; April 19th, 2007 at 12:18 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I doodled while watching a dvd today, the characters of Black Books

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.