monster concept

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: monster concept

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

monster concept

Here is a monster I am doing in photoshop. I am very new to photoshop so any advice is appreciated. One thing I am struggling with is I have too much of an airbrush effect over everything, but if I use harder brushes the overlap lines that are created are not appealing. Most of what I have done is only used differen opacity settings and different hardness settings. I like the scales I have done, but they don't quite get rid of all the smoothed out surfaces and make it look real. Also if somebody could point me in the right direction for a tutorial on doing grass and landscape work that would be very helpful. These are just a couple of shots of work along the way. By the way I sketched this out in photoshop as well.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is that a texture/brush that you used for the skin? If it is be sure to remove some of it here and there. Even if its not, the key to texture is recognizing where its going to show up the most. Of course in highly lit areas its going to show up more but underneath a leg or arm where its shadowy it wont show up much at all. I think part of the problem here is that your values are a little too bright. You dont have any really dark shadows or even anything I would consider a shadow, this makes it look flat. It also helps if youre not working on a blindingly white background, youve got nothing to compare to so of course very light shadows are going to look dark next to that very pure white. Throw a little value on there. It doesnt have to be super dark, just the same value as your midtone. Then you can work out of it. Itll help, trust me. Looks pretty good thus far but rework the values a bit and itll be even better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks Nexus, it is not a texture brush I did everything in this picture with a normal brush because I don't know much about photoshop yet. You are right about the scales I think I was liked how they looked so I just put them strong everywhere (I should know better than that). I will follow your advice and put a background color and then put real shadows in. On a side note do you always start your pictures with a background from the beginning, or do you add it in sometime into the picture? Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, it depends. If this is just an image for a character/enemy design then a real background isnt really necessary. It can just be some texture brushes or a single color or just grey. Whatever suits your fancy. But I do start with a background of some kind even if its just a neutral grey midtone. That white background is just hard to work on and skews your values. Just try starting off with whatever value youre going to use for the midtone of the creature and then work the shadows and then the highlights. Ive found that order works best. If you put the highlights in first then your shadows are always going to look too dark to you when you put them in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is my progress report. I followed some suggestions and played around a little bit more. I like it better now but still am not quite happy with it. please give any crits you have. Thanks

Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.