the joys of misperportion
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: the joys of misperportion

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

the joys of misperportion

alrighty!!! I am arguing with a current piece I'm working on...
    I'm having troubles with PROportion (excuse the primary misspelling), as you can probably see. I've changed the arm size several times, I know I need to make it longer (and the hand needs to be bigger) but I feel the head would still just feel like it's floating. do I need a different view? mayhap I need to see a small portion of his back?
    Also, how could I better the composition. I'm thinking of moving him further up and left on the paper and extending (HIS) left arm to make it flow together a bit better.
    Any help or suggestions whatsoever will be much appreciated!
    (I'll be changing the face... I sketched this without reference and it ended up looking like a friend of mine...slightly creepy.)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by PeteStewart; March 14th, 2007 at 10:02 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eyes are nice and I also like that hair somehow.

Draw also those parts behind the arm. Just lightly for you to check if everything is in the right place. Hand is too small. Arm is bit weird and chest muscles moves and tightens if arm goes like that.

Keep working and you get there

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    After a couple minutes trying that position out in the mirror (I bet I won't be the only one)... The shoulder and the ribs are out of place, and he has no neck, or a really short one rather.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    PROportion.

Hazart's advice about drawing through the forms is excellent. You have to understand what's going on with the relationship of the body parts, even those parts that you can't see. Right his head is huge, there's no room for a neck, and the angle and size of that arm make it look like it's coming from a totally different body.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If there were two wordes that I would ask you to remember from this, it would be "Draw through". By drawing through you are drawing the structure and not just 'what it looks like'. You're drawing the 3d image in your mind and not the 2d one.

Here is a quick paintover...I used your head as the unit of measurement. Generally...one head below the head comes to the nipples(roughly) so I drew them in that area and guessed the angle of the chest. Draw the large forms first and build the smaller ones off of it. So the arms were drawn last.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    [][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much for the tips, friends.
    And for the paintover, Ian. much appreciated.

I redrew the base drawing (aye the hands are both still too small...the head still feels large...the elbow looks odd too, its pointing the wrong way. will try to fix that.)... now I'm working on values and colour with watercolour. Great fun. (problems, i know...i'm workin on them.)

Again with more questions. I've sketched in my background idea, i'd like him to be on a beach with a city in the bg that directs the eye to him without demanding too much attention... thinking about using conte crayon with a blue ink wash to highlight spots in the water. (wet/dry mixed media study.)

anyway, here's where I am at. (hmmm...i've had a thought...should this be moved to WIP?)

Last edited by PeteStewart; March 15th, 2007 at 02:00 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.