VOTING!! Teen Challenge #25

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favorite entry !

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • invinciblewombat

0 0%
  • j a k e

2 5.13%
  • Evil_Sloth

13 33.33%
  • yungks.ae

2 5.13%
  • asoir

1 2.56%
  • mc2mc2

1 2.56%
  • paperX

0 0%
  • v0rbiss

2 5.13%
  • Narmo

3 7.69%
  • Cordy

1 2.56%
  • Q-Caddlewick

0 0%
  • Cup of Joe

1 2.56%
  • sketcheth

13 33.33%
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

just to keep the challenge moving on, I made the poll for this time, hope no one mind.
    The topic was "The Wanderer." Vote for your favorite, and take 1 minute to explain why !

invinciblewombat

j a k e

Evil_Sloth
    bonus: details: VOTING!! Teen Challenge #25

yungks.ae

asoir

mc2mc2

paperX

v0rbiss

Narmo

Cordy

Q-Caddlewick

Cup of Joe

sketcheth

And voilà ! comments & crits are welcome, as usual !
    For the next topic, I let Plate/ you decide...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It'll be open for 14 days, that's to say when there'll be the new one.

I will put my own feelings on the entries later, don't have much time right now, but as far as I can see, there've been improvement here and there, and we can also notice that the number of entries is pretty well, thanks to the topic !

What will be the next challenge about ? Look there http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81450 and gimme the answer
    Personnaly I think Lifesource or Serene Scene would be great, since it's interpretation is pretty wide....and yes I'm not in a super-upper-space-battle mood

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey sloth. the lantern behind the guy seems really dim. it doesn't really make sense. it seems to be the same type of lantern as the one in the foreground, yet it is giving out a significantly less amount of light. it doesn't seem to be that far into the background to be effected by atmosphere, either. for example, even the lights in the far background seem to be brighter than it, even though they are hundreds of yards away. i particularly like the vegetation in this one, and the sun peeking over the clouds. it looks like a storm is about to happen, which suits the piece well. i suck at this type of stuff, but i do feel like a greater color range in the guy's face would make him pop out more. right now it seems to be a small color range with mainly a difference in values. the boat is also very nicely done.

jake, the hands and arms are nicely done. the cloth wrap is not really doing it for me, it looks very unrealistic. also i suck at colors but i think the piece is lacking an overall color unity. wish i could say more on that point, but the presentation is lovely.

mc2mc2, quit sweet. think he has tiny feets, and it looks like you really struggled with his hands, which distorts the harmony of the character.

yungsk, i know its not finished, but the way you portrayed the armor does not seem right for the type of material it is. ie, i assume it is supposed to be bulky, metal/heavy armor, but it looks like folded paper, gel, or cloth.

narmo, taste the rainbow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good job everyone

As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle being swept along is no longer enough.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha, you didnt have to include my monstrosity
    jakes was tempting but sketcheths is real nice!

edit- sloth, was very close to voting yours too...damn fine work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    asoir => everything's good for a teen challenge, whatever if it's not a finished piece or what you wanted to draw, at least you did something, and that's great

So here are my few critics:
    invinciblewombat: don't know if it's a photoshop "filtre" (filter ?) or a real attempt to painting, but I think there's a lack of deepness in your entry cause of the sand maybe.. dunno.

j a k e : yours was in my top 3, but, I can't see a wanderer in him; is there a particular reason for having rotate the horizon line ? It's more dynamic, but does't feet to this environment wich is pretty "peaceful" ? But I love it, it's so well rendered !

Evil_Sloth : As usual, a great piece ! I would add to what Lohan said that there may be some proportion mistakes, for example the too people on the bridge, I think they are too tall compared to the wanderer and the whole pic.

yungks.ae : I love the idea ! So bad that you hadn't finished it, the colors seem great.

asoir : Well maybe it needs a l'tle bit more time :p to be honest I don't really get why.. this ^^

mc2mc2: that's great pencil here :o Anatomy's fine I think, but he looks very.. static for a wanderer.

paperX : little yellow ridding hood huh ? Maybe there are too many colors, you should try to use only 2 or 3 main values, or to work in black and white sometimes...

v0rbiss : it's fun because at first sight I thought that it was done too fast, etc etc but as someone said in the other thread, the more I look at it, the more a like it, there's plenty of mysterious; but it's still to "rough" for me

Cordy: Honnestly I don't know if the wanderer if the red spaceship or the guy walking at the background; if it's the first one, well, why should we consider it as a wanderer ? Maybe you could done the ship on a devasted planet, alone or.. dunno.. / if it's the walking guy, he's way too far from us, and don't seem to be the main "topic" of the picture.

Q-Caddlewick: He is a wanderer, at least that's clear. I'm pretty fond of the "sketch style", but if I've the choice, I often prefered a well-finished-cleaned drawing, so it's totally personnal

Cup-of-Joe: hm I'm not sure to understand everything, but I like the figure of the man in the first square, he looks very elegant

sketcheth: and this is the well-finished-cleaned (more or less ) I love ! Very.. conceptual in fact. I like the little details you added, as the bamboo-stick, the necklace, the wonderful belt.... and yes, your piece got my vote.. and yes, I'm jalous of overskilled young people.

Hope I haven't been too rude, as I always say it's not easy to give some advice in an other language and at the same time not to be disdainful or whatever.
    Congratulation everybody, this was a wonderful round

Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
kudos to Narmo for writing these crits down! I agree on all of these points !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jake gets my vote, reminds me of his lord xenu picture, which was pretty much the best picture ever.

and its different. And this is CONCEPT art
    not popularity contestept art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Evil_Sloth get's my vote. The composition, rendering and subtle lighting make it a complete piece which tells a story upon looking at it. Nevertheless, there are flaws such as the wanderer's sheer tallness,which makes the ship in the background look like a mini-ship.

Well done!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    invinciblewombat Neat concept, my friend! I really like the blue and green tones of the shadows. Great use of texture too.
    jake Nice stuff, I like the color choices for this, they all work really well together. The pose and angle confuse me though...still, neat character.
    Evil_Sloth Vote.
    yungks.ae Beautiful color use and painting style...the oranges...very nice. Neat concept, I wish you'd have finished it.
    asoir That's pretty. Really neat concept...creepy.
    mc2mc2 Your pencil work is great man. I think one thing you could do to really ground the image is to just add a horizon line or shadow for him.
    PaperXReally like what you did with the final. The texture you added is beautiful.
    v0rbissWould have loved to see this go just a little bit further. I really like the angle and everything.
    Narmo I love the size of the canvas you used, so tall and everything...really cool. The deep blue is fantastic. Neat idea there...and thanks for the comment! I had other ideas for the staff, but I'm glad you like it as is. I definitely could've cleaned up a bit more that.
    Cordy I'm kind of confused as to what's going on here...but I love how you've rendered it so far. Sweet.
    QCaddlewick Would have loved to see this go further. Definitely a wanderer.
    Cup of Joe A back story! Brilliant! Really like the work you've done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted Evil_Sloth. Thats pretty awesome.
    I should enter the next one while im still 19

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Narmo, thanks a bunch for getting the poll up! My internet connection has been down for the past couple days, the help is much appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Narmo- Thanks for the crits! I agree it's pretty hard to follow. It probably didn't help that I suddenly decided to completly change the layout and story the day it was due. As or the guy, in my original idea, he was going to be the whole piece, but I had a lot more fun this way! (BTW, what's your avatar from?)

Sketcheth- Thanks! Heh, now if only it made sense.

evil_sloth and Sketcheth were very tempting, but I went for yungks.ae. I'm really loving where that one's going, even if it isn't finished.

Good job everyone!

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great round everyone, really top notch stuff, i went for sloth on this one, other close contenders being jake and yungks. this looks like it's my final teen challenge *single tear down the cheek* keep on kicking ass guys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cup of Joe => My avatar is the head of Ignudo, from the Sixtine Chapelle of Michelangelo Buonaroti, and I love the dynamic of this portrait

and.. we need a NEW TOPIC. which one ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sloth, I think you've really outdone yourself this time around. I really like the feel of the piece cause it's really atmospheric, and you can really sense that distant sound of the town coming from the backdrop when you look at the piece. You won my vote

heres a little bit of critiquing, I hope you take everything with light consideration as this is the first time I've ever done critiquing, lol

jake I love the colours you've got for certain areas, and some areas I would say maybe lower the colours a little bit so you can create some nice contrasts, eg. lowering the vibrancy of the Wanderer character in certain areas and have that water reflecting on him? I dunno

wombat, I really like the style you did, and the wiring of the robot is my favourite part of the whole piece (just look at it, the wires are really good) might I add yet again that the style is really sweet? Very illustrative.
    In terms of the illustrative part, I can only add that there needs to be a little more space for the man to sit in, because people might be wondering where his legs are at

sketcheth, very cool stuff, man. I love the clothing design, and I'm in the process of learning it right now, so all I can say is it's really cool =) well done! My only critique would be to add some extra contrast of light, maybe something cold so that you can really feel the piece.

cordy, your piece rocks. You are probably my next vote from sloth just because I love your style to death- reminds me of those Calvin and Hobbes comics.

for everyone else who I didn't critique, that doesn't mean that I didn't look at your piece. I can see just one single thing that gives the image slightly less appeal, but there is certainly a lot of effort that you put in your piece. I advise a little self-critiquing and see what you can fix, but I really have to commend everyone for a job well done
    and yeah I've been too busy to finish my entry, working on a theatrical production for my school and have to be in the school from like 8 AM to 9 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Cordy, I can't really see what this has to do with "the wanderer" topic, but the aircraft just fuckin rocks, I didn't had a choice but to vote for the red fighter of doom!

Thanks goes to all the guys who found some time to comment on all the pics!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Narmo
    asoir => everything's good for a teen challenge, whatever if it's not a finished piece or what you wanted to draw, at least you did something, and that's great

So here are my few critics:
    invinciblewombat: don't know if it's a photoshop "filtre" (filter ?) or a real attempt to painting, but I think there's a lack of deepness in your entry cause of the sand maybe.. dunno.

j a k e : yours was in my top 3, but, I can't see a wanderer in him; is there a particular reason for having rotate the horizon line ? It's more dynamic, but does't feet to this environment wich is pretty "peaceful" ? But I love it, it's so well rendered !

Evil_Sloth : As usual, a great piece ! I would add to what Lohan said that there may be some proportion mistakes, for example the too people on the bridge, I think they are too tall compared to the wanderer and the whole pic.

yungks.ae : I love the idea ! So bad that you hadn't finished it, the colors seem great.

asoir : Well maybe it needs a l'tle bit more time :p to be honest I don't really get why.. this ^^

mc2mc2: that's great pencil here :o Anatomy's fine I think, but he looks very.. static for a wanderer.

paperX : little yellow ridding hood huh ? Maybe there are too many colors, you should try to use only 2 or 3 main values, or to work in black and white sometimes...

v0rbiss : it's fun because at first sight I thought that it was done too fast, etc etc but as someone said in the other thread, the more I look at it, the more a like it, there's plenty of mysterious; but it's still to "rough" for me

Cordy: Honnestly I don't know if the wanderer if the red spaceship or the guy walking at the background; if it's the first one, well, why should we consider it as a wanderer ? Maybe you could done the ship on a devasted planet, alone or.. dunno.. / if it's the walking guy, he's way too far from us, and don't seem to be the main "topic" of the picture.

Q-Caddlewick: He is a wanderer, at least that's clear. I'm pretty fond of the "sketch style", but if I've the choice, I often prefered a well-finished-cleaned drawing, so it's totally personnal

Cup-of-Joe: hm I'm not sure to understand everything, but I like the figure of the man in the first square, he looks very elegant

sketcheth: and this is the well-finished-cleaned (more or less ) I love ! Very.. conceptual in fact. I like the little details you added, as the bamboo-stick, the necklace, the wonderful belt.... and yes, your piece got my vote.. and yes, I'm jalous of overskilled young people.

Hope I haven't been too rude, as I always say it's not easy to give some advice in an other language and at the same time not to be disdainful or whatever.
    Congratulation everybody, this was a wonderful round

haha, take a closer look, teh dude in the b/g...hidden.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Narmo gets my vote, good metaphor-like illustration.
    I like Jake's entry too but I dont get how it relates to the topic. Evil Sloth made another stunning entry, you are a beast!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    voted for mc2mc2 loving that rendering, few anatomy issues but yeah cool shit bro.

sketcheth was a close second, nice character illustration and control of values.

Hmm next challenge should be futuristic, I like that red space ship of cordy's a lot, maybe a future space ship dog fight or something?
    Epic effort dudes. Lets get the next round up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lots of great art going on as usual. We need to keep up the participation, this is a lot more fun when you have tons of people.

I know my entry is very unfinished. I would have cleaned it a bit, but time didn't allow. Actually I wasn't even planning on participating in this tc, I just did my wanderer because I liked the topic. I was only able to spend about a half hour on it. Then I said what the heck, and posted it. Hopefully future enties will be a little more finished.

Before I start commentating (I don't give my oppinion enough weight to actually call it critiquing) I just wanted to let you know where I'm coming from.
    This being a concept art sort of thing, I see the emphasis as being most strongly on the, well, the concept I guess. The design, the thoughts behind the idea. That is what we are looking for. (I'm looking for I should say)
    So when I cast my vote or comment, I will probably like a stronger concept better even if the art is not as highly rendered. (not that I'm trying to excuse my piece or anything )
    So now you know where I'm coming from and I can get down to what I'm best at. Ranting.

Wombat - strong design. We know exactly why he is a wanderer, who would ever go home if they had one of those to play with. We also know why he has no destination, he doesn't care where he's going he just wants to drive the thing. A very cool idea. I wonder, do you think his eye patch makes him go in circles? Some more contrast or shadows in the background would be nice, right now he looks like he's standing on a stage, with a big flat whatever-they-call-those-background-things behind him.

J A K E - The high level of rendering is good. I can't help but want a bit more texture in the background surfaces, but you may have done that to draw more attention to you character. Very interesting design on the dude, I like the rendering on the torso area. I think he could have been integrated into the background better, maybe with a shadow on the rock and some more of that light thats hitting the rock showing up on his skin. The poor dude looks like he's about to loose his pants. You did a good job of making me wonder what it is he's looking at.

Evil_Sloth - You put an amazing amount of work into this piece good job man. Painting the baground by hand adds to it greatly. The atmosphere is excellent, end of the day, stormclouds on the horizon. You character feels like he has just been exiled. I see a few things that could punch it up a bit more. First I'd say to have some of that sunlight hitting the two peaks to the left of your figure. This would help to silhoette him against the background a bit, making him stand out more. It would also tie the earthbound elements of the image to the sky more. Somehow the light of the sky doesn't seem to be affecting the ground elements enough. I would also suggest emphasizing that ship a bit more. I didn't notice it until I took a very close look at the image. Making it stand out more would help the viewer to determine the size of the buildings in the background better. Also the perspective on the bridge bothers me, I think that is also confusing the size of the buildings a bit. Over all a very nice piece.

yungks.ae - wild color scheme going there. I really like the way you do your blending. I'm assuming that he is supposed to be a space wanderer, but there isn't a whole lot in the image that indicates he is a wanderer. I'm not sure what the grey thing in the background is supposed to be, maybe the whole bakground is the hull of a big ship and the grey thing is the windshield? And you never got to the point of rendering it. I'm not sure the significance of the flowers. Is that some sort of symbolism going there? I think that getting some more shadows playing on the face could help it to read better. Like I said above, I like the way you blend a lot, I look forward to seeing your future entries.

asoir - very weird, in a good way. I'm betting he tried doing that in the house one time amd his parents kicked him out. I like the red color scheme, youv'e created an eery atmosphere. The cloaked figure in the background is a nice touch. Why he following our wanderer I wonder...
    At first I wanted some kind of light to be playing on the wanderer but I think that would only result in taking away from the mysteriousness of him.

mc2mc2 - A very strong design, he definitely gives the "wanderer" feeling. I'm going to guess that he's good with those bumerangs based off of the feathers and the horn worked into his outfit. He looks like he carries everything he needs in that backpack, he also seems to live in some inhospitable country. Some stronger shadows would help to increase the impression of strong sunlight. Youve got some slight proportion issues going, but nothing too serious.

paperX - you brought the rendering on the whole piece quite far but especially on the figure. You've got one of the top four most highly rendered pieces. The thing I'm having a hard time with looking at it is that, with everything being so symetrical and equally emphisized it is creating a flat look. the large spans of black are also contributing to it. I think that some yellow light from the lantern on the tree trunks would help. Darkening the outlines of the lantern would help it to read better. The head seems to be a bit large for the rest of the body. Just a few things to keep an eye on for next time. Good work!

v0rbiss - If sketcheth hadn't posted I would have voted for yours. Like I said earlier, yours captures the essense of the wanderer. You managed to portay the simplicity of the life of one with no home, merely by the simplicity of the piece. Not much more I can say. Apologies for not having a longer comment.

Narmo - You have the most unusual interpretation. Lohan put it very well I don't think I could add much to his comment.

Cordy - an interesting style but I don't see how it fits the subject. Is the little dude in the background supposed to be the wanderer?

Q-Caddlewick - You should spend more time on your entries! [smacks self as punishment]

Cup of Joe - Now that is a new way to do teen challenge. Actually I'm curios, does anyone know what the rules about putting text into the image are? Are cartoons looked upon favoribly in teen challeng? [cartoons in the "captioned image" sense fo the word] I think you idea would have worked better if you had made the image the main focus and had the text overlayed onto it, rather than haveing small images accompanied by the brown baground text which occupies equal amounts of space.

Sketcheth - you got my vote. You did a somewhat traditional wanderer with your own spin. Doing a girl was a cool idea, I wouldn't have attemped it because of my relative lack of experience drawing women. (something I need to work on fixing) I can't give any advice that hasn't already been givin. Just a few anatomy issues, but everyone has trouble with anatomy.

----------------------

And those are my random thoughts. If you like them great, if you don't, ignore them. And whatever you do don't take me too seriously. I know how much I like people talking about my work so I assume everyone esle feels the same, thus I tried to comment on everyone's. If I missed you it was unintentional, just flame me in a pm, that'l set me strait.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks alot for the crits guys, I think i should have spent more time and attention on the 'wanderer''s actual design more than her surroundings i think
    till next time

anyways...voted for sketcheth, 1. cuz its a really great design and rendered nicely. but more importantly 2. he actually did alot of pre-designing working out the clothes and pose over and over again.

He deserves my vote

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks alot for all the crits and comments on my peice guys

Basically I voted for sketcheth because of the great design. I know he put a lot of effort into concepting and finishing his piece. (What paperX said lol)

I was close to voting for Evil_Sloth...awesome environment...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    v0rbiss has my vote. The piece was the most evocative and really said wanderer to me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They are coming for you....the c&c!!!
    I'm so lazy atm, pls bare with my ramblings.
    Most of this will be crits, if you need to hear how great you are just show random pic to your grandma.

invinciblewombat: The texture is cool, but it's a bit flat for that kind of pic imho. Composityonaly it's leaning to the left atm, the position of the "thing" plus the direction of it's movement is the reason I think. The "rider" doesn't have too much construction. The mech's shadow's color is very good btw!

j a k e: This one lacks the usual "wholeness" your images tend to have, and the guy looks like he's falling as I said before.

Evil_Sloth: one of your best pics so far imo. Anyway, the guy isn't well defined below the waist(OMG!) and the bridge seems out of perspective or something like that, it doesn't look quite right, to me at least.

yungks.ae: I really like the mood and the colors in your pic, very cool! It seems a bit unfinished tho, and the construction of the guy's body under that suit is a bit unclear at some places.

asoir: too much black for my taste.

mc2mc2: you have good pencil rendering skills, and nice lines. It'll look so much better if you add some kind of bg or environment around the man tho.
    And his proportions aren't quite right I think.

paperX: I can't really understand what's exactly going on, but it's dramatic for sure! The compo is solid, and the eyes behind her are cool!

v0rbiss: practice more man, it looks like you need that!

Narmo: this pic screams "heavy drug abuse" Chromatic shading, eh? That shit is tough. :|
    The compo isn't working imo, the empty space looks like it doesn't have specific function and is included just for kicks. xxx

Cordy: YEEEEHAAAAWWW!!! The aircraft rocks, both construction and color wise, keep rockin bro!

Q-Caddlewick: Looks very promising, you should've finished it. If it is finished, it looks like it isn't. : }

Cup Of Joe: spare our eyes man, those tiny pics are so hard to look at! Hamonising colors you have there!

Sketcheth: I'd advise against the pure black shadow tho, and there are the usual minor anatoical issues(e.g. the lenght of the knee-to-heel part of the leg is the same as the head's height) , but it's a great image nontheless.

@Darasen: I'm glad you liked it, thanks for the vote!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    when/what is next one?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The colors and light in Jakes one really really fits my likeing. *click*

Father Christmas will mess you up.
    Deviantart-page
    its my SKETCHBOOK! first page last page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Teen Challenge 26# 's now launched here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...49#post1247549

but the poll isn't closed here !

• Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.