Sketchbook: sketcheth book o learning 072410 - Page 9

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,844 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Whoooh that orange robot is great. Push the metallic look a bit more, metal tends to have strong, saturated highlights, color dodge or linear dodge is good for this. on the second one, watch your values, there's no real focus, which makes it hard to read, even if the perspective and idea is awesome.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Late on posting again...here we go. I got a new Pentel Pocketbrush!~

UpDTA
    :They were intended to be laying on top of his armor really, not a pattern, more like shoulder pads or something. Apparently poorly executed.....oops.
    Algenpfleger: Thank you! I've been having a lot of trouble with metals lately...I'll keep that in mind for the next one I do...the overlay layer can help me achieve that dodge look I think. Thanks bro!
    --------------------
    Name:  060108_sketch.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  115.1 KBName:  060208_sketch.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  155.8 KB
    Name:  060408_sketch.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  160.2 KBName:  060508_sketch.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  192.4 KB
    Name:  060608_brushpen2.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  270.4 KBName:  060608_brushpen.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  166.6 KB

Last edited by sketcheth; June 7th, 2008 at 02:48 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Just my teen challenge for now!
    Name:  sketcheth_teen_challenge_47.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  241.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's a great one! I'll be voting for you.

Jaime G. Wong
    retrazos.pe
    CA Sketchbook -- Please critique!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Only crit I have is that the Turquoise/green chicks' thighs and hips are too low, her torso is too long anotherwords. Her thighs ought to be roughly behind her left arm there...

$.02

Good stuff!!

"Every portrait that is painted with feeling is a portrait of the artist, not of the sitter." -Oscar Wilde

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

jgwong Aww thanks, bro! That's awesome.
    cmoreland Ooh thank you so so much for critiquing, my friend. That's definitely helpful. I really need to work on my anatomy so badly...ugh. It's high time I did some serious anatomical studies. Thanks for commenting, man.
    -------------------------
    Well it's high time I'd update again, it's been days without sketchbooking and I feel absolutely terrible for it. This is what I made myself do in the sketchbook earlier while watching Bobby Chiu podcast reruns, haha. I really have started to see how...badly generic my faces are starting to get...Ugh. I think I should just take my sketchbook out for some portrait drawing some day and try to get as much as I can down. And make sure I get unusual faces/unique faces.

Here's all for now. It'll probably be tomorrow before I post again...
    Name:  060808_sketch.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  153.4 KBName:  061008_faces.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  186.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Here's a speedpaint I did today...40 minutes...It's all I've really done so far. I hope to have more later!
    Name:  061108_speedpaintR.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  214.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work on the last batch of faces and that environment. Also, nice soldier for the teen challenge. You've got a very recognizable style, and for that I am very jealous haha. But overall, good anatomy, weight distribution, and proportion. No complaints!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey buddy, thanks for stopping by the ole sketchbook! It hasn't seen any action for some time now, I did a lot of stuff last night on the wacom but didn't post it because it's all crap. I've got to get my anatomy together, so far I can draw a few poses but I want to be able to get things down on paper correctly out of my own head. So thanks for the link! Can't wait to get home and try it out!!

-Clay

"Every portrait that is painted with feeling is a portrait of the artist, not of the sitter." -Oscar Wilde

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Om nom nom nom.

At least your faces are stable haha! When I draw faces, there's only a 50% chance that it looks like a face in the first place. But yeah, get some variety in there! That speedpaint look great too, a thing that bugs me is that it's quite visible that you start on top of a black silhouette, it shows in the edges and the colors. Hmmm try out some other ways, just for the sake of experimenting, like painting directly in color or rendering in greyscale and then using a color layer.

Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

algenpfleger: Haha, well your self portraits have been looking great. Well hey, those are awesome tips man! And I can totally see what you mean about those silhouettes. I'll do my best to put those into practice!

cmoreland: Aww come on, man. Don't make excuses! Everyone produces crap, just compile it into a large image of many small crapish pieces and then it will be impressive as a whole. I mean, at least it shows you're working. Don't let yourself stagnate!

Steel Buddha: Thanks for stopping by, and for the praise, my friend. I guess everyone has their own unique design aesthetic.
    -------------
    Well tonight was the ConceptArt St.Louis sketch group meeting and it was a fantastic time. Seven including myself attended...such a blast just to be around people that are really passionate about what they do...even though we know we all slack a little more than we probably should. If anyone else is in the St.Louis/St.Charles area would like to attend just let me know and you on the contact list. Bring your sketchbook and leave your ego at home. I can't wait for the next one. These sketches are by in large the product of my night.

Name:  061208_sketchpage.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  192.7 KB
    Name:  061308_castl_sketch2.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  174.8 KB
    Name:  061308_castl_sketch3.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  313.8 KB
    Name:  061308_castl_sketch.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  164.4 KB
    Name:  061208_redstripedspeedpaint.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  176.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey sketcheth, thanks alot for the crits mate
    you see right to the heart of me re. my fear of feet, i agree that its time to get into the good old fashioned anatomy drawings. speaking of which would u happen to know any websites that allow u to get decent resolution anatomy photos? thats been one of my biggest problems.
    i'm really enjoying your style. it stands out and i think you make all your pieces your own. your submission for the teen challenge really was sweet, excellent design and colour scheme.
    i'm looking foward to possibly seeing an enviroment from u for the next teen challenge.
    also, man i'm finding incubus fans all over the place these days. but then again how could u not love that band hey?
    any further crits you've got over the coming weeks are more than welcome, next time i see something i can alert u about in your work i will let you know.

cheers mate

Floating in this cosmic Jacuzzi we are frogs oblivious to the water starting to boil

Original Doive's Sketchbook CRITS PLEASE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man! It was great meeting, and hanging out with you!

I really enjoyed checking out your SB in person, and it's always cool to see other peoples creative process. Totally weird how close you live to me! Ha-ha!

The little challenges were a lot of fun... it's interesting how, given pretty much the same information, everybody comes up with something totally different. That bubble man character is great! Really like the simple costume, and the prop is a totally inspired idea.

I really look forward to seeing more of you!
    Take care
    Your friend
    KC

You can choose to use your powers for good... or you can use them for AWESOME!

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man,
    some really awesome stuff in here
    subscribed!

Cheers,

Surion

Help me improve my drawing skills by commenting my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great new teen competition. keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook.

As for yours, I've stated before; I envy your looseness in your drawings. It shows you understand your knowledge of art and design very well (and you're a teen!?). Your character designs are also quite magnificent to say the least. The knight was a clear winner in my opinion. Excellent colour choices, excellent style.

I'm going to watch for your works in the future. Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, I like those last batch of sketches. Wish I had a sketch group to go to

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll soon respond to the comments guys, thanks so much for the support. This week have been utter failure and composite laziness. I can't believe I've gone this far in without doing any serious work. I'll get off my ass now, I think.

Here's all I've managed to complete so far...that's a crop from what started as a speedpaint and will go on for much longer. Hopefully more tomorrow. Where are my posemaniacs? Ehh...terrible. It's just been a busy week...due to an unpredicted and incredible turn of events I visit KCAI on Thursday and register Friday. Wow.

Name:  061408_sketches.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  233.7 KB
    Name:  061608_sketch.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  201.1 KB
    Name:  061408_characters.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  164.8 KB
    Name:  061708_redthumb.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  306.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, congrats on your triumph at the Teen Challenge! I knew I was voting for the winner. You're making great progress lately, those last sketches and paints are grrreat! I really dig your faces studies.

PS: Thanks for visiting my SB too.

Jaime G. Wong
    retrazos.pe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wanted to second KC in saying it was good to have you at our sketch group last Friday! So I'm guessing you won't be home for Fantasy Figure then? I think I might go up there anyway. You need to send me your email so I can fwd bulk messages to everyone. Good luck in KC!

The sketches are great. I like your thumbnail type stuff quite a bit. I think I might try to do s'more of those. Sketch group has already been productive for me as I've drawn more this week then usual (outside of work). So thanks for helping feed my drive! Ha! I really love the last loose paint you posted. Especially the warm reflected light in the face. I find it tough to loosen up when painting. You're channeling your inner Craig Mullins! lol Keep it going, man! Hope to see you soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Quick update...I'll be heading to KCAI today...oh woe is me...college is drawing near...I'll still respond to those comments in just a little bit. In the mean time. This is me trying to be productive. Posemaniacs and the Goblin of Self-Motivation raising his arms in preparation to demonstrate his smiting ability upon my rear. I'm trying guys...I really am...rough week...

And uhm, guys? 5 star sketchbook thread? That's really cool of you all. I'm truly touched. I don't even care if I drop back down immediately, in fact, I expect to, I don't think I deserve it yet, but the fact that some of you think I do...that's awesome. Means a lot to me. Take care, guys and gals.
    Name:  061808_posemaniacs1.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  218.2 KB
    Name:  061908_crazyman.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  184.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good work, great attitude. 5 stars for that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    though i should drop by n say something, looking great, keep up the good work, I dont really have anything to crit, just keep doing what ur doing and ul get better at it lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

originaldoive: Ah, that is a fear inherent in many artists, I think.

About the hi res images...that's tough to say...I really don't have any good resources for that...I know there are websites that do have those, but they're not free...never free...sucks.

KingCoyote: Yeah man! Sketch group has been awesome for me! It's
    great motivation to be around people that are passionate like you guys...ah, missed ya last night, though. Hopefully next time the sketch group meets we'll be able to get more of the people from last time around back. Take care!

Surion: Appreciate it, man. That's awesome of you to stop by.

Reject-D: Thanks, I will!

the Amaranth: Hey thanks, yeah, I do my best. I'm trying, I've had a lot of good inspiration lately.

Steel Buddha: Sometimes you've just got to start them yourselves. I found out about this one completely by chance.

jgwong: Hey and thank you for stopping by mine, and for the vote. 'tis very much appreciated.

Zebz: Yeah, it's been a pleasure having that to look forward to on Friday nights...I swear, pure fun. Thanks loads for your help

Yeah man, I can't wait to see you fire up your new sketchbook thread and stuff. Haha, my inner Craig Mullins. I would be thrilled to actually have a little Craig Mullins inside of me...sounds so wrong.

kait: Aww...thanks.

Lotet: That's what I plan on doing, thanks!
    ----------------------------

This update is from the last two days. I'm officially enrolled for this fall semester at art school, so that's great.
    These are sketches I did on the road to and from, while at my relatives, and at fantasy figure drawing on Friday night. Awesome time.
    Name:  061808_sketch.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  191.9 KBName:  061908_sketch2.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  184.3 KB
    Name:  061908_sketch.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  223.7 KBName:  062008_sketch2.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  238.7 KB
    Name:  062008_sketch.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  233.9 KBName:  062008_ffs_1.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  143.2 KB
    Name:  062008_ffs_2.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  164.4 KBName:  062008_ffs_3.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  186.3 KB
    Name:  062008_ffs_4.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  152.3 KBName:  062008_ffs_5.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  143.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketch page and some posemaniacs...ugh. I need to mix this up and do something different. Any ideas?
    Name:  062308_sketch.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  214.6 KBName:  062308_pm_1.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  275.0 KB
    Name:  062308_pm_2.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  217.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Faces are rocking man, seems you got over that "generic look" problem quite quick! Now do some more colored stuff will ya!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice! You should try some varied, extreme expressions. Keep going!

Jaime G. Wong
    retrazos.pe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool faces and expressions!! i like it! keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, your drawings are phenomenal. the sense of motion in your figures is very naturalistic.
    fuck yeah dude!
    rock on!

Blog
    Sketchbook

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 917 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    such an inspiration keep up the hard work man!

Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2