Art: Sculpey Vs Super Sculpey

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Sculpey Vs Super Sculpey

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking Sculpey Vs Super Sculpey

Hi there,
    I'm new here, and a bit new to this modelling stuff (I do CG modelling, rather than the hands on stuff). But got bitten by the bug.
    Was intrigued about the differences between Sculpey and super sculpey.
    I'm aware super sculpey has more of transluscent quality - but does it model, feel better or different from normal ol' sculpey?
    this Question comes about because I'm on a bit of a budget and would quite like to work on a large-ish model and sculpey is literally half the price of super sculpey.
    Is super sculpey worth the 100% price increase?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Super bakes up much harder.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like working with S Sculpey better, you can pull it like chewing gum while Sculpey is more crumbly.
    And just for your comparsion:
    I just peeled out the glass eyes of an old sculpey dragon of mine, with my bare fingernails. With Super Sculpey thats much harder. And yes the eyes were in deep sockets (uhm, yes, now you all officially know what a horrible death my older works endure...sculpturekillarwoman! raaarrr)
    Then again, nice price difference. I tend to use normal sculpey for bulkey parts, or sockets (only! if you sculpt over a base, not plain sculpey !)
    I once saw a comparison somewhere saying that fimo soft bakes up best concerning breakage (not as hard but bounces off better... something like that)

your question: it really really depends what you make. The more bulky the form the more I'd recommend cheaper sculpey, the more thinpartsdetails the more you will be better off with Super. I sometimes also mix mine.
    But, no matter what what you will eventually take, be sure to make a good armature. Good luck and muchos fun. And beware, you will be soon addicted

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    were are you based- and were are you getting ur ss from? someone might be able to help u out with a cheaper supplier.
    http://www.polymerclaypit.co.uk/acat...r_Sculpey.html
    this one is quite good .Hope it helps a bit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by tysiony
    were are you based- and were are you getting ur ss from? someone might be able to help u out with a cheaper supplier.
    http://www.polymerclaypit.co.uk/acat...r_Sculpey.html
    this one is quite good .Hope it helps a bit.
    I'm based in Wellington, New Zealand. I found a NZ place on the net, but it's not terribly good value unless one buys a whole box of the stuff (10kg) which makes it per Kg pretty darn good - but a fairly sizable outlay. I've been buying small amounts from the local art supply store.
    Thanks I checked the site - good to see it's possible to buy the 8lb blocks.

Cheers and thanks so much for your answers, that just what I wanted to here.
    Super Sculpey it shall be I think. Until I can get some cash though I'll have to be using the wet clay

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've used plain Sculpey because I teach art in a public school and have to buy many materials out of my own pocket. Sculpey is fine for children's work or things you don't take particularly seriously. But, personally speaking, plain Sculpey is too soft for me and too brittle after curing.

I see that most everyone who does this seriously uses Super Sculpey. That's what I'll use next time I want to make a real sculpture of my own. Oh, there's also Milliput -- apparently some artists have terrific success with it. I've only used it to join the various parts of figurines together, and it's wonderful for that.

Super Sculpey and Super Sculpey Firm
    Milliput
    Kneadatite or "Green Stuff"
    ProCreate

Last edited by teh roxxors; March 24th, 2007 at 08:41 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Super Sculpey is worth the extra money .... trust me. It is firmer than regular sculpey and holds detail much better. There is a night and day difference between the two clays.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with gtaw...its worth every cent. Although its kinda cool that you worked with Sculpey first so that you can really experience the difference when you do one in Super Sculpey.

Regular Sculpey sticks to your hands, Super Sculpey doesn't. And its night and day when you're talking about the detail and level of "finishing" or "tightness" that you can get with Super Sculpey.

B
    www.shiflettbrothers.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I want to add that Polyform has a substantial quality control problem with plain Sculpey. Some boxes contain a drier, stiffer clay while other boxes contain a wet, gooey clay that is very tough to work with. I've got two 8 lb. boxes of Sculpey that is about as soft as peanut butter, and I am not very happy about that.

Maybe Sculpey isn't marked up enough for Polyform to care about its quality?

Members who have read this thread: 2