C.O.W. - #079: Lava Swimmer

Round #079

Topic:
    Lava Swimmer

Deadline:
    Monday, 12th March 2007

- for any questions or help go here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37512

note: The deadline won't be EXACTLY after a week...it can last up to 24 hours more, i am human and have to work also, you know

Post your creature for this week!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    thx to Sorknes for the topic idea!

Well, i want to add a note here:
    Last round i was disappointed that some artists didn't make creatures which really harvested hearts in the meaning of the organ. I know that i allowed to interprete heart in the symbolic way, but i didn't want to open gates for any interpretation of the word heart.

It was my fault so i accepted all entries

Still i can't understand why you would think of anything in heart shape but not the heart as an organ?

The topics lose their senses with that kind of thinking.

When i say Heart Harvester isn't it obvious that you should think of a creature which harvests hearts (organ or emotional) but not think of plants or anything else which is called heart afterwards?

eg this time the topic is Lava Swimmer...now i could think of a soft drink which is called Lava and my creature is an insect which swims in this drink - voila - done! But is this really the sense and point of doing conceptart when referring to a given topic - turning and twisting every word to have at the end a totally different thing?

Well, i don't want to make any accusations or whatever, just wondering about the wild interpretations sometimes

So, that said...when we have the topic Lava Swimmer we are talking about the hot fluid which is found in the core of our planet and comes out of vulcanoes...ok?

Thanks
    What a pity, i was starting to think about something that wallows around in your er, love lava. Like in the B 52's song.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    hehe I plead guilty Fozzy my first idea was to do something with the heart and emotions and stuff, but I couldn't get something that worked for me. Then out of frustration I came up with a sketch that became my entry...I agree with what you said and it will hopefully not happen again.

A small note though, I may have interpreted the word heart a bit freely but I must say that the theme of 'harvester' too wasn't present in all the concepts. Just ripping ones heart out I think isn't really harvesting. That's why I went for the agricultural thing

Anyway, nuff said, lets get sketzzin'
    Last edited by yoitisi; March 5th, 2007 at 10:30 AM.

Thanks
    hehe, i know yoitisi....but as i said i am not accusing anyone, just farting

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzybar
    thx to Sorknes for the topic idea!

Still i can't understand why you would think of anything in heart shape but not the heart as an organ?

The topics lose their senses with that kind of thinking.

When i say Heart Harvester isn't it obvious that you should think of a creature which harvests hearts (organ or emotional) but not think of plants or anything else which is called heart afterwards?
    well- I could give you 2 reasons. One is that it's always seemed a given to me on any job to look for a solution that isn't the most obvious. If you state the 'heart' must be of the organ variety, then we're stuck with it, but otherwise it's another opportunity to be 'creative'. The second reason is more personal frankly, I don't have much interest in designing a heart harvester in the literal sense. I'm just not interested in a buckets of blood design. Now, I haven't participated in months, but I thought it worthwhile to give another point of view.

Thanks
    i know that reason for creativity, but if we think this thoughts to the end we would have 10 out of 10 entries with hearts which are not the organ, this is ridiculous, but i know what you mean

Thanks
    A'ight, enough talk! Bring on the lava swimming monstrosities! This round has everything it takes to make a participating extravaganza!!!

Thanks
    C.O.W. - #079: Lava Swimmer

Hundreds of years ago Island culture believed that when the ground shook, and a volcano was about to erupt it was due to the gods being angry. The only way to save their villages from certain doom was to sacrifice their own into the fiery pits below. Seeing the fire gods made one go mad… Priests would come back babbling inane words, of living lava, writhing unspeakable masses within the magma… little has ever been found to dispute these godlike creatures.

Until recently that is… for yet again what seemed like a cyclic event, several hundred years have passed and the ground shakes once again… old timers look to the young for sacrifices, yet these newer generations are more scientific minded than ever and wish to explain what is happening.

This is what has been gathered so far…

Glimpses are gained, and instruments record but due to the intense heat one is not actually able to get close enough to study what in fact is a new species, one able to withstand the incredible heat and pressure under the earth. It would seem that these newly discovered lava swimmers stay deep within until it is time to mate… bashing and breaking at fault lines until they have reached the surface in what is to become a fiery cataclysmic mating ritual.

The cooler temperatures towards the surface are apparently necessary for proper incubation of eggs that have been left behind… the whole even lasts no more than a month, and then things are once again calm. With the young apparently already hatched and following their parents into the intense world below.
    Last edited by Woodlandwalker; March 7th, 2007 at 12:11 PM.
    Drawing is the honesty of the art. There is no possiblity of cheating. it is either good or bad. ~ Dali

Thanks
    this is gonne look sweet!

nice one woodland, I like the way your criter looks, I say focus on that and render it bigger etc.

Thanks
    Scrapped this idea. My new idea is on page 2.
    Last edited by ChaoticKnight; March 9th, 2007 at 02:33 AM.

Thanks
    Hey Fozzy, if you are blabling about wild interpretations, there's no lava in the core- it's magma

Thanks
    aaarrrgghhh...*me beams Mydrim to the core*...

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast