Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Jazz' Junk Draw' (Practice Enviro update, Aug 6, 2011)

Thanks
    ahhhhh
    so much I missed here ...

great update!

your poses are getting better and better ..

the suggestion I was about to give is waht funfetus already told you, play with differente hues on this last drawing like you did with that ball ...

keep drawing!
    best regards
    "Dream is not what you see while sleeping ...
    It is the thing which does not let you sleep. "
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Bruno, thanks a lot!

Saw Pirates 3 today. I liked it a lot!! XD I dunno, I didn't mind the length! ^_^ Adored the action! Ahhh, Jack and Barbossa... I digress!!

Today, yesterday, whatever other day, I've been sorrowful about...ahem...being noticed. Being interesting enough. But before I wallowed in self-pity, I was inspired by advice from a bunch of you, and the "Cruel Summer" song, to work on a few things.

For the first two, we can omit anatomy crits because I definitely know they're wrong in places. I just felt up to drawing odd things, but they clearly need work. Though I tried to make some clothes for the girl. I hadn't forgotten about the border suggestion! Just didn't worry.
    Attachment 147497

Attachment 147498

(okay, crits here on in! )

Second, at the library I had a very short-lived desire to capture people from magazines. I only got one.
    Attachment 147499

Third and last, here are a bunch of poses using as basic a set of shapes that I could make. Thanks to all of you who suggested the cylinders and other shapes! With those in mind, I used my imagination, which means I still have to remember proportions and stuff. Simplicity is difficult for me! You can see that I started scribbling within the shapes again! And I also got tired during the third one. Or confused!
    Attachment 147500

...Strange goings on in this part!
    Attachment 147501

What in the world...?
    Attachment 147502

Then again, most of them overall are weird looking.
    Attachment 147503

I wasn't up to colouring lately. I think I'll try working on that again soon.

Thanks
    Hey! Nice work experimenting with different poses. I think thats the thing that holds a lot of people back, I see lots of people who render really nicely but the basic pose is too stiff and whatnot. So keep up the good work because your rendering skills are nice as well!

Oh yeah also I like the girl painting a couple posts up as well. Nice texture there, its very well done.

Thanks
    awsome poses and great to see u switching it up w every post. in a lot of your stuff it feels like your lower half of the leg (shins?) are cut short. i have found that if u over estimate proportions and start exagerating sometimes it helps define your extremes and can add soem more dynamics to your stances.

Thanks
    hey buddy!
    nice up! your pencils must be on fire ...

I like the way you are trying to construct a solid basis for your figures ...

but try in some of these figures go all through the end and put the real stuff on top of all those cylinders ...
    another thing that can help you is buying a transparten paper (do you know which ones? archtects use it a lot) then put them on top of a comic with nices poses and try do draw the cylinders and see how they interact with each other

them, you can add variation:
    1 - you can try to copy the pose, try to add the cylinders in your drawing, and then check with the transparent paper on the original
    2 - you can start with cylinders, then put skin, then check it

you got the ideia ... add variation, don't do the exact same thing always, add variation and make your brain work

best regarsd and keep drawing!
    "Dream is not what you see while sleeping ...
    It is the thing which does not let you sleep. "

Thanks
    I really like the first one! The arms have a nice feel and flow to them, even though the hands get all muddled. It's a cool looking character, too. Kawakaze already mentioned it, but the lower legs are definitely too short. I think that's technically a proportion crit, not an anatomy crit, so I think I can get away with it.

It's good to see you working out some mannequin figures. Don't worry so much about making it look like an art-store mannequin, though. It's probably better if you try to make the "segments" closer to real human shapes -- I drew a quick example. I also threw in the stick-figure skeleton. The point is that you're using these as a frame to build your figures on, so you want them as accurate as possible.

It's definiltely a good start, though. Your poses look good. Keep it up!
    ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"
    - _andreas_ - brunopicinini - funfetus - Suarezart -

Thanks
    Okay, before I thank you guys, I am going to get playfully annoyed because THAT shin issue is the thing I know about! XD I know it's too short! And I haven't yet differentiated between proportion and anatomy, so you CAN'T get away with it yet, funfetus. nyah!

Now that I snapped out about it, hee hee, I can get back to being content. ^_^

---

Clocks: Thank you for the comments! Oh, and thanks for the mention of the girl! ^_^

kawakaze: Thank you for the idea. Since you mentioned more than one short shin issue, now I need to figure out how long the shin is supposed to be!

I'm now confused, because I need to try and work on proportions, as I had been overexaggerating lines earlier. I'm wondering if I should exaggerate anything yet before I know what the proportions are.

bruno: That's an interesting idea with the transparent paper! I'll have to see about doing that later on. Thank you! Now, I'm curious about your mention of variation on the cylinders, firstly because I just started drawing them. Secondly, because I have no idea how to vary a cylinder. Hee hee!

funfetus: I like your skeleton and the basic shapes. :3 Thanks for showing me that. ^_^ Here's where I get literal. When anyone says cylinder, I think "a cylinder", like paper towel tubes. That's why the shapes look as they do. XD So I'll do what I used to do, which is what you're also suggesting, and make it closer to a person's body part shapes.

---

Now I'm curious, because there are a lot of different pieces of advice: Do you suppose I need to lessen the variation in what I'm doing right now? Work in little steps? I'm getting overwhelmed because I don't know what to tackle first, most, or urgently.
    Last edited by Jazz; June 3rd, 2007 at 02:14 PM.

Thanks
    Hi Jazz,

Nice sketchbook. You are trying many different things, and it makes for a colorful and enjoyable thread. I think I like the work on post #16 the best, because it shows you trying different techniques. But, I also think you have a real strength in cartooning that you should build on. (That is just my opinion though.) Your "cartoony" work seems more unique to me than some of your other posts, and is a good direction to go to develop your own "voice". You might want to look at Jon Foster's artwork. He does stylized work, but there are also realistic elements to it as well. I could see you heading in that direction over time.

Best,

K.I.D.

Thanks
    It's no fun feeling stressed. Sorry for being a little grumpy, guys.

K.I.D., I was really thinking about what you said!! That's what I'd like, too! I LOVE cartoony stuff, and I really want to delve into the skill better! I'll keep working on that, and the realistic stuff. I do like both, and I like trying to work on both things. Thanks so much!

--

Here's a kitty, little cheerful kitty that I'm just done with. XD I didn't fix her up; I got lazy and tired. :3

Attachment 148499

This next part is quick and incomplete. I just got an idea today, after seeing a new CHOW after the strange TBA chow--a ghastly apparition! I wanted to try it out, see how far it would take me! It was around the time a HUGE truck brought top soil to the house! I didn't even have time to capture it unloading the soil. Yet I had time to think of dirty mafia-dressed "things" who were probably people once. But they visit this girl who is innocently (but frustratingly) reading at the library.

She can't see them. I guess this library was once a hideout for really mucky characters.

Well, in this progress, I wanted to get the idea going, and some of the colours. Not the colours and effects that would make one think "apparition" OR "ghastly", yet. But I drew an off sketch, and it doesn't look like the sketch exactly. But hey! It's getting somewhere.

Attachment 148500

Attachment 148501

Attachment 148502

one of them will have a stump with one finger.
    Attachment 148503

Okay, I'll welcome pretty much anything.

Thanks
    nice poses! looks like its going pretty well for you mate . Hope too see more work from you as soon as possible.
    This thread is inspiring too me and everytime i´ve watched it im very eager too start sketching on my figure drawings again.
    Would you care too watch some of my work? im pretty new here on CA so i could need some advice
    Also check out my 2 pieces of work in progress
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=98860
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=98766

Thanks
    Wow, thank you, armetage!! You have some amazing stuff there! I'll take a better look in your SB! I'm happy to inspire you some!! ^__^

Thanks
    Just some more work on the lonely creature kid. I followed the advice about his form and the blanket over it, AND I'm working on the hues for hair and the blanket! I'm almost scared with the hair! I don't quite know what I want to add. Though I did add some slightly different colours!

Attachment 148626

Attachment 148627

Attachment 148628

Thanks
    Everything's coming along nicely, Jazz. The library painting is cool. I like the colors you've chosen for the woman's skin. The other characters look cool too. Man, that's a weird concept. I can't wait to see where it goes. The taily kid is looking great, too. Time for a background?
    ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"
    - _andreas_ - brunopicinini - funfetus - Suarezart -

Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast