Sketchbook: Jazz' Junk Draw' (Practice Enviro update, Aug 6, 2011) - Page 6

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hee hee! Thanks a lot, Bruno! True, they're still rough around the edges...and inside them, too. >_< Whenever I make just one line, it's as if I used the "Liquify" tool from Photoshop. XD I'll try again, though. ^_^

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh! I replied yesterday, but I must've forgotten to hit send!

Anyway -- great work, Jazz. The life drawings look good, especially the last one where you did the shading. If you want to make the torso look like it's leaning forward, you probably need to put less shading on it, so that it looks like the surface is more fully in the light. It does seem like you have some proportion issues, particularly the leg on the second one. Remember to measure all the parts against each other.

The sketches from imagination are cool, too. Some of them look a little stiff in the spine, though. Time to potato sack it! Use the construction of the potato sack to understand the torso twists and folds, and PUSH it.

Keep drawing!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"
    - _andreas_ - brunopicinini - funfetus - Suarezart -

4. The Following User Says Thank You to funfetus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, seems i'm not the only one who is missing posts in this thread! 100% sure I made a reply, but i cant see it now lol

Hey Jazz, everything ok these days? Good sketching, fetus already pointed out the anatomy issues so not going to bother My favorite one is the lady in red, really well done Keep it up, Shea

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Must...post!! >_< So sorry that I haven't! I really took off time!

funfetus: That is AWESOME! Potato sack it!! Yeah, I think I'll try that! ^_^ Thanks for the advice and the visuals!! I'll try to measure better. I should probably attempt to get closer sometimes. That might help me.

shea: It's been hectic lately. Since my job and a BUNCH of family and friend-related stuff (and school, ugh.), I've been frazzled. But I'd been sketching things, just not to my expectations. Thanks a bunch! ^_^

----

So, as said above, it's been hectic. Look at how long it took me to post in here! Seems like I'm less dedicated, but I feel really guilty for not being able to participate so much. I'll just show a few things from the past...several days. Not much this time! I have stuff today, but I'll wait to show 'em! Bah to no colouring yet! >_<

Playing with MS Paint and Photoshop. Sometimes I go overboard with overlapping lines and such. I ruin the picture! But some parts manage to stay in tact.
    Name:  july19theMale.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  61.1 KB

Name:  devin_mane.gif
Views: 280
Size:  14.4 KB

Name:  july28summerGirl.gif
Views: 280
Size:  9.7 KB

This one is quite similar to whisper_wm's Red Poem, that I got the honour and drawing. I guess that could be another try at her face.
    Name:  july28rplady.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  38.5 KB

Poses I did, in which most of them are of people on the ferry.
    Name:  july28poses1.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  35.8 KB

I liked the lips. The proportions and pose are strange otherwise. o_O
    Name:  july28poses2.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  39.9 KB

Name:  july28poses3.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  32.9 KB

Name:  july28poses4.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  38.6 KB

Faces. Really, this is crap. But I kind of like how parts of the facial structures turned out!
    Name:  july28faces.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  39.7 KB

I made up a character for a story I'm finally writing. I made some heads but I just didn't upload them.
    Name:  cheva.gif
Views: 281
Size:  16.3 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Jazz, have you been studying anatomy? I see such a difference in your work.
    You go, girl.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alesoun!! I haven't seen you in a while! I gotta stop by your SB!

Thanks SO much! I've been doing a lot of live stuff, but only briefly, people on the ferry to and from work! ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been busy and reaally blocked, Jazz! I'm trying to see what I can do on the CHOW thread for Gangus. Only my second ever acrylic painting, though, so my hopes aren't too high on that!
    Looks to me that the way you see things is changing......

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, Jazz. A few of the heads on this update are on a whole other level. The first, second, and especially the girls with the glasses, are excellent. The glasses girl reads really well as a top view, and the first couple of heads have excellent form.

Your gestures are still looking a bit stiff. Try using one or two long, flowing lines to get down the overall "swing" of the figure. Check out this Glenn Vilppu material for some examples.

Excellent progress! I know you don't have a lot of time, but keep posting when you can, it's great to see.

ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

b-daaaayy... >:(

GAAAAH!!!! I HATE WHEN THE NET SCREWS UP MY POST!!!!

I had this freakin' nice post and NOW IT'S GONE!!

*sigh*

Well I'll reiterate. I'm 27 today, now with a vein throbbing in my head.

alesoun: I hate the blocked feeling. But I'm rooting for you with the CHOW!! I think it's so awesome that you're doing it!

funfetus: Thanks a lot regarding the faces and expressions! I actually have that link, and I think I got it from you a while ago!! But I forgot about it, so thanks for reminding me! Gah, will I never slip out of the stiffness? ;_;

---

Phew...-_- These ones are the rest of my last batch. I have more but I'll worry about them later.

Poses.
    Name:  july31poses1.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  31.6 KB

Name:  july31poses2.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  56.7 KB

Name:  july31poses3.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  40.2 KB

I loved this one. People (not just kids) were playing on a wave sculpture. They were climbing, sliding, stumbling...heh! You name it! Not supposed to climb it, but we do it anyway. *shame/fun* ^_^
    Name:  july31poses4.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  50.3 KB

Character drawings are always so personal. The second one is of a character I had for a few years. I got such surprisingly unhelpful crits from great artists, that I was discouraged with even showing my characters. Now I draw heads. I just hope I have their expressions decent.
    Name:  july31faces1.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  59.8 KB

Name:  july31faces2.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  62.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Happy birthday, Jazz! (I just hit 28 myself, so I've got you beat. Or you've got me beat. )

Good work -- your sketches are showing more looseness now, and the poses are getting better. The first figure on the second page in particular has a nice feel to it. It's always good to get some action going on between the hips and the shoulders. "Contrapposto", I think it's called.

The characters look cool. Your "constructed" heads are always pretty good. I notice that there's a lot of sketchiness going on in the lines, though. I'd suggest working out your structure very lightly and then, when you know for sure where you're going to put your final line, "ghost" it over the page a few times, tracing the line without putting your pencil down, then hit that one line nice and smooth.

Good to see you still posting, Jazz -- keep it up!

ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, funfetus! Thanks a lot for the "ghosting" and "Contrapposto" advice!! I think I've grown a habit of drawing every line with GREAT contrast so I could see what I was doing. o_o Only more lately have I been lighting things up, letting my eyes adjust. So I'll try again! ...Doesn't help that I used a medium-thick pen. Heh. XD

Oooooh, and thank you for the b-day wish!! ^____^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Compelling facial expressions in post #159! They look like what a classical animator would do. Impressed you tried different head angles with expressions. I think I'll try that as an exercise sometime.

That kidbot/Pinochio-like design you have in post #149 looks interesting. Is that his pet bird? I like to call the bird Chirpy for some reason. I'd be curious too see how you can draw him in different gestures. His designs looks kinda fun to pose. I like the big smile head next to him too. Maybe another sidekick?

Since you do a lot of gesture drawings, have you tried using a soft, dull pointed graphite? Try it out. Make swooshing lines for the line of action and flow.

checkout this artist's work: http://www.drawingforce.com/gallery/...g_gallery.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot, FlipMcgee!! Hee hee!! I'm not sure if the bird is a pet or not, but he could be! Chirpy?? Ha ha ha! I bet he'd hate that name, all the more reason to call him that! XD

I have yet to try softer graphite. Maybe I should take a look at the art store for some! And that art in the link you sent is REALLY good! So interesting!!

---

This has been a taxing week. I bet I've said "taxing" more than enough. Always discouraging myself, never looking to see how I'm progressing. Well, tonight I feel as though I really have been making steps forward! Even with the bit of time I have to draw things.

I don't have time to COLOUR things yet, but BOY do I miss colouring with my tablet. >_< While I'm still REALLY busy (actually, seems like I'll never truly have rest), I'll show more sketches from the ferry, and some just conjured up in my head!

Name:  aug07pose1.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  30.7 KB

Name:  aug07pose2.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  37.8 KB

Name:  aug07pose3.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  37.9 KB

This is supposed to be a character, but I couldn't think of her costume, so she's still naked.
    Name:  aug07reylee.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  27.6 KB

Name:  aug09boys.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  34.4 KB

I gave up after the weirdly angled head tilt. Heh.
    Name:  aug09heads.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  30.6 KB

No idea...but I liked using the red!
    Name:  aug09lady.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  41.9 KB

Name:  aug10pose.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  22.4 KB

Didn't really want to show this one because of the hideous faces. BUT, I do kinda like how the legs are shaped. Proportion is still strange, so I need more references and just more practice. Heh...remind me to look at snouts and muzzles some more. XD I was never one to do that. Shame. -_-
    Name:  aug10chars.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  77.4 KB

This costume must be the best one I made in a looooong while. I sure need help!!
    Name:  aug10dressy.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  52.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great update, Jazz! Your life-sketches are looking better and better, and your characters look good as always. I really like the first and second pages. Really natural poses. You mentioned problems with proportion -- the thing I'm seeing most is that you tend to draw arms too long. The elbow should hit right at the navel level if the arm is hanging straight down. If the arm is up or out or whatever, just imagine swinging it down to the side in an arc, and see if the elbow lines up right. You also tend to draw heads too short from front-to-back. Everyone seems to do that for a while -- I still do it when sketching from life sometimes. The head, in profile, should fit approximately into a square, not counting the nose and chin. Also, bring the flesh under the jaw down a bit. Your jawline is right, but the flesh rounds out a bit below the bone. Everything else about those faces looks good, though.

By the way, I finished Cowboy Bebop -- thanks for the recommendation, it was pretty good. I'm watching Evangelion now -- you kinda got me restarted on the anime.

Anyway, keep it up, Jazz -- you're doing great, and it's good to see you posting when you can.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot, funfetus! I really appreciate you showing me where the problem areas lie! Yeah, I keep forgetting how long the head is in profile! As for the arms, I normally do the arch rotation thing! How weird! I guess I was doing it right! I also think I forgot to do it this time. -_-; And I think I got some wrong info from somewhere about where the elbow should start! Hate when that happens.

Awesome about the poses looking more natural! I'm on my way!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    took a quick look through the sb and very nice progress

Sketchbook :: Blog

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OldNoobie, thank you so much!! ^_^ I'm glad to have a visitor after my being absent!

---

The weeks have been quite busy and hectic! I'm surprised the scribbles I'll be showing you even make sense! It's not been my favourite few weeks for progress, but here we go!

Oh, and I'll be taking figure drawing class again! Hooray!! ^_^ What are some good drawing mediums...graphite...something'r'others? Kneaded erasers? If you guys have an idea, I'd love to know!

The only real colouring I did lately...well, except something I put up on DA. I was just too bleh to refine it.
    Name:  aug17something.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  29.1 KB

Many of these are just done on days that MAY have been the 21st, but I can't remember. XD I'd been rushing, especially on the poses because I sketched them a couple minutes before everybody got onto the ferry. Once they start runnin'... Anyway, not happy with these, overall. But some are pretty nice.
    Name:  aug20poses.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  56.4 KB

Name:  aug21letsGo.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  40.6 KB

Name:  aug21meanBoy.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  33.3 KB

Name:  aug21animeFaces.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  53.9 KB

Name:  aug21shatare.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  40.3 KB

Name:  aug21poses.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  65.3 KB

Name:  aug21things.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  44.4 KB

Name:  aug21bigLips.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  35.7 KB

Name:  aug24poses1.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  40.7 KB

Name:  aug24poses2.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  57.0 KB

Name:  aug24eye.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  24.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good drawing media? Pencil, charcoal, chalk, pastels,- whatever floats your boat!

My daughter did a portrait in cosmetics on cartridge paper last year that impressed the Hell out of me.......

......until I realised she'd used MY make-up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, alesoun! Mmmm, I suppose I'll just have a good pick of some different mediums!

Ha ha!! Oh gosh, that's hilarious about the make-up!! XD You know, that would be neat to try! One day, when I have money to burn, I'll get some cheap stuff and see what I create! I could sure use some interesting backgrounds. XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If she hasn't thrown it away I'll post it in my sketchbook for you to see later (if she'll let me) The point is that there are all sorts of things to make marks with,- and variety's the spice of life.

I love seeing the way your confidence is growing in your work. All that hard work is certainly paying off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey buddy!!
    damm, you are a drawing machine, that reminds me that I should draw more hehe

I like your studies ... have you tried doing some more in-depth anatomy studies?

BEst
    Bruno

"Dream is not what you see while sleeping ...
    It is the thing which does not let you sleep. "

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Bruno! Great to see ya!

Goodness, I haven't done in-depth anatomy studies, mainly because I couldn't for a while. I hadn't made time to. Now I really want to make some time because I haven't touched such studies, plus I haven't coloured or shaded anything worth showing a pidgeon.

--

And so, this art dump makes me unhappy, for it's the last slew of utter crap after weeks of thinking I'll do something more. No, I didn't get to do more. I worry that I'm getting discouraged by seeing the work of other artists. They do so much good colouring, and I can't seem to do it now. I'm not sure how to get back into feeling good about my art.

Me trying coloured pencils right now is a bad idea. For one thing, when I try to colour stuff traditionally, I have a bad habit of throwing all proportion out of the window. The thing I'm okay with is that I decided to use some different colours, even though I didn't BEGIN to begin a good colouring process.
    Name:  aug29colouredPencil.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  21.7 KB

More ferry poses. This has ended for now, since the job is over. Wheee!! But it was a happy job. I'll miss it.
    Name:  aug29poses.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  53.6 KB

Name:  aug29poses2.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  59.4 KB

Name:  aug31poses.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  62.1 KB

I wanted to remind myself: I can draw girls somehow! Even ones like this. o_O
    Name:  aug30girl.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  53.0 KB

I also wanted to remind myself: I can draw things a little more dynamic; I needn't be afraid to try.
    Name:  aug30hesMagic.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  71.2 KB

Ohhhh yes, this one. The woman again. Short calves...is that how you spell it? Again. XD But for once I was practicing with female heads. So that was cool.
    Name:  aug31faces.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  65.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jazz, all it will take to improve your colour work is practice! Don't be scared of it. If you mess up, crumple it up and start again. Every mistake is a lesson learned.

Check back in your sketchbook and see just how far you've come....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you have a lot of good work here, would like to see some finished characters, wish i could paint hair like you, thx for the crit on the ship

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude you are improving!! practice does indeed help hu?

your drawings are getting a way better feeling than before ... have you try doing more life studies?

best regards

"Dream is not what you see while sleeping ...
    It is the thing which does not let you sleep. "

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, DUDE! Keep on drawing!
    They do so much good colouring, and I can't seem to do it now.
    Maybe try a simpler colouring technique? Nothing wrong with flat colouring a la comics style. Trying out unfamiliar methods might help get the enthusiasm back. Do you use Color Balance much in Photoshop? It's a good adjustment tool to use to preview different colour relationships.

I find that funky portrait of a girl you did in post #147 to be interesting and so with the backsided figure drawing in #172. Sexy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see steady improvement, Jazz. Your life gestures are getting better -- looser, more lifelike. Everything else is coming along steadily, too. Don't worry too much about coloring right now. I'm realizing more and more lately that there are kind of "levels" to all this stuff, and each one builds off the previous. Color is one of the later levels. You really need to have solid drawing, with a good knowledge of form and plane changes, plus a good understanding of value before you can make color work. So just keep working on your drawing, and studying anatomy, and it'll come eventually.

The faces on the last page look really good. May I suggest that you get a small mirror, and do studies from your own face? I've been doing that a lot lately, and I'm learning lots of little things that totally eluded me before.

ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a no-picture update because I have nothing worth looking at. Yes, me, the one who's like, "Oh, I'm sure no matter WHAT you put down, it'll be cool with us!" I'm a hypocrite. I'll show some stuff later, though. You guys, and friends all around, have really given me a sense of hope with my drawings! I just want to do things better.

alesoun, you're so right. o_o Thank you!! I really should look back and see how I've progressed. I tend to forget that I AM improving, while I want to keep going.

schlichte, thanks a lot! Yeah, I'd love to finish some stuff up. It's just hard. -_- But there must be SOMETHING I can complete! You're welcome about the crit! Glad to help!

bruno, thank you!! ^_^ I'm my own worst critic yet again. I just don't try to see how far I've come. I really don't notice. >_< I'm soon going to work of life studies again. At the moment I'm making sure school and stuff is taken care of. But I'm going to definitely make time for figure drawing.

FlipMacgee, thanks a lot!! Yes, I think I'll try some other colouring style soon. I just have to do some practice, I suppose. Maybe though, as funfetus said, I should work on tone and such first. I'm having trouble with it. But still...I long to colour! LOL! And hee hee...glad you like those sketches!! ^___^

funfetus, thank you!! o_o That's a really good idea, especially since I get myself overwhelmed with several levels of improvement. I get to a point where I don't know whether I'm coming or going! So maybe I'll take my time with anatomy and form. Also with clothing "anatomy", so to speak. I haven't drawn decent clothes YET!! XD Now that I have my easel, I think it'll be a bit easier for me to work on portrait practice. So I'll definitely try your idea!

This week, I think I'll just work on a bunch of poses from Pose Maniacs...at least till my homework gets done. Oy!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, missy, you've slacked long enough. Let's see some art!

ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, funfetus. :3 Hee hee!! ^_^ I have a good excuse of why I haven't shown anything.

SCHOOL!! You wouldn't believe how much work there is to do: five subjects; one slew of co-op job applications; student loan issues; figure drawing class!! I'm about to show everyone my first day (back, after 2 years) at that class! PS: I was sitting down, looking sort of UP at the model. What a neat angle! Makes people look so...superior!!

But first...here's the only thing I managed to colour. How sad that I can't colour yet. I know, I should probably wait till the drawing part is going well, but still! -_-
    Name:  sep17lad_fin.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  54.9 KB

Now, these sketches aren't exactly in order, save for the last three, that's for certain. The rest--there should be 30-second, 1-minute, 2-min and 3-min sketches. I had to freak out the picture shape and dimensions in photoshop, because I took the pictures on an angle.
    Name:  sep19figure01.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  80.8 KB

Name:  sep19figure02.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  86.7 KB

Name:  sep19figure03.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  91.2 KB

Name:  sep19figure04.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  76.8 KB

Name:  sep19figure05.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  85.8 KB

Name:  sep19figure06.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  72.1 KB

Name:  sep19figure07.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  73.9 KB

Name:  sep19figure08.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  68.8 KB

Now these last ones are 20 minutes each, though the last one was 15 minutes. I didn't have much time to do anymore with the shading, but it was enough to get the idea across!
    Name:  sep19figure09.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  104.6 KB

Name:  sep19figure10.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  78.1 KB

Name:  sep19figure11.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  78.6 KB

Last edited by Jazz; September 21st, 2007 at 10:41 PM.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3