Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Jazz' Junk Draw' (Practice Enviro update, Aug 6, 2011)

Thanks
    First of all, if you're having trouble with eyes, then have I got a treat for you: http://sevencamels.blogspot.com/2007...l-on-eyes.html
    I just read this last week, and it was REALLY helpful. I actually bought the book in question, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. Anyway, read through that, and draw along with it. I'd also suggest drawing some eyes REALLY BIG, so you have room to put in all the detail. I know for the longest time I never really learned eyes, because I never drew them big enough to need to.

Okay, comments/crits:

The blue-haired girl -- nice! The hair looks good, and the whole thing has good form to it. One thing that's bothering me, though, is the lack of different hues. It looks like you're taking one color for the skin, one for the hair, etc., and just raising and lowering the value. Throw some other colors in there -- put some purple in the shadows, some red around the nose and cheeks, etc. Go wild.

The life sketches are good. It's hard to get people when they're not looking away, isn't it? Most of mine are like that, too.

Keep it up with those head planes, that's important stuff. To help with your problem there, the head, when viewed from profile, fits roughtly into a square, with the nose, lips and chin protruding a bit:
    ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"
    - _andreas_ - brunopicinini - funfetus - Suarezart -
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanks for the help, funfetus! I'll try to go through that blog entry. As for the colour in the girl, I actually tried to put some other hues in (like some green and yellow for highlights), but last night I was just too tired. I'll keep in mind about more colours nonetheless.

Hee hee! Where I was sitting in the doctor's office, everyone was TOO close! And most of the interesting ones were turned away in front of me!

I'll keep up with the planes, thank you! And thanks for the visual on the head's profile! That'll be helpful. I wanted to compare it to the width of the head in front-view. Once I have a good enough idea of that, I think I'll feel better about heads!

Thanks
    You're making a lot of progress Jazz, just keep it up. One piece advice: I know I say this a lot, but you try drawing with a lighter hand, and don't scratch a line into existence, let your hand move farther along before you stop. Build it up! try it!

Thanks
    great stuff. a lot of variety. its cool to see you progress through diff pieces. that baby girl stands out particularly. great work! i like the cartoon style as well, it would be cool to see you push the realistic paint look in your cartoon characters.

Thanks
    I have no drawings right now! ;_; I feel better today, so I'll just respond to you guys!

mentalSherpa: Thank you for the suggestion! Lines are some of my toughest parts to improve on. I'm heavy-handed; I think it's made of rock or something!

kawakaze: Thanks so much!! I'm glad you like both the realistic and cartoony styles! I'm actually on my way to trying a little more realism with the cartoony. But I'll always have a heart for those crazy lines! Hopefully I can stay into a few cartoony types! ^_^

Today might be a good day to show some characters I'm working on, and to show you all just how crummy my char clothing is. Ha! It'll be tough because I'll be showing my own characters, and I haven't shaken the habit of "They MY babies!! ._. Leave 'em ALONE!!" but I think, after all this great advice, I could sure use a push with them, too!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzW View Post
    mentalSherpa: Thank you for the suggestion! Lines are some of my toughest parts to improve on. I'm heavy-handed; I think it's made of rock or something!
    I used to have that problem as well -- I'd dig deep grooves into the paper. Are you holding your pencil like you'd hold it to write? Like straight up and down, gripping near the tip, drawing with little motions of your wrist and fingers? Try holding it farther up the shaft, with a loose grip, kinda laying it sideways on the paper. Actually, here: http://www.drawyourworld.com/grip.html -- but try holding it higher up than they show there. It takes a little getting used to, but it allows for more flowing lines, because you'll use more of your arm and less of your wrist and fingers.
    Last edited by funfetus; May 24th, 2007 at 08:25 PM.
    ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"

Thanks
    i really love your digital drawings, the girl from the photo ist to die for
    and i also like the drawing of the girl with the black hair
    unfortunately i never did digital drawings but you seem to have huge talent for it
    like funfetus said you should practice drawing eyes, especially the area of the eye closer to the nose, there's a thing you always miss out... don't know how it's called
    there's a lot improvement in your sketches, keep drawing

b

Thanks
    Drawing less exciting things is definitively paying off! I mean, the studies are looking good. Try to add some more contrast on the digital one, and sharpen the edges a little bit. I think the nose looks fine if you fix the mouth, turn it a bit. Keep up the good work Jazz!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    GREAT news about the interview, Jazz! The very best of luck to you! You've come a long way since you started, and don't worry about mistakes; every one you make takes you a step further forward!

Thanks
    funfetus: Thanks a bunch for the link! I'll have to rely more on the picture, because the writing, at least today, sort of went over my head and across the moon. Ha ha! But I tried drawing a bit lighter with the pencil, gliding it. It is SO hard! What I tend to do is use my wrist a lot, though I do hold the pencil at an angle. Then when a part stresses me out, I start to turn it more perpendicular to the page.

zwergi: Thank you for the comments! I do have to figure out the whole eye and eyebrow structure, because I find those places have strange angles that I have yet to tackle. So it's been frustrating, especially when bringing in the nose!

Sheavolution: Hmm! All this time I thought the unexciting stuff was bringing my imagination down! Ha ha! I'm actually glad to hear that it helps me out! Thank you! ^_^ I'll try working on the girl again, since I'm feeling more awake than I did while drawing her then!

alesoun: Thank you SO much! Your encouragement means a lot! And you're totally right about mistakes! Enough of them, and I'm sure I won't feel half as bad about making them as I do! Ha ha! I certainly need to remember that there's something to challenge me still!

---

I mentioned characters, but I got really nervous, so I'll wait until I get more confidence in some areas. THEN I'll show some characters of mine! Tonight I'm tired. It's good that I don't have to post stuff every day, because I think I need a good little break from showing my crud sketches!

This afternoon and evening I worked in more frustration. I really believe this is NOT my week. But here are some things I just did...

More face planes and little faces. Actually, in this case, I was seeing how much of my memory kicked in. I think I'm missing something, but I don't know WHAT. Also, I was bored, so I wanted to practice tilting the male's head.
    Attachment 143043

I attempted to make a woman's face, but it came out skewed. Ah well, maybe next time.
    Attachment 143045

This is actually just a doodle. I randomly thought of it and started drawing some weird dragon baby thing. All she has are claws and a tail. Ha! I don't even know how to draw babies yet. XD
    Attachment 143042

Another model picture. I really like the models for their muscles, and many times the angle of their poses.
    Attachment 143044

As funfetus reminded me of the difference in using one colour and using many colours, I just thought I'd really show myself a difference. But...I didn't have to make the ball bumpy. XD Oh well again! It feels alive!! So I used some blue-purple (indigo? maybe?), some red/pink, some...greenish colour, yellow, pale peach. And that sandy brown is somewhere in there. I should learn not to go overboard!
    Attachment 143046

--

PS: In case anyone wants to download the Loomis books, I did get a link from another forum thread: http://acid.noobgrinder.com/Loomis/

I wasn't sure if I was supposed to mention it. Kick me if not! But the books help me out!

Thanks
    Hey buddy

Glad you have joined the group =)
    now to the crits:

Well, your studies are paying off but some of them, even though it is a study, I believe you could make them more finished ... sometimes it seens you just trz to hard what zou don’t know with some sketchy lines hehe (don’t worry, I do that a lot hehe ... someone mentioned to me that a really good way to learn is try to finish every piece, so you raelly know what is wrong)

Yeah, you are still having some troubles with the head but i believe you are on the right track ... I mean, there is a clear progress in the process

Hahaha, your anime charachter of yourself came out really good! I bet you look exactly like that!

I dunno what happened to the female face in post 62 but it sure came out wrong hehehe ... maybe you looked more to the paper than to the photo? Maybe you measure it out wrongly? I thing sometimes help me to think (I never done it because it would take too long) what would happen if I measured EVERYTHING with a ruler? And I mean everything, distance of nose to eye, eye to eyebrown, width of eye, etc etc etc ... Well, thats what we need to do but without a ruler. Try to pay more attention to angles and do the first part of sketch only with straight lines to really get the angles right.

Yeah, that sphere with more colour came out beautiful ..

Keep up!
    Best regards!
    "Dream is not what you see while sleeping ...
    It is the thing which does not let you sleep. "

Thanks
    I know the language on that link I posted is a bit...impenetrable...but it's really worth it to take some time and puzzle it out, because it points out a lot of details that you probably won't notice just by looking at the pictures. It's stuff I never noticed, and I think it's made a difference in my drawing already.

Now, that bumpy ball looks DELICIOUS. You see what I'm talking about? You certainly don't have to go THAT crazy, though there's no reason you shouldn't, as long as it looks good. A good rule of thumb is to put a bit of the local color's complimentary color into the shadows. So if the object is orange (or light red-brown-pink, like caucasian skin is) then put some blue or purple or something like that into the shadows. You remember your color wheel, right?

That woman's face is a little weird. I think it's the jaw and chin. It's too much of an angle, and comes to too sharp a point. Some of the features are a little off-center, too. The dragon baby is really cool.

As for your head studies, they all look good, except that one -- you know which one -- the bottom planes study. The chin definitely shouldn't just out so far. The nose is by far the most protruding structure on the face. After that, it recedes in "steps" until you get to the chin.
    ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"

Thanks
    brunopicinini, thank you for the thorough crit! Ahhh, I'm thinking practice will again make perfect, as I make incomplete things when I'm tired. Possibly I even worry about the finished product being a waste of time. I should probably throw that thought out of the window, if I really want to continue.

Tee hee! Thanks about the heads progress, and my little anime-ish 'me'! I don't get to have much fun with cartoony stuff these days.

As for the woman's face, in all truth I have yet to actually study the woman's face in depth. I've only been working on the man's face. Slowly. There's no photo ref, but I wanted to try and remember how the man's face was structured, and soften it up for the woman's face. Didn't turn out the way I'd hoped. I've even done measurements, but I think at that time it was like sanding off chunks when I measured. >_< I'm actually going to try starting off with the lines next time, to get a good idea of where they could curve and soften.

funfetus: Yello there! Thanks a lot for the advice! I'll give it a try today, to read through that article and see if the wording is more straight-forward to me today.

Thanks about the ball!! I recall learning that tip about shadows, and yes! The colour wheel is well. I'll give a better try with some more colour practice!

Heh heh...I probably should've tried harder with the woman's face. XD I totally noticed the skewedness and the odd angular chin. But I didn't know what to do with it! Hee hee! For now though, I'll work with the ladies as I'm working with the guys. I'll try to get them all down a little better. Thanks about the dragon baby!

And for the profile face, thank YOU! My goodness, I have so much trouble with the chin and nose part! Seeing it in "steps" as you drew it, it's making more sense to me. I'll make sure to work on that, because I just love profile headshots and I wanna make a good one!

---

Nothing right now. But I think I'll do some work on the faces again. Mmm...I'm a little overwhelmed with ONE little interview. Which isn't so little. I need a summer job! ;_; It's tomorrow, so here's hoping!

Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast