Sketchbook: Jazz' Junk Draw' (Practice Enviro update, Aug 6, 2011) - Page 4

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I won't be updating tonight. I've been productive with co-op preparation, novice sewing, cleaning my bedroom window, and various other non-productive things! Hee!

Hurley: Thanks so much for your comments! Much appreciated about the job. ^_^ I'll be working on the hues for that picture soon!

Zimzibar: Wow, thank you!! Since I now see that I can do it, I'm certain you'll be improving well, yourself!

Nutter: Thanks! Those poses can be really annoying! XD But hey, it's worth the effort!

kawakaze: Thank you!! Actually, it's funny you mentioned those folds. I found them strange, scattered all over the place. I was surprised that no one mentioned them till now! Hee hee! I'll work on them!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahhhhh
    so much I missed here ...

great update!

your poses are getting better and better ..

the suggestion I was about to give is waht funfetus already told you, play with differente hues on this last drawing like you did with that ball ...

keep drawing!
    best regards

"Dream is not what you see while sleeping ...
    It is the thing which does not let you sleep. "

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bruno, thanks a lot!

Saw Pirates 3 today. I liked it a lot!! XD I dunno, I didn't mind the length! ^_^ Adored the action! Ahhh, Jack and Barbossa... I digress!!

Today, yesterday, whatever other day, I've been sorrowful about...ahem...being noticed. Being interesting enough. But before I wallowed in self-pity, I was inspired by advice from a bunch of you, and the "Cruel Summer" song, to work on a few things.

For the first two, we can omit anatomy crits because I definitely know they're wrong in places. I just felt up to drawing odd things, but they clearly need work. Though I tried to make some clothes for the girl. I hadn't forgotten about the border suggestion! Just didn't worry.
    Name:  may30weirdGirl.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  43.4 KB

Name:  may31badTry.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  57.6 KB

(okay, crits here on in! )

Second, at the library I had a very short-lived desire to capture people from magazines. I only got one.
    Name:  may30class.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  63.4 KB

Third and last, here are a bunch of poses using as basic a set of shapes that I could make. Thanks to all of you who suggested the cylinders and other shapes! With those in mind, I used my imagination, which means I still have to remember proportions and stuff. Simplicity is difficult for me! You can see that I started scribbling within the shapes again! And I also got tired during the third one. Or confused!
    Name:  june01basics1.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  66.9 KB

...Strange goings on in this part!
    Name:  june01basics2.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  93.3 KB

What in the world...?
    Name:  june01basics3.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  67.8 KB

Then again, most of them overall are weird looking.
    Name:  june01basics4.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  82.2 KB

I wasn't up to colouring lately. I think I'll try working on that again soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Nice work experimenting with different poses. I think thats the thing that holds a lot of people back, I see lots of people who render really nicely but the basic pose is too stiff and whatnot. So keep up the good work because your rendering skills are nice as well!

Oh yeah also I like the girl painting a couple posts up as well. Nice texture there, its very well done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awsome poses and great to see u switching it up w every post. in a lot of your stuff it feels like your lower half of the leg (shins?) are cut short. i have found that if u over estimate proportions and start exagerating sometimes it helps define your extremes and can add soem more dynamics to your stances.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey buddy!
    nice up! your pencils must be on fire ...

I like the way you are trying to construct a solid basis for your figures ...

but try in some of these figures go all through the end and put the real stuff on top of all those cylinders ...
    another thing that can help you is buying a transparten paper (do you know which ones? archtects use it a lot) then put them on top of a comic with nices poses and try do draw the cylinders and see how they interact with each other

them, you can add variation:
    1 - you can try to copy the pose, try to add the cylinders in your drawing, and then check with the transparent paper on the original
    2 - you can start with cylinders, then put skin, then check it

you got the ideia ... add variation, don't do the exact same thing always, add variation and make your brain work

best regarsd and keep drawing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the first one! The arms have a nice feel and flow to them, even though the hands get all muddled. It's a cool looking character, too. Kawakaze already mentioned it, but the lower legs are definitely too short. I think that's technically a proportion crit, not an anatomy crit, so I think I can get away with it.

It's good to see you working out some mannequin figures. Don't worry so much about making it look like an art-store mannequin, though. It's probably better if you try to make the "segments" closer to real human shapes -- I drew a quick example. I also threw in the stick-figure skeleton. The point is that you're using these as a frame to build your figures on, so you want them as accurate as possible.

It's definiltely a good start, though. Your poses look good. Keep it up!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"
    - _andreas_ - brunopicinini - funfetus - Suarezart -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, before I thank you guys, I am going to get playfully annoyed because THAT shin issue is the thing I know about! XD I know it's too short! And I haven't yet differentiated between proportion and anatomy, so you CAN'T get away with it yet, funfetus. nyah!

Now that I snapped out about it, hee hee, I can get back to being content. ^_^

---

Clocks: Thank you for the comments! Oh, and thanks for the mention of the girl! ^_^

kawakaze: Thank you for the idea. Since you mentioned more than one short shin issue, now I need to figure out how long the shin is supposed to be!

I'm now confused, because I need to try and work on proportions, as I had been overexaggerating lines earlier. I'm wondering if I should exaggerate anything yet before I know what the proportions are.

bruno: That's an interesting idea with the transparent paper! I'll have to see about doing that later on. Thank you! Now, I'm curious about your mention of variation on the cylinders, firstly because I just started drawing them. Secondly, because I have no idea how to vary a cylinder. Hee hee!

funfetus: I like your skeleton and the basic shapes. :3 Thanks for showing me that. ^_^ Here's where I get literal. When anyone says cylinder, I think "a cylinder", like paper towel tubes. That's why the shapes look as they do. XD So I'll do what I used to do, which is what you're also suggesting, and make it closer to a person's body part shapes.

---

Now I'm curious, because there are a lot of different pieces of advice: Do you suppose I need to lessen the variation in what I'm doing right now? Work in little steps? I'm getting overwhelmed because I don't know what to tackle first, most, or urgently.

Last edited by Jazz; June 3rd, 2007 at 02:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Jazz,

Nice sketchbook. You are trying many different things, and it makes for a colorful and enjoyable thread. I think I like the work on post #16 the best, because it shows you trying different techniques. But, I also think you have a real strength in cartooning that you should build on. (That is just my opinion though.) Your "cartoony" work seems more unique to me than some of your other posts, and is a good direction to go to develop your own "voice". You might want to look at Jon Foster's artwork. He does stylized work, but there are also realistic elements to it as well. I could see you heading in that direction over time.

Best,

K.I.D.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's no fun feeling stressed. Sorry for being a little grumpy, guys.

K.I.D., I was really thinking about what you said!! That's what I'd like, too! I LOVE cartoony stuff, and I really want to delve into the skill better! I'll keep working on that, and the realistic stuff. I do like both, and I like trying to work on both things. Thanks so much!

--

Here's a kitty, little cheerful kitty that I'm just done with. XD I didn't fix her up; I got lazy and tired. :3

Name:  june03kitty.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  59.6 KB

This next part is quick and incomplete. I just got an idea today, after seeing a new CHOW after the strange TBA chow--a ghastly apparition! I wanted to try it out, see how far it would take me! It was around the time a HUGE truck brought top soil to the house! I didn't even have time to capture it unloading the soil. Yet I had time to think of dirty mafia-dressed "things" who were probably people once. But they visit this girl who is innocently (but frustratingly) reading at the library.

She can't see them. I guess this library was once a hideout for really mucky characters.

Well, in this progress, I wanted to get the idea going, and some of the colours. Not the colours and effects that would make one think "apparition" OR "ghastly", yet. But I drew an off sketch, and it doesn't look like the sketch exactly. But hey! It's getting somewhere.

Name:  june04ml.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  50.5 KB

Name:  june04mlA.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  43.7 KB

Name:  june04mlB.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  43.8 KB

one of them will have a stump with one finger.
    Name:  june04mlC.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  44.2 KB

Okay, I'll welcome pretty much anything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice poses! looks like its going pretty well for you mate . Hope too see more work from you as soon as possible.
    This thread is inspiring too me and everytime i´ve watched it im very eager too start sketching on my figure drawings again.
    Would you care too watch some of my work? im pretty new here on CA so i could need some advice
    Also check out my 2 pieces of work in progress
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=98860
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=98766

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, thank you, armetage!! You have some amazing stuff there! I'll take a better look in your SB! I'm happy to inspire you some!! ^__^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just some more work on the lonely creature kid. I followed the advice about his form and the blanket over it, AND I'm working on the hues for hair and the blanket! I'm almost scared with the hair! I don't quite know what I want to add. Though I did add some slightly different colours!

Name:  june04lonely8.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  30.6 KB

Name:  june04lonely9.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  30.9 KB

Name:  june04lonely10.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  32.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everything's coming along nicely, Jazz. The library painting is cool. I like the colors you've chosen for the woman's skin. The other characters look cool too. Man, that's a weird concept. I can't wait to see where it goes. The taily kid is looking great, too. Time for a background?

ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    funfetus, I think you're reading my mind! I do believe it IS time for a background! Now this is my greatest weakness. If I do this, then there IS hope for me!! I'm totally scared.

Thanks about the other concept, too! It's the first time in a good while since I thought of something so imaginative.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its really cool that u post your work in progress, and the changes are so subtle but it just shows how much they make a difference. as far as the hair goes, it looks great if you feel the need to add to your piece, use the hair as a benchmark and bring the rest of it up to the same quality. overall it looks really good though. but yea try adding in a background and that will get your thoughts going and can help w things like adding in more hues to your character from the surrounding environemnt.

w the wrinkles on the blanket, i actually liked the ones u had previous=X your new edition feels somewhat forced as in the character would have to have neatly wrapped the blanket over their leg for it to be so flat on that particular section. try just throwing a blanket on the ground or over an object in some random pile and see how it folds naturally. although it is an inorganic object, the ripples and way it folds over object are organic if that makes sense. those subtle touches of color are very nice tohugh. keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jazz, sorry for my absence last week. But I feel a bit better now! You've been busy, I was writing a whole bunch of comments but noticed much already have been said by others. Must say I like the lonely piece more and more, you did a great job with the hair...

(Yep, I wish Posemaniacs had more men, drawn too much females lately )

Keep it up!

Shea

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kawakaze: Thanks for your input! I'll try once or twice more thing with the blanket, but I'm at the point where I don't want to redo it any more. Too much and I'll just mess myself up! But I see what you're saying. I did it that way so you could see more of the leg beneath, since you mentioned about too many wrinkles and not enough form definition.

Shea: Ah, there's no need for apologies! I'm glad you're feeling better! ^_^ Thanks about the lonely picture!

--

Right now, I'm working on that apparition piece. I'm worried about some things, not regarding the art so much. Mostly about finding work. So I'll probably sound frazzled here and there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzW View Post
    funfetus, I think you're reading my mind! I do believe it IS time for a background! Now this is my greatest weakness. If I do this, then there IS hope for me!! I'm totally scared.
    God, me too. Especially any kind of architecture or vehicles. I've really pretty much always "faked" them. I'm just getting to the point where I feel like I need to get down and dirty with perspective and everything. I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with this one. Good luck! We'll be here to support you.

ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vehicles will definitely come later for me! Hee hee! I have so much trouble with perspective, too. I want to tackle it and really understand it.

Thank you, I really appreciate your guys' support. ^__^ You've been more than helpful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't do much lately. I've been worried about work and the big scholarship that I WANT...never less than I need. I NEED that.

So, here's the piddly stuff that I worked on!

First off, I sort of copied funfetus, but only for one try. Shame on me! But I worked on one pair o' lips! I'll have to put the original pic up, or some of it. IT'S NOT MY IMAGE! Just...can't find the original. I had to blow it up, but it's the normal size here. If you see it online, it should be called 284404run.jpg!
    Name:  284404run.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  14.8 KB Name:  june05focus.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  11.6 KB

I tried the eye again, but just a sketch. I think I like the iris most. XD
    Name:  june05eye.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  29.8 KB

I worked on the girl and the big ugly "queen pin" here. I got tired and decided to wait and work on the creepy guy later. Awww, that competition is cancelled, but I'll still do something with this. Right now it's still about the colours just showing the characters. But no effects on colour yet.
    Name:  june04mlE.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  44.6 KB

Oh, and I had this idea because of music again! It's a cursed prince. He's supposed to look young, but...cursed. XD That'll be tough right now, but I'll try! Any crits I'll take to help! Oh, I worked on it at 50%, but this is 65 so you can see it better!
    Name:  june06theCursed.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  52.1 KB

Name:  june06theCursedA.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  60.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great update, Jazz!

First of all, I'm certainly not the first guy to do studies of body parts from reference photos, so don't feel like you're copying! That's something all artists should do, I think. Now go do 100 more. (It came out really good.)

Your library picture is coming along well. Your color selections are great -- you've really got the hang of working different hues into the local color. The woman's shirt looks all satiny, too. Great work.

By the way, what the hell kind of music are you listening to, coming up with this stuff? That cursed prince looks good, too. It's still pretty blurry, but the anatomy looks pretty solid. One suggestion I have, though, is to try to work out your light source early on in your sketch, and get your masses nailed down. It'll help out a lot when you get further in.

ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, thanks a bunch, funfetus!!

Yes, the reference photo is a good idea! I never look at an element of them. I always try copying the whole thing! XD That's my problem! So I'll try 100 lips and eyes and...well, everything! Ha!

Wow, thanks about the library picture!! I'm trying not to choose too many hues that aren't from the current palette of colours, unless it's time for a little more variation!

As for the music...hee hee!! Let's just say there are some really good freebie songs out there! One I listened to for this was called Tokyo Dusk. I associate notes with colour, but this time I actually USED that association! I'm going to get into the detail and sharpen the picture soon! So I'll follow your advice about getting the masses and light source down right away. I have an idea. A sort of ruin/cave with a strong light outside. Not sun strong exactly, but bright moon strong? (and also I'll look for a reference of that sort of angle. I was guessing there!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey jazzw, what's up?

so, regarding the variation I've mentioned, it is not variation in the cylinders (although you can vary and make a cube cylinder! )
    is variating the start order ... like first, see the pose and try to draw it, then check with the transparent paper .... then in other pose you can first check with the transparent paper and after that try to draw it

nice stuff you are doing man!

just the study you did for the mouth, I like when I am doing this kind of study I prefer doing for example 10 mouths in 30 minutes than doing 3 mouths in 30 minutes ... of course you need both, but for me works better mileage in lots of different types and views than just some with a very clean rendering!

best regards!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heeello. I think that Cursed Prince piece is really coming along nicely! I like the mood set with all the blues. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

That sucks about the CHOW being cancelled, I saw a lot of people turned in entries for that but then it was all scratched. Are you entering in this weeks CHOW then?

Oh yeah and I like the studies, very realistic! If I had to crit it then I would say the upper lip looks a little too big. It's hard to tell with the picture being so small though, so maybe not. It turned out well either way though so keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had quite a 180 these past couple days. One day I was feeling down about everything, not confident enough, then the next, I just drew. Well, I drew the other day, too. But I really felt burned down. I'm so glad I could talk to my best buddy about it. She really cheered me up, and she's right about something: I get competitive when I really needn't. I mean, I don't mind trying to get as good AS people. But then I try getting better THAN people, and that's no good. Goes for job finding and art. Just me wanting to be noticed so badly.

It's brought me to a low. You may or may not see that low every time I post around such a time, but I surely don't mind mentioning it. Now again, I want to do my best, but I wanna be awesome at it! And I want to share my triumphant leap with other artists, NOT compete (all the time).

Heyo, Bruno! Cube cylinder...oooooh... o_o Thanks for your comments, I appreciate them greatly! So, for that variation, you're saying try the pose on trace paper and check for accuracy, and try another pose, sort of trace it first and then try to draw that pose elsewhere? Something like that? As far as the mouth, it's not that I don't like doing more than one. I just don't always feel like doing so much drawing or studying. I'll probably do more studies later. BUT, I did more sketches yesterday. ^_^

Clocks, thank you! I probably won't join the next CHOW, mainly because of the days I've had. I don't have time for an attempt yet. That lip picture was weird, because the top lip is actually rather small, but his mouth is open just a touch, and the angle makes it all shaded. So I threw myself off trying to shade both parts correctly! The top lip probably IS too big, regardless! XD

----

Now, here's how my journey through "love thyselfdom" went. First, I tried to draw one night, and it just didn't click.
    Name:  june07badSketches.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  73.1 KB

I got mad at the drawings. I was feeling bad for a while, but again, got cheered up. Today, I was happy to get out of the house. What a nice day it was, too!! I was getting documents to help in my scholarship application.

So, went on the bus. Saw passengers, like this one:
    Name:  june08busSketch.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  49.3 KB

After the document getting, a raspberry sorbetto and sketchbooks, I took to the busiest street I could lazily find! Here's what I got:
    Name:  june08street1.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  38.8 KB

Name:  june08street2.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  60.7 KB

Name:  june08street4.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  41.8 KB

Name:  june08street5.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  51.3 KB

The only thing from real life in this pic is the young lady on the left.
    Name:  june08street7.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  99.3 KB

Tough one. He was wheeling along too fast! I just drew what I got a glimpse of!
    Name:  june08street8.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  56.0 KB

I was a tad annoyed for this pic. The guy was leaning so nicely, then this woman just comes in the way, looking in my face like a razzafrackin'...nevermind.
    Name:  june08lean.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  54.1 KB

I played with a couple poses in the end, but got distracted and happily showed a saxophone player some sketches! We had a nice chat!
    Name:  june08poses.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  66.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya! Huge update hehe, the lines are getting better each drawing, still loose but less messy.. me like! Take your time to work something out though, don't give up when it doesnt work out the first time. You heard it before, but if you go for realism.. you can make the legs longer (Even when you are doing stuff in the style you are developing)
    Everyone has good and bad days, damn these days suck.. such a waste of time and i know exactly how you feel. Good that you picked it up the next day and tried something new..

Very good that you are drawing so much Jasmine, wish i could get a bit more in.. keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shea, that's great advice. Thanks so much!! ^_^ I'll keep trying. I don't know what it is with me and legs; they never grow. I never get them long enough. I may exaggerate one day and they'll be stilts. o_O

Don't worry, as I'm someone who still struggles with practicing a LOT, I know that place you're in. Hee hee! And I know you can get to drawing more, if you're given the time to do it, first and foremost. Even an extra minute. ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice update, Jazz. It's great that you're getting out and sketching people -- that helps so much. Some of them look great! It looks to me like you're getting a bit bogged down in the details, though. Start out by putting down a few quick, flowing lines to get the "swing" of the pose. Then, if they move (or if some razzafrackin' woman gets in your way ), you've already got the pose, and you can fill in the rest of the details from memory. This page will show you what I'm talking about -- I didn't actually read it, bu the pictures are right.

Another thing is that it looks like most of these people are facing away from you. I know it's hard to stare at people and draw them when they're looking at you -- one thing I'd suggest is going to a busy cafe or something, and setting up where you have people sitting facing you, but talking to their friends or whatever so they don't notice. That's the ideal situation. Unfortunately for me, I usually only get to do this kind of drawing really early in the morning, when it's just single people coming in and picking up their morning coffee. Weekend nights are great for it, though.

ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, funfetus! Thanks for the advice! Yes, details are my snail feet. -_- That page you shared looks VERY helpful! I think it might be what I need! Or part of what I need! Hee hee! I always think I'm supposed to draw the people's clothes to some point, at least as far as I remember.

Yeah, it's hard drawing people facing me. Though it's easier drawing them walking away than walking forward because, once they pass you and they're walking forward, that's it! O_O They're gone! I was standing there, just getting anyone that I could keep a glimpse of. I do get intimidated when facing people because I have to look "closely" at them. Takes me a while to do that. So after a while, they notice, then turn and ruin my picture.

So, maybe one of these days, I think I'll sit around in a coffee shop. Plenty of 'em, too! Ha!! Thanks again! ^_^

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3