Sketchbook: Jazz' Junk Draw' (Practice Enviro update, Aug 6, 2011) - Page 3

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    GREAT news about the interview, Jazz! The very best of luck to you! You've come a long way since you started, and don't worry about mistakes; every one you make takes you a step further forward!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    funfetus: Thanks a bunch for the link! I'll have to rely more on the picture, because the writing, at least today, sort of went over my head and across the moon. Ha ha! But I tried drawing a bit lighter with the pencil, gliding it. It is SO hard! What I tend to do is use my wrist a lot, though I do hold the pencil at an angle. Then when a part stresses me out, I start to turn it more perpendicular to the page.

zwergi: Thank you for the comments! I do have to figure out the whole eye and eyebrow structure, because I find those places have strange angles that I have yet to tackle. So it's been frustrating, especially when bringing in the nose!

Sheavolution: Hmm! All this time I thought the unexciting stuff was bringing my imagination down! Ha ha! I'm actually glad to hear that it helps me out! Thank you! ^_^ I'll try working on the girl again, since I'm feeling more awake than I did while drawing her then!

alesoun: Thank you SO much! Your encouragement means a lot! And you're totally right about mistakes! Enough of them, and I'm sure I won't feel half as bad about making them as I do! Ha ha! I certainly need to remember that there's something to challenge me still!

---

I mentioned characters, but I got really nervous, so I'll wait until I get more confidence in some areas. THEN I'll show some characters of mine! Tonight I'm tired. It's good that I don't have to post stuff every day, because I think I need a good little break from showing my crud sketches!

This afternoon and evening I worked in more frustration. I really believe this is NOT my week. But here are some things I just did...

More face planes and little faces. Actually, in this case, I was seeing how much of my memory kicked in. I think I'm missing something, but I don't know WHAT. Also, I was bored, so I wanted to practice tilting the male's head.
    Name:  may23faces.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  53.5 KB

I attempted to make a woman's face, but it came out skewed. Ah well, maybe next time.
    Name:  may23womanFace.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  45.0 KB

This is actually just a doodle. I randomly thought of it and started drawing some weird dragon baby thing. All she has are claws and a tail. Ha! I don't even know how to draw babies yet. XD
    Name:  may23dragBaby.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  47.4 KB

Another model picture. I really like the models for their muscles, and many times the angle of their poses.
    Name:  may23manLying.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  30.6 KB

As funfetus reminded me of the difference in using one colour and using many colours, I just thought I'd really show myself a difference. But...I didn't have to make the ball bumpy. XD Oh well again! It feels alive!! So I used some blue-purple (indigo? maybe?), some red/pink, some...greenish colour, yellow, pale peach. And that sandy brown is somewhere in there. I should learn not to go overboard!
    Name:  may23sphereColour.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  25.4 KB

--

PS: In case anyone wants to download the Loomis books, I did get a link from another forum thread: http://acid.noobgrinder.com/Loomis/

I wasn't sure if I was supposed to mention it. Kick me if not! But the books help me out!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey buddy

Glad you have joined the group =)
    now to the crits:

Well, your studies are paying off but some of them, even though it is a study, I believe you could make them more finished ... sometimes it seens you just trz to hard what zou donít know with some sketchy lines hehe (donít worry, I do that a lot hehe ... someone mentioned to me that a really good way to learn is try to finish every piece, so you raelly know what is wrong)

Yeah, you are still having some troubles with the head but i believe you are on the right track ... I mean, there is a clear progress in the process

Hahaha, your anime charachter of yourself came out really good! I bet you look exactly like that!

I dunno what happened to the female face in post 62 but it sure came out wrong hehehe ... maybe you looked more to the paper than to the photo? Maybe you measure it out wrongly? I thing sometimes help me to think (I never done it because it would take too long) what would happen if I measured EVERYTHING with a ruler? And I mean everything, distance of nose to eye, eye to eyebrown, width of eye, etc etc etc ... Well, thats what we need to do but without a ruler. Try to pay more attention to angles and do the first part of sketch only with straight lines to really get the angles right.

Yeah, that sphere with more colour came out beautiful ..

Keep up!
    Best regards!

"Dream is not what you see while sleeping ...
    It is the thing which does not let you sleep. "

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know the language on that link I posted is a bit...impenetrable...but it's really worth it to take some time and puzzle it out, because it points out a lot of details that you probably won't notice just by looking at the pictures. It's stuff I never noticed, and I think it's made a difference in my drawing already.

Now, that bumpy ball looks DELICIOUS. You see what I'm talking about? You certainly don't have to go THAT crazy, though there's no reason you shouldn't, as long as it looks good. A good rule of thumb is to put a bit of the local color's complimentary color into the shadows. So if the object is orange (or light red-brown-pink, like caucasian skin is) then put some blue or purple or something like that into the shadows. You remember your color wheel, right?

That woman's face is a little weird. I think it's the jaw and chin. It's too much of an angle, and comes to too sharp a point. Some of the features are a little off-center, too. The dragon baby is really cool.

As for your head studies, they all look good, except that one -- you know which one -- the bottom planes study. The chin definitely shouldn't just out so far. The nose is by far the most protruding structure on the face. After that, it recedes in "steps" until you get to the chin.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"
    - _andreas_ - brunopicinini - funfetus - Suarezart -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    brunopicinini, thank you for the thorough crit! Ahhh, I'm thinking practice will again make perfect, as I make incomplete things when I'm tired. Possibly I even worry about the finished product being a waste of time. I should probably throw that thought out of the window, if I really want to continue.

Tee hee! Thanks about the heads progress, and my little anime-ish 'me'! I don't get to have much fun with cartoony stuff these days.

As for the woman's face, in all truth I have yet to actually study the woman's face in depth. I've only been working on the man's face. Slowly. There's no photo ref, but I wanted to try and remember how the man's face was structured, and soften it up for the woman's face. Didn't turn out the way I'd hoped. I've even done measurements, but I think at that time it was like sanding off chunks when I measured. >_< I'm actually going to try starting off with the lines next time, to get a good idea of where they could curve and soften.

funfetus: Yello there! Thanks a lot for the advice! I'll give it a try today, to read through that article and see if the wording is more straight-forward to me today.

Thanks about the ball!! I recall learning that tip about shadows, and yes! The colour wheel is well. I'll give a better try with some more colour practice!

Heh heh...I probably should've tried harder with the woman's face. XD I totally noticed the skewedness and the odd angular chin. But I didn't know what to do with it! Hee hee! For now though, I'll work with the ladies as I'm working with the guys. I'll try to get them all down a little better. Thanks about the dragon baby!

And for the profile face, thank YOU! My goodness, I have so much trouble with the chin and nose part! Seeing it in "steps" as you drew it, it's making more sense to me. I'll make sure to work on that, because I just love profile headshots and I wanna make a good one!

---

Nothing right now. But I think I'll do some work on the faces again. Mmm...I'm a little overwhelmed with ONE little interview. Which isn't so little. I need a summer job! ;_; It's tomorrow, so here's hoping!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great ref studies. i esp like that color piece. it amazes me that u can fit all of those colors in to portray a single one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, kawakaze!! I appreciate the comment, especially about the colours! I'm getting to understand them a little more!

--

I had a most enlightening and happy day!! My interview went really well! I hope they choose me to join them for their project! I wanna do some creative stuff for once! ;_;

Well, yesterday was also good! I did some baby sketching. VERY light, and you're about to see how light, because I had to mess with Photoshop levels. Heh! But I just want you guys to see how I go when I'm feeling less stressed! So yesterday and today were stressless drawings!

Now, I was enjoying the visit from my li'l niece! I and the family! Tee hee! Babies are quite tough to draw, and so I've crossed my own advice and rushed through some of the sketches. They're so loose, you MIGHT make out a baby there. But at least a gesture or two! Hee hee!

This one's my favourite...because she actually SAT there for a while, on my Dad's lap. XD
    Name:  may24babySit.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  44.2 KB

The rest are just her playing and trying to stand.
    Name:  may24babySketch.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  46.7 KB

Name:  may24babySketch2.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  33.3 KB

Today was especially enlightening...upon thinking about all the awesome advice, about how to hold my pencil, flow with it, I've (...not read the article yet!! I will, funfetus! >_< ) let loose, holding my pencil differently. Not even sure if it fits with the better way, but it felt better! I was listening to some very inspiring music. The music got me scribbling in many directions, so here's what I put down:

I was driven by the music to scribble a mess, then I used a thicker pencil to outline some kind of shape I found. I tried this twice again.
    Name:  may25openPlant.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  61.3 KB

Name:  may25drift.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  97.3 KB

I'm back into tails...I always liked them.
    Name:  may25lonely.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  64.3 KB

When will it be right?? (Ignore the hair; I just scribbled that in there cuz I...wanted to put a bunch of hair on him. XD )
    Name:  may25someProfile.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  34.1 KB

(PS, hmmm...the attachments haven't been showing up lately. As long as I didn't break anything!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wowza, you've been very active in your thread too since the last time I've been here. Impressive!

Your sketches don't show hesitation or fear of tackling challenging subjects like tilted heads and full figure anatomy. You GO Girl! Practice and demolish those drawing hurdles of yours. (Lucky that your SSG 44 group is active in giving feedbacks.)

Tips when you do face studies: try and use the liquify tool to adjust features or symmetry; and, flip your drawing in progress to minimize skewing. Flip upside down to help you draw symmetrical angles, like the chin (also a good way to check alignment and size comparison of the eyes).

Anime/ manga style doesn't get a lot of respect here but just an encouragement for you to keep developing that style (with your added flair). Might be useful someday in your portfolio, you never know. I really believe western made anime is going to eventually upstage all these 2d flash stuff right now that you see on t.v.

Good luck in landing that digital artist position or at least a fun summer job. I bet you know this already, that your area is pretty hot right now for animation work.

because I had to mess with Photoshop levels
    Use this too along with the color balance adjustment settings when you do your paintings. I personally find it very valuable in bringing your works to a higher level of finish. They're part of Photoshop's secret weapons. Of course every regualr PS user know where to look for them, but do they really know how to use and take advantage of them?

Last edited by FlipMcgee; May 26th, 2007 at 12:53 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have sketches, but I'll put them up later. XD It's so HOT here!!

I wanted to respond to you, FlipMcgee! Ha ha!! Thanks so much for peeking in again! I love looking at your progress. It's been fun sharing encouragement and crits with everyone that I've been chatting with on here!

Anyway! Thank you about the compliment for tackling challenging stuff! I really want to try and get a handle on as much as possible. I've made myself comfortable with the simplistic at one point--so much so that it felt boring, whatever pictures I made. So I'm climbing out of that! SSG #44 are AWESOME!! ^___^

That's a great suggestion about the faces! I'll try that and see how it works for me! Liquify is such a great tool! I hardly use it, but sometimes do funny little things. :3

I really appreciate the encouragement on my odd anime-esque drawing style. Heh...I do find myself sneaky about slipping a picture or two in that boasts the style. I don't mind now because I know I'm learning some other stuff that'll help me eventually draw my own way and do my own thing...well, for the most part, I suppose. Ugh, don't remind me about that Flash stuff on the TV. I HATE that stuff! I wish they'd stop mixing (almost) every intriguing cartoon idea with the flash animation. -_-;;

Thanks about the summer job! I really hope they pick me. I just want ONE chance, then more!

Oh yeah, and about the Levels, I use them as often as I can! Just that during this progress phase, I wanted to show the raw and original image, IF viewers can make it out. But if *I* can't, then I'll make sure that I can so everyone can get a good look! So...you're right about the levels, though! They've saved me from doing some lines over. Just some, but Levels is such a great tool!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your new sketches look really fluid/loose which is really nice. in some instances it seems like u overwork stuff, for instance the 3 and 4th pic. from your other skethces u clearly have a good idea of proportions and setting up your composition from many of your initial lines. i found a problem for myself is that i have a heavy hand thus i end up getting a really messy page w tons of lines that are uncessesary. i have hardly gotten away from this habit however i find that sometimes switching up mediums to ballpoint or even lead weights may help put some variance in line widths and weights.

also flash animation can be dope, the prob w most of the stuff out today is not meant to be amazing to the eye rather just enough to pass and let the story fold. i find this the same w lots of anime thus as a whole it does nto get much appreciation. im not to fond of anime but lots of people seem to think my style is? i dunno but yes, keep pushing your creative, stylistic edge as well. realism is cool but have soem fun sometimes=D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jazz, Your bumpy ball rocks The may23dragbaby's expression on the face is crazy, you did a really good with that one (I also like the tails )
    I think may25lonely is a good one for color, show off these digital skills you got please! Keep it up, doing great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey buddy!
    nice studies you are doing ...

just sometimes you seen to go over the edge with the "looseness" of your drawings hehe .. far too many constructions lines in the drawing ... it can BE a good asset and make a good effect, but I believe you must play with more "clean" drawings as well

and hope you get the job!
    what you be doing there exactly? something involving drawing? that would rock so much!
    good luck!

keep up!
    best regards!

"Dream is not what you see while sleeping ...
    It is the thing which does not let you sleep. "

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by brunopicinini View Post
    just sometimes you seen to go over the edge with the "looseness" of your drawings hehe .. far too many constructions lines in the drawing ... it can BE a good asset and make a good effect, but I believe you must play with more "clean" drawings as well
    Word. I found that as soon as I started making a conscious effort to clean up my drawings, and put down one well-placed line instead of a bunch of scribbly ones, my drawings improved substantially. This was just a couple months ago, too.

ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, guys! I've been feeling overwhelmed with all this art improvement stuff. I feel like it's just so much for me to remember and get. I'm trying the advice, little bits at a time. But I'm grateful for it, thank you!

Had another interview today. I'm feeling a bit down in the dumps, though I thought the interview went well.

Three of you mentioned me overdoing it with lines. Well, I've been working on fixing that for some time, but then my technique was getting stiff. It's a frustrating thing, trying to figure out what's letting loose and what's overdoing it. For the very last ones, however, I wanted to just let go and work on letting my hand loosen up. I wanted the lines to go where the music took them, then I would search for the lines that made more sense together. I'll be working on tightening the lines as I continue these studies though, so it's all good.

kawakaze: I'll try to have some more fun. ^_^ And I'll work on the lines.

Sheavolution: Hee hee! I'm still happy that my bumpy ball inspired you! I actually started some work on the "lonely" piece, so I'll show that to you guys. :3

brunopicinini: Thank you for the good luck wishes! I hope I get the job! One of them. XD The first one is digital artist, so I get to draw and design stuff, by the sounds of it. Yes, I shall work on those lines.

funfetus: I finally read those articles you sent! Very helpful, I must say! I'm working on holding the pencil in that manner. It feels so weird. >_<

---

I have other progress pics of this, but this was really quickly done up to there. I still have a ways to go with it. Though, I'm open for suggestions of what to add/take away before I go crazy with it!
    Name:  may25lonely4.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  20.0 KB

Sorry, unclean lines! I did this before Friday's interview. :3 I had a bunch, but they're hard to make out.
    Name:  may25woman.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  31.7 KB

Here are a bunch of progress pics of an eye I worked on this afternoon. Took me a few hours. It's my first big practice from that cool eye tutorial funfetus gave me a link to. ^_^

Good grief, look how I started!
    Name:  may28anEyeA.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  69.6 KB

Took away the lines and went to town.
    Name:  may28anEyeB.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  50.7 KB

Name:  may28anEyeC.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  15.5 KB

Name:  may28anEyeE.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  40.7 KB

Name:  may28anEyeF.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  41.1 KB

Tweaked the lower lid.
    Name:  may28anEyeG.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  40.9 KB

Here's the finished product.
    Name:  may28anEyeI.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  27.7 KB

With crap lashes...
    Name:  may28anEyeIb.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  33.2 KB

I need plenty of help with eyes. I still can't get everything the way I wanted to.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good update, Jazz! I really like the taily kid. Good form and drawing on it. For my crit, though, sorry to sound like a broken record, but PUSH THOSE VALUES! The deep shadows should be much darker. It'll look a lot better.

Glad to hear that you read that eye tutorial! It's good stuff. I bought the whole book off Amazon and I'm about halfway through. Your eye looks really good. You showed the thickness of the eyelids really well. I have a couple of suggestions: The upper eyelid should meet the mass of the brow with more of a fold. Also, make sure the lid and brow cast a shadow on to the eyeball. You have shadow to show the roundness of the ball, but not a cast shadow from the lid and brow. A couple highlights work well, too.

Keep it up! You're making good progress.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great update. i agree w what has been said above, to a degree it looks very clayish as a whole. if u start to bump up the contrast in your values on certain areas u can really start defining the little details which make it stand out. i really like your color palettes though. it will be cool to see u doing some full scale works in the future. great pace! keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

bit of nudity

Thanks, guys, for the advice!

funfetus: Thanks a bunch for your crits and encouragement!! Hee hee! True, I haven't done anything with the values YET. I'm going to! I just wanted to start with some colours and subtle values. Actually, because you mentioned it, I did darken that eye more than it was.

Speaking of which, thank you about the eye! I wasn't sure what to do with the shadows because the light source wasn't meant to be in front of the face exactly. So, when I tried putting highlights in, they actually looked really bad, like someone dabbed paint on her eye by mistake. I left them. I did try the cast shadow on the eyeball, but it was too subtle because again, I didn't know what to do. Even though I looked close to that eye tutorial, I guess there was still stuff I needed to emphesize. But thanks for showing me! I got a good idea of what you mean. I really appreciate you doing the paint-over!

kawakaze: Thanks a lot! I'll try to get some fuller things done as I progress! It does look like clay a bit. I'll try to get working on the smaller details, yes. ^_^ I want to make sure that things are put in place better first, before I really go nuts!

----

Mmmm...not feeling good right now. I probably ate too fast, but I have a headache, not a tummy ache.

News isn't good. I didn't get the digital artist job. I suppose it's okay because I need more practice. It's just discouraging. I found that out yesterday, and I tried drawing, but I ended up fouling things up for the most part. Still, I haven't posted anything lately, so I'll spill a few things.

Oh yeah, watched Shrek 3 today. BLEH!! I liked 2 way more. But 3...where was the fun? It wasn't fun enough or FUNNY enough. Meh.

Onto the sketches! It's...just sketches this time. No colour fun.

Mom, Dad and I were at the beach. They let me sketch. I first sketched Mom, then later had an idea and just sketched this generic woman. It was more for the flowing dress.
    Name:  may27walkWind.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  29.4 KB

From the Pose Maniacs site, I tried two different directions for the women here. My problem with these sketches are 1) I'm too slow, because I keep going for every single detail, and 2) I can never keep them fully inside of a page. Yeesh! I don't even scale things like I should!
    Name:  may29poseWoman1.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  44.3 KB

Another Pose Maniacs reference. You can see her from below, sort of! Ugh...legs... I tend to make a bunch of lines until I make the "right" line. Oh, and I was drawing out the muscle boundaries and stuff.
    Name:  may29poseWoman2.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  39.3 KB

This PM ref is from above! ...And on an angle! I had to raise her head and arms to actually make the pose work better. I forgot to erase the mistaken parts, though. Now it's confusing. XP
    Name:  may29poseWoman3.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  51.5 KB

I wanted to have fun, so the last three sketches were me just trying to cheer myself up. Though I did attempt to work on some aspects of anatomy, I didn't try very hard!
    Name:  may29oddSketches.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  60.8 KB

This one just looks funny, besides his face. There was a head above his...and it looked like it was licking his hair. o_O; I also forgot to take away his "second" baby finger (the one sticking up).
    Name:  may29happyGuy.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  58.8 KB

Dunno what possessed me to do THIS one. Hee hee!
    Name:  may29yeahRight.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  48.0 KB

Oh yeah, and I've been trying to lessen the lines I used, and hold the pencil correctly. It's HARD!! Really hard!! Ha ha!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry to hear about the job, Jazz; but keep sketching and don't give up. You've come such a long way since the start of this sketchbook and show signs of going further.

For the fast sketches, go for the overall impression first, rather than accuracy, and don't be afraid of making mistakes. Over time you will get fast enough to worry more over the details; and if you only knew how many times I've drawn right off the edge of the paper!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alesoun, thank you so much! I certainly hope I can muster the energy and enthusiasm to continue!

And that's a great idea for the fast sketches. I'm so set on working with anatomy, I don't get the essence of the gestures and impression. I'll work on that! ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man,nice progress you did a really good job making that eye feel 3d. try do some skeleton studies it will help you get proportions a lot faster. I need to do more of these myself. Good work!!!!!

New Sketchbook

Old Sketchbook

"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do." -Leonardo Da Vinci

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzW View Post
    Thanks, guys, for the advice!

funfetus: Thanks a bunch for your crits and encouragement!! Hee hee! True, I haven't done anything with the values YET. I'm going to! I just wanted to start with some colours and subtle values. Actually, because you mentioned it, I did darken that eye more than it was.

Speaking of which, thank you about the eye! I wasn't sure what to do with the shadows because the light source wasn't meant to be in front of the face exactly. So, when I tried putting highlights in, they actually looked really bad, like someone dabbed paint on her eye by mistake. I left them. I did try the cast shadow on the eyeball, but it was too subtle because again, I didn't know what to do. Even though I looked close to that eye tutorial, I guess there was still stuff I needed to emphesize. But thanks for showing me! I got a good idea of what you mean. I really appreciate you doing the paint-over!
    I hope I was clear about the values -- I was only referring to the tail kid. The values on the eye are actually quite good. I want to clear up a couple things -- the light source looks like it's coming from above and a little to the left, so shadows will be down and a little to the right. I'm noticing now that you DID have a cast shadow on the iris, but it didn't extend to the white of the eyeball. I think not treating the white of the eye like a regular mass that has color and light and shadow is a common mistake -- I did it for a long time myself. And any time something's smooth and wet, you have to throw some highlights on there -- that's just how life is. Really, though, it was pretty solid work to begin with -- I only made a couple small changes.

About this new update -- it looks great! I love the "I could do that" girl. Some of your figures have some anatomy issues -- mostly too-short legs, mostly on the second and third pages. You mentioned having issues with keeping everything on the page. Are you just trying to cram the whole figure on there? A trick I learned recently (from the Marko Djurdjevic DVDs) is to draw a sort of light border, maybe an inch or so away from the edge of the paper, and try to draw within that. Then you have a whole inch of "overflow". Oh, the proportion in the fourth page looks perfect. Your anime (?) figures are great, too.

Since you mentioned that you have trouble with getting caught up in the details, I want to emphasize how important it is to get the whole figure sketched out in correct proportion and structure before you start detailing. You don't have to outline the whole figure, but definitely put down some marks to indicate where everything is going to be. If you can build the figure up with blocks and cylinders to keep everything tidy in 3D space, it should help a lot, too. In fact, I'd recommend you spend a lot of time on that stuff before you move on to the more specific anatomy like muscles and surface details. Proportion and form are the foundation of this stuff.

Anyway, that was kinda rambling -- keep it up, you're doing great. I'm gonna go watch Cowboy Bebop now.

ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoa this last update is awsome. the last 4 are really great. i love the movement. great to see u challenging yourself w intense poses. your linework is looking really clean as well. the one w the womans hands over her head looks great. overall awsome stuff just pay attn to the details again, particularly the legs and refining those proportions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought Shrek 3 was pretty funny.. haha, but I know what you mean.
    Jazz, sorry to hear that you didnt get the job. Don't feel bad about it though, you'll get enough chances to prove yourself.

About the drawings.. THE EYE is great, Like Fetus pointed out.. some highlights can give it a finishing touch as you noticed, but the eye already looked very good.. great study! Of the new dump, I like the flowing dress girl and the "I could do that" girl very much. The pose maniacs website is very useful but tricky because it can be misleading.. just keep that in mind.

When you are drawing a figure, are you setting it up with basic planes//circles?

Keep it up...

Shea

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heyo! You guys give me such great advice, but lately I feel like I haven't been improving, but making even MORE mistakes. o_O If that's how it's normally supposed to go, I won't question it. Or am I having down time?

Unbreakable: Hi there!! Thanks for the advice! The skeleton is a tough one for me. I want to start with the simplest looking skeleton EVER! ...And then build up on details. So I'll see what's out there! At the least, I could use the big shapes I see.

funfetus: First off, yaaaaay!! You're watching Cowboy Bebop!! Hope you enjoy it!

Oh, I was clear about the values! I forgot to specify exactly which picture I was referring to! But your advice reminded me to push the values of the eye, so I totally tried! ^_^ Now, about the white of the eye, it's not that I didn't treat it as a mass. In this case, where the shadow was, I wasn't quite sure how to light and shade it. I didn't know how much of an edge to give it. It's such a tricky part to me, because it's glossy AND soft.

For the crammed-legged pictures...hee hee! No, I'm not trying to cram everything on the page. (though perhaps I end up doing it without realizing!) What happens is, when I get to the end, I know I have to cut off parts, so I do that. But I just have trouble measuring the legs still. And when I want to start at one spot on the page, well, I think your border suggestion will be JUST the thing to remedy that!!

Thanks so much about the fourth drawing and the anime-esque ones!!

I'm going to really try with the proportions and starting with more basic shapes. I'm weird about those shapes, like I can never draw them correctly. It'll be great practice! Thanks again, so much! (Now I'm rambling. Bah!)

kawakaze: Thank you!! Yes, I'll work on those proportions! I should probably start myself off with the very basics of them, so I'll at least know where I'm going!

Shea: Hee hee! Well, for all the credits Shrek 3 has, it's good to know some of us appreciate it! Hee hee! ^_^ Thanks for the consolation, it means a lot. I'll just keep trying to find something! ...Man, I hope I don't have this bad luck in Co-op.

Oh, THANK YOU about the pictures!! And especially about that Pose Maniacs site. One like that is too good to be accurately true. XD I did find some strange poses, and I can tell most, if not all, can be found in video games and other nifty media. Heh! I was hoping to see more men.

For the most part, I am indeed using those basic cylinders and circles. But I tend to hop right into the leg shapes and stuff, instead of maybe getting the basic shapes down first.

----

Today, I just felt like colouring more of my li'l "lonely" picture. I was also practicing Idiot Apathy's sphere assignment, over at the Peer Project thread! I'll show it anyway.

He said softer but...man, that's soft!! XD
    Name:  may31sphere.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  8.3 KB

I just worked on more details (upped the values more, funfetus!)...at least a little on the hair and blanket. I did the most work on the skin after a while. Played with the ears, too! Still have much to do!
    Name:  may31lonely5.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  26.9 KB

Name:  may31lonely6.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  26.3 KB

Name:  may31lonely7.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  30.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The kid's looking great! The hair is amazing, and the values are nice and strong. The only suggestion I have is to work some different hues into the hair and drapery. You've already done it with the skin, and it's looking great. Keep it up, I think this one is taking you to a new level.

ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, thanks so much, funfetus!! Yeah, I'll totally get some other hues into the hair and drapery! I want to bring the little kid out as much as possible! ^_^ Just a matter of figuring out WHICH colours to add to those parts. o_o

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello,

Great sketchbook going here Jazz. Keep working at the digital, you are improving alot! The boy is comming along well, the hair is very well done. As funfetus said, try add in more hues into the clothing, overall it will give it more life.

I'm sorry to hear you didn't get the job, but there are always more opportuinities

Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow Jazz, these are great! The improvement from your first few posts is impressive to say the least really inspiring - i'm def gonna study up on my anatomy now and hope i can improve as well as you have ^^

My Sketchbook Please feel free to stop by and crit/comment!

My Blog!

My Deviantart

Painty paint paint

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are making a heap of progress, good on you for doing all the boring studies, they will turn you into a well rounded artist.

cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great update. as said before, colros are looking good and the hair is awsome. im having trouble reading the pose from the digital. from your sketch you define it through the cloth so it reads but w your digital it feels as if the cloth is not affected at all by the leg so closely underneath it. since the whole figure is really covered up u really have to use to cloth to define the forms underneath. try breaking up some of those ripples, change directions and angles of the folds w your shadows/highlights and imagine how they are altered by the forms which rest underneath.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3