Sketchbook: Jazz' Junk Draw' (Practice Enviro update, Aug 6, 2011) - Page 2

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thank you so much, Alesoun!! You know, I never take the time to look back before I look at the here and now. I should totally do that like you say! ^_^

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I thought I'd put these up tonight, because I just didn't feel like putting them up later! XD I realise that I haven't touched colour. Not in any medium, nothing. So I attempted to try, just so I wouldn't get myself too lazy.

I'm doing progress on an apple. I'm still having trouble making BIG blocks of colour. They're just a bit too small still.

Name:  may06appleA.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  19.1 KB

Name:  may06appleB.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  16.8 KB

Name:  may06appleC.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  17.2 KB

Yesterday I thought about when I was little, and I hallucinated very vividly. One of the hallicinations were these sticky ugly red and black things that were lying around on the car floor. They bit me! They actually were darker than this, and less shiny. Both things I must tackle and practice with.

Name:  may07hallu2.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  71.8 KB

Now, sketchy practice with faces! I'm really learning a lot from that loomis "drawing heads and hands" book! I have yet to put these lessons into good practice. As in...finish something. Ha! I'll try my best! Just getting a feel for the structure and how it looks on different angles.

Name:  may07faces1.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  135.5 KB

Name:  may07faces2.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  98.3 KB

Name:  may08faces.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  135.6 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Those red and black things look like pills I had to take for tonsillitis as a kid! I used to drop them down the back of the cooker so nobody would notice me spitting them out!

Experimenting with colour is a great idea; any new medium challenges you and makes you think; and that can only be good.....

Thanks
    Alesoun: Ha ha!! Scary stuff, red and black pills!! XD The creepy thing about those little pill monsters is that they stuck to my feet...kinda like a pills I had to take for a tooth infection stuck to my tongue. Worst ever taste! But...*shudder* THESE monsters were HUGE!! ;_;

As the seasons continue, I'm really going to try and get some more colouring down. It'll probably make me feel even better about what I'm accomplishing. ^_^

Thanks
    Wow, you're kickin' ass with those paintings! Love what you did with Wrath.

Keep going with the anatomy and traditional studies, you're really making headway (no pun intended, ha I'm so funny). Your sketches have got terrific movement. Be gentle and slow with your rendering, like in your paintings. A suggestion for rendering: pay attention to the direction of your pencil strokes, and try not to use too many patterns in one drawing. The piece looks much cleaner if the lines are all flowing in only a few directions. This isn't the rule, just something to try.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Enthusiastic sketches and studies! You like drawing portraits a lot, am I right? It's a good skill to develop. I can see development in your painting as I moved down the thread. Keep it up!

Thanks
    there are so many comic characters you' ve drawn in your sketchbook, a japannese style mostly.
    But I see a lot of talents you've shown in this thread.

Thanks
    You are doing all the right exercises! You should improve on your linewwork though: think where the line will go beofre you draw. Drawing in ink is a great exercise. Keep going!

Thanks

mini update

nilaffle, That's great advice, and I definitely agree with line direction. It's a habit I must wean myself out of. Thank you so much about the paintings! Oh yeah, and HA @ the head non-pun! I'll keep working on my anatomy, even with the oncoming complaint*.

FlipMcgee, thank you very much! I'm glad the improvement is there! I do like drawing portraits, yes! Although I really wish I could draw nice bodies to go with them. Very hard right now. >_<

yenk, thank you for stopping in!! T'is true: At the moment most of my imagination is lent to fan art stuff. Heh! Although one of these days I WILL put some more original stuff down. Yeah, I do like the Japanese art plenty**. ^_^

Bartovan, thanks for the advice! I do need to work on lines, work on controlling my hand, too. I think my biggest problem is that I'm never drawing on a table or something that will support my hand better. Bah, I should just sit in the kitchen and try more!

---and now...for the other stuff!

*I am sick of drawing heads. ;_; Right now.

Okay, that was my main complaint, but I'm feeling rather discouraged today. I'm depressed about how I'm drawing. Line work and everything. I'm having trouble with anatomy and posing, and I also have LOTS of problems with clothing. This weekend was pretty good for me, as I needed a change of pace for a little while. Just doing fun stuff.

**So some of this is fan art from animes. But with lessons!

------

It was Yoh's (left) birthday on Saturday. (those two are from Shaman King) Now, this was a good bit of practice for me because I was trying to work out composition on paper. I'm really bad at it.
    Name:  may12yohBday2.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  132.0 KB

More faces, but I was getting frustrated with the tilting ones, and ones facing away from us.
    Name:  may13faces.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  73.0 KB

I first did a sort of "negative space" sketching, getting everything around the woman. Then I just decided to put a little cross contour in there. I need an easel or something. But I like how she turned out overall.
    Name:  may13womanLying.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  80.0 KB

Another fanart. Gaara from Naruto. I was actually practicing with head construction, but in that particular style. I just wanted to understand it better. Minus the uneven sides, I thought it good practice! And...I referenced a scarf. It was a nice scarf.
    Name:  may13gaara.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  33.3 KB

Gaara "twins". One of the twins just can't sleep! Crazy one. Last night this idea just sprung into my head. Unfortunately, the lines look like crap. However, I do want to work on this again later. It's still a pretty decent idea.
    Name:  82can_you_hear_me.png
Views: 874
Size:  36.5 KB

Last ones are progress (and rushed) paintings of a bellydancer. Zümre is said to be a not-so-great dancer, but is a beautiful lady. (It's true...I saw a video of her) I'm not done this one. I just started practicing yesterday. Here's the ref: http://www.fotoajans.com/turk_unlu/z/zumre_4.jpg Though it's upside-down and I didn't change it around. Weird!
    Name:  may13zumreA.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  44.0 KB

Name:  may13zumreB.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  43.5 KB

Name:  may13zumreC.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  43.1 KB

Name:  may13zumreD.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  45.6 KB

Thanks
    thanks for stopping by in my sketchbook, Jazz!
    Nice work here... i esp like head sudies don't give up and draw as much as you can kisses!

Thanks
    Thankyou for posting my SB ^^ I think I scowl at the mirror too much. . . ha

I like your stuff, the drawing from dreams thing is inspiring, I've written music based on my dreams before but the drawings always fail to capture the true feeling. And i'm gealous of your photoshop painting skills D: i'm too scared to try! x

Thanks
    The shading's a little too sharp on the breasts (unless she's had implants) but the improvement from the beginning of your sketchbook takes my breath away!

Thanks

nothing but replies!

monna-giovanna: You're welcome! And thanks so much for looking in mine! When I read your comment, I started feeling better! I actually drew more heads today! But I'll show them later!

maturin: Oh, you're welcome! My dreams and hallucinations are pretty vivid. I could draw them out close, though there's always that SOMETHING that I miss! I have a few weird dreams that I'd REALLY like to get out, though! As for Photoshop, awww it won't bite! Not hard anyway! Hee hee! It's just a matter of trying any old thing you can! I started off with photo-manipulation, actually! It was crap, but it SURE was fun!

alesoun: Ha ha! Funny you should say that about implants! I was reading about her, and people were SAYING she had them! Check the link I provided, too. That's the picture that I'm using for the study. It's the same thing, just upside-down! And thanks so much for the compliment on my progress!! It makes me happy! ^__^ I'm glad I'm getting somewhere, finally!

--

There's one thing I'll have to work on: line weight. That's for the pictures with outlines. I really don't know the best line weight to use or how I might go about varying weights. Except I could vary them depending on the shape sizes, or focus...stuff like that. Well, whatever I figure out, I'll show SOMETHING on here!

Thanks
    Cool stuff JazzW, really like your digital stuff, the quality seems so much better, is that because you put more time in those paintings? Also like the Gaara twins, its a cool idea and I think the lines are fine.

Thanks
    hello master of sitting poses from magazines hehe! thansk for stopping by in my SB

dude ... I will probably buy my wacom tablet this year so I definitely need to get some advice with you about that ... You seen to be improving on that so quickly ... which wacom you have again?

yeah, I agree with you .. I too have some problems with line weight ... is quite fun because for pro is easy to consider the whole without losing attention to details ... but for us is a little bit hard think everything: if the pose is right, if the light is right, lineweight, you name it ... well, that comes with time ..

you head studies are really good!
    Have you tried any anatomy studies? I bet the will look nice.

I am buying right now the bridgman book to start studying that.

Dude, I think me and you are quite in the same track (but I think you are more advanced hehe, specially with the wacom since I don't have it) and I was thiking we could help each other. Doesn't need to be those ssg, but something similar that we give hints and other useful information.
    If you are interest send me a pm.

Best regards and keep up!

ps: naruto fan as well?

Last edited by brunopicinini; May 17th, 2007 at 05:22 AM.
    "Dream is not what you see while sleeping ...
    It is the thing which does not let you sleep. "

Thanks
    I love the study of the apple, great improvements here!

New Sketchbook

Old Sketchbook

"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do." -Leonardo Da Vinci

Thanks
    Thanks for visiting my sketchbook. I definately see lots of improvement in yours, especially the digital stuff . . . I don't know if I'll ever have the patience for photoreal . . . ^^

Thanks
    Checked out the thread. Hmmm... the natural breast is tear-drop shaped, not round or chiselled. What do you think? Lol!

At first glance, I thought you had too many highlights, but, seeing the ref, I've changed my mind. A general softening on the shadows, maybe? Great work, though. That's quite a journey.... !

Thanks
    *Yawwwwn* What a week!! But I got me an interview for next Friday! Digital Artist! ...Will I make it? Uhhhh...we'll see. XD

---

I'm so glad you guys are popping in here! Thanks a lot!!

Sheavolution: Thanks!! I do spend more time on the paintings. It's a little easier for me to start with BIG strokes using big brushes instead of using the pencil. I'll be practicing more with the pencil though!

brunopicinini: Ha ha!! Yes, the sitting poses master is here!! *bow* Thanks for the comments! ^_^ Speaking of anatomy...I did a little of it! Ha ha! Not nearly enough! And anytime, I'll take a peek in your SB! The tablet I have is just a Graphire...2 I think. It's a few years old! Ha ha! I'm surprised it works on my crappy Windows 98. You know, it would be cool to help one another sometime! I'd love to share progress, and I feel like I'm walking with a bunch of you now! So we can share info and tips, that would be cool!

(And yes, I am a Naruto fan! Ha ha! But I drew hardly any of the characters!)

Unbreakable: Thanks a bunch!! ^__^ I really appreciate it!

Blythe: Ha ha!! Thanks!! I'm trying my hardest with patience! That's what keeps me from FINISHING anything! XD

alesoun: Thank you! At the moment, it's not even close to done. I'm working out the heavier detail, then I'll worry about smoothing it all out as I get in deeper! If I get back to it. Heh heh... I'll try. :3 And I did hear about the breast shape being like a teacup. If I were just doing the picture without a ref, I'd probably give her such breasts...except with lying down, I guess the tea cup might be more of a squished and spoutless tea pot? :3

----

So!! I'm surprised I even did anything this week! But I did some different stuff! I, in fact, attempted to work on anatomy! Got a big mess...nice and BIG mess... However, at least I tried some using just my noggin. You could probably guess which ones those were, cuz right now, I suck at anatomy and I need help! XD
    Name:  may17pose1.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  63.9 KB

Name:  may17pose2.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  76.3 KB

The one of the left looks so wrong. XD
    Name:  may17pose3.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  66.2 KB

Name:  may17pose4.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  42.4 KB

Name:  may17pose5.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  64.6 KB

And I worked on heads again. I couldn't escape, especially with the realization that I have BIG trouble with angles! ...Wait...I think I said that once already. Well, it's STILL true, so I'm practicing!!
    Name:  may15heads1.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  65.0 KB

Name:  may15heads2.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  64.3 KB

Name:  may18heads1.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  56.5 KB

Hee hee!! I was impatient, wanted to try doin' up a head all in Photoshop (and using my imagination)!! I wanted to practice with shading and facial anatomy, but I need guidance. -_-
    Name:  may17face.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  22.4 KB

Oh yeah, and I sketched some bunnies!! I had four, but the other two...I just didn't feel like putting them up. These are third and fourth tries, for they are each from different pictures!
    Name:  may15bunnies.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  68.1 KB

Lastly, I did this today. A quick and simple picture for my VERY simple online portfolio! I mean...it's so simple. >_< But I LIKED how it turned out! Yep...that's me, posing in some strange way for no reason.
    Name:  may18jazz.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  70.5 KB

Thanks
    Wow, you've improved a LOT since the beginning of this SB. I really like your cartoon stuff, and your stuff from reference is really solid. The stuff from imagination seems to be coming along nicely, too. That painted b&w in the last post looks great; the anatomy looks great -- the only suggestion I have at all is that the upper eyelids need a little work.

Glad to have you in the 44th! Keep it up!

ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"
    - _andreas_ - brunopicinini - funfetus - Suarezart -

Thanks
    Hello there! Looking through your sketchbook I see a lot of cool stuff! I like the anime style that is going on, especially the little girl from Full Metal Alchemist. Your life renderings look really nice too.

I think it was already mentioned in here somewhere but I'd like to see some more original works in that style.

Thanks
    funfetus: Hi! Thanks for the comments! ^__^ I think I have more trouble with the upper eyelids because I have no idea how to shade them or structure them on the face yet. So I'll be trying to learn how to do it better.

Clocks: Thank you much! ^_^ Original stuff? You're not alone. *I* would like to see more original stuff in here! But my imagination isn't even making waves yet. So, I'm just building back up to original stuff.

---

My imagination is fading, it seems. When I think about making my stories come to life, I just can't think of HOW. And if I have an idea for part of the storyline, it comes up flatline. >_> It's really frustrating.

I'm not at all feeling good right now. Not about drawing, not about current situations, nothing. Nonetheless, here's what I did. I'll omit one fanart drawing. :3 I don't like it anymore.

Here be crap:

Last night I just went and did this for practice while role-playing. It's not what I'd call "complete", but I'm done with it. I'm not happy with the nose, more than anything else.
    Name:  may21meany.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  39.2 KB

Mom had to go to the doc today, so I drew while we waited for her turn. I drew a couple people, fiddled with shading...
    Name:  may22docOffice1.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  56.3 KB

Name:  may22docOffice2.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  47.9 KB

Name:  may22shades.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  45.5 KB

I'd been learning about how the head planes look...the primary ones mainly. When I went to do the secondary ones, and saw the head sideways, I was thinking "Ugh...it's wider this way! >_<" So, yeah. Now I have to get an idea of the width when you draw a profile.
    Name:  may22facePlanes1.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  36.9 KB

Name:  may22facePlanes2.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  49.2 KB

This evening I took a bunch of poses from here: http://www.posemaniacs.com/blog/pose/ Thanks to someone who put it on their SB. Can't recall who. Shoot. Cuz I had this little habit of not going for less than 30 seconds in practice, I kept going with these figure drawing practices. Oy!! >_< I can't draw small enough, either.
    Name:  may22poses.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  69.1 KB

Thanks
    First of all, if you're having trouble with eyes, then have I got a treat for you: http://sevencamels.blogspot.com/2007...l-on-eyes.html
    I just read this last week, and it was REALLY helpful. I actually bought the book in question, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. Anyway, read through that, and draw along with it. I'd also suggest drawing some eyes REALLY BIG, so you have room to put in all the detail. I know for the longest time I never really learned eyes, because I never drew them big enough to need to.

Okay, comments/crits:

The blue-haired girl -- nice! The hair looks good, and the whole thing has good form to it. One thing that's bothering me, though, is the lack of different hues. It looks like you're taking one color for the skin, one for the hair, etc., and just raising and lowering the value. Throw some other colors in there -- put some purple in the shadows, some red around the nose and cheeks, etc. Go wild.

The life sketches are good. It's hard to get people when they're not looking away, isn't it? Most of mine are like that, too.

Keep it up with those head planes, that's important stuff. To help with your problem there, the head, when viewed from profile, fits roughtly into a square, with the nose, lips and chin protruding a bit:

Attached Images Attached Images  
    ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"

Thanks
    Thanks for the help, funfetus! I'll try to go through that blog entry. As for the colour in the girl, I actually tried to put some other hues in (like some green and yellow for highlights), but last night I was just too tired. I'll keep in mind about more colours nonetheless.

Hee hee! Where I was sitting in the doctor's office, everyone was TOO close! And most of the interesting ones were turned away in front of me!

I'll keep up with the planes, thank you! And thanks for the visual on the head's profile! That'll be helpful. I wanted to compare it to the width of the head in front-view. Once I have a good enough idea of that, I think I'll feel better about heads!

Thanks
    You're making a lot of progress Jazz, just keep it up. One piece advice: I know I say this a lot, but you try drawing with a lighter hand, and don't scratch a line into existence, let your hand move farther along before you stop. Build it up! try it!

Thanks
    great stuff. a lot of variety. its cool to see you progress through diff pieces. that baby girl stands out particularly. great work! i like the cartoon style as well, it would be cool to see you push the realistic paint look in your cartoon characters.

Thanks
    I have no drawings right now! ;_; I feel better today, so I'll just respond to you guys!

mentalSherpa: Thank you for the suggestion! Lines are some of my toughest parts to improve on. I'm heavy-handed; I think it's made of rock or something!

kawakaze: Thanks so much!! I'm glad you like both the realistic and cartoony styles! I'm actually on my way to trying a little more realism with the cartoony. But I'll always have a heart for those crazy lines! Hopefully I can stay into a few cartoony types! ^_^

Today might be a good day to show some characters I'm working on, and to show you all just how crummy my char clothing is. Ha! It'll be tough because I'll be showing my own characters, and I haven't shaken the habit of "They MY babies!! ._. Leave 'em ALONE!!" but I think, after all this great advice, I could sure use a push with them, too!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzW View Post
    mentalSherpa: Thank you for the suggestion! Lines are some of my toughest parts to improve on. I'm heavy-handed; I think it's made of rock or something!
    I used to have that problem as well -- I'd dig deep grooves into the paper. Are you holding your pencil like you'd hold it to write? Like straight up and down, gripping near the tip, drawing with little motions of your wrist and fingers? Try holding it farther up the shaft, with a loose grip, kinda laying it sideways on the paper. Actually, here: http://www.drawyourworld.com/grip.html -- but try holding it higher up than they show there. It takes a little getting used to, but it allows for more flowing lines, because you'll use more of your arm and less of your wrist and fingers.

Last edited by funfetus; May 24th, 2007 at 08:25 PM.
    ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"

Thanks
    i really love your digital drawings, the girl from the photo ist to die for
    and i also like the drawing of the girl with the black hair
    unfortunately i never did digital drawings but you seem to have huge talent for it
    like funfetus said you should practice drawing eyes, especially the area of the eye closer to the nose, there's a thing you always miss out... don't know how it's called
    there's a lot improvement in your sketches, keep drawing

b

Thanks
    Drawing less exciting things is definitively paying off! I mean, the studies are looking good. Try to add some more contrast on the digital one, and sharpen the edges a little bit. I think the nose looks fine if you fix the mouth, turn it a bit. Keep up the good work Jazz!

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3