Sketchbook: Jazz' Junk Draw' (Practice Enviro update, Aug 6, 2011) - Page 15

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More poses! More progress on the self-portrait. It's been an interesting week for creativity, thanks to watching The Great Mouse Detective...AWESOME MOVIE!

Anyway...

Name:  jan14_poses1.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  113.6 KB

Name:  jan14_poses2.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  102.6 KB

Name:  jan14_poses3.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  102.8 KB

Name:  jan14_poses4.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  98.7 KB

Name:  jan14_poses5.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  101.3 KB

I was using some lessons from Marshall Vandruff to try and form hands and such...well, he did say it didn't have to look good!
    Name:  jan14_poses6.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  95.8 KB

More progress on the self-portrait. MAN, it takes a lot of work...a LOT and I am fighting against my lazy streak. O_o Still trying to get the face formed correctly, and the lips!! And the chest...and...everything, but it looks better than the last one, I think!
    Name:  self_portJan14.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  99.0 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, hello! Just popping by to check out your stuff. I've had a look through and there's definitely a load of improvement. (I like your self-portrait so far too! )
    I'm terrible at crits, so pay no mind to me if I'm rambling, but I think those gesture drawings might look a bit better if they were done in softer/smoother pencil strokes. Some of them look a wee bit jagged and it kind of breaks the flow for me. Non the less, I find it really interesting looking through them.

Keep up the good work mate.

Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr - Etsy
    Also, why not check these guys too?

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Much appreciated, Naidy! As much as I try, I'm afraid I can't get the lines soft and smooth in 30 seconds. (I hadn't mentioned those were mostly 30-second gestures). That's fine though, because I usually can get smoother lines as I give myself more time. Guess it wouldn't hurt to try though. XD Doesn't mean I don't break the flow anyway, which is a big flaw in my gesture drawing.

Last edited by Jazz; January 18th, 2011 at 03:36 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hiding away from the Lounge for a while. So I worked from Naidy's suggestion and Jason Rainville's tips...and I think I went overboard. XD Will I ever reach the balance? ARGH!!!!

Name:  jan19poses1.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  76.8 KB

Name:  jan19poses2.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  61.4 KB

Name:  jan19poses3.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  60.3 KB

Name:  jan19poses4.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  58.7 KB

Name:  jan19poses5.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  67.4 KB

Name:  jan19poses6.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  61.3 KB

Tried making some character. What I probably need to do is just make more thumbnails. I hate not being able to create a character just like that. What did I do before? Ohhhh yes, I used an existing picture that wasn't at all fleshed out and made a completely different character. I also looked in the phonebook for names. Both worked! Used dreams...I guess I could do stuff like that more often.
    Name:  jan19char1.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  131.8 KB

Name:  jan19char2.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  152.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I'm slowly starting to get the gesture thing, I just need to trust in myself to know what I'm seeing, what I'm understanding. This process is SO SLOW!! Guh.

Name:  jan22poses1.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  92.4 KB

Name:  jan22poses2.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  90.9 KB

Name:  jan22poses3.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  97.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Siiiiiigh...I'm sinking into my creative block. Haven't coloured anything, don't feel like it right now. I happen to be doing other creative things, but still! Bah!

Finally I started to understand Bridgman's blocky ways, and that is thanks to Marshall Vandruff's streaming class in anatomy. I, of course, need help with measurement.
    Name:  jan25hands.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  177.3 KB

Tried just making up some character. I suck at clothes still. LOL! I just wanted to see if I could make a pose work without killing it with lines.
    Name:  jan25girl.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  153.8 KB

Some off idea for a scene in the video game concept I made last summer. I really would like to flesh it out, way more than THIS! Problem is, once I sketch like this, I don't want to go further. I guess I scare myself.
    Name:  jan25ellaCity.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  230.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome progress from when you started to your last page. I'd say another good gesture exercise would be to use the side of your pencil to block in the masses. You'll focus more on form and balance, plus it's way faster if you're limited on time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm, that's a new one I haven't tried! Thanks, Pierce9, but for some reason I can't picture it in my head. I probably need to find an example. Maybe it'll work for me...

Uuuugh!! I think I went back a couple steps! ;_; Sheesh! This definitely is a weak point that I need to work on. Just wishing I could make my hands go where I needed them to, and make it look better than this! Oops, forgot to work the ear! I'll do that for the NEXT progress. Bah!
    Name:  self_portJan25.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  113.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going through a roller coaster of feelings regarding my drawing capabilities, but I've done several cartoony things, some character stuff, and a touch of practice. I really needed to give myself more fun stuff to do as well, or I'd go MAD!! So, I see a month went by...here's some stuff I worked on, actually in order:

My brother started a character, and I just kept going with it. XD
    Name:  feb13_bowLady.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  96.5 KB

A character that I've had for YEARS, but rarely drew. I'll keep trying to draw her.
    Name:  feb13_shatare.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  141.2 KB

Valentine's Day gift for a friend. I've been trying to draw some Disney characters from Great Mouse Detective, so these are good practice for me!
    Name:  feb14_sweetLook_fin.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  243.7 KB

Another GMD pic, just funny practice, and good to know that I'm working on making characters look more...animated!
    Name:  feb17_wrongMove.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  110.1 KB

Another character I had for years and hadn't worked on...for a long while. This one is rather special because I was becoming sicker and sicker that day until...it was over. Threw up once again after six years of avoiding it.
    Name:  feb18_tish.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  84.9 KB

When I got better from that horrid "family friendly" stomach flu, this is the first drawing I made. GMD characters again, with a touch of Flavor Flav thanks to my friend. This is me trying to take a few risks.
    Name:  feb20_missFlava_fin.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  158.9 KB

Did this over a couple days. Another GMD drawing, and I'm quite happy that he looks less flat than the usual tries I made. Good rendering for once!
    Name:  feb23_youMind_fin.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  172.5 KB

Torso practice! I'm starting to understand the muscle stuff more...a little more at a time.
    Name:  feb23_torsoMuscles.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  168.1 KB

Last but not least, last night I did a speedy enviro thing. It wasn't exactly a study. I mean, I peeked at skies, I peeked at grounds (reflective ones), but I just tried this on my own. I don't know when I'll get to the "CREATE FANTASTIC FUTURE CITY!!" level, but...this I think appears more convincing than other tries.
    Name:  feb24_easyEnvi.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  78.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nothing much, seemingly a waste of space, but most of work was done in my brain, trying to remember and learn about muscle groups.

Name:  mar13_anat1.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  119.8 KB

Name:  mar13_anat2.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  101.7 KB

It's tricky for me to learn about muscles, anatomy and form. I feel like I've had to reeeeally slow down to start understanding. Now I have to slow down with drawing these things. I just do NOT get it yet! To keep things simple...oy!

I did attempt to do some nifty "fun" work on characters that I've had for a while. Just that the study of all this anatomy and the application to characters from imagination...man, it's daunting right now! I guess that's normal. I hope that's normal!

Name:  mar10_ella.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  252.7 KB

Name:  mar10_zutara.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  91.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I decided to try understand space a little more...just a little! Hee hee...but so far I find it HARD TO DO! No matter though, it felt great working with markers again, AND getting a feel for something I'm usually shy about.

All poses are courtesy of the Gesture Drawing Tool
    Name:  mar26_spacePose1.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  99.7 KB

Name:  mar26_spacePose2.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  117.2 KB

You wouldn't guess, but this is 10 minutes. I was trying to measure parts as best as I could.
    Name:  mar26_spacePose3.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  70.3 KB

This one I spent...maybe an hour on. Marcus J. Ranum provides photos of the artistic nudes on the gesture drawing site, and this is the pose:

Name:  mar26_markerFigure.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  219.7 KB

Man, I'm happy with most of it because I'm getting better at limbs! ...I missed some spots, though, and put in my own style choice with the green marker...I should've stopped earlier. Pfft.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been allowing myself to draw things I want, so I can feel good for awhile instead of feeling like I never do anything right in practice. Also, so I could practice expressing myself by expressing characters. But then I did some neutral 3D things after all that.

I thought I showed this, but I guess not! Daily Sketch Group picture from weeks ago. I've never drawn a horse OR a unicorn before... I certainly never drew a creature! So...yeah, it was a nifty challenge!
    Name:  jazz_dsg1601.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  114.0 KB

My enjoyment is making Great Mouse Detective (Disney) characters do off things now and again. Hee hee! I was up late with worries about life, and so sometimes I just need to draw stuff like this.
    Name:  apr11sleepers2.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  136.7 KB

Name:  apr11sleepers4.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  123.3 KB

This is one of my better drawings, even though the rain is messed up (going the wrong way, but when I turned it the correct way, it...didn't catch me). But I'm proud of this one because I 1) rarely try pictures with perspective, 2) don't usually have more than one character in a picture, and 3) don't draw environments much. So this is improvement for me! Hooray!
    Name:  apr1_graveyard_fin.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  248.7 KB

Now, I've been working in the ZBrush 4 trial, learning for myself how to make anything. I mean, I did use tutorials, but these heads I actually figured out some sculpting methods on my own!
    Name:  zbrush_head.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  34.8 KB

Name:  ladyHead.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  68.9 KB

And...a pillar. I don't know what to do with it, but it's the first pillar, less refined, but it's a pillar!! @_@ Yeah.
    Name:  jw_PRMpillar.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  58.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice work! You're working hard and improving, no doubt about that. Your creature sketch looks cool, but I can't really tell which way the unicorn is going since the hair (a huge indicator of motion) is going in every direction and the plant monster's teeth don't seem to be clamped on the unicorn so it wouldn't be able to pull it in very effectively.

Nice colors in your Disney painting! Sorry to ruin them, but here's a paint over of how I think the composition could be improved.
    Name:  mousedetectives.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  244.5 KB
    I'm no composition experts so take this with a grain of salt! I think the original picture is too jumbled up, first of all. I added some more room between the bad guys and detectives (Haven't seen this movie. I'm ashamed.) so that the eye focuses on them one at a time and not both at once. The shadow should lead the viewer down to the detectives, who I grouped closer together to make into one focus instead of two. I also shifted their gazes towards each other so they're not wary of the bad guys or us. If we don't think they know what's happening, we'll be more scared for them.
    Like I said I'm no expert and I think there may be too much empty space in mine, those are just some thoughts. Nice work on the sculptures, keep working hard!

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Samszym For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahhh, thank you, Vertical! It's great of you to critique my stuff. ^_^ Sorry I can't be more enthusiastic right now, it hasn't been a great day.

Composition is one of my weaker points, so I greatly take to heart what you're saying and it's definitely something to look harder at. Heh, the unicorn pic is something I've never tried before, so next time I attempt something like that, I'll give it a better try! I just wanted to be able to DRAW a unicorn, so it was a step in the right direction. More and more steps will make it really shine.

For the Disney pic, much appreciated! I had something else wrong with that piece, but I don't want to completely decimate my efforts. I see what you did with the scene! Truth is, the way I showed the scene is how it happened and appeared in the story. But I think that composition would work nicely. Possibly it needs to be less spaced, and I probably could add those tombstones that are actually little squares on the ground, if I were to add anything. More pronounced shadows for the lightning...now I did forget about that. Of course that would be there! Makes very much sense. Glad the colours are working out, because I was hoping that they would pop out more, even for a night scene like this.

Thanks again!

--

Worked on hands, and this is probably the largest number of hands I worked on within a day. I'm starting to block in shapes more, so I can get a better grasp on the hands.

Name:  apr17_hands1.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  176.7 KB

Name:  apr17_hands2.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  124.5 KB

Name:  apr17_hands3.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  117.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sometimes it can be hard to settle in AND work on art. I'm slow again, but I managed to do a few different things.

Ideas for a character's crew members in a story I have NOT really started.
    Name:  may19_crew.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  174.1 KB

Character practice, since I didn't ever colour her. Ella from my game concept design. It's obviously been awhile since I tackled proportions, but she doesn't look too bad!
    Name:  may15_ellaIdea.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  161.0 KB

Attempted to capture some elements of people on a little train ride. It was NOT easy. They'd move around, get off at a stop really quickly, etc.
    Name:  may21_lrtSits.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  158.8 KB

Tried drawing a building...with pencil and no ruler! Ha ha ha...well, it was getting hot by the time I finished, but it's good for being a sketch. I have an idea of how the building's supposed to look.
    Name:  may21_cylinderBldg.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  160.9 KB

Still, I wish there were a better way to draw out buildings. I did use a little method in there for drawing the windows as accurately as possibly. Doing perspective can be tricky!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some poses from Posemaniacs, the Gesture Drawing Tool (Pixellovely? I think) and hoodies from drjays.com

Man!! These things are tough to draw when I haven't drawn them for awhile. ;_;

Name:  may30_poses1.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  80.1 KB

Name:  may30_poses2.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  84.1 KB

Name:  may30_poses3.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  127.8 KB

Name:  may30_poses4.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  97.3 KB

Name:  may30_poses5.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  94.6 KB

Name:  may30_hoodies.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  158.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm trying to sketch more every day, tough as it is! So I did gestures, and I still have trouble with un-stiffening movement. I'm getting closer, though! You'd think I would have learned by now, with all the great teachings!
    Name:  june01_poses1.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  90.2 KB

Name:  june01_poses2.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  86.3 KB

Name:  june01_poses3.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  100.6 KB

Name:  june01_poses4.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  58.9 KB

With sketching, I'm going to try and complete a picture by the end of each week, even if it's not even close to complete. I just began this idea a little while ago today. A "flower girl", who will probably have more to her when I get to the point of detailing! (I skipped steps here, makes it quicker. )
    Name:  june01_secretFlower0b.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  58.3 KB

Name:  june01_secretFlowerA.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  87.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't feel like scanning the gestures, but I worked on this picture! Sloooowly...or at least I'm trying to slow down.

Name:  june04_secretFlowerC.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  75.5 KB

Name:  june04_secretFlowerD.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  74.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been quiet, but I've been just practicing, slowly trying to work with my weaknesses. I finished the flower girl. There were some slight refinements but she's done enough! It's a weekly thing but this took a span of five days.
    Name:  june06_secretFlower_fin.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  112.0 KB

This week I'm practicing with environments and perspective. So I tried my hand at drawing a fountain that's FINALLY turned on! Yaaaay! Ahhh, the feeling. I enjoyed using a few markers and some pen to go as accurately as I could. This is a step up from my other efforts!
    Name:  june08_lilFountain.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  197.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been having rough times, mentally anyway. Although this isn't the only thing I drew, this is the only thing I finished. Arms are a little unbalanced; feet are at a weird angle, but I'm glad I could get some colours out using the markers and coloured pencils.

Name:  jul21_someGirl.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  84.0 KB

Hopefully the life crap will go soon, and I can try again. Until then...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been taking it easy with studies, but still working on drawing SOMETHING, so I'll have drawn something. I want to enjoy it more, not live beating myself up for doing something wrong. What's the point if I can't enjoy some part of life, even as I improve with it?

Started playing with environments, just smaller ideas (as suggested by an awesome artist and pal of mine). I tried on with markers, tried to let myself go as far as value contrasts are concerned.
    Name:  jul27_treeShips.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  139.3 KB

I then started each day (I mean almost each day) to just try different enviroment ideas that come up in my head, or that are inspired by something I'd seen or thought of.

Name:  aug1_mysteryCity.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  28.2 KB

Name:  aug4_rise.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  71.4 KB

Name:  aug5_arch.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  252.2 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 795 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jazz, it's nice to see you're still working at improving your work, and I agree you shouldn't beat yourself up over it. Art is supposed to be enjoyable, not just the finished product but the process as well. I really enjoy the secret flower piece; it has such a serene atmosphere and a beautiful concept. The composition is very enjoyable as well. For the landscape studies, perhaps it would be beneficial to try out doing small, quick thumbnail sketches so you can sketch out your concept in a few minutes without rendering out the full-sized image. Then you could pick out the ones you like the best for more thorough study if you wished. Keep your chin up, and keep posting!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, dierat! I really appreciate what you say, because it's just nice to be reminded from others as well as myself, to relax and enjoy the art. Thanks so much about the secret flower pic, and that's a great idea regarding thumbnail concepts. I won't lie, for some reason I don't know "how" to make thumbnail concepts. I think too far ahead of those, so I never tried. It would be a good idea for me to start making ideas like that! I shall! ...I probably was supposed to try making these pics smaller anyway. Heh!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ohh,you got some nice stuff going on in here, sweet, i like your value paintings, smooth... : )

-We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

29. The Following User Says Thank You to The Jeso For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much, Rem! Hopefully I'll keep going upward with these!! I think I will. @_@

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, I haven't been here for a while! Well, I'll put the very latest "finished" and original piece up, since I'm here and since a little note above has encouraged me to.

This is an assignment from Noah Bradley's Art Camp 1, which is here: http://artcamp.com/

Name:  jw_feb20_volc_fin_sm.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  237.6 KB

I learned a great deal in that course. I have much more to learn, but at least I see that I've come a long way, PLUS I can create enviros...one day scenes! Always nice.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Members who have read this thread: 3