Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Just a little update. I'm going to try working on my background for the lonely kid. Problem arise, however.

Name:  THUMBlonely12.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  45.1 KB

This is pretty much what I want to start with. It's just a little thumbnail compared to how big the picture would have to be.

However, my old computer can't seem to handle the size that I'm trying for. It's a shame. So now I have to split the background into quarters so that PS won't crash on me.

I'm hoping the composition will work out. As usual, if you guys have suggestions, I'm all for them. Especially since backgrounds are my bane! XD Still, it's pretty close to what I want. Just a matter of detailing everything. Oh yeah! Don't mind the blotches I put on the child, as in, the mess. It's more for the lighting and where I want it. (the light on the leg looks off though. Hmph.)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey, Jazz -- Great to see that you're doing more life sketching. Keep it up. Your characters look good -- the male face in particular is really good. The background for your tail kid looks like a great start, also. I think it's a step forward for you. I like how you've put in the atmospheric perspective with the blue building silhouettes in the background. Keep in mind that as things get further away, they also lose contrast. I think you could make that more obvious to good effect. Get some layering going on with those background buildings.

How big are you doing this image? Think about if you can afford to scale it down a bit -- if you're not going to print it, you can get away with working at a lower resolution. Get rid of any unnecessary layers, also -- if your kid is made up of a bunch of layers, then create a new copy, and merge them. If you find that you need those layers again, you still have the backup.

ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"
    - _andreas_ - brunopicinini - funfetus - Suarezart -

Thanks
    Hi, funfetus!! It's been a while! I'm glad to see you back!

Thanks so much for the crits! I have to push those distant values to be less contrasted, so I'm glad you pointed that out!

The image is for fun, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to bring the size down. I wanted to get some good detail in, but at the size it is and the way my computer works, I guess it won't work unless I bring it down. I don't even have any layers! Usually I do, but this time I stuck with one, and it STILL takes forever! So, yes! I think I could do with bringing down the resolution, too. Thanks!

Thanks
    I agree with Funfetus. your male faces look very good on the males.

I think you should try mimicking some comic book artists to develop a better sense of a personal style since you seem to have the basics down quite well.

I do love your digi stuff. how do you get the folds down so well and your blending is top notch in my book haha. hope to see more very soon

EDIT: yes...i know the male faces look good on the males..i chose to leave it hahaha

Thanks
    hey! i really like where your going w the lonely kid painting. the environment really helps bring it out. i do like the lighting but it feels a bit strong almost like a spotlight, semi taking away from the lonelyness feel and moreso like hes going to be upducted by aliens=X perhaps u could throw some brighter hues into the wall on the right side. it is awsome though, again, great work w the colors. your progress is really nice to watch and really quite inspiring. hope all works out for you.

Thanks
    Mall people. I swear one of them was looking at me!
    Wear dark glasses if you get too self-conscious.8)

I think your people sketching habit is showing through in your original characters like Harrix. So keep it up! When I'm going for total symmetry I just pick the better half of say a face, copy that into another layer. Flip it, and after minor tweaking drop it down to the previous layer. Doesn't quite work with 3/4 orientations but it definitely helps even if I just want symmetrical eyes.

I like how the green haired character painting is evolving. Background's looking nice. The lighting reminds me of a theatrical style of lighting. Composition actually works hand in hand with your lighting scheme and night lit background. My only reservation is...is still the pose or silhouette of your figure Hair and drapery detailing works though. I think you can make your figure do what you meant him to do but posed stronger and clearer. Like make him obviously sad, sleeping, or pondering.

And that's my honest feedback for today. You can do whatever you please of course.

Thanks
    Heyo!! Mmmm...I smell spring rolls and they sure smell GOOD! The last couple of days were nice. Getting help regarding what to take as an elective; drawing; actually being out of the house. It was nice!! ...Except the fog horn during a ferry ride. Very VERY loud. But it was nice and foggy. Do you ever just want to capture that fog in a picture? There were patches of it, and some covered buildings high up!

Thanks, guys, for the crits!! I'm learning so much everytime I come here! Makes me feel very good!

ped454: Ha ha ha!!! For a minute there, I worried that the rare female faces were looking like males!! XD I'm relieved now!!

Maybe I should get a better look at the comic artists. I do feel narrow in my stylistic approach. And thank you about the shading!!

kawakaze: Hello, hello!! ^_^ I'm so glad that you see inspiration in my works! *glee* As for the lighting...maybe he IS going to be abducted...ooooo Okay, kidding! Ha ha! I want to get a little light on him, but I'll try with lighting up the walls nearby a little better, and see what happens.

FlipMcgee: Hiyo!! Honest feedback works for me!! ^_^ Thanks a lot for it! It's too bad--I wear dark glasses all the time. Part of my prescription. Yet I still feel their eyes beaming through the lenses! I'm not self-conscious. Just paranoid! Ha ha!

Glad that tactic of mine is working on the faces! As for your technique, I've tried that and have been unsuccessful. But at that time it was because everything I drew was horribly distorted. Now I just try and measure out the face with my eye. ...Still workin' on it!

I'm glad you like how the Lonely painting is going! It's too bad the pose still doesn't sit well with you though. Perhaps you could show me some examples though, of what you'd expect to see. This time I'll make the loneliness show through with the whole atmosphere. Next time I'll try putting more emotion into the character's form and face!

----

Okay!! No painting this week! Shame. But I'll maybe work on it next week. I'm sure getting tired of sketching people. I mean, each and every day. Ha ha!

This time I was at the waterfront! Heh...ferry, fog horn, pirates, bagpipes...it was great fun to be there! And I had a yummy hamburger and iced tea! ^_^ Here's my journey through town these past days.

I was at a point that first day where I just couldn't draw from life! So I fooled around at a mall and made these crappy faces! I do like a couple of them though, so here they are! Emotionless and disproportioned for the most part!
    Name:  june21summerFaces.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  77.1 KB

I went to the library and just decided to sketch a bit from magazines. Harper's Bazaar has neat poses sometimes!! Wish I had a red pen for the colour of one girl's hair.
    Name:  june21mag1.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  20.3 KB

Name:  june21mag3.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  61.1 KB

Name:  june21mag4.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  43.0 KB

Next day, I went to the waterfront and actually drew people! But first...I tried and failed with this pose. I must try again later. Truth is, I really don't know how one would jump through the air, about to strike with a scythe. Couldn't find refs, either.
    Name:  june22badPose.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  46.0 KB

I got some nice remarks about drawing stuff. So that was cool! I just stood, sat, whatever. I couldn't get the pirate kids so...oh well I got regular land-lubbers. One playing the bagpipes. I missed a good pose from him. He's holding up his bagpipe in the second pic.
    Name:  june22wfront1.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  60.3 KB

Name:  june22wfront2.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  42.0 KB

Went to the art college after, for that help I mentioned. It felt funny sketching a student in student services. :3
    Name:  june22artCol2.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  20.3 KB

After a while I went to the nearby mall and drew some weird looking characters. Just thought them up on a whim, with my messy lines. I don't usually do this, but I thought I'd have fun, even with bad proportions! I know I love those anime-esque faces. Maybe one day I'll have something else.
    Name:  june22sparky.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  58.5 KB

Name:  june22ranky.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  74.4 KB

Name:  june22udris.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  44.9 KB

Name:  june22shopping.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  48.9 KB

Thanks
    Good update, Jazz. Your anime characters look great -- that's obviously where you've spent most of your time. The poses are really dynamic, too. I think it'd be nice if you'd push the poses on life sketches a bit further, like these. The point of these quick gesture sketches is largely to capture the "swing" of a pose, rather than to capture it exactly as it is. You can obviously feel the energy of the poses in your anime characters. Try putting a bit of that into your life sketches. Imagine yourself in the pose -- imagine what it feels like. Then draw that. Speaking of your life sketches, they're getting a lot better. It's crazy how that happens when you keep doing something.

ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"
    - _andreas_ - brunopicinini - funfetus - Suarezart -

Thanks
    Hey, funfetus!! Thank you so much!

It's quite true...I was totally doing the anime thing lately! Ha ha! More than I've shown. *blush* :3 That's cool that the characters are looking more dynamic!

Ugh...when I see the real life people, I see someone sitting, just lazy as anything. It's boring and relaxing, and I can't see anything past that! And I'm sitting there, not wanting to be in their pants, so to speak. I wonder how one captures that life in someone just hangin' on a bench and holding their coffee without drinking any of it!

Oooh, but yay about my life sketches getting better! I think I see it, too! ^_^ Practice DOES help! Wow!

Thanks
    Perhaps you could show me some examples though, of what you'd expect to see.
    Here's something I whipped up to communicate better what I'm seeing and my suggestions to make the pose stronger.

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/6...estionssn4.jpg

----------
    Nice! Lotsa life and animation in your "weird looking characters". Last one, the girl with the bags, has that Miyazaki vibe to her design and body language.

Thanks
    Hey, FlipMcgee! I really appreciate the examples, much clearer to me for suggestions. ^_^ I see what you mean now! Actually, with the tail, I knew there was a problem with my version, but I didn't feel like changing it at the time. XD But I knew it looked off, too. So I agree with the placement. I also agree with the shoulder.

I think I'm fine with the hair and ears as I have them, because the hair is over the eyes, which I'm sure might look the way you have sketched there. But with hair like that, you can't really see the ears back any. I just wanted to show them.

I have plenty of trouble with conveying emotions through several means, so I'm glad you showed me that. It'll be good for the next time I try something like this.

And thank you about the newest sketches! Cool about the Miyazaki vibe! I had to look him up because I didn't even know who you meant! It's funny what one comes up with while looking at a fountain. XD

Thanks
    Hey! The girl on the second page is cute! ....and the guy top right on the first page is......not. Fetus already said it, but these poses are dynamic.. the anime poses are cool, would like to see more of these (maybe a bit cleaner =) )

Why not creating ref yourself for the scythe dude if you cant find one? Ask a friend to pose a few min, or use a camera to capture poses if you have one or stand in front of the mirror and..... JUMP QUICK ACTIONPOSE (ok ok i think you get the point)

You are getting better Jasmine, keep it up

Thanks
    wow! I love some of those poses in this last post. All the last four are really nice, but especially like this one and this one. Not sure if you are planning on doing anything else with those characters but they look good!

Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.