Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Hee hee! Thanks a lot, Bruno! True, they're still rough around the edges...and inside them, too. >_< Whenever I make just one line, it's as if I used the "Liquify" tool from Photoshop. XD I'll try again, though. ^_^

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh! I replied yesterday, but I must've forgotten to hit send!

Anyway -- great work, Jazz. The life drawings look good, especially the last one where you did the shading. If you want to make the torso look like it's leaning forward, you probably need to put less shading on it, so that it looks like the surface is more fully in the light. It does seem like you have some proportion issues, particularly the leg on the second one. Remember to measure all the parts against each other.

The sketches from imagination are cool, too. Some of them look a little stiff in the spine, though. Time to potato sack it! Use the construction of the potato sack to understand the torso twists and folds, and PUSH it.

Keep drawing!
    ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"
    - _andreas_ - brunopicinini - funfetus - Suarezart -

4. The Following User Says Thank You to funfetus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    So, seems i'm not the only one who is missing posts in this thread! 100% sure I made a reply, but i cant see it now lol

Hey Jazz, everything ok these days? Good sketching, fetus already pointed out the anatomy issues so not going to bother My favorite one is the lady in red, really well done Keep it up, Shea

Thanks
    Must...post!! >_< So sorry that I haven't! I really took off time!

funfetus: That is AWESOME! Potato sack it!! Yeah, I think I'll try that! ^_^ Thanks for the advice and the visuals!! I'll try to measure better. I should probably attempt to get closer sometimes. That might help me.

shea: It's been hectic lately. Since my job and a BUNCH of family and friend-related stuff (and school, ugh.), I've been frazzled. But I'd been sketching things, just not to my expectations. Thanks a bunch! ^_^

----

So, as said above, it's been hectic. Look at how long it took me to post in here! Seems like I'm less dedicated, but I feel really guilty for not being able to participate so much. I'll just show a few things from the past...several days. Not much this time! I have stuff today, but I'll wait to show 'em! Bah to no colouring yet! >_<

Playing with MS Paint and Photoshop. Sometimes I go overboard with overlapping lines and such. I ruin the picture! But some parts manage to stay in tact.
    Attachment 178129

Attachment 178133

Attachment 178135

This one is quite similar to whisper_wm's Red Poem, that I got the honour and drawing. I guess that could be another try at her face.
    Attachment 178146

Poses I did, in which most of them are of people on the ferry.
    Attachment 178164

I liked the lips. The proportions and pose are strange otherwise. o_O
    Attachment 178147

Attachment 178160

Attachment 178149

Faces. Really, this is crap. But I kind of like how parts of the facial structures turned out!
    Attachment 178159

I made up a character for a story I'm finally writing. I made some heads but I just didn't upload them.
    Attachment 178174

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Jazz, have you been studying anatomy? I see such a difference in your work.
    You go, girl.....

Thanks
    alesoun!! I haven't seen you in a while! I gotta stop by your SB!

Thanks SO much! I've been doing a lot of live stuff, but only briefly, people on the ferry to and from work! ^_^

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    I've been busy and reaally blocked, Jazz! I'm trying to see what I can do on the CHOW thread for Gangus. Only my second ever acrylic painting, though, so my hopes aren't too high on that!
    Looks to me that the way you see things is changing......

Thanks
    Wow, Jazz. A few of the heads on this update are on a whole other level. The first, second, and especially the girls with the glasses, are excellent. The glasses girl reads really well as a top view, and the first couple of heads have excellent form.

Your gestures are still looking a bit stiff. Try using one or two long, flowing lines to get down the overall "swing" of the figure. Check out this Glenn Vilppu material for some examples.

Excellent progress! I know you don't have a lot of time, but keep posting when you can, it's great to see.
    ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"

Thanks

b-daaaayy... >:(

GAAAAH!!!! I HATE WHEN THE NET SCREWS UP MY POST!!!!

I had this freakin' nice post and NOW IT'S GONE!!

*sigh*

Well I'll reiterate. I'm 27 today, now with a vein throbbing in my head.

alesoun: I hate the blocked feeling. But I'm rooting for you with the CHOW!! I think it's so awesome that you're doing it!

funfetus: Thanks a lot regarding the faces and expressions! I actually have that link, and I think I got it from you a while ago!! But I forgot about it, so thanks for reminding me! Gah, will I never slip out of the stiffness? ;_;

---

Phew...-_- These ones are the rest of my last batch. I have more but I'll worry about them later.

Poses.
    Attachment 180423

Attachment 180425

Attachment 180426

I loved this one. People (not just kids) were playing on a wave sculpture. They were climbing, sliding, stumbling...heh! You name it! Not supposed to climb it, but we do it anyway. *shame/fun* ^_^
    Attachment 180427

Character drawings are always so personal. The second one is of a character I had for a few years. I got such surprisingly unhelpful crits from great artists, that I was discouraged with even showing my characters. Now I draw heads. I just hope I have their expressions decent.
    Attachment 180428

Attachment 180429

Thanks
    Happy birthday, Jazz! (I just hit 28 myself, so I've got you beat. Or you've got me beat. )

Good work -- your sketches are showing more looseness now, and the poses are getting better. The first figure on the second page in particular has a nice feel to it. It's always good to get some action going on between the hips and the shoulders. "Contrapposto", I think it's called.

The characters look cool. Your "constructed" heads are always pretty good. I notice that there's a lot of sketchiness going on in the lines, though. I'd suggest working out your structure very lightly and then, when you know for sure where you're going to put your final line, "ghost" it over the page a few times, tracing the line without putting your pencil down, then hit that one line nice and smooth.

Good to see you still posting, Jazz -- keep it up!
    ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"

Thanks
    Hey, funfetus! Thanks a lot for the "ghosting" and "Contrapposto" advice!! I think I've grown a habit of drawing every line with GREAT contrast so I could see what I was doing. o_o Only more lately have I been lighting things up, letting my eyes adjust. So I'll try again! ...Doesn't help that I used a medium-thick pen. Heh. XD

Oooooh, and thank you for the b-day wish!! ^____^

Thanks
    Belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Compelling facial expressions in post #159! They look like what a classical animator would do. Impressed you tried different head angles with expressions. I think I'll try that as an exercise sometime.

That kidbot/Pinochio-like design you have in post #149 looks interesting. Is that his pet bird? I like to call the bird Chirpy for some reason. I'd be curious too see how you can draw him in different gestures. His designs looks kinda fun to pose. I like the big smile head next to him too. Maybe another sidekick?

Since you do a lot of gesture drawings, have you tried using a soft, dull pointed graphite? Try it out. Make swooshing lines for the line of action and flow.

checkout this artist's work: http://www.drawingforce.com/gallery/...g_gallery.html

Thanks
    Thanks a lot, FlipMcgee!! Hee hee!! I'm not sure if the bird is a pet or not, but he could be! Chirpy?? Ha ha ha! I bet he'd hate that name, all the more reason to call him that! XD

I have yet to try softer graphite. Maybe I should take a look at the art store for some! And that art in the link you sent is REALLY good! So interesting!!

---

This has been a taxing week. I bet I've said "taxing" more than enough. Always discouraging myself, never looking to see how I'm progressing. Well, tonight I feel as though I really have been making steps forward! Even with the bit of time I have to draw things.

I don't have time to COLOUR things yet, but BOY do I miss colouring with my tablet. >_< While I'm still REALLY busy (actually, seems like I'll never truly have rest), I'll show more sketches from the ferry, and some just conjured up in my head!

Attachment 183672

Attachment 183673

Attachment 183674

This is supposed to be a character, but I couldn't think of her costume, so she's still naked.
    Attachment 183675

Attachment 183676

I gave up after the weirdly angled head tilt. Heh.
    Attachment 183677

No idea...but I liked using the red!
    Attachment 183678

Attachment 183679

Didn't really want to show this one because of the hideous faces. BUT, I do kinda like how the legs are shaped. Proportion is still strange, so I need more references and just more practice. Heh...remind me to look at snouts and muzzles some more. XD I was never one to do that. Shame. -_-
    Attachment 183680

This costume must be the best one I made in a looooong while. I sure need help!!
    Attachment 183681

Thanks
    Great update, Jazz! Your life-sketches are looking better and better, and your characters look good as always. I really like the first and second pages. Really natural poses. You mentioned problems with proportion -- the thing I'm seeing most is that you tend to draw arms too long. The elbow should hit right at the navel level if the arm is hanging straight down. If the arm is up or out or whatever, just imagine swinging it down to the side in an arc, and see if the elbow lines up right. You also tend to draw heads too short from front-to-back. Everyone seems to do that for a while -- I still do it when sketching from life sometimes. The head, in profile, should fit approximately into a square, not counting the nose and chin. Also, bring the flesh under the jaw down a bit. Your jawline is right, but the flesh rounds out a bit below the bone. Everything else about those faces looks good, though.

By the way, I finished Cowboy Bebop -- thanks for the recommendation, it was pretty good. I'm watching Evangelion now -- you kinda got me restarted on the anime.

Anyway, keep it up, Jazz -- you're doing great, and it's good to see you posting when you can.
    ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"

Thanks
    Thanks a lot, funfetus! I really appreciate you showing me where the problem areas lie! Yeah, I keep forgetting how long the head is in profile! As for the arms, I normally do the arch rotation thing! How weird! I guess I was doing it right! I also think I forgot to do it this time. -_-; And I think I got some wrong info from somewhere about where the elbow should start! Hate when that happens.

Awesome about the poses looking more natural! I'm on my way!

Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast