Art: Making\grinding ones own acrylics plus

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Making\grinding ones own acrylics plus

I recently had a course at school were we explored different kinds of paints and made our own acrylics,tempera,casein and oil paints. Anyway – our teacher said we did not have to grind the pigments when mixing it with the pva binder, it was enough to just mix the pva binder with the pigments accourding to him.-We however had to grind the pigments in the linseed oil when we made oil paints. I asked him why one does not have to do the same when making acrylics, and I don`t think he was particularly clear in his answer.

Anyway I made my own acrylics “ blending” the pigments directly with the pva binder, and I discovered that my “self made” acrylics had a glowing vitality and was semi shiny, and different to the acrylic I`ve used before(I think it might have something to do with the pva binder) – Anyway the paintfilm seems to be cracking, so I was wondering if anybody knows of any additives one can include “in the mix” to make the acrylic film more flexible ( when making/grinding ones own acrylics ) Do one include “ingredients” other than pigments and binder when making or manufacturing acrylics?

+We had access to genuine cadmium red pigments. I don`t really feel comfortable handling heavy metals in pigment form. Is it enough protection using rubber gloves and a dust mask?

Different manufacturers do make “ acrylic varnishes”, but I asked my teacher if one could varnish pictures painted with acrylics with dammar varnish, and he confirmed this. “ Is it true?” – Why would manufactures bother with making special acryl varnishes if they could manage with e.g.dammar. Maybe the acrylic varnishes are less harmful for ones health and can be diluted in water in stead of turps?

+last question-when painting in oils – is it possible to clean the brushes in corn oil?-I`ve heard you can use safflower oil?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    All I know is that pigments in powder form are dangerous - even the ones that aren't heavy metals can have poisonous properties. Use gloves and a mask, and don't wear your dusty clothes home afterward. Don't use the stuff in any workspace that you plan on working in later wothout a mask. And don't use it in your home.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.