Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.
Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!
Here's a little work I just completed this week. The original design came from Ramiel with a heavy steampunk influence and a back story of a Victorian Science group. (see the plaque)
Then I went ahead and built the actual using lasercut/engraved plexiglass, a little bit of PVC pipe, and some copper wire for the coil.
I then proceeded to mold it making it hollow with a removable back so that electronics and further modifications could be done easily.
And the first casts waiting to be painted. Molded in 12 pieces with copper wire coil.
Right now, the possible finishes are going to be British Racing green and a hammered metal finish. The finished piece is approx. 8" x 5"
Last edited by Grapplebats; March 5th, 2007 at 01:05 AM.
Very cool piece. Could you give a little more info on the "Then I went ahead and built the actual using lasercut/engraved plexiglass" part? Is there a resolution to this process? Do you have to sand the piece afterwards?
For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. (John 3:17)
I'm also curious about your process of creating the actual prop, do you have a friend with the Laser Cutter or are you lucky enough to own one yourself?
Nice job by the way!!
Thanks for the interest and hopefully I can answer some questions by showing a little more of the process.
My process is fairly simple, I draw up the object in Illustrator and then begin breaking it down into it's component pieces. I then have plexiglass and other materials of varying thickness that I can use to make the components. The nice thing about the laser (which is part of my shop equipment) is, it allows me to cut and engrave the part, and to some extent, make 3d shapes. All the bevels on this project were created directly on the laser. It's also handy to have pvc pipes of all diameters handy for creating things like the tanks and display. I also keep a good stock of styrene shapes for things like the really small tubing and the tube on the bottom of the steam tank, is a piece of sprue from a model kit that was heated gently and bent into shape.
Hope this is a little help to someone. If you have any more questions - let 'em rip!
And the start of both paint schemes.
First is "Racing Green" with copper and steel accents.
Next is "Hammered Metal", haven't decided on the accents yet.