Sketchbook: Sketches last updated 4/29

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Sketches last updated 4/29

This is my first post. I go to CCAD. Im a Freshman majoring in illustration and gearing everything towards Concept Design. I went to the illustration meeting to declare my major and SprayNation and Matyas were both seniors there to talk to underclassman and they both said ConceptArt.ORG! GO NOW! So here i am. I am open to a good crit. Be brutal if you must. Any and All comments are welcome.[IMG][/IMG]

Attached Images Attached Images                                                                          
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    sorry if the sizes are a bit wonky... and somethings are randomly from last semester.

Thanks
    This stuff is just bad.... Just Kidding! Stuff looks great. There's stuff on here I haven't even seen yet

Thanks
    LOL, what's up Mr. Lyon! Glad to see you on the boards. I was hesitant to start a sketchbook when I first came here, but once I did I learned alot! Check out other peep's sketchbooks frequently too. You can learn alot about yourself as an artist simply by looking. Oh, and for some reason CCAD has a reputation of coming off as arrogant and big-headed. So don't feel bad for being shunned just because of where you go to school. It was probably instigated by the school vs. school thunderdomes we used to have. There are actually a few students that are out to prove they are better than everyone else. I think it's pretty humorous though. CA Drama, lol. Anyway, update regularily and more people will show interest in your sketchbook.

Some good figure drawings here bra'! Your at a solid level for your age. Just nurture the talent. Study bridgeman's and focus on all of the fundamentals. Drawing is most important. Your conceptual work will only be as good as your work from life, so don't expect to paint a complex scene from your head if you can't do it from life. Anyway, just make sure you take figure drawing classes dispersed over four years at CCAD. And if your figure drawing teachers don't emphasize substantial gesture drawing before longer poses, smack that motherfucker. Rendering is important, but not nearly as important as the lines underneath. Otherwise, you just end up polishing crusty turds, lol. Anyway, I'll drop by here and there. Honestly though, I haven't been posting much for a while. Too busy writing papers and other bullshit. Anyway, good luck to you dude!

Eric

Thanks

more stuff.

these are just some value studies and concepts for some past assignments except for the last one done in charchol.

Thanks
    Hey all this is very nice, but if youy study perspective it will really make a difference, i recommend you to get andrew loomis books, "succesfull drawing" is the one that teaches perspective, get all loomis books, they are great , post often, study hard

Thanks
    thanks for the post ill be sure to check out that book. Loomis is a name i have been hearing alot.

Thanks
    !!!!!

I can't think of any better way of putting it. This is an EXCELLENT start for a sb. I can't believe the amount of stuff you've posted already and it all appears to be top notch. Man you will have tons of people commenting on your work if you keep posting stuff like this.

Gotta love illustration. I envy you for already having succeeded in getting into college. I'm a senior in highschool, and it looks like it's going to be a daunting task.
    Go for it man, take advantage of being in school and being around people who know what you are doing. Ask lots of questions and learn as much as you can.
    The same goes for this site. Half of the experience is posting your art and getting feedback on it, the other half is going out and learning from other artists.

Thanks for the kind words in my sb. I haven't progressed near as much as I'd like, but once I actually get some serious instruction (i'm self taught except for this website and a few months of tutoring) I hope to become drasticly better.

Keep up the good work and post lots.

Thanks

a bit more stuff...

i downloaded some loomis books. and tried to apply it to a few things here and there. the sniper is just a guy i drew in my Art History class.

Thanks
    Erm...

Edit: Your good

Note to self: START DRAWING FROM LIFE!!

Thanks

still goin strong

im trying to sketch alot but still space it out enough that i dont burn out and take a hiatus... tell me what you think. Crit me PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Hey man, great sketches. You're actually doing very well. Unfortunately I can't rip your stuff to shreds because I think you're on the right track :p I know you've heard this a lot but just keep drawing and keep studying, the only way to get stronger is through lots of repetition. I can see you've already got the basics of how to lay down the foundation of the form. Pay attention to proportions and the natural curves of the body, and I'd definitely like to see more focus on hands and feet. This last piece for instance, the forearm is a bit long, and the neck seems a bit off-center (too far to his left). And those fingers could use a bit more form. It'd be really beneficial do to more hand studies. But you're doing great, keep drawing!

Thanks
    You have a nice variety of pics here. Very accurate shading and good observation. I think theres something wrong with your biceps, I think it looks too big and unnatural. Sometimes the proportions are a bit off, but just sometimes.

Troll

Thanks

OOPS forgot one...

thanks alot that was some good stuff ill be sure to watch the proportions on the limbs and biceps. ill keep posting if you keep keepin me informed. THANKS!

Thanks
    Whats up Alex, This thread is looking pretty nice. Your later sketches show a deeper understanding of the human figure versus your earlier ones. The gestures from your figure drawing class I am the most impressed with, because they show a lot of force and tension, which would be great frame work for some of your character designs. Like you mentioned in your message, there are some proportion problems. I would definetly suggest Hogarth's dynamic figure drawing book (not the title, but look up Hogarth and youll find it), he is one of the best sources for understanding the human figure, not the greatest drawings, but if you actually read what he is saying youll truly understand the figure and how it works a lot better. Once you feel real, real comfortable with the firgure, move onto clothing and how different types of clothing drape on the figure, and move onto studing miscelleneous things for off the wall designs. I would also simplify your lines, your using too many of them. Get the confidence to make continuous accented lines from thin to thick to clean things up, look at some Ashley Wood for some inspiration in that regaurd. Ill check back later and feel free to chat it up sometime on campus.

Laituh
    Brian

Thanks

just another post

these are a few more sketches a few life drawings. i went to a workshop after class. 9 hours of straight studio classes today it was nuts. im tired. haha. the other one is a guy jumping through the air that a inked with a messed up foot.

Thanks
    Sup man, dunno if I can really offer any useful advice but here goes. Your life studies are very, very well done. I really like them. I see you have great observation skills, but your sketching from the mind is a little behind the rest. Like post 11 that says "why isn't this figure dynamic", I'd say because the figure is too stiff, but moreso that the anatomy doesn't work so well. His arms are upward, yet his pecs are tense as though he's doing a flat bench press. His chest muscles should be stretched out pretty thin in that pose, even for a big guy. Also they don't tie into the delts as they should.

You could always use yourself for reference if needed. I do it sometimes. Pretty much everything MATYAS said, I'd say. Said you wanted some tips in my sb. Here you go: hands, hands hands. I draw them all the time from my head for practice. I'm not as good as the pros, but I'm getting more comfy with them for sure.

Keep it up, and check out hogarth sometime. Laters

Thanks
    awsome studies, your stuff is looking great. come guide me on my studies

Thanks

more stuff

wow i have really gotten out of sync. going on spring brake really got me out of the habit of sketching when i can. iv only been back for a week so this is all iv got.

Thanks
    thanks guys, MrBobMarley: yeah i know what you mean. thank god in class we jsut covered the upper torso like a day ago haha. maybe that will help me a tad. its coming along but i just need to keep on it. between this and homework god... i wonder how much longer my girlfriend will want me. haha.(uncomfortable silence)...but yeah thanks alot for the posts guys.

Thanks

most recent paint.

this is the only other digital thing i have really finished aside from my avatar....which by the way is a tad more impressive a little bigger lol.

impressive for me at least...

Thanks

finally a few more sketches

between the break and homework this is the first time in like two weeks that i have sketched for fun...out of my head. and i can tell... thats not a good thing.*sigh*

Thanks

new paint

this is the second part of my color concepts class series. crit please. all my digital paint is guess work haha.

Thanks

a few sketches from todays drawing class.

these are all from the same model. he always come up with some really great poses.

Thanks
    nice concept art you got here Mr. Lyon! and i can see you're working on your life drawing. keep up the good work!

Thanks

just a sketch up date.

some doodles during a lectures and a figure from the sketch workshop.

Thanks
    wow...............

'Education is our passport to the future,
    for the future belongs to the people who prepare for it today.'
    Malcom X

God is love.

Sketchbook

BLOG

Looking for work

Thanks

second paint im happy with. haha.

i think from having a teacher i want to slap and having to redo half of my assignments im really starting to see a progression in my digital. but man is it slow.

Thanks

its been to long since i posted last

this is my latest paint along with most recent life drawing and a few sketches from the Zoo. a majority of the zoo sketches are of elephants in prep for the Ganesh paint. along with a few other parts of The elephant themed series im doing. give me some Crit! i could use it im sure...

Thanks
    WOW
    Those are really good, and I like the paper that you used by the first pictures of yours (with the muscles).
    I am awaiting the next ones, perhaps I'll become so good as you some day^^

Regards
    BeN

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.