what to do...

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: what to do...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

what to do...

i am currently about to start school for concept design. but im wondering if i can do graphic design along with it. do they require different courses? there is no graphic design without concept design right? i would like to do advertising in the future. is it hard to get a concept art job? or should i also do graphic design as a backup?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It depends on how motivated you are. If you are going to art school for four years, and are truly dedicated, I'm sure someplace will be interested in your concept design skills. By concept design though, do you mean preproduction sketches like characters and monsters and enviros, or like Product design, designing consumer goods? I'm not sure what you mean by "there is no graphic design with concept design". What comes to mind for GD is Labeling and packaging and logos, For CD I think of drawings for 3d modellers to use as a base for their models. I don't quite see how one could beget the other.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by wastedxyouth
    i am currently about to start school for concept design. but im wondering if i can do graphic design along with it. do they require different courses? there is no graphic design without concept design right? i would like to do advertising in the future. is it hard to get a concept art job? or should i also do graphic design as a backup?

Whoa dude! You seem to be all over the place here. You say you're going into concept design and yet you're thinking about graphic design AND advertising all in the same breath. All of these disciplines are unique and distinct; they can also work hand in hand with one another as well.

As far as getting that job, I'd much rather have you go into something you feel passionate about rather than settling for back-up plans.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Oaksford
    It depends on how motivated you are. If you are going to art school for four years, and are truly dedicated, I'm sure someplace will be interested in your concept design skills. By concept design though, do you mean preproduction sketches like characters and monsters and enviros, or like Product design, designing consumer goods? I'm not sure what you mean by "there is no graphic design with concept design". What comes to mind for GD is Labeling and packaging and logos, For CD I think of drawings for 3d modellers to use as a base for their models. I don't quite see how one could beget the other.
    yeah, im quite a mess. im going to a 4 year art school. i havent applied yet so im still trying to find the right school. by concept design, i meant character design and environments (though im an amateur at environments and get frustrated with it easily) i do enjoy creating characters. i think i'm pretty much open to drawing anything. i have no limit to what i would like to do as long as it involves art.

as you can see i'm pretty new at concept art and i ran into this site not long ago. i've heard that concept art can be used in different medias like film, games, storyboards and such and can be used in a variety of jobs. ive been floating around community college not knowing what to do. but i truly want to get better at my drawing skills and get my degree over with to find a job. graphic design was a first choice but in terms of skills and convienence, i'd rather do concept art and better myself. i guess i'm just wondering which would benefit in jobs a bit easier.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Graphic designers generally work with text, and with images others have created. Illustrators make images. Concept artists are illustrators. The marketing field employs illustrators and graphic designers. The verdict: choose between illustration and graphic design. While it is possible to do both, focus on just one first.

There’s info on concept art as it applies to games in the “games industry” link in my sig. . .

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Storyboard Dave
    Whoa dude! You seem to be all over the place here. You say you're going into concept design and yet you're thinking about graphic design AND advertising all in the same breath. All of these disciplines are unique and distinct; they can also work hand in hand with one another as well.

As far as getting that job, I'd much rather have you go into something you feel passionate about rather than settling for back-up plans.
    that is true. passion comes first. honestly, i want to do as many things as i can once i graduate. character designs, scenery, commercials, websites, prints and all that. i guess i dont exactly have one concentration. but i am leaning towards concept art. im hoping that concept art will open more doors for me. im just afraid that if it doesnt work out, i'll be struggling to pay the bills. graphic design sounds a bit more stable. i dunno.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you go rushing into a specific field for the money, you can bet a lot of other new grads are doing the same. That means higher competition and less money.

Also, don’t specialize so much just yet. Learn general illustration skills, and you can be a concept artist, AND a freelance book illustrator, AND an editorial illustrator, etc., all in one life-time, and perhaps all in the same week.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedling
    If you go rushing into a specific field for the money, you can bet a lot of other new grads are doing the same. That means higher competition and less money.

Also, don’t specialize so much just yet. Learn general illustration skills, and you can be a concept artist, AND a freelance book illustrator, AND an editorial illustrator, etc., all in one life-time, and perhaps all in the same week.
    that makes sense. thats what im hoping to do in the art school im attending. thanks for the tips. also, its not exactly about the money. i do want do what i love as a career. seeing all the talent on here inspires me to be just as good. i dont see myself in the future doing anything else but drawing, designing, creating.

Last edited by wastedxyouth; March 3rd, 2007 at 01:28 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that is true. passion comes first. honestly, i want to do as many things as i can once i graduate. character designs, scenery, commercials, websites, prints and all that. i guess i dont exactly have one concentration. but i am leaning towards concept art. im hoping that concept art will open more doors for me. im just afraid that if it doesnt work out, i'll be struggling to pay the bills. graphic design sounds a bit more stable. i dunno.

You speak of passion in one sentence and then you lose your nerve in the following sentences. What's it going to be? Sometimes you just have to be brave enough to go against all conventional wisdom and strive for what will give you a lifetime of happiness.

Because if we all wanted financial stability, I'm thinking we'd all became morticians (bad job security joke here).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Storyboard Dave
    You speak of passion in one sentence and then you lose your nerve in the following sentences. What's it going to be? Sometimes you just have to be brave enough to go against all conventional wisdom and strive for what will give you a lifetime of happiness.

Because if we all wanted financial stability, I'm thinking we'd all became morticians (bad job security joke here).
    haha. yeah...maybe im overthinking too much. it's just been bothering me a lot lately. im glad i got some answers though. there are a ton of opportunities out there, right? and if i lose one, i just gotta brush it off and keep trying. i think i'll stick with concept art and see how things go from there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha. yeah...maybe im overthinking too much. it's just been bothering me a lot lately. im glad i got some answers though. there are a ton of opportunities out there, right? and if i lose one, i just gotta brush it off and keep trying. i think i'll stick with concept art and see how things go from there.

It never hurts to ask for opinions about what career you think you'd be best suited for but at the end of the day, I would still have you look inside and see what makes you happy. Also if you're passionate about a certain field, you'll make your own opportunities. People will see that you're committed to it and will realize your skills.

Good luck!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.