Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Iron Grip work

Thanks

Iron Grip work

Howdy!

Here's some work I did for the project Iron Grip by Isotx.
    First off is a promotional illustration for the game where an army of machinery and troops march into this baroque/industrial mountain city.

Definitiely a cool project to be working on and I would be very exited seeing the end-product of this game and how it turns out. The airship was designed by Keith Thompson and I've seen some pretty cool work from him.. he definitely got that retro-steampunk ww2 look down. So I didnt mind working after that design at all. Although it would've been very cool to have a personal go on it for sure.

Iron Grip work

Below are some sketches for the invasion scene. The art direction for this project was definitely a delight, leaving me with alot of room for creative freedom.

Iron Grip work

Iron Grip work

Iron Grip work

This is for the cover of a comic book based on the game.

Iron Grip work

..and some very rough sketches. [edit, the faces that i threw into the composition was done by the penciller Jim Muniz]

Iron Grip work

A ballroom scene.

Iron Grip work

..and the first sketch for that scene. This is probably my personal favorite in this post.. felt good doing it. Fast and painless.

Iron Grip work

I learned alot with techniques and execution working on this. But as usual I'm now feeling pretty unmoved with my latest work knowing I will be able to pull this off alot better in the future.. but I guess thats a good thing right! =)
    Last edited by RasselTassel; March 3rd, 2007 at 04:00 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    duder thats waaaay 2 coool

Thanks
    Hey Rassel,

you're right...the last one speaks to me real loud...so juicy & unrestricted.
    The journey between a great rough to even better tight image is tough but you pulled it off in the first one - looks great! Perspective is off here and there but I applaud you for not using 3D.

Characters seem to be a bit of a struggle, I'd say concentrate on that...

Overall, you have a great ability to pull things off fast & to the point...this will serve you well as a working concept artist.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    ow woow. the first one is crazy

Thanks
    wow this whole idea looks really cool, great paintings to. ill be waiting for this comic to come out, is it getting regular distribution?

Thanks
    They're still working on that game? These look real nice. When is that project supposed to be finished?

Thanks
    OMG!!! that first one is just too cool. definitely has a steamboy/last exile feel to the machinery which is not a bad thing by any means. the painting itself is very, very nice! definitely primo desktop background material!!! hehe. nothing like nice art on your desktop.
    - I think it's official... I am the world's slowest painter

Thanks
    Dynamic-ism is spot on in the epic eviros. Brush strokes are simple but very powerful. The ball room scene is cool, probably my 2nd fave...

You can guess what my first fave is

KUDOS

Thanks
    I must say excellent work-throughs, it is very nice to see the paramilitary work, or the beginning work up to the final product. Thanks for posting these, it is quite refreshing for one such as myself who is mostly a pencil freak and does little colorizing of my drawings.

Time to break out the wAcom!

Cheers

Jillian
    <insert shameless self-promotional propaganda here>

Thanks
    Really nice job, Dan! Love the first two colored pieces! Someone needs to hire this man! ;-)

Thanks
    This is really great, this sketchy look

Thanks
    Thanks! So great to see the roughs.
    1st two knock my socks off.

Thanks
    The first one is great. Excellent atmospherics and painterly treatment...I can really feel that snow. Puts me in mind of a lot of those great slavick cities high in mountains. The composition is really fun too. The only critique I'd give in terms of the subject/story behind it is that it doesn't really feel like an invasion, or even a prelude to an invasion. There's very little tension here for a prelude, and little to show any kind of conflict, imminent or ongoing, between the airships and the city itself. (As a side note, I love Keith Thompsons work, very cool to see some of the stuff he's doing outside of his personal illustrations.)

The figures are definately the weakest part of all of these, especially in the last one. Very stiff and awkward. In contrast though, those busts on the bottom of the comic cover skethes are extremely nice.

Awesome work all around though, thanks for sharing!
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Aye, the finished invasion piece is a ripper. Really nice atmosphere and impeccable work on the buildings.

Thanks
    Thanks for dropping by guys!

mastahdude: thx dude : )

crazybrush: Hey man, I've been liking what i've seen from you lately.. nice life drawing post over at sijun!

Oh yeah I'm definitely not as comfortable doing characters as I am doing enviros... they're just too slow to do! It's weird though because i seem to do characters a whole lot better in different software and on paper than what i can do in photoshop.

I'll have to bust my ass doing some more characters : )

Yeah that first piece was finished using the good old line-tool.. so yeah there's perspective errors here and there that i can see.. but overall im okay with how it came out.. too late to correct anyhow >_>.. It's fair to mention that I did actually start doing the sketch over a rendered scene of just a few boxes in 3D in sketchup... but as you can see I dropped those as a guideline when i had to go into finishing. The scene changed too much over the time. Next time i should learn how to do a complete 3D-scene in a more advanced software for sure.. would speed things up even more.

Thanks!

bloab: Thank you bloab : )

evidence: Hmm i have no idea actually.. it was a first for me doing something comic-related. You could always check out www.isotx.com and ask there. But i think theyre aiming for a wide release. Thanks!

jfwalls: I have no idea when they started working on this game and when its supposed to be done.. all i know is that i gladly could keep on painting for such a project ; ) thx

VashTheStampede: Glad you like it!

Stark: Thats cool, glad you're feeling its dynamic.. that was definitely my aim. Thx!

discombobulated: Hehe.. yeah you should pick up that wacom ASAP for some painting! I was a pen and paper guy too once.. great times but the wacom is definitely key for learning to paint fast. Thanks!

robinchyo: Hey Robin! Yeah shiit freelancing is getting lonely .. but hey I'm getting my greencard in like 2-3 weeks so as soon as I have that I'll drag my ass to the states and get a job. Wont make it to GDC this time so hope you have a good time there! Thanks man.

Troll Skelking: Thanks

Idiot Apathy: Hey thanks!

fukifino: Oh yeah its definitely more of a silent invasion.. wasnt supposed to be much destruction.. its what they wanted : ). Yeah Keiths design work is way cool.. he should post here if he hasnt already. As for the figures... they always come last in my environment-paintings... they're there when I'm getting tired of the project and all i want to do is pull them of really fast.. and i havent really nailed that part yet.

Ahh yeah i have to point out that the faces that i threw into the composition for the cover_sketches were done by the penciller for the comic book, Jim Muniz.. couldnt take credit for that at all.
    Thanks!

j a k e: Aye, glad you like it Jake!

Thanks
    Tjena!

Fasen va kul, jobba med mister Keith Thompson . Han g&#246;r s&#229; otroligt roliga teckningar. Gillar dina covers och skissen till Ballrom b&#228;st, riktigt fint! L&#229;ter som det g&#229;r bra f&#246;r dig iallafall.

Sj&#228;lv k&#246;r jag p&#229; "din id&#233;" med att s&#246;ka svenska skolor &#228;n s&#229; l&#228;nge. Hoppas v&#228;l l&#228;ra mig n&#229;got under tiden, &#228;ven om jag har l&#229;ngv&#228;g innan jag kan bli n&#229;got &#228;n.

Forts&#228;tt g&#228;rna att posta. Tycker det &#228;r kul att "f&#246;lja dina poster"

.hugs
    Currently doing my internship at Muskedunder Interactive
    portfolio - deviantart

Thanks
    VERY nice! I like your last sketch the best as well

-Dallas
    Rasmus Poulsen - www.technouveau.net

Thanks
    Rassel!! Insane work man, thanks for sharing.
    /tgr

Thanks
    sweet stuff man. post more.

Thanks
    you know this stuff is solid, no need telling you, right?

Kollade in din site oxo f&#246;rresten, lots of goodness d&#228;r, hur f&#229;r du in s&#229; mycke textur i dina bilder? djungeln exempelvis? E de bara en j&#228;vla massa sm&#229; brushstrokes med skumma brushes? eller ligger de n&#229;tt annat magiskt krux bakom?

Anyhow I love your atmospheric lighting, but I find many of your shapes ... unpolished. You could push them further!

Thanks
    Oh wow, these are amazing. Your speeds are great, but the finished environments are just crazy. Its like a more believable steampunk.I love the compositions and the perspective on the first one. AMAZING!

Thanks
    Really seems like a hoot doing a project like this, the theme is wonderful! I love the first one, its a great scene with lotta feeling, the russian ww2 feeling of it is great!
    Really liked the third invasion sketch and the cover below it.... wth its all good!
    Hope its goin well for ya over there in 'stora amerikat', sure looks like it!
    Father Christmas will mess you up.
    Deviantart-page
    its my SKETCHBOOK! first page last page

Thanks
    MorteM: (ill reply in enrriish) Yeah it was nice seeing more of Keith's concept work.. i really dig seeing his steampunkified mind on paper. Good luck with the schools!.. i think you're doing the right thing there definitely. An artschool that is for free is hard to beat for sure. It's bad enough in the working life! But its definitely doable for sure if you really take your shit serious and treat it like a fulltime job (one that is a shitload of fun!). Tackar!

Hey Dallas! nice seeing you here. Havent seen much of you at sijun lately (havent been very visible myself : ).. but it would be great seeing more of your speeds, dig your work!

Tigermilk : ) Thanks man! keep your shit up I know its looking good!

ElvisMcVegas: I will! thx

Theo: (asking about textures in other works) Yeah when i think textures i see tons of solutions for it... alot of time i play around with funky brushes.. some times i use scanned artwork (gouache paintings etc) and at sometimes i use photos. Anything with interesting patterns could work as textures(did you ever catch coro's pube experiment? =)

If you want to create interesting depth in a painting its a good idea to play around with the layers in for ex photoshop alot combined with heavy brushwork. Throw in a photo of a rainforest if you want forest-texture.. fiddle with the layer settings... use the clone tool if you like certain areas better and clone those.. use funky ass brushes made from all sorts of captions. And dont be afraid of merging layers. I merge layers constantly so i can open up for tons of new layers with different settings and additions. Lets say over the painting process i could in some cases use 40+ layers.. but the final result usually consists of 1-3 layers. Photoshop can be too damn controlling at times so you just need to let the intuition take over some times. Sometimes I paint using only one layer as well depending on how im feeling. (i hope any of this makes sense....hah!)

And thanks! yeah i could always push the polishing but damn im too lazy.. need to find a faster solution now!

Havensk: Glad you like em! thanks : )

Orifice: Yeha it was a nice project to work on.. too bad it only was freelance off-sight work:] ..I'm actually in sweedamn but i should leave to the grand americat soon!

Thanks and hope things are well for yee!... damn still in high school right? : ) (yo latest shit is looking good!) "ooo the good old times" ..promise me you fill alot of sketchbooks in school.. especially when not in drawing-class!

here's 3 recent speedpaintings as well just to balance out the boring letters and shiet.

Iron Grip work

Iron Grip work

Iron Grip work

Thanks
    very good work you're showing here. I like your first pieces moe than the last ones you posted. I think the first ones have a greater sense of color and atmosphere, and are more compelling. 4 stars from me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 291 Posts
    good to see what u have been up to. doing some cool shit these days dude! i like that last speedie alot. keep em coming...-c36

Thanks
    Please polish up that last speed painting, dear friend! Please! :-)

Poland //Where bears walk down the street
    Thanks
    great speedpaintings and concept designs
    ****stars for you
    cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 469 Posts
    great posts!!

you're rocking it as always buddy!
    and please, finish the last painting

cheerS !

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    God damn, that first one is almost TOO epic ;-)
    Sweet stuff as usual!

Thanks
    the pattern on the floor in the first post last painting is super cool. how exactly did u get that into the painting? seems like it would have taken forever to render it by hand.

anyhow the world war 2 alternate history stuff is sweet! absolutly love it.
    OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

-Fear is the enemy of Imagination - Andrew Jones-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast