Hesitant to join the job market.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Hesitant to join the job market.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hesitant to join the job market.

This is something that has been bothering me for a while now. I've been jumping around school or the past few years, switching majors and just basically testing every impulse i get. aka, wasting time. My father is an art teacher, and he has been pushing me to enter the market place because my art is at an 'acceptable' level for my age. (some quick ref of me:[1] [2] [3])

I guess where I am going wrong is I don't know exactly where to begin. I have almost no professional experience and I'm not finished with school. I've worked on a few projects years back which went no place (online companies, bah) and really grinded me hard, working pretty much for free. I've been studying for a while, and even though I personally don't see myself as being on a professional level, I know it is time to take a leap and start filling in that blank resumé. So where exactly can i begin? I know I can try to snag jobs posted in this section of CA with hopes, but I am asking a bit more on a general scale. I'm looking for work on a full-time basis but I'm not positive on how to go about getting there.
    The saying "step 1: draw. step 2: ???. step 3: profit!" comes to mind here.

Unfortunately, the advisors at my college havn't been helpful at all, and simply tell me that the school will work with me when i graduate with job placement. Sadly, by changing my field of study so often, graduation won't come for a few years still. I kinda need money sooner then a few years down the line...I just don't have the tolerance for flipping burgers or stocking shelves in a shoe store anymore, I'm 23 now.

So basically, any info or advice you guys can give me on how you got your start, or how you are starting up would be invaluable to me. What is a good way to ease into the field? I was thinking something like an internship, but again, not sure how to go about that.

Thanks in advance!

My work: [link]
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm sort of in the same boat as you! Almost the same age as well! I recently finished school and am trying to land that first job in the industry. First off, I need to build up a nice portfolio which is taking forever because of other life commitments.

First of all, what you're doing is a waste of time and very expensive as well! You need to sit down and decide what you want to do. Illustration, Concept Art, 3D, Graphic Design, etc? Decide what you want to do and then really focus all your energy and time on it. Mind you, what profession you decide now does not mean you have to stick with it forever. What's great about this industry is how easily your skills can transfer to other fields...with the exception of 3D...

And I agree, the best way to get your foot in the door is to get an internship and if you can't find one then offer to volunteer or join an online mod team if you want a job in the video games industry. Video game companies love to see outside experience such as online or real life mod teams.

The easiest way to find an internship is to ask! Reseach some companies that you may be interested in working for and email them if they're offering any internships. Sometimes, the companies may even post internships directly on their websites.

Lastly, DON'T rely on your school to help you. Yes, they may help you land a job (some of my friends were lucky to land a job through my school), but
    remember, they have thousands of other students that are in the same boat as you so it's up to you to get out there and look after your own butt!

Anyways, it's getting late so I'm going to stop now. Hopefully, I have helped you in some ways. Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Visit my website!

Devin Art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the thoughts Devvv, all very helpful

I'm starting a new portfolio as a base to build off of, and i guess an internship would be step two once I finish it. Still though, i would love to hear some stories of how some professionals did it, since trial and error will get me there, but will take a lot longer.

My work: [link]

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.