Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: gtgauvin's sketchbook

Thanks
    Your loose sketches are very nice !

The colored pics feel unfinished: everything is equally important in them. If you would put some parts in shadow (less details) and make other parts more detailed (not so fuzzy), I think that would help a great deal. Chow 63 and 78 look great, you must have worked hard on them ! But I think the coloring can still be pushed a little further. Sorry, I can't explain it better, it's not exactly my area of expertise.

Keep it up, you have a good thing going on !
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    gtgauvin is offline 3rd-level Artist with a +1 pencil and a Printer of Scanning
    Thanks
    Updated images of some of the characters I've got posted at the top of this thread. As for the text, well, my wife likes to write notes on my stuff when I'm not looking. Maybe I should start typing messages into her articles ( so long as someone catches them before they go to print).

gtgauvin's sketchbook
    gtgauvin's sketchbook
    "I always did want to be a hero...and a liar!"

My Sketch Thread

My Stupid Blog

Thanks
    Another update of a previous character. Drawing from photo references is definitely helping.

gtgauvin's sketchbook

My Sketch Thread

My Stupid Blog

Thanks
    Hello hello!
    May I be the first to welcome you to SSG 11

I'm liking this sketchbook so far.. You really have nice lines, and I'm loving your character sketches a lot!

I would like to give you some advice on your colouring though. It looks like right now you choose a colour for the different parts of a character (skin tone, pants, shoes, top, stuff like that) and you colour everything with that colour first and then you pick a lighter and a darker value within these colours and that is your light and dark for that particular part of the character.. Please correct me if I'm wrong with this, but that's the idea I get from your colourings in this sketchbook.
    Now using a few different base colours for different parts of a character is okay ofcourse. Bķt you should also pick one light source and a colour of that light which mixes with all the different base colours. Also a good thing to keep in mind is that light is never white and dark is never black. Try to use colour in your lights and darks so it doesn't become dull. Another good thing to keep in mind is that the warmth of light and dark is usually opposite. With that I mean that when you have cold light for example, the shadows will be warm(er) and vice versa.
    Don't be afraid to use some more saturation while colouring! The colours can become quite muddy when they're too grey, and on skintones this can give a rather zombie look. It can be really helpful to find some artworks in colour that have nice colours in your opinion and figure out which colour schemes they're using. This has helped me a lot in understanding colours better.
    Oh one other tip that just sprang into mind; when mixing two colours, don't pick the mixed tone and use that, but just saturate it a little more so the transition doesn't become dull (like this)
    this tutorial is really good at explaining stuff about colours.. It's rather long and a little complicated but really really useful.

So those were the tips on colour I've gathered in my time on CA. They're the ones I use almost all the time while colouring.
    One other tip (not on colour) is to vary the subject you're drawing. It's obvious that you really like character drawing and that's really good, but try to do some vehicles maybe or creatures (gah I suck at creatures need to do some ), or do some environments.. Just vary a bit

Well that was my long post
    Hope I helped you a bit.
    Looking forward to your new update,
    Love,
    Marleen
    Last edited by NoŽ; July 12th, 2007 at 06:36 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NoŽ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Welcome friend! Glad to have you in our little group.
    Marleen pretty much hit the critiques pretty well, I don't have anything to add, but I'm excited to see some more! I would personally love to see some environment work, as it seems like you have trouble putting together backgrounds for your characters (I have the same trouble). I think that doing some environments would help alot with that.
    Well, welcome again and I look forward to spending time looking through your sketchbook.

Chris

Thanks
    Hello there!

I love that Samurai on the last page, hope your going to color him.
    I agree with Chris in that I would love to see some more environment stuff. Awesome sketchbook so far though and can't wait to see some more updates.

Thanks
    Have to say that out of all the posted images, I like the pencil sketches the most. They have a natural feel and usually better 'flow' to the pieces than your digital stuff.

There is something about your digital colouring that feels flat and takes away alot of the 'life' that your initial sketches had. Sorry that I can't explain it, but thats how it feels.
    my sketches here... http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92997

www.sevans.co.nz , for more images and to kill time.

Thanks
    Thanks for the crits, everyone. This is the kind of interaction I need. Give me a little time and I'll get around to lending my 2 cents to everyone in kind. In the meantime, here's a few unfinished digital paintings done in a technique different from how I usually work.

gtgauvin's sketchbookgtgauvin's sketchbook

My Sketch Thread

My Stupid Blog

Thanks
    Hey Man! I really like alot of the stuff in here! Nice character drawings and i really like your persistence in the CHOW forums! Here is a crit : I think the images in your CHOW 78 are pretty nice, but then the background colors are like upstaging it, and annoying, so maybe like knock those back a little.

Its a shame that you lost your CHOW 79 files. Computers can be so infuriatin But it looks like your new CHOW is coming along nicely, cant wait to see it finished. Anyway nice study, and experimentation, I desperately need to learn to paint.. Keep it up, i wanna see more! What is an SSG? And how might i join one?

Thanks
    hey, really nice sketchbook man, that head in the first sketch in post #28 is insane. Seriously good stuff in here, great characters.

i think marleen got the colour right on, your colouring does seem flat in places. Prom's tute is definitley the way to go. Can't think of to much to crit myself, just keep up the awsome work (and try and vary your subject matter too).

cheers
    chris

(and i need to update my sig)
    Ninja code forbid me to use door

NEW SKETCHBOOK!!!

i can haz folio wip: WEBSITE

Thanks
    Noë: I'm partially colorblind, so for a long time I simply gave up on trying to get it right, and now I'm trying to catch up. For most of my digital stuff, I've been applying flat colors, then adding shadows and highlights on different layers, kind fo comic book-style. I'm now trying to get back to my painting background, so expect to see a lot more in the way of color studies. By the way, thanks for the link to Prom's page; he's quite a luminary, despite his preoccupation with white panties. I'll have a more complete look at his tutorial later.

Dose206: Point taken with the environments. It's another area I've always kind of neglected.

JWashke: Thanks. he's a favorite of mine, loosely based on the character Sanjuro from Yojimbo. I've had an idea floating in my mind for a while about a disparate group of warriors in Edo Japan fighting monsters and demons; probably not the most original idea, but I find it aesthetically compelling, so I expect to return to the concept regularly in the future.

SEVANS: Like I said before, I'll certainly be working on strengthening my colors in the future.

Sealegs: Thanks for that. High praise coming from you( don't mean to fawn, I just really like your stuff). I want to try and improve my environments, and try to get them to interact with my characters better. And an SSG is a sketch support group; it's a small group of people who regularly lurk at each other's sketch thread and offer critiques and suggestions on each other's work. You can check this link to try and join up, or maybe gather a group of unaffiliated artists and start your own.

Nizza_Waarg: Thanks, and get to work on that signature! I need the cross-traffic.

My Sketch Thread

My Stupid Blog

Thanks
    Update: a study of a photograph I've had on my computer for a while...

gtgauvin's sketchbook

...and a render of a 3D model head I just found while playing with Silo.

gtgauvin's sketchbook

My Sketch Thread

My Stupid Blog

Thanks
    hey! some great studies and some great 3d modelling! Shows you have quite the grasp on anatomical features of th face.

Btw, here are some rules of art you might want to use while you're learning:

Big picture -> Small picture
    Big details -> small details
    Fast rendering strokes -> slow rendering strokes

That way, you work will have a more consistent flavour =)

From your color studies (which are quite good btw, esp. if you'r color blind!) I can see you're trying to go in and detail too much too soon. Give the approximate colors and shadowing, block it in quickly, then refine from there, no point getting into details too quick, if the shadows are in the wrong place it means lots of extra work or scrapping the work altogether =)

Have fun, m.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast