College's Expectations?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

College's Expectations?

I am well aware that college expectations can vary widely, but i would like a general reply or one related to the expectations of DCAD (Delaware College of Art and Design) if anyone knows those.

I don't have a very strong background in art as of now since most of my time was devoted to writing during high school, despite taking art classes and doing well in them. While i have the potential i am really just picking it up in full and in the learning process.

What i would like to know is what Art Colleges tend to expect you to know. My main hesitations pertain to figure drawing and understanding of color. Would the initial drawing and painting classes expect me to be good at either/or and to know the skeletal structure as well as the muscular structure of figures or would they be likely to teach that at first prior to moving onto the nude figure drawing classes in the third and fourth semester (I would specifically be studying fine arts, btw).

I honestly have no idea how much i should try to cram into the next year of refining my art in order to be prepared.
    Any advice would help.

Thank you all ahead of time.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's a certain point when I'm not sure if "cramming" will help or not when it comes to being prepared. There's not a true right or wrong methodology when it comes to art; everyone's approach is different so don't sweat it if you don't know it all. No one knows it all in art. It's a constant learning process to which we're all still taking in, students and professional artists alike.

As far as DCAD goes, I can't speak about what their expectations are or even to a specific instructor's expectations are (you might get one that's lax or a taskmaster!), but just keep an open mind to what they have to say and what they expect. While it's ideal that you know anatomy and such, I'm almost more positive they'd want you to know how to draw from observation- whether it's a nude figure or a bowl of fruit from across the room. Bluntly, can you look at an object from across the room, put it down on paper and make it look believable? That being said, your understanding of light, shadow, form and perspective come into play. You'll pretty much be expected to have some basic understanding of those concepts.

Beyond that, that's why you're there. You're there to learn as much as you can. If you happen to be a superstar, then great but if not- they're all things to be learned. Everyone's going into that program with varying degrees of expertise- try not to worry too much and cram for it. As long as you're constantly striving to learn more, soaking up as much knowledge, and drawing constantly... you'll be doing it. Refining and re-defining your artwork is a lifelong process.

Have patience, passion and you'll do fine.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Art Center College of Design is a 'cramming' college. 8 Semesters in 2 1/2 years...then a Degree.

Here's what you gotta put up with.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOCs4BeXBX0

There was another video where he pulls down his pants and moons his students because they suck, but that was taken down.

Personally, I think 'cramming' colleges makes you neurotic.

Just work at your own pace. You'll know when you're ready....and when you meet megalomaniacs, beat them senseless.

Last edited by NoSeRider; February 26th, 2007 at 10:23 AM.
    My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSeRider
    Personally, I think 'cramming' colleges makes you neurotic.

Just work at your own pace. You'll know when you're ready....and when you meet megalomaniacs, beat them senseless.
    I agree. Does cramming really even work? I mean if you retain the information you retain it right? It's not like trying to squeeze information into a short span of studying makes you any more intelligent... as least I don't think so.

You also have to remember that every person studies and learns at their own pace- and especially with art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I can't tell you about Art Colleges specifically. However, for some general college advice...

You're expected to give your full effort. Do that, and you will succeed. It's that simple.

Do not, however, confuse simple with easy!

Quote Originally Posted by Storyboard Dave
    Does cramming really even work?
    Well, when I was in high school I went part time to a technical school and took a one year course on Cisco network training. I got my CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Administrator) certificate at the end of the year (when I think the norm was two years) after barely passing the test, but then couldn't get a job with it because I promptly forgot everything!

So... yeah. To your question, I'd say no.

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Anid Maro
    So... yeah. To your question, I'd say no.
    It never worked for me either but I wasn't sure if I was the only freak of nature in here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thankyou. Very helpful replies so far.
    I'm just paranoid about what they would expect me to know already and what they would expect me to not know. I do have a year to learn what i can about an array of things so that is a relief. I was in an art class for the majority of high school but it was never really hands on learning. The majority of it was a free-for-all with not tons of structure or time devoted to learning. Not to say it wasnt nice and understood how difficult it is in a high school environment, but still- Everyone was just kind of left to their own devices.

Hmm.. and would you all consider a year of learning about colors, bodily structures, and a more in depth look at painting (im not versed in it really) to be cramming? The idea feels like cramming to me, but im not quite sure if it is. I think i am just a bit stressed out and not realizing that i can learn what i need to learn and then devote the time to developing it from there.

I'm also severely happy i joined up on here. If im struggling then there is a definite place to end up for help and thats great. Oh im such a dork about neat places following a guideline.. it makes me all mushy for whatever reason.

-What is so captivating about how elusive we all are inside and in so many ways? Is it just that in itself? It is quite possibly the rush of figuring another's fickle mind and body out.. but do we not base our attraction on what we know?-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSociety
    Hmm.. and would you all consider a year of learning about colors, bodily structures, and a more in depth look at painting (im not versed in it really) to be cramming? The idea feels like cramming to me, but im not quite sure if it is. I think i am just a bit stressed out and not realizing that i can learn what i need to learn and then devote the time to developing it from there.
    As far as I'm concerned, cramming is when you try to learn something faster and in larger quantities than you are comfortable with. Everybody's got their own pace (at least, so I think), and if they try to go beyond it then it doesn't quite all stick.

Mind you, this doesn't mean not to push yourself, it just means that you shouldn't tax yourself to the point where it's unproductive.

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's "cramming" and there's being prepared. First of all, have you spoken with a rep at DCAD? I would get in touch with the school, tell them your situation and ask them what sort of work they expect in applicant portfolios.

For the year of prep, are you planning to take classes or work on your own?

Generally drawing from observation and an understanding of light, shadow, form, and perspective are most important, as Storyboard Dave mentioned. I doubt you need to worry about skeletal/muscular structure just now, since some high schools don't even offer exposure to nude models. That's not to say you can't work on that if you want, but I'd be more concerned with drawing from life. Get comfortable with pencil and charcoal.

Color, I don't think, is as important... but don't quote me on that, heh. If you have the time an introduction to painting couldn't hurt, but only if you have the time! Don't try to focus on too many areas at once.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.