Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Sork's New SB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Nice progress! Your figures are getting better, your studies too!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Good work on the Medusa, Sorky! I agree with Slash! You're getting a lot better now! Keep pushin'!!!!!

d-C

Thanks
    very cool man practice is making your art better... my fav is your medusa and environments... keep it up brother

CHECK ME OUT
    & ILL RETURN THE FAVOR

www.myspace.com/acroart
    ^^MYSPACE^^
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102221
    ^^SKETCHBOOK^^

AIM/AOL SCREENAME: ACRO IS ILL

Thanks
    Big congrats on making it to the finals for the "Queen Medusa" and thank you bunches for your input. Much love!

Thanks
    Good work! Keep working on your anatomy, and I'd like to see you push the values in your drawings more, to get more separation between light and shadow. Your dedication to the fine detail rendering is impressive, but it's the big overall forms that give your drawings mass. Keep it up!
    ketchook!

SSG #44
    "The Fightin' 44th"
    - _andreas_ - brunopicinini - funfetus - Suarezart -

7. The Following User Says Thank You to funfetus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    nice SB - the sewn up geisha head is crazy lookin I'd love to see it fully ornamented out but I know how it is with those pieces- never finished.. I liked your take on the medusa chow as well the border and staff were nice additions and she has a very natural pose. see ya

Thanks
    Slash Thanks

dcepT Thanks again

ACRO And a third thanks

Lege1 Thanks for your input as well

funfetus Thanks, helpful advice there. I'll try

DECYPL One of my favourites too. I might finish one day in the future

Haven't done much worthwhile lately, but here's a random dress thingy and my god of leaves for the art crusade so far. And as I worked a lil bit on the pic earlier, I'm putting the updated not so photoref here as well. Also, I just randomly put in the dragon I never finished for my COW. No, it's not a spewm dwagon, I was gonna change that into mud.

Sorry for not putting in the architectural stuff I've been blabbering about, nor the kids books illustrations. To be honest, I'm too bloody embarrased to do so. I'll post when I get close to something that can be called worthwhile.

I know I promised to scan some of the life drawings siince I was pretty proud of them.... but scanner so far just prints, and doesn't scan. Working on it. POst as soon as I get it working
    Last edited by Sorknes; January 28th, 2008 at 08:54 PM.
    "The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

Thanks
    sork sork sork sork sork sork sork sork sork weeee

something I'm noticing is a tendancy to go into details before you banging out large forms. and there are all these large forms that are noodled in with a very small brush. Something that would be good for you to try is blocking out the large forms of whatever you are drawing, before you go into details. use a BIG brush and block out BIG shapes, then slowly get smaller *when you need it*
    Something that helped me was to not go smaller than a certain size, and use overlapping brushstrokes to accomplish what I needed. You can do a surprising amount even with a large brush. also just blocking out your forms with hard edged everything. and then blending in your edges where they should be soft. You seem to have a tendancy to make everythig soft and noodly

also, get away from those browns brown character in a brown environment = brooooowwwwnnnn

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texahol For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sorknes,

I definitely agree with you and have been working hard on the necessary adjustments. It’s nevere easy to tear yourself completely apart and then rebuild, but that is exactly what I had to do. I suffered a medium range depression because of it all and am glad I put myelf through what I did and followed through with my rebuild as an artist. I feel that things I do from here on out are really going to reflect in a much stronger way.
    The idea of using the soft brushes was definitely hurting me. I found out that the reason I was so drawn to the soft brushes was more or less because of my traditional back round of atomized paint forms but also because when I first started working digitally on the computer that I picked up on using the soft brushes and kind of just stuck with it. I realize the absolute value and importance of using the hard brushes now for line and form relationship in ones piece.
    I really appreciate your compliments on my can work. Working from the can in traditional spray paint medium is never an easy task. I have been almost forced to make it happen with the way that I was brought up in the art game. I did the best I could with what and who I had to do with. The guys in the street a very secretive about techniques of spray paint and how the construction of things go. Basically in short, the graffiti world is very competitive and realize does not contain people that want to help you get better unless of course it’s home crew. This is of course bad because you are only getting critiques and knowledge from a select few. I am just glad you can see some goodness in it.
    I definitely have had a huge problem with the coloring of things especially in the digital world. I have come to realize that I lacked something huge as an artist and I sometimes don’t know how I’ve done as much and gotten as far as I did in my field of work. That lacking of something was “Color Theory” and a few minor fundamentals, like using the hard brushes in the programs. I actually picked up a great book on color theory and it I felt it really translated on a scale of things that I could understand being so primitive in my ways. That book just you know is called “Mastering Color” by Vicki Mcmurray. What an awesome book and I can’t tell you how much I’ve learned. It should absolutely show in my new illustrations here.
    Your color tip on keeping a limited palette and resorting to a “Corner Color Check Method” really helped me a lot. I am using that now and feel it works great! Thank you so much. I also got what Mike Jaecks was telling me about the shadows and how a warm light source will make for a cool shadow and so forth….Priceless advice indeed and I am very grateful that he was willing to share that. I fully understand his ideas towards things now after reading that book on color theory and studying every page to all the little details and ideas of things.
    I am definitely with you on the incorporating color from the back round in to the foreground. That really makes all the difference in the world. Ok so I wrote you a story here and that’s more or less to verify that I am really feeling where you are coming from and that I agree with what you are talking about. I guess I could of said that from the get go right,lol. Oh well, much love always and keep doing your thing. I’ll be making my way back to the forums shortly here. I am battling algebra monsters. =/
    -=Lege

Thanks
    heyo i really like your use of pencil forreal.... ... the environments are pretty cool 2 yo ... i know what you mean with shadows n stuff ... it does create depth in still images... keep up the good work...

CHECK ME OUT
    & ILL RETURN THE FAVOR

www.myspace.com/acroart
    ^^MYSPACE^^
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102221
    ^^SKETCHBOOK^^

AIM/AOL SCREENAME: ACRO IS ILL

Thanks
    Niced nice nice )

Thanx for the talk lat night,

Ta-ta!

Writero

Thanks
    texahol: tex tex tex tex tex wee!!!!!!!! *lol* As normally you're right about everything. Damn you. I'm trying to keep away from browns now... as you can see from my crusade pic it's not really that succesful....>.< And I've been practising blocking even larger areas and values before starting with my very anoying noodling habit...

Lege1: Good. I'll try to keep an eye on your SB further on as well. And colours is one of my big problems as well. *lol*

ACRO: Thanks

Writerof: Yeah, was fun

Ok, silly things. My art crusade thingy which I thought was due this Sunday and not next, for some reason. That means I can try to fix it. Tried to keep away from my browns, but tried so hard I'm starting to disklike the picture in itself.... And also, another which I was just having fun with tonight, after reading how bluefooted did it as well as trying to concentrate on forms and not so darn many colours... Just needed to do something just for fun.
    "The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

Thanks
    Hey Sork! Glad to see ya drop by my SB as always!

Nice stuff lately!
    Good to read that you're thinking about your colorschemes! If you find it hard to stay away from muddy browns, try to lay out some colorswatches and colorpick from them... that way you'll be forced to use the colors you set out to use in the beginning.

Oh... and the dragon... try dumping some shade under the wing and behind its head to make that head pop a bit more... right now it's almost reading as part of the bulk of the body..

The Lord of the Leaves for the Art Crusade is nice! Cool to see you use that turqoise/green for light!

Keep 'em comin'!

d

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dCepT For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.