Sketchbook: Sork's New SB - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Sork's New SB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    eskanto: Thanks Yeah, I'm still struggling with shape and form as well as light. I've started to kinda break it down now, so that even if I do it all in every picture, I concentrate more on shape and form in one, light in another and colour in a third, etc. I love my masks, glad they look better than the rest *lol*

dCepT: Yeah, it is, as mentioned a couple of times *lol* Yeah, I should've flipped and also made the forms better before rendering (like eskanto said), but I got kinda slack after eight hours of different studies... (bad me)

Lege1: Adapting to digital has been really hard for me as well, and I'm still struggling *lol* You're way faster with that than I've ever been, hehe.

Well, been messing around today. I decided to let studies be studies and just have fun. So I've made a lot of weird shit today, but I'll upload three. The first two were just relaxing stuff. The last one I just started with for fun, and whaddya know, I think it came out better than most of my studies lately... Duh. I'm gonna try to finish that one, I like the feel of it.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    "The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    indeed the goaty thing has great potentioal
    it seems less laboured than other things of yours I ve seen lately. I t is falling of the page a bit .you might want to flip it and check composition

good work

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

3. The Following User Says Thank You to chaosrocks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah that goat piece turned out really well, looks loose yet with good values and detail. maybe more canvas space above or at the bottom of the image might help the composition not look a tad sqooshed, keep up the good work, love those red designs too

5. The Following User Says Thank You to deadred For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yup! Goat is definately a step up! Seems you're using harder brushes? The rendering looks a lot sharper than some of your earlier stuff! Great to see you progressing, Sorky!!

I'm with ya on finishing that one up!

Looking forward to updates

dC

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dCepT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The last image with the goat have some potential Sork You should check out some references and bring it to a finished state.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys, I'll just put you together in one group... I've been trying to fix some of the goat, and I'm glad you like it. I haven't gotten around to fix the canvas size and the focus point is still not good enough. And I need to think properly about the values. Gotten loads of good stuff from you guys, and IRC.

Alright, I'm gonna show that I've really learned something from my lifedrawing. I started attending kroki drawing, which is fast paced drawing, where we start with 1 min poses, then go up to 2 min, then 3 min, and at the end of the session we'll have four or five 5 min poses. We go on for three hours, but with breaks, and there is no teacher or anything, we have models, and we're a bunch of people just coming there to draw, without getting any tutoring whatsoever, once a week. Some of the models comes several times, as you might be able to see. I've been somewhat unlucky with the males being there when I can't attend.

The first one is from late January, the last ones are from last week. There's several weeks I haven't been able to attend because of my so called "day job", but I think I can say that I've progressed anyway. I've put the amount of minutes on the pages. I had to autocontrast the last ones, as they were different paper and pencil, and they didn't come out too readable when scanning them.

The very last picture is an update of the goat, I haven't worked too much on it, I should get back to that one Some of you have already seen this on IRC, I guess.

Hope you enjoy

C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Sorkeh, thanks for the feedback in my thread.

You've got some nice as hell figures going on here, I'd like to see a few more with more time spent on them.

And that goat thing is looking badass.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Sork, many thanks for visiting and for the crit

Your figure drawings have so much potential, and you seem to have a good eye for their form, but you need bolder and more confident strokes. Something I'm working on myself, but I'm sure you make little progress daily if you do these each day, at least I feel that's doing me good!

I really dig that huge goat Very atmospheric, it actually feels kinda cold. A little contrast might help it, especially the bg, but maybe that's not the look you're going for. Sweet work, all in all

sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AsaB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Sorknes,

Thanks for swinging by my sb. I think you do got alot of cool things happening here. Good job mostly on those anatomy studies. At first the lines were pretty scribbly but your lines look more confidant in the studies
    below them. Like that goat man! I think the bg needs some loving though.

Keep at it man and keep posting

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Trashy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Smoke: Thanks a lot. I don't have any kind of life drawing where I can spend more time on the subject though. The longest poses in the kroki is 5 mins... Maybe I can talk my hubby into it *lol*

AsaB: Yeah, working on the lines, I think I can say I at least progressed from the first ones there from Jan to the last ones done in May. During the autumn I hope to get them even more confident.

Trashy: Thanks Yeah, the bg needs some loving. Haven't done anything with it since I posted. That irks me a bit since I'd really like to finish that one...

Ok, time to update, I guess. I've been working on the DEEP thing, but mostly it's so unfinished I don't want anyone near it, or I've been rethinking my ideas so they're all a mess. I have some of the persons for my persongallery at the human scientist part of DEEP though. So that's the first one. The second is a really fast enviro thing I did while looking a at a photo, trying to do something that wasn't just straight up when it came to lines. Was really fast though. I'll do more of those I think. The last is an angel thing I did last night, no idea where I'm going with it or if I'll finish it....

C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    very impressive quick sketch -- I envy a good sketch from life... also the huge goat is looking great and your crazy tunnel perspective is way cool...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Kelly

Alright... long time since an update. I *have* been drawing every now and then even if I'm preggzors and am now confined to the sofa/bed....

I'm adding some from the time I haven't updated, a good mishmash from both good and bad, I hope. None of them are done... this is a sketchbook after all, hehe. There's a Courtney Love ref there, the one in the big red dress. There was a photo ref for the bridge thingy too, but darn if I can find it again, no idea where I got it from. Used myself for the tongue thing, even though I look butch as hell there.

I'll see if I can get around to post some of my new speeddrawings from the lifesessions as well later. Maybe I can find some more from the time up to now.

C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Sorky

Sorry to hear about your couch-situation, but i'm sure if you take it easy, everything will be ok.

Regarding your paintings: Use more saturated colors. It's like you're stuck in Brownville, all your paintings have that same brownish grouchy look. Are you afraid of colors? Are desatured greyish browns your favourite colors?

Don't be afraid of some bright tones, they can warm up things oh so nicely in a painting. Variating in the saturation of different colors will also make your paintings look less muddy.

Now, since you're still stuck in that sofa: moar paints!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Cookiedough For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,374 Times in 3,595 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I actually think brown is good to use as an alternate to black and white because you don’t have that ultimate dark that never existed in the first place. I like the way you’re doing the horror genre.

Make the most of the time while you’re pregnant because there won’t be much time afterwards.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 745 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there!
    I like your drawings and the creepy subjects!
    Also I wish you the best for your mummy work

Sketchbook :: Blog :: Gorilla Artfare :: Prints :: my Etsy
    koppa says:
    i could kick an eggs ass if i wanted to

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Clochette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    so creepy is right I love these new one's thanks for coming over to my book too!! Breath and relax, one two three breath, three two one ... breath. whew all of this heavy breathing is making me tired!! So cool you are and oh yeah, breath. Kelly

27. The Following User Says Thank You to kelly x For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cookie: Thanks, and I know. *lol* Brown is as brown is. I've tried to do some more colour stuff, but the days has been busy up to now... I'll try to get back to mastering it again.

Black Spot: I know there won't be much time later, so I'm trying to And I guess that's why I stay with brown and not grey, as it's a little more warm, and not those total black parts.

Clochette: Thanks I think mummy work will be harder than this. *lol*

Kelly X: I'm breathing, I'm breathing!

I did the ChoW this round, and this is what I submitted. I tried doing it in different versions, and clothe it so it was less "Jetsons" but those mostly sucked. So I ended up going with my original thing.... Didn't have time to colour it either, so sepia-ish it stayed.

C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lifedrawings Mmmmm.... definate favourite of that bunch; the 3minute one where the model has extended her leg! I like the lines, and the pose!

I'm with people on the brown/muddy thing... have you tried like doing pallette studies? Just to change it up Not color picking of course, but looking at a photo, or a painting or whatever where you like the colors, and try to bring them into your own work?

Thanks for stopping by, btw

dC

30. The Following User Says Thank You to dCepT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya dCepT Yeah, I did before I didn't do too much drawing for a while, heh. I'm trying to get back to it now, colours and me really doesn't go well together, I'm clearly lacking some kind of understanding and can't see it right *lol*

Here's a couple more. The first I started doing as my own thing, didn't get any further when getting too hung up in this weeks ChoW. The goblin ortho thing was as far as I got on an earlier ChoW, just couldn't dress it properly. And the last stuff is this weeks ChoW, where I finally managed to put it some colours, with good help from RobertB, Kenjitsu and Texahol on IRC I stopped working on it when I realised whatever I tried to fix I made worse. *lol*

C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doodled.

C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,374 Times in 3,595 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good update. That doodle is spooky and rather nice; the frame is a wonderful distraction so the face isn't noticed straight away.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, didn't think much about that, just doodled. ^^

Here's another doodle for today... No idea, don't even ask.

C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff, Sorky. You have color! Nice improvements. Imo, you're still loving the browns too much, but at least you're warming up now to the rest of the spectrum. Keep it up!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Cookiedough For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 745 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It starts good! The design of her hat is nice! Keep it up!

Sketchbook :: Blog :: Gorilla Artfare :: Prints :: my Etsy
    koppa says:
    i could kick an eggs ass if i wanted to

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Clochette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great work sork, i especially like your progress shots on the agatha CHOW, shd rly get bk into those as well... on your last effort id say check the connection between nose/upper lip, someting seems to be going astray there...

thx for the visit and i hope all is going well with you!

41. The Following User Says Thank You to petitemistress For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The CHoW is looking way better in the color department! Good work! You could try to throw a color layer on a b/w piece and just throw colors you wouldn't normally use on there to see how they work... push yourself out of your comfort zones Like... make a piece that is predominantly a bold blue with pink as a kicker

dC

43. The Following User Says Thank You to dCepT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cookie: Yeah, still love my browns, but I got a lot of good help on that one. *lol*

Clochette: Thanks! We'll see if she ever ends up getting done, heh.

Petite: Yeah, I think it's the usual nose/mouth thing I have going on that goes off there.... I was thinking about doing something else with that Agetha Chow, but I don't know if I'll have time! And all is good!

dCepT: Yeah, keeping my colours of different layers so I don't fuck up too much, hehe! Got tons of help on that one though. I'll try to go more wild on something in the near future.

I'm doing the Bettie Page tribute thingy... I'm leaning heavily on photos on this one to get a likeness, two a lot, two others as supplement. So here's the WIP so far, gonna try to colour it as soon as I'm done in BW. Hopefully I'll manage to get it done between family and pregnancy stuff. *lol*

C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A lil update....... Hopefully I'll manage to finish before the family comes...

Edit: Another update...Really running out of time, trying to get the colours right... Hopefully I'll manage to do more colours and fleshing out the rest of the details this evening or in silent spells during the weekend (if there'll be any )

Last edited by Sorknes; December 18th, 2008 at 08:43 AM.

C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3