Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping

Thanks

Sleeping

I'm sure there's been million of threads like this, but oh well, a fresh one.

How do you guys get to sleep? I have trouble getting to sleep often, and when I do get to sleep I either wake up a few times, or usually just role about a hell of a lot and often end up with a numb arm from sleeping with it underneath me or something, I've also woken up on the floor once or twice... but all that's beside the point, back to

How do you get to sleep? Any tricks, any anecdotes about not sleeping... anything?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    For me the main problem is getting my mind off random thoughts that accumulate during the day and overwhelm me when I'm trying to sleep so I listen to very complex music, usually technical metal, but it can be music that you're very interested in listening to (as in paying attention to every note). Of course it helps to have in-ear headphones

On a psychological level, get yourself very excited to accomplish something the next day (like a 2-3 hour drawing/painting session) and tell yourself that you need lots of sleep to prepare for it.

Thanks
    Typically I just try not to think of anything that's been stressing me. If you go to bed stressed and worried, well, you're not going to sleep very well.

Maybe put on a movie, or some music or something. Use some sense too, trying to sleep to speed metal probably won't work.

If all else fails, a few shots of whiskey should do the trick!

I'm joking about the whiskey.

Well, not really, it does work... but it just isn't very healthy.

=
    -My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    actually,when i'm full on drunk i don't sleep very well.
    but i guess that's more than a few shots of whiskey.

i usually go to bed around 3 am because i've come into the (bad) rythm...which i should probably change. i think far too much for the most part when i go to sleep so it takes me around 1 hour most of the time.
    no real tips here,sorry.
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Bah, you're all worthless!

But at least it's nice to know that just about everyone else can never sleep too...

I suppose worrying about not being able to sleep doesn't help very much either.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Sleeping with headphones can lead to hearing loss, and sleeping with a movie or other background noise doesnt allow you to slip into REM sleep. I dont think sleeping pills are good medicine either. I do a few things. Sometimes I just appreciate how good it feels to lay down. I focus on that and off I go to dreamland. Another method is to think about projects I'm working on or am about to work on. Sometimes that time is the only true peace and quiet in my day. Lastly, sometimes I approach it as a meditation like moment. Consciously focus on thinking about nothing. That one is a little tougher, but effective.

Thanks
    Actually, I just kind of write mental storylines and play them out as if I was dreaming. Eventually reality starts to slip (sometimes I can tell when this happens, but it all comes back if you move at all). But eventually, it will just carry you off. I use to just lie there waiting for sleep to carry me, but one has to be a bit more proactive I guess.

Good luck! I experience the same problems

Thanks
    I usually try to focus on doing something, being somewhere, or talking to someone thats completely different from where I am, lying in bed, trying to get comfortable. The more I can focus on whats happening the in the mental world the faster I drift away from the physical. Its like meditating, except you acutally let yourself fall sleep.
    Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Oaksford
    Actually, I just kind of write mental storylines and play them out as if I was dreaming. Eventually reality starts to slip (sometimes I can tell when this happens, but it all comes back if you move at all). But eventually, it will just carry you off. I use to just lie there waiting for sleep to carry me, but one has to be a bit more proactive I guess.

Haha, I do that sometimes, though there are some problems attached:
    Sometimes the thing that slips into my head is just hilarious and then I burst out laughing and have to start all over again.
    or
    Sometimes it's pretty confusing/scary, like the time I was bloody convinced that there was a guy about to stab me, standing next to my bed... I think I was awake at the time, and I could see him and not the stuff behind him. The reason I think I was awake was because I turned the radio off afterwards and I couldn't have dreamt of doing that 'cos the radio wasn't on when I woke up.

If ever you have to sleep at a friend's house or with someone else, etc. eventually you come across some quite weird characters. I for one sort of 'shadow box' in my sleep, move my arms, and I mouth words - I'll also do things in a half awake, well, 1/8 awake state. Like I'll wonder as me - awake - what the time is, so in my dream I'll sit up to check the time, everything around me looking all so real, and these ones confuse me because I'm still not sure if I'm dreaming or just reaaaaally tired, but doing it consciously. Though apparently I do sit up, and this has been noted by more than one person on more than one occassion.*

I know someone who woke up one night, shouted off a string of swear-words, then went back to sleep... maybe he was in that half alive 'time checking' state that I think I was.

Anyone else do stuff like that?

*Sometimes I'll wake up at about 3 in the morning after having the thought, 'Hang on, this is just too damn silly... it's got to be a dream... oh, it is a dream-'. This is all quite rare, but you do remember when stuff like this happens, 'cos it's just so out of the ordinary.

Thanks
    I typically try to meditate while lying down, and I don't try to stay awake, nor do I force myself to go to sleep. I don't bother with any of the meditation positions because they're intended to keep you awake. But the act of meditating in itself actually makes me really drowsy. Eventually, I'll go to sleep on my own, but I go a lot faster if I take out all of the background noise, turn off the lights and what not.

Thanks
    Being tired helps. I find if I've not been very active, I'm less tired/ don't get to sleep so much.
    What helps a lot when I'm trying to sleep is thinking about sleep/sleeping. I don't mean worrying about falling asleep or whether I'm going to. I mean thinking about sleep so that you stop focusing on other things. Like visualize the word sleep in your mind, think about people falling asleep or being asleep, think about feeling light, relax your body. Don't think about other things! When you do, just go back to thinking about sleep. It hard to do this with out mind wandering - but I think it definitely works for me. I guess it's a bit like meditating, cause you are focusing on one thing.
    I've heard warm milk helps.
    Having a pre-sleep time routine helps tell your head/body that it's time to sleep. [Least I think it does]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Oaksford

Heh, I used to do that too when I was a kid. Every night I would mentally project myself into a different story from a book or film. Some nights I'd be climbing trees with Tarzan and other nights I'd be braving the fridgid cold of Hoth (I'm such a dork T_T) or living on an island like Crusoe.

I don't do the storyline thing anymore, but I do read very boring books. They're wonderful, they put me right to sleep and I learn a lot while drifting off. Some mind-numbingly boring ones I can recommend are 'Team of Rivals' by Doris Kearns Goodwin (a Lincoln biography), 'Guns Germs and Steel' by Jared Diamond (not actually boring but the lengthy reasoning behind the theorys has a sort of lulluby effect), and the Bible. Whatever you do, don't try to read an exciting book before you go to bed! The other week I accidently picked up "the Kite Runner" and I didn't sleep for two nights.

-----------------------------------------------------
    portfolio=ORANGEMANTIS.COM
    Blog
    SKETCHBOOK
    -----------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Nyquil.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast