Sleeping

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping

Thanks

Sleeping

I'm sure there's been million of threads like this, but oh well, a fresh one.

How do you guys get to sleep? I have trouble getting to sleep often, and when I do get to sleep I either wake up a few times, or usually just role about a hell of a lot and often end up with a numb arm from sleeping with it underneath me or something, I've also woken up on the floor once or twice... but all that's beside the point, back to

How do you get to sleep? Any tricks, any anecdotes about not sleeping... anything?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    For me the main problem is getting my mind off random thoughts that accumulate during the day and overwhelm me when I'm trying to sleep so I listen to very complex music, usually technical metal, but it can be music that you're very interested in listening to (as in paying attention to every note). Of course it helps to have in-ear headphones

On a psychological level, get yourself very excited to accomplish something the next day (like a 2-3 hour drawing/painting session) and tell yourself that you need lots of sleep to prepare for it.

Thanks
    Typically I just try not to think of anything that's been stressing me. If you go to bed stressed and worried, well, you're not going to sleep very well.

Maybe put on a movie, or some music or something. Use some sense too, trying to sleep to speed metal probably won't work.

If all else fails, a few shots of whiskey should do the trick!

I'm joking about the whiskey.

Well, not really, it does work... but it just isn't very healthy.

=

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    actually,when i'm full on drunk i don't sleep very well.
    but i guess that's more than a few shots of whiskey.

i usually go to bed around 3 am because i've come into the (bad) rythm...which i should probably change. i think far too much for the most part when i go to sleep so it takes me around 1 hour most of the time.
    no real tips here,sorry.

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Bah, you're all worthless!

But at least it's nice to know that just about everyone else can never sleep too...

I suppose worrying about not being able to sleep doesn't help very much either.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Sleeping with headphones can lead to hearing loss, and sleeping with a movie or other background noise doesnt allow you to slip into REM sleep. I dont think sleeping pills are good medicine either. I do a few things. Sometimes I just appreciate how good it feels to lay down. I focus on that and off I go to dreamland. Another method is to think about projects I'm working on or am about to work on. Sometimes that time is the only true peace and quiet in my day. Lastly, sometimes I approach it as a meditation like moment. Consciously focus on thinking about nothing. That one is a little tougher, but effective.

Thanks
    Actually, I just kind of write mental storylines and play them out as if I was dreaming. Eventually reality starts to slip (sometimes I can tell when this happens, but it all comes back if you move at all). But eventually, it will just carry you off. I use to just lie there waiting for sleep to carry me, but one has to be a bit more proactive I guess.

Good luck! I experience the same problems

Thanks
    I usually try to focus on doing something, being somewhere, or talking to someone thats completely different from where I am, lying in bed, trying to get comfortable. The more I can focus on whats happening the in the mental world the faster I drift away from the physical. Its like meditating, except you acutally let yourself fall sleep.

Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Oaksford
    Actually, I just kind of write mental storylines and play them out as if I was dreaming. Eventually reality starts to slip (sometimes I can tell when this happens, but it all comes back if you move at all). But eventually, it will just carry you off. I use to just lie there waiting for sleep to carry me, but one has to be a bit more proactive I guess.

Haha, I do that sometimes, though there are some problems attached:
    Sometimes the thing that slips into my head is just hilarious and then I burst out laughing and have to start all over again.
    or
    Sometimes it's pretty confusing/scary, like the time I was bloody convinced that there was a guy about to stab me, standing next to my bed... I think I was awake at the time, and I could see him and not the stuff behind him. The reason I think I was awake was because I turned the radio off afterwards and I couldn't have dreamt of doing that 'cos the radio wasn't on when I woke up.

If ever you have to sleep at a friend's house or with someone else, etc. eventually you come across some quite weird characters. I for one sort of 'shadow box' in my sleep, move my arms, and I mouth words - I'll also do things in a half awake, well, 1/8 awake state. Like I'll wonder as me - awake - what the time is, so in my dream I'll sit up to check the time, everything around me looking all so real, and these ones confuse me because I'm still not sure if I'm dreaming or just reaaaaally tired, but doing it consciously. Though apparently I do sit up, and this has been noted by more than one person on more than one occassion.*

I know someone who woke up one night, shouted off a string of swear-words, then went back to sleep... maybe he was in that half alive 'time checking' state that I think I was.

Anyone else do stuff like that?

*Sometimes I'll wake up at about 3 in the morning after having the thought, 'Hang on, this is just too damn silly... it's got to be a dream... oh, it is a dream-'. This is all quite rare, but you do remember when stuff like this happens, 'cos it's just so out of the ordinary.

Thanks
    I typically try to meditate while lying down, and I don't try to stay awake, nor do I force myself to go to sleep. I don't bother with any of the meditation positions because they're intended to keep you awake. But the act of meditating in itself actually makes me really drowsy. Eventually, I'll go to sleep on my own, but I go a lot faster if I take out all of the background noise, turn off the lights and what not.

Thanks
    Being tired helps. I find if I've not been very active, I'm less tired/ don't get to sleep so much.
    What helps a lot when I'm trying to sleep is thinking about sleep/sleeping. I don't mean worrying about falling asleep or whether I'm going to. I mean thinking about sleep so that you stop focusing on other things. Like visualize the word sleep in your mind, think about people falling asleep or being asleep, think about feeling light, relax your body. Don't think about other things! When you do, just go back to thinking about sleep. It hard to do this with out mind wandering - but I think it definitely works for me. I guess it's a bit like meditating, cause you are focusing on one thing.
    I've heard warm milk helps.
    Having a pre-sleep time routine helps tell your head/body that it's time to sleep. [Least I think it does]

Thanks

Heh, I used to do that too when I was a kid. Every night I would mentally project myself into a different story from a book or film. Some nights I'd be climbing trees with Tarzan and other nights I'd be braving the fridgid cold of Hoth (I'm such a dork T_T) or living on an island like Crusoe.

I don't do the storyline thing anymore, but I do read very boring books. They're wonderful, they put me right to sleep and I learn a lot while drifting off. Some mind-numbingly boring ones I can recommend are 'Team of Rivals' by Doris Kearns Goodwin (a Lincoln biography), 'Guns Germs and Steel' by Jared Diamond (not actually boring but the lengthy reasoning behind the theorys has a sort of lulluby effect), and the Bible. Whatever you do, don't try to read an exciting book before you go to bed! The other week I accidently picked up "the Kite Runner" and I didn't sleep for two nights.

-----------------------------------------------------
    portfolio=ORANGEMANTIS.COM
    Blog
    SKETCHBOOK
    -----------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Nyquil.

Thanks
    Sleeping is such a tricky thing for me. There'll be times when I'm all, "Yeah. This is a good time to go to sleep. I've got something to do tomorrow." Then when I go to lay down, I can't to sleep 'cause my mind's blabbing away. So I lay there for several hours until I finally pass out.

Plan B consists of me doing a lot of stuff that day, being tired, and managing to go to sleep fairly easily. This doesn't happen very often.

The last little pattern I have is by far the worst. It'll be around the time that I think that I really should get offline and get to bed, but then something just pops up /right/ as I'm about to go. It seems like anyone who wants to IM decides that they should do so right as I'm about to leave, because that's usually the only time I get people messaging me. So I'll stay up "for a little bit longer," and I really end up staying awake until 2 a.m.

Maybe I just need a ridiculously comfortable bed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnifex
    actually,when i'm full on drunk i don't sleep very well.
    but i guess that's more than a few shots of whiskey.

i usually go to bed around 3 am because i've come into the (bad) rythm...which i should probably change. i think far too much for the most part when i go to sleep so it takes me around 1 hour most of the time.
    no real tips here,sorry.
    Carni, you can sleep like no other! haha. A couple of times I thought you were dead.

Thanks
    haha!

I have to have the easiest time in the world sleeping. Usually get into bed at around midnight or one. Think most of the time I'm not awake for more than 10 min before I dose off, sleep right through (I only wake when there's something in my room) and stand up at 07:00 again. But honestly, sleep is a waste of time.

On whiskey - it does work, but so does running into the wall really fast, head first.

- d.

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Has anyone had this happen-

Where you go lay down. you put your head to the pillow, but you don't feel tired or anything- you feel normal. The SECOND your head hits the pillow, you blink. A normal, fraction of a second blink, and it's the next day. You feel EXACTLY like you did last night, fairly energized, same position, you have no trouble getting up as if you had just laid down. That has happened rarely in my life, but I remember most every time it has happened. I just remember once watching my mom go down the hallway (With the light on), and when I blinked she was walking right back to me. I asked "Did you forget something?" And she gave me a weird look and said "No..."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 594 Posts
    Has anyone had this happen-

Where you go lay down. you put your head to the pillow, but you don't feel tired or anything- you feel normal. The SECOND your head hits the pillow, you blink. A normal, fraction of a second blink, and it's the next day. You feel EXACTLY like you did last night, fairly energized, same position, you have no trouble getting up as if you had just laid down. That has happened rarely in my life, but I remember most every time it has happened. I just remember once watching my mom go down the hallway (With the light on), and when I blinked she was walking right back to me. I asked "Did you forget something?" And she gave me a weird look and said "No..."
    Lol, actually that happens to me most of the time. I hardly ever have any dreams or nightmares, i just get this black void...and that's getting me a bit anxious...

As for some tips... whenever i have difficulties to sleep, i listen to an ambient internet radio (soma fm's drone zone, jazz, classical, etc) and just think about images or things that aren't very important.

Thanks
    Thinking about future art and projects usually either makes me anxious or I have very strange dreams, so I don't really advise it.

Best thing for me is meditation, mostly the calming breathing, forgetting your worries from the day and drifting off to sleep.

Thanks
    Worst thing I can do is going over the day or things that worries me. I shut off brain.

And if I haven't managed to sleep within half an hour, I get up, do something else for like five or ten minutes to change state of mind, and then go to bed again. Had trouble falling asleep for the longest time, after learning that trick, I've pretty much lost my insomnia. If you go to bed, and another half and hour goes past, up again for five or ten minutes. Just don't drink anything like soda or take a smoke or anything that adds things into your system that might ruin the falling asleep. Water is good, etc. Keep away from sugar right before bed, heh. I usually sit in a chair for a minute or do an easy Sudoku piece or take my laundry to the washroom bin or something like that now. Just to get out of bed and down into it again when it happens to me now. I also do that if I get into that half asleep state where you're vaguely conscious about the fact that you're not really sleeping and not really awake. Earlier I could be in that state forever, now I do an effort to get out of it, just get on my feet, open my eyes and get down again. Does the trick every time now with the practice.

Just don't keep glancing at the clock to see when half an hour has gone. I did that in the beginning........

"The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

Thanks
    My biggest problem is getting myself to the actual bed, I get distracted so easily and can stay up for hours if I havent got my eye on the time.
    But usually I can sleep pretty well.

Ever get it when your in bed, your eyes are closed but your eyelids begin to slowly open. You shut them again and they still keep opening. Really gets on my nerves.

Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeiff
    Carni, you can sleep like no other! haha. A couple of times I thought you were dead.
    haha,well,when i sleep,i sleep.

worst thing i know is lying in bed and rolling around so much that you think you've got no sleep at all,because you constantly wake up inbetween and feel like justin described. i hate when that happens,my mind somehow just can't rest then.

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    best thing i find is to completely exhaust yourself if you cant shut off your mind. happens to me too. so if its bed time and im still wide awake.. ill run around my neighborhood a few times. that wears me down quickly. a quick shower and straight into bed. by then my body is begging for rest and my mind soon follows. - JAG

it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

Thanks
    I am typically a night owl and will spend my nights up until the clock either strikes midnight or I just can't keep my eyelids open. I would stay up for a lot longer but since I have to get up at 6:00am during weekdays, that pretty much limits my ability to stay awake longer. But by the time I do go to sleep, I know that my brain can't handle any thing else and I'm to the point of literally passing out from exhaustion.

If you want to use sleep aids, valerian root helped me during a period where I wasn't getting a whole lot of sleep. Normally I am a deep sleeper, but for some reason there was a stretch of a few weeks where I kept waking up constantly for no reason. A coworker of mine suggested taking valerian root rather than the Nyquil that I was taking at the time. Nyquil just left me feeling groggy after I woke up and sluggish through the day, like it was still lingering in my system. I took just one tablet of the root, and when I woke up the next morning, I felt great. My sleep was deeper like it should have been and I didn't feel 'drugged' the whole day either.

Sleep and coffee threads... I need more of the former so I can drink less of the later. I hate mornings.

//shuffles off to the break room to get her brains...err coffee

Thanks
    i have similar problems. only thing that ever worked for me is getting into a regular schedule. same time to bed every evening.. same time up every morning. and no caffeine after 5pm

*takes a swig of pepsi* 6:22... damn.

Art is long and time is fleeting

Sketchbook
    Website

Thanks
    Honestly, if I have an idea in my head I'm just simply not going to sleep....that simple, I'll get up, grab my stuff and sketch in the lounge of my dorm or grab the wacom. I dont fight it because I may not remember it int he mroning nor think its such a great idea....usually though a glass of chianti will put me out, red wine in small ammounts is good for your heart and personally puts me right asleep....

Last edited by Rabid; March 1st, 2007 at 03:11 AM.

Thanks
    seal off all light in your room - over eat - stick to a schedule - if you wake up in the middle of the night eat until your full - make sure to drink lots of water - make sure you lift weights or do some kind of intense workout other than daily routines and art

blog

Quote Originally Posted by Vhan juju
    I don't know what happend to guys like you gruve24, but whatever it is, it sure has a way of destroying hearts...

Thanks
    hmmm... i usually sleep really well after a smoking or drinking session with my friends. if i'm pretty buzzed when i get ready for bed i'll be out real fast, and i usually wake up refreshed. i rarely get hangovers. maybe its just me so i dont suggest getting drunk just to go to sleep. get drunk, have fun, then sleep.

otherwise, i'm usually just so tired from school and stuff i do during the day that i fall right asleep. these problems everyone's describing are news to me.

Thanks
    sex helps.

Thanks
    If you have a lot of thoughts floating around in your head, if you're worried etc, try writing all things down in abbreviated form (but clear enough to understand the next morning). I usually rip off a cheap sketchbook page or something and keep it next to my bed when I've got a lot of thoughts going on.

This is only if your thinking isn't just random incoherent fantasies. If those thoughts are in my way of getting to sleep I usually "clear my mind" by visualizing my consciousness as a big stream where all my thoughts just float by, leaving me in peace.

SSG 34
    gadammit it's
    The Selenium Six

..seer..alzorath..bunny..max xiantu..liquidjack..beershite..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.